Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Shoenin posted:

Luso is such a fuckin Legend.

I hated him first time through but he grew on me in subsequent playthroughs. His fashion sense sucks but he's a good dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hi Everyone. Please motivate me. I am 'playing' Chrono trigger and I'm at the bit where... I've just got to some kind of BC area, ... I've already been to the main bc area at least twice, and picked up the cave-lady. In the new bc area everyone is living together in some kind of caves and ladders situation and I think I am supposed to go through a tunnel and fight a boss or something. Is this a good bit? If you need more clarity I'll read a walkthrough 'til I get to the bit where I am and tell you exactly. I suspect it's the last third of the game but I can't remember.

I was enjoying it but just, stopped playing it around 2008 or so. I need motivation to pick it back up!

I also started an FF6 playthrough with some specific person's translation patched in. It's ok so far, I'm doing the locke part at the start, just got Celes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Motivation enclosed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtKCt8Afk9s

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

redreader posted:

Hi Everyone. Please motivate me. I am 'playing' Chrono trigger and I'm at the bit where... I've just got to some kind of BC area, ... I've already been to the main bc area at least twice, and picked up the cave-lady. In the new bc area everyone is living together in some kind of caves and ladders situation and I think I am supposed to go through a tunnel and fight a boss or something. Is this a good bit? If you need more clarity I'll read a walkthrough 'til I get to the bit where I am and tell you exactly. I suspect it's the last third of the game but I can't remember.

I was enjoying it but just, stopped playing it around 2008 or so. I need motivation to pick it back up!

Yes, you're going to want to go through the cave in the Earthbound people's "village" to get the Mountain of Woe. But honestly, Chrono Trigger isn't that long a game; if it's been that long since you played, you may just want to start from the beginning so you have a better memory of what's going on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is Crystal Chronicles the one where one of the players has to carry a thing at all times and cannot participate in fighting?

That sounds bad

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

No, you just have to put it down to fight. I played a bit of 4player ffcc recently, andcthe chalice is actually a pretty clever way of keeping the players together and of deciding which way to go: whoever's goes through the trouble of carrying the cup decides where we go.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

FFXII has too many jobs. I don't know what to make Ashe. All the others had jobs that felt reasonably thematically appropriate, but I don't know know what to do with her

Ashe makes a great anything. I think Knight fits her really well, personally, as do Black Mage, Red Mage, and Bushi. Or really anything. In the sequel game on DS she's a Time Mage.

Also FYI you will eventually be able to have two jobs per character (and also you can change jobs for free any time at the Clan Hall in Rabanastre).

Gripweed posted:

I already made Fran a Black Mage because she's dressed in a black lady wizard type outfit, and Balthier a machinist because he's Han Solo so he should have a gun. Guess I'll do Foebreaker

Oh also a Black Mage tip for you: keep an eye out in shops for the Cherry Staff, Flame Staff, Storm Staff, and Glacial Staff. They boost their corresponding element's damage by 50% (Cherry boosts wind and the others are self-explanatory). Generally they are way more useful weapons for a Black Mage to equip than anything else. Other staves will give you slightly higher attack or magick power, but none of that comes close to straight-up boosting Firaga's damage by 50% by wielding a Flame Staff.

Black Mage is amazingly strong once you get AoE spells, so have fun.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 27, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Agents are GO! posted:

the chalice is actually a pretty clever way of keeping the players together and of deciding which way to go

the chalice is an anchor for the camera because you had to keep four large player models on the same single 480p screen in a non linear game. this is no longer relevant when we have 1080p resolutions and everyone has their own screen :ssh:

it should not have been in the remaster.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

redreader posted:

I also started an FF6 playthrough with some specific person's translation patched in.
I am curious, why do this? Anti-Woolsey gang?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

the chalice is an anchor for the camera because you had to keep four large player models on the same single 480p screen in a non linear game. this is no longer relevant when we have 1080p resolutions and everyone has their own screen :ssh:

it should not have been in the remaster.

Working both together and against each other is a core part of FFCCs experience, it wouldn't have been the same without it, it'd be like giving Dark Souls a difficulty slider.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

bees x1000 posted:

I am curious, why do this? Anti-Woolsey gang?

