Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Marketing wants to force *everyone’s* homepage for Chrome to be SharePoint.

Including the setting that does it for every. New. Tab. Which also gets rid of the normal Chrome startup page that keeps track of your most frequently used sites.

People are not gonna be happy with this lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't gently caress with people's homepages

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We set homepages via gpo, but don't lock them so people can change them at will if they'd like.

Most don't

We also don't mess with the chrome new tab page, that's just sadistic

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Fool posted:

We also don't mess with the chrome new tab page, that's just sadistic

Note that it was Marketing that wanted it, so that tracks.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
We don’t block much beyond known bad sites, and as a Gmail shop, Google is wide open. I did get a panicked phone call from EntSec once because I spun up an old laptop to rip a CD and dump it on my personal Gdrive, and they noticed a big bandwidth spike and wanted to know what I was up to. Sorry, I didn’t have a CD drive at home, chill.

We are in the middle of using GPOs to enforce kosher internet for an office in Israel, which is exactly the shitshow you think it is.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

We are in the middle of using GPOs to enforce kosher internet for an office in Israel, which is exactly the shitshow you think it is.

Took me a sec to register the use of the word with its proper meaning, as opposed to the slang term (i.e. "sounds kosher") - that's....yikes.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
How strict are we talking

Like enforced times when they can log in, and something forcing them to log out the moment its the sabbeth?

Or "find a way to disable the power button once a week because electricity"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

devmd01 posted:

Including the setting that does it for every. New. Tab. Which also gets rid of the normal Chrome startup page that keeps track of your most frequently used sites.

They did this in my company as well so I did it then took out the rule that prevented people from changing it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is kosher internet a government thing or an agreed standard or whatever? I always just figured it would be up to the individual to decide how they wanted to interpret their beliefs.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Ghostlight posted:

They did this in my company as well so I did it then took out the rule that prevented people from changing it.

You better believe I’m setting up an exception group to add my computer to and anyone else’s that is in my favor.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Thanks Ants posted:

Is kosher internet a government thing or an agreed standard or whatever? I always just figured it would be up to the individual to decide how they wanted to interpret their beliefs.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Took me a sec to register the use of the word with its proper meaning, as opposed to the slang term (i.e. "sounds kosher") - that's....yikes.

klosterdev posted:

How strict are we talking

Like enforced times when they can log in, and something forcing them to log out the moment its the sabbeth?

Or "find a way to disable the power button once a week because electricity"

It's real and it's spectacular. Vice does a better overall breakdown than I could:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8q8k45/kosher-internet-filters

tl;dr, there are extremely strict rules that have to be put in place for people who follow a certain sect of Judaism, and it usually involves downloading blocking software that an IT rabbi (I'm not kidding) has blessed and approved. They were using a software package before we acquired them that our EntSec team had some SERIOUS issues with, which is why I know it had a rabbi certificate attached (I know you probably don't like clicking on links, but I've had to visit that site on my work computer umpteen times, so...) Now we're having to figure out how to do it with GPOs based on URLs and yes, that's as terrible as it sounds. I'm not involved because I basically told them this is loving ridiculous and played the religious exemption card on my end (lol), but from the sounds of things in our standups, the end result is gonna be telling them this was a proof of concept, and it failed to make it to MVP, and they're on their own.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

Hillaryclinton.com was blocked because she's a woman.

That's quite the filter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

devmd01 posted:

Are you able to tell Marketing to gently caress themselves? Because you really should be able to tell them this, especially now.

It's real and it's spectacular. Vice does a better overall breakdown than I could:
I remember a co-worker in a previous job who used to do building work in London back in the 80's telling a story about working for some kosher construction company and they turned up one Sunday (at double time :getin:) to find that someone had laid some concrete stairs, and they had to be ripped out because they'd make the whole building not kosher. They also used to get to leave work at like 3PM on a Friday and head to the pub because the rules weren't written to take heading that far north into account.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

We don’t block much beyond known bad sites, and as a Gmail shop, Google is wide open. I did get a panicked phone call from EntSec once because I spun up an old laptop to rip a CD and dump it on my personal Gdrive, and they noticed a big bandwidth spike and wanted to know what I was up to. Sorry, I didn’t have a CD drive at home, chill.

well that's just fascinating actually

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8q8k45/kosher-internet-filters

tl;dr, there are extremely strict rules that have to be put in place for people who follow a certain sect of Judaism, and it usually involves downloading blocking software that an IT rabbi (I'm not kidding) has blessed and approved.

