Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
As a fan of both organisational gently caress ups and endless chaos, I must say that this is truly excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I'm going to enjoy it up until Edmonton gets it.

You all know Edmonton is getting it.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The NHL is so stupid.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Crazy that if San Jose hadn’t re-signed Evander Kane then Ottawa would have picked 29th last year and San Jose would be grabbing Stutzle/Byfield at the draft

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
if I'm understanding correctly, these are the three scenarios on the table for Vancouver:

A - Canucks win their play-in round, advance to playoffs, surrender this year's pick to NJ (somewhere between 17-31st OA depending on how far Canucks advance)

B - Canucks lose play-in round, keep this year's pick, get 12.5% chance at 1st overall, otherwise picking somewhere between 9th-13th if they lose lottery, surrender 2021 pick to NJ

C - Season is cancelled and there are no playoffs, with final rankings based on in-conference win% Canucks surrender this year's 17th OA pick to NJ

Correct me if I'm wrong CAS

goldrush fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 27, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol detroit

and lol at some of yall goin from "woo let chaos reign" to "no, not like that"

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
So... how good is Quinton Byfield?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ThinkTank posted:

The "ah gently caress" in his voice is palpable.

If the Canucks lose to Minnesota, this will actually be their best odds at picking 1st overall ever.

Technically their best odds would have been not to have this play in bullshit since they would have won #1 overall lmao

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

stab posted:

Technically their best odds would have been not to have this play in bullshit since they would have won #1 overall lmao

That was Winnipeg's spot not Vancouver's.

goldrush posted:

if I'm understanding correctly, these are the three scenarios on the table for Vancouver:

A - Canucks win their play-in round, advance to playoffs, surrender this year's pick to NJ (somewhere between 17-31st OA depending on how far Canucks advance)

B - Canucks lose play-in round, keep this year's pick, get 12.5% chance at 1st overall, otherwise picking somewhere between 9th-13th if they lose lottery, surrender 2021 pick to NJ

C - Season is cancelled and there are no playoffs, with final rankings based on in-conference win% Canucks surrender this year's 17th OA pick to NJ

Correct me if I'm wrong CAS

Spot on.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

So... how good is Quinton Byfield?

Quite good. People keep making Joe Thornton comparisons because he's 6'4" 200lbs at age 17 and is a pass first guy, but I see a lot of Jamie Benn and Gabe Landeskog. He's for sure a centre at the NHL level and the type of guy you build around. People talk about his skating like it's noteworthy, but it doesn't stand out to me as especially great he's just quicker than average for a guy his size. His shot is fine but he'll likely never be a thirty goal guy. He's a great passer and has above average positoining. He's not an outmuscle defenders power forward, but he's strong and hard to knock off the puck. More a rush guy than a cycler but the OHL is much more that sorta style so he might benefit from learning to slow it down in the offensive zone in the pros. He has the talent and mind to do that, so it won't likely be much of an issue. I'd say you're looking at a 70-85 point top line centre at his peak.

Honestly, he's essentially a direct successor to Kopitar in all facets of his game.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I like it. Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte is a good start to build around down the middle.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

I like it. Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte is a good start to build around down the middle.

Don't forget Madden as well. That's a championship backbone if I've ever seen one and I hate it.

The fact that the Kings can have prospects like Arthur Kaliyev and Akil Thomas not even crack their top 5 is certifiably infuriating.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Quite good. People keep making Joe Thornton comparisons because he's 6'4" 200lbs at age 17 and is a pass first guy, but I see a lot of Jamie Benn and Gabe Landeskog. He's for sure a centre at the NHL level and the type of guy you build around. People talk about his skating like it's noteworthy, but it doesn't stand out to me as especially great he's just quicker than average for a guy his size. His shot is fine but he'll likely never be a thirty goal guy. He's a great passer and has above average positoining. He's not an outmuscle defenders power forward, but he's strong and hard to knock off the puck. More a rush guy than a cycler but the OHL is much more that sorta style so he might benefit from learning to slow it down in the offensive zone in the pros. He has the talent and mind to do that, so it won't likely be much of an issue. I'd say you're looking at a 70-85 point top line centre at his peak.

Honestly, he's essentially a direct successor to Kopitar in all facets of his game.

Now please say something nice about Tim Stützle

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

This was done to put Montreal, Chicago, and the NY Rangers in the "playoffs". If your team loses that play-in round, you aren't technically a playoff team and would be in the lottery.

Was that the actual logic behind the 24 team play-in thing?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Mr. Kite posted:

And the bonus is the Kings kept enough of the good vets to shape and mentor their NHL abilities so the Kings aren’t in a situation where the kids are given the keys to the car without any guidance. See: Edmonton (2009 - 2017).

