Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ya I've no plans to go there anytime soon.

They said when they reopened 2 weeks ago they were going to turn every other machine off and practice social distancing yet a pic on their FB page shows 2 people playing right next to each other neither of them wearing masks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

mattfl posted:

I’m conflicted, local pinball place just got a Rick and Morty.

Local pinball arcade is in central Florida and I’d rather not catch Covid.

Guess I’ll wait.

It's a lot of fun from what I've played, but I wouldn't risk my health for the experience, it'll still be there when covid ends.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mattfl posted:

Guess I’ll wait.

TPL is my home location, they're taking it pretty seriously (rotating machines on off, etc) and they always had a gallon of hand sanitizer, but yeah i havent been since this all popped off.

if i'd known i'd have gotten several months off i wouldnt have dropped out of the doubles league last season

i'm buying a house, so now i need to find and save up for a nice game to put in it

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/zen_studios/status/1276168193262989312

Been a bit quiet lately on the Pinball FX front because of reasons, but that's about to change mid-July.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Been a bit quiet lately on the Pinball FX front because of reasons, but that's about to change mid-July.

:frogon:

edit: I mean, I think you maxed out the info that's known so far...I just meant, "Go on, Zen, give me more plz."

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

mattfl posted:

Guess I’ll wait.

What arcade is that? We're moving to central Florida in December or so

binaryslacker
Sep 4, 2011

Good Times
Again rip elf

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Macintosh HD posted:

The pinball lounge in Oviedo.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Pinball Lounge is great but I don't see myself going back for a while even if they're being cautious. It sucks because last time I had just learned how to properly stand at the machine while playing for better reaction times/ball control and nudging. Managed to get the jump rope record on Champion Pub as a result.

The key is to not have your head directly over the flippers and just move back a bit.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Zeether posted:

The key is to not have your head directly over the flippers and just move back a bit.

well, lots of people use lots of different stances, from 'bellying up their fat gut to the lockdown bar' to 'hovering over the machine dancing to the music on their earbuds while barely reaching the flipper buttons'. certain machines with lots of points or scoring objectives on the top of the field sometimes require a different stance too. i play my best when im exhausted, personally, so lovely posture for me leads to better pinball

on another note, the recently forced to rename itself District 82 Pinball in DePere, Wisconsin is streaming a pingolf tournament today and you can win stuff by commenting on the Twitch stream:

https://twitch.tv/foxcitiespinball

definitely play there if you can (not now, once covid is over, these people are idiots) because it rules hard

boar guy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 27, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Macintosh HD posted:

Ya like deviant said The Pinball Lounge in oviedo, it's inside a bowling alley which is kinda weird, but, they've expanded so much since they first opened it's crazy.

Also, welcome future Central Florida goon!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah I remember going to TPL back when they had like, 10 machines and now they have I think 30 crammed in there. It rules. They have a $10 all you can play night on Fridays.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

boar guy posted:

on another note, the recently forced to rename itself District 82 Pinball in DePere, Wisconsin is streaming a pingolf tournament today and you can win stuff by commenting on the Twitch stream:

Heh. Hadn't seen the news on the name change. WTF, Packers. Don't be petty. How many businesses around Green Bay use that in their name? I would assume it's dozens. Did they all get C&D letters?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

Heh. Hadn't seen the news on the name change. WTF, Packers. Don't be petty. How many businesses around Green Bay use that in their name? I would assume it's dozens. Did they all get C&D letters?

got my merch:

got a t shirt too but ill never fit in to it in one million years

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls
I'm really missing other games right now and having a harder time motivating myself to play Sword of Rage knowing that there won't be tournaments for quite a while.

Apparently the local pinball bar is doing some speakeasy poo poo and inviting regulars to play rather illegally and I'm not sure I trust the Libertarian owner that doesn't wash his hands to keep things clean... :shepface:

This sucks, my dudes!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

A while back I played Night Moves at a con and if I could afford any pinball machine ever I'd buy that. It packs so much into so little space and has sick music. Only problem is it's also Gottlieb System 80B :gonk:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

The Ghoul posted:

I'm really missing other games right now and having a harder time motivating myself to play Sword of Rage knowing that there won't be tournaments for quite a while.

Apparently the local pinball bar is doing some speakeasy poo poo and inviting regulars to play rather illegally and I'm not sure I trust the Libertarian owner that doesn't wash his hands to keep things clean... :shepface:

This sucks, my dudes!

Think about it this way, how much higher are you going to be in the standings once all your competitors are ravaged by Covid?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Zeether posted:

A while back I played Night Moves at a con and if I could afford any pinball machine ever I'd buy that. It packs so much into so little space and has sick music. Only problem is it's also Gottlieb System 80B :gonk:

cocktail tables are really cool imho and would make a rad coffee table but my wife would never allow it. the living room/dining room/kitchen are the 'grownup' space :)

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Deviant posted:

The pinball lounge in Oviedo.

mattfl posted:

Ya like deviant said The Pinball Lounge in oviedo, it's inside a bowling alley which is kinda weird, but, they've expanded so much since they first opened it's crazy.

Also, welcome future Central Florida goon!

Thanks! I'm used to the splendor of NJ's Silverball Museum, but I'm glad pinball won't be too far from Minneola when we move.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's also a Silverball Museum in Delray Beach. Been there several times and they've got a wonderful woodrail collection, with some rare stuff like the EM version of Mata Hari.

Oh, and they got this:

Free Play Florida in November is also a good time for pinball, but I think they're gonna have to cancel this year given how COVID has been going in the state. The last time I volunteered to run the tourney there was fun, I got to shoot the breeze with a few of the players during semifinals/finals. There was also the one time Stern brought several new Ghostbusters machines to show off and the scream feature kept going off every 10 minutes or so...