This reminds me of a thread back in the archives of Ask/Tell from an ex-Haredim [Haredi Jews are strict Orthodox, and Haredim include Satmar, Chabad Lubavich, and Hasidic groups], that had a current-but-considering-leaving Haredi register to post about their situation in an insular and strict community. It was a fascinating thread and I always wondered what happened to the current-but-wavering Haredi when they stopped posting.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 26, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Arquinsiel posted:

Are you able to tell Marketing to gently caress themselves? Because you really should be able to tell them this, especially now.

I emailed my boss, he’s gonna take it to to the CIO and hopefully this gets squashed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone in sales has been asking people to email scans of their passports into our helpdesk and people did as requested :negative:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Fool posted:

We set homepages via gpo, but don't lock them so people can change them at will if they'd like.

We set the homepage to our intranet site, and lock it so it cannot be changed. But only on store computers. (90% of our machines are located in retail stores and shared use) Corp. office has no such restrictions.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My condolences that you work for a retailer. I started my career and did 7 years at one, and thankfully moved to a new job three years before it imploded and liquidated.

It certainly opened my eyes to how the rank and file out in the field were treated vs. corporate.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having done security for a number of orgs that had retail arms I was amazed to learn how determined employees can be to introduce malware to the network via the tills.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Having done security for a number of orgs that had retail arms I was amazed to learn how determined employees can be to introduce malware to the network via the tills.

When I was in retail management I was entrusted with the super secret exit to desktop password for the tills which was...1. That's it. The number 1.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Thanks Ants posted:

Someone in sales has been asking people to email scans of their passports into our helpdesk and people did as requested :negative:

Asking other employees or asking customers? Why does Sales want passports in the first place? Or is this some hijacked email phishing thing?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Looks like one of the vendors that we sync data with has decided to unilaterally update some of our key integration IDs then send those records back to us.

This has understandably resulted in problems.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

devmd01 posted:

My condolences that you work for a retailer. I started my career and did 7 years at one, and thankfully moved to a new job three years before it imploded and liquidated.

It certainly opened my eyes to how the rank and file out in the field were treated vs. corporate.

I'm glad to work for a very successful retailer that is family owned. (hardware/home center/lumber type stores). We don't have the typical dichotomy between corp. vs store employees you see in much larger retailers, thankfully. Started outta high school and still here going on 20 years. Hell I'll probably retire from here.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

stevewm posted:

I'm glad to work for a very successful retailer that is family owned. (hardware/home center/lumber type stores). We don't have the typical dichotomy between corp. vs store employees you see in much larger retailers, thankfully. Started outta high school and still here going on 20 years. Hell I'll probably retire from here.

Please share your time machine technology since you are obviously posting from no later than the 1970's

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

this data extract has been running for an hour now and there's only so many other things I can do while I wait on it before it looks like i'm goofing off

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Deuce posted:

Asking other employees or asking customers? Why does Sales want passports in the first place? Or is this some hijacked email phishing thing?

This is their way of getting information to credit check people, totally counter to actual policies

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arquinsiel posted:

This, so much this. I wasn't security, but Desktop Support. You can't give them an inch.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Fool posted:

Please share your time machine technology since you are obviously posting from no later than the 1970's

There are still some companies out there with morals that treat employees well. Not many, but they exist. Which is why I've stayed right where I'm at despite other job offers. Money isn't everything.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Arquinsiel posted:

When I was at university, I worked a night shift in the summer manning the front desk in the residence halls we rented out for conferences and visitors. The desk computer had been sorta locked down against malware, but this was 2003 or so, and lol Windows. I knew enough to swamp it out on my own, but without admin rights, I couldn't get very far.

I got mad about 3am when someone installed a browser bar for some Flash game that completely turbofucked the computer, so it was time to email my boss. It being 3am, and me being me, I wrote an informal and colloquial list of what needed to be told to our employees to keep things from getting worse before fall. I said not to send it out until I'd had a chance to sleep on it and make it sound less, "STOP CLICKING OKAY YOU DUMBSHITS," because I thought it was too blunt.