Byfield and Stutzle is a tough decision but I think you have to go BPA (Byfield is also 17!) and having an overload at center depth like the Kings make some really good prospects (Kupari, Thomas, Vilardi!) somewhat expendable if the Kings down the road need to trade for a blue-chip prospect at wing.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 27, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zegermans posted:

Was that the actual logic behind the 24 team play-in thing?

Yes. Some teams were still in the running, and would never have accepted being dropped when a few wins would have them qualifying.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

heeheex2 posted:

lmfao wtf

Ron MacLean is stuck in hell, Pierre Dorion was a hologram all along, and someone replaced our Elliotte Friedman with his alternative-dimension hardcore prepper version

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Now please say something nice about Tim Stützle

He's in a European league and therefore I have never seen him play. Presumably he's pretty good.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

DJExile posted:

and lol at some of yall goin from "woo let chaos reign" to "no, not like that"

seriously, this is funny as hell. if anything they should make the draft dumber in the future

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Did Detroit tank? They seem like they were a bad team trending downwards for years and are now just feeling the effects of having no top picks for years. I don't think they even sold anyone off. Like, who even on this team in the past 2-3 years was worth anything? Larkin is the only non-prospect who anyone would spend a lot to get.

Looking over their roster, there is a ton of players I recognize, but if I was asked to name players off of their team, I'd be hard pressed to name 3.

e: Just always seems that teams are no longer able to be bad. They are always accused of tanking if they are really bad.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 27, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hall of Famer Ken Holland signed Justin Abdelkader and Frans Nielsen to their current contracts. Does that answer your question?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Twin Cinema posted:

Did Detroit tank? They seem like they were a bad team trending downwards for years and are now just feeling the effects of having no top picks for years. I don't think they even sold anyone off. Like, who even on this team in the past 2-3 years was worth anything? Larkin is the only non-prospect who anyone would spend a lot to get.

Looking over their roster, there is a ton of players I recognize, but if I was asked to name players off of their team, I'd be hard pressed to name 3.

e: Just always seems that teams are no longer able to be bad. They are always accused of tanking if they are really bad.

What I dont get is people will rightly denigrate teams that chase for too long after their window has clearly closed but then when they actually start to rebuild they are "tanking".

Kale
May 14, 2010

Misanthrope posted:

I'm going to enjoy it up until Edmonton gets it.

You all know Edmonton is getting it.

Literally mine and probably most people's first assumption.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

eXXon posted:

Hall of Famer Ken Holland signed Justin Abdelkader and Frans Nielsen to their current contracts. Does that answer your question?

When you have the chance to build your core around those two guys, you just have to jump on it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ken Holland posted:

We purposely built the team wrong, as a joke

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

clean ayers act posted:

What I dont get is people will rightly denigrate teams that chase for too long after their window has clearly closed but then when they actually start to rebuild they are "tanking".

Detroit isn’t rebuilding though.

They’re not tanking either, they’re just terrible.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I personally don't think Detroit was tanking, but I think it might actually be a more flattering to say they did rather than admit that they iced a team worse than the 2013-2015 Buffalo Sabres through incompetence alone.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Aphrodite posted:

Detroit isn’t rebuilding though.

They’re not tanking either, they’re just terrible.

I mean in the last 2 years they've traded away basically every asset that has value except for their young guys. Tatar, Nyquist Athanasiou, Mrazek, Green. I'm not sure how that isn't a rebuild

clean ayers act fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 28, 2020

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
double post

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Oh man seeing the Wings get hosed like this is absolutely beautiful. Too bad that means the Hawks are gonna get 1OA :sigh:

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
is Datsyuk still holed up with that murder priest chopping wood in Siberia?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detroit's basically finishing off the teardown portion before the rebuild. I don't know a lot about their prospect pool but even if they did get the 1st overall pick they were going to move from 31st best team up to like 29. Detroit is a tire fire right now and will be for a while.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
When did "first overall" become 1OA?

Until I figured it out, I kept thinking you guys were saying ten-A.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Detroit is absolutely going to make Edmonton look competent over the next half-decade. Which is loving something.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/UKCBJFans/status/1276834281315319809

Come to Butthead.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Drunk Canuck posted:

Detroit is absolutely going to make Edmonton look competent over the next half-decade. Which is loving something.

The Wings have a strategy and plan, things will improve from here on out. It's really staggering just how little Ken Holland did.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I'm pretty curious to see how Stevie does the next few years. He's got a good resume with Tampa, they were lousy when he got there.

Going off the board for Seider seemed weird last year, but sounds like he's shaping up to be a great prospect.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

As much as I liked chaos I don't like that I can't just root against anyone I don't like in the playins.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

fisting by many posted:

As much as I liked chaos I don't like that I can't just root against anyone I don't like in the playins.

Luckily, my team is below the line so I can root for the playins never even happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1276675990861815808