A goon elsewhere recommended me this version:

"Now this is Final Fantasy VI: Ted Woolsey Uncensored Editon. The goal was to make the SNES version uncut and to clean up the script but keep the nuance used by Woolsey in the original game’s release. Using the original Woolsey script as a basis to analyze, the entire game was looked through, line by line, using FFVI Advance, RPGOne, and Lina Darkstar to accomplish this. Recently, the game’s script was also heavily analyzed by Kwhazit and Mato (Legends of Localization). With these newer and more heavily detailed looks into the game, the script was again updated to provide a much more accurate version while still remaining true to the original game’s release."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Legends of Localization kinda tore it to shreds, iirc. Pointing out that it was even less faithful to the original than the Ted Woolsey version, basically making stuff up.

Maybe that was a different one, I'm not keeping track.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
there's no card/emojis/backgrounds for ff15 in steam? is any part of this game finished

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
apparently FFCC is going to have a free to play version that's just the first three dungeons, unless you play with someone else who has the paid version and then you can do those too:

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-will-have-a-1844175733

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Argh, I thought I was playing a better version than the original snes one, which I had read 'was a bad translation'. I didn't really have any opinions and was asking for recommendations elsewhere and that's the only translation that was recommended. I'm only about 2 hours in but ugh.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

redreader posted:

Argh, I thought I was playing a better version than the original snes one, which I had read 'was a bad translation'. I didn't really have any opinions and was asking for recommendations elsewhere and that's the only translation that was recommended. I'm only about 2 hours in but ugh.

Ff6's Woolsey translations is probably one of the best localizations of that time period so idk who told you that but they're very dumb

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Clarste posted:

Legends of Localization kinda tore it to shreds, iirc. Pointing out that it was even less faithful to the original than the Ted Woolsey version, basically making stuff up.

Maybe that was a different one, I'm not keeping track.

That was the Sky Render version. SR actually went back and LPed his own hack a few years ago since even he admitted it was kinda bad.

No clue about the other mentioned hack. From the LoL stuff the GBA translation is pretty solid and faithful though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ff6's Woolsey translations is probably one of the best localizations of that time period so idk who told you that but they're very dumb

Woolsey owns and all but the SNES translation has a ton of mistakes and gets a lot of poo poo flat-out wrong. That’s not a knock on Woolsey, just the lack of tools and resources he had in addition to the tight time crunch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Woolsey owns and all but the SNES translation has a ton of mistakes and gets a lot of poo poo flat-out wrong. That’s not a knock on Woolsey, just the lack of tools and resources he had in addition to the tight time crunch.

I thought the gba version and the Woolsey version were one and the same so actually I'm the very dumb one it looks like

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok this makes me feel better about it. A changelog (it's now on 2.09) for 2.02 says:

"Another MAJOR update to the script. Recently, Mato of Legends of Localization did a script analysis of Final Fantasy VI. Thanks to his efforts, in addition to Kwhazit's translation notes, TWUE was looked over for script errors and inaccuracies. Much thanks to BlazeHeatnix of RHDN for his massive help in bringing this update. With this update, it still remains true to the projects goals, but is now a better version than it was before! "

So it looks like they took criticisms into account and made changes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Harrow posted:

Ashe makes a great anything. I think Knight fits her really well, personally, as do Black Mage, Red Mage, and Bushi. Or really anything. In the sequel game on DS she's a Time Mage.

Also FYI you will eventually be able to have two jobs per character (and also you can change jobs for free any time at the Clan Hall in Rabanastre).

Oh also a Black Mage tip for you: keep an eye out in shops for the Cherry Staff, Flame Staff, Storm Staff, and Glacial Staff. They boost their corresponding element's damage by 50% (Cherry boosts wind and the others are self-explanatory). Generally they are way more useful weapons for a Black Mage to equip than anything else. Other staves will give you slightly higher attack or magick power, but none of that comes close to straight-up boosting Firaga's damage by 50% by wielding a Flame Staff.

Black Mage is amazingly strong once you get AoE spells, so have fun.

I imagine that they named the Cherry Staff first. The classic image of cherry blossom petals floating in the wind. So the wood the staff is made out of has a connection to the element, great. And then they spent a while trying to figure out what tree is associated with glaciers and just gave up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Do the Legends of Localization thing and play with four different translations simultaneously

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Do the Legends of Localization thing and play with four different translations simultaneously

On this image alone, 'GBA' is closest and 'Fan' is surprisingly bad to the point that Google is somehow objectively better.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

On this image alone, 'GBA' is closest and 'Fan' is surprisingly bad to the point that Google is somehow objectively better.