Zeether fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 28, 2020

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

Gann Jerrod posted:

Think about it this way, how much higher are you going to be in the standings once all your competitors are ravaged by Covid?

Hell yeah finally breaking 10k!

But seriously, the next city over has a huge bar with like 90 pins that's supposed to reopen soon and so far they're committed to keeping people safe by checks notes putting out hand sanitizer.

It's fuckin' ridiculous, they're boxes people touch and breathe all over.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zeether posted:

Free Play Florida in November is also a good time for pinball, but I think they're gonna have to cancel this year given how COVID has been going in the state. The last time I volunteered to run the tourney there was fun, I got to shoot the breeze with a few of the players during semifinals/finals. There was also the one time Stern brought several new Ghostbusters machines to show off and the scream feature kept going off every 10 minutes or so...

I can guarantee that TMNT Is gonna drive people nuts Frankenstein style with the theme song playing during multiball.

Also, TNMT gives me serious Tron vibes in a good way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Idea: Covid-themed table.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just a loving rock and and a pair of clubs in a cave

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

mainly finished the LED job on the F-14, just gotta do the few left that require committing to taking the wireforms off, which will have to wait until after an impending move. love it or hate it, you gotta admit that at least the inserts are the right color now :) :

https://vimeo.com/434806145

it is a little bright at the start of multiball but knowing where that first ball is getting kicked out oughta be a house advantage anyway ;)

boar guy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 2, 2020

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Looks great man, that machine responds especially well to LEDs. If you get bored a fun project is adding flashers back to the empty domes. It’s pretty rudimentary wiring and the game is already programmed to run them at multiball start. I also think a red LED display in that game is one of the coolest mods in all of pinball.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

Looks great man, that machine responds especially well to LEDs. If you get bored a fun project is adding flashers back to the empty domes. It’s pretty rudimentary wiring and the game is already programmed to run them at multiball start. I also think a red LED display in that game is one of the coolest mods in all of pinball.

thanks! not to be a shill but the guys at comet were great. even sent me some additional lights when i pointed out an issue with their F-14 conversion kit. can't wait to finish the plastics and then the paint. i think i've learned enough on this machine to feel comfortable purchasing another in nearly any condition

it's weird, i don't have any empty flasher domes, just a couple of holes that look like where wires would have gone, yet the machine is early enough in the production run to have white flashers in the back instead of red.

anyone know what this might mean? it's installed above the start button:

boar guy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 3, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is it badge from the original owner? Family Amusement Corporation is a pinball operator that dates back to 1971.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

boar guy posted:

thanks! not to be a shill but the guys at comet were great. even sent me some additional lights when i pointed out an issue with their F-14 conversion kit.

I live near Ryan and (used to) see him at tournaments. Really nice guy, always helpful with pinball issues and strategies. I'm happy to be a shill, buy stuff from Comet Pinball!

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
i don't have a pin but i'll just buy a bunch of leds and shove em in my pockets

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Kouerson posted:

i don't have a pin but i'll just buy a bunch of leds and shove em in my pockets

I think this is a fanastic idea!

Question: what size sling rubbers are right for newer Sterns? Metallica's manual says 2", and that's the size Marco includes in their Metallica rubber kit, but it's way too tight and makes the sling kicks comically weak. I'm thinking about ordering Titan sling rubbers, some dude on their database seems to say 2 1/4" but I've also seen 2 1/2" online. Anybody know which is right?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

2.5” is the industry standard. Metallica has a dual inlane setup so it may use smaller sling assemblies. I know the Lawlor ones do but can’t remember if Borg does on his or not.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

A lot of newer Sterns, including MET, use 2 inch slings.
Check the gap on the switches. If not, try a different rubber band. Some manufacturer are not great lately.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

2.5” is the industry standard. Metallica has a dual inlane setup so it may use smaller sling assemblies. I know the Lawlor ones do but can’t remember if Borg does on his or not.

Snacksmaniac posted:

A lot of newer Sterns, including MET, use 2 inch slings.
Check the gap on the switches. If not, try a different rubber band. Some manufacturer are not great lately.

Thanks for the help, ya'll! The 2" bands sent by Marco's definitely do not fit -- I was able to pull them over the sling but because they're so tight, the slings only kick back into each other. I'm going to order 2.25" and 2.5" sling bands from Titan. Could also be because of the rubber Marco's uses, but having at least an extra quarter inch will make me feel better about the band not breaking the slingshot mechanism.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

y'all wanna do an FX3 tourney or something since no one can actually play with anyone much right now?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

boar guy posted:

y'all wanna do an FX3 tourney or something since no one can actually play with anyone much right now?

Yes

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

boar guy posted:

Extremely yes

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

okay i set up a little one table tournament on FishTales since i know everyone has it, and if it gets a good response ill expand to more tables and a longer time frame for the next one

pretty sure the game is cross platform so you can play on anything. tournament set up, extra balls on, unlimited plays, so feel free to grind on it while you shelter from covid

look for SonOfADiddly's room, the password is goonball

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

in case anyone can't find it, you open up the tournament tab from the main menu (bottom right) then scroll through the active tourneys until you find the one you're looking for. there's a scroll bar to the right of the tournament names which, due to zen's u.i. decisions, might be real hard to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

The Voice of Labor posted:

in case anyone can't find it, you open up the tournament tab from the main menu (bottom right) then scroll through the active tourneys until you find the one you're looking for. there's a scroll bar to the right of the tournament names which, due to zen's u.i. decisions, might be real hard to see.

There's also a filter to search for a specific player's tournament.