When I woke up, she'd not only replied to thank me, but she'd sent the unedited instructions to the entire department. And also the director of the student and staff IT department. As I sat there, feeling a panic attack start to creep up my spine, I noticed another unread email. From the IT director. Offering me a job, because she liked my style.

(A bunch of my co-workers did think I was a dick, tho, but whatever. They had bad taste in games, so gently caress 'em.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Back in the summer of wannacry I got a store till taken off the network and the IT team actually hauled it into HQ for forensics work, and somehow the store found out I was the person who spotted the malware callbacks so I got angry emails from some shitlord about taking his favourite till away. I just passed it up the chain because that org actually took poo poo seriously.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

this data extract has been running for an hour now and there's only so many other things I can do while I wait on it before it looks like i'm goofing off

I know it’s after the party but:

Print out a copy of a switch confine file. Or a spreadsheet of something, or a bit of code. Hold the papers in your hand and walk around the office randomly while stopping to socialize with your friends.

No lie, people will see you with papers in your hand and think you are doing legitimate work.

I used to use a loop of bootlace and a sharpie as an improvised lanyard to get backstage at shows.

It’s the same principle. People see the prop and assume legitimate intent.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

This, so much this. I wasn't security, but Desktop Support. You can't give them an inch.

If it isn't random malware because they can't treat a work computer as, well, a work computer, it's their phone addictions.

Ask me about the time I drove 200 miles in the middle of the night to "fix" a printer that was "broken" because some selfish poo poo had unplugged it to charge their phone.

Actually, no need to ask me, because that's basically the whole story.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Agrikk posted:

It’s the same principle. People see the prop and assume legitimate intent.

A clipboard effectively makes you invisible. Even a notebook if you have a pen out.

A buddy of mine and I went to the Great American Music Hall in SF for a show and they had the upstairs chained off. We hopped the chain, went upstairs and found a table with a good view of the stage. We dropped a couple of notebooks and pens on the table and waited for the show. A waitress came up to kick us out. Before she could say a word we ordered a couple of martinis. We got the martinis.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mllaneza posted:

A clipboard effectively makes you invisible. Even a notebook if you have a pen out.

A buddy of mine and I went to the Great American Music Hall in SF for a show and they had the upstairs chained off. We hopped the chain, went upstairs and found a table with a good view of the stage. We dropped a couple of notebooks and pens on the table and waited for the show. A waitress came up to kick us out. Before she could say a word we ordered a couple of martinis. We got the martinis.

Glorious.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

larchesdanrew posted:

A job came in :yotj:

That is fantastic! Congratulations!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

end the thread on a high note, that's great. dm me about where we're going :)

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Arquinsiel posted:

10 years ago before I got a Real Job I used to read this very thread (or one of its progenitors) on the POS at the coffee shop I worked at

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
For anyone that's left after the Lowtaxodus, got a question. If you're doing sysadmin or engineering work, how much of your job is cloud-related (excluding O365 email administration)? I'm thinking that my next move might put me back into operations (presently Azure engineering) and I'd like to ensure I'm at least still doing some work with Azure to stay current. Most of the open roles I'm seeing are either all on-prem sysadmin with O365, or all cloud engineering without sysadmin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MJP posted:

For anyone that's left after the Lowtaxodus, got a question. If you're doing sysadmin or engineering work, how much of your job is cloud-related (excluding O365 email administration)? I'm thinking that my next move might put me back into operations (presently Azure engineering) and I'd like to ensure I'm at least still doing some work with Azure to stay current. Most of the open roles I'm seeing are either all on-prem sysadmin with O365, or all cloud engineering without sysadmin.

Azure/AWS engineering is not a common sight for small to midsize business, the most cloud you are going to see there is office365/google cloud service management, aws/azure are expensive so you are likely to see it mass deployed in bigger firms(or fat stacks startups). I mostly get involved in midsized SMB so it's usually VMware hosts running vms for weird software while general purpose services (email/intranet/etc.) are outsourced to microsoft/google. It honestly depends on how you want to end up, i honestly prefer smaller firms, less cash but you feel less of a unnamed cog.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 30, 2020