Fan retranslations of games that already have an official translation seem to always be horrible, either insanely wordy or incredibly boring.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RillAkBea posted:

GBA also expresses an emotion. Which is nice.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Fan retranslations of games that already have an official translation seem to always be horrible, either insanely wordy or incredibly boring.

unless the official translation was just trash in the first place due to technical limitations or simply a terrible translation team, yeah. it's because if there is already a competent official translation, the only people who want to retranslate are people with an intermediate grasp of japanese who think things like "localization" and "natural phrasing" spoil the purity of the original script. or, they are actually 100% competent at correctly rendering the japanese script and it turns out the japanese script was boring as poo poo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

legends of localization posts in which mato soberly points out how a fan translation absolutely misses the entire dang point of a line of dialogue are one of the internets purest forms of pleasure

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

After 25+ years I don't really care if Woolsey got things wrong or not. That's the Final Fantasy VI I know, and I think it's pretty good.

I still want to try Brave New World one day, not sure if they screw with the script.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 27, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have no idea how accurate it is but from a purely writing quality standpoint, the Mother 3 fan translation is probably the best I've ever seen.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
If a game was important enough to me, I think I'd be interested in seeing a literal and wordy translation, to get a better idea of the meaning of a specific passage.

I'd have to really love the game, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

nrook posted:

If a game was important enough to me, I think I'd be interested in seeing a literal and wordy translation, to get a better idea of the meaning of a specific passage.

I'd have to really love the game, though.

The only way to really get that is with translator's notes that explain specific connotations of words or phrases that simply don't translate into English.

Literal translations are pretty much always inaccurate because most of the time characters don't talk like weirdos. Generally, characters talk like normal people. So a "literal" translation that leaves in weird turns of phrases or has everybody calling each other big brother or big sister or straight translates metaphors or word play that doesn't make sense in English, is a really bad translation because it's depicting the characters completely inaccurately.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm a proponent of Woolsey's localization, but unfortunately there are a few areas that are completely wrong. Mato lists a bunch in his 4-localization play through. I think a Woolsey 1.5 patch that went through and just fixed those lines, and left the rest intact, would be worth a look. Considering how his work created the modern Kefka personality, as well as with Ultros, it has a legacy.

There are also lines that are accurate, get past the NoA censors, and still sound better than the other attempts - I will create a monument to non-existence comes to mind.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Gripweed posted:

The only way to really get that is with translator's notes that explain specific connotations of words or phrases that simply don't translate into English.

Literal translations are pretty much always inaccurate because most of the time characters don't talk like weirdos. Generally, characters talk like normal people. So a "literal" translation that leaves in weird turns of phrases or has everybody calling each other big brother or big sister or straight translates metaphors or word play that doesn't make sense in English, is a really bad translation because it's depicting the characters completely inaccurately.

This is true. Too bad there's no easy way to add footnotes to a video game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember one thing nobody missed in the CT DS retransaltion was the fact Frog was the only person in his timeline with that cartoony fake Ol' English dialect.

in the DS version he talks normal, if a bit formal, same as everyone else in...600 AD I think it was.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Frog being a loving renaissance nerd was great, and I think was a neat way of reflecting the dialect he used in the original.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i thought that his anachronistic speech was an aspect of the curse. he tries to speak normally and it comes out full of thines

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jazerus posted:

i thought that his anachronistic speech was an aspect of the curse. he tries to speak normally and it comes out full of thines

Nah, Glenn was just a really Formal character in Japanese, so his speech was played as antiquated speech. It... almost works? Like, you realize you went into the past and Frog's talking like Ye Olde Tyme Knight and you're just like :thumbsup: but you realize something's off about that explanation. And then, at some different point for everyone, you realize that nobody else in 600 AD talks the way Frog does and then you just start giving that nerd the side-eye.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
He just LARPs what he thinks being a true knight is all about.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

I still want to try Brave New World one day, not sure if they screw with the script.

I'm pretty sure the main complaints of that hack are that they screwed with the script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Mr. Locke posted:

Nah, Glenn was just a really Formal character in Japanese, so his speech was played as antiquated speech. It... almost works? Like, you realize you went into the past and Frog's talking like Ye Olde Tyme Knight and you're just like :thumbsup: but you realize something's off about that explanation. And then, at some different point for everyone, you realize that nobody else in 600 AD talks the way Frog does and then you just start giving that nerd the side-eye.
IIRC doesn't Glenn talk normally in flashbacks (SNES Woolsey translation)?