Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

This is a thread for discussing Project Moon's Lobotomy Corporation and its sequel Library of Ruina. They're PC games, they're on Steam.

Our vaguely futuristic dystopia is once again facing an energy crisis and those mad scientists at Lobotomy Corp have the solution: harvesting energy from unfathomable hell monsters! Step into the shoes of newly hired manager X and guide your irreplaceable employees through the hazardous process of working with and/or beating down a constantly growing assortment of horrible SCPs abnormalities.

Setup Phase

At the beginning of most days you select one of three randomly chosen abnormalities to add to your facility.

Hire employees, assign them to departments, and equip them with gear produced from working with abnormalities.

Employees have 4 stats. Fortitude is their maximum HP, if they run out of HP they die. When they die they take all of their equipment with them and you really don't want that. Prudence is their maximum SP (sanity points), if they run out of SP they go nuts. Temperance affects how good they are at working with abnormalities and Justice is how good they are at fighting abnormalities. These stats increase as they work with abnormalities.

Management Phase

When you send someone to work with an abnormality you select from one of four "work types". Abnormalities have preferences and respond better to some kinds of work than others. The type of work chosen will also increase the employee's stats.

A series of dice rolls ensues. Good results give you one point toward your daily energy quota, bad results have the abnormality deal their chosen flavor of damage to the employee in the chamber.

Good results also give you "unique boxes" which can be spent to unlock the abnormality's information and background story and produce equipment to hand out to your employees.

Once you collect enough energy you can end the day, but every time you work with an abnormality the "Qliphoth Meltdown meter" fills by one tick. Once it fills you'll be forced to work with any (randomly chosen) melting down units. Failing to do so within 60 seconds will immediately drop their "Qliphoth counters" to zero, triggering some kind of penalty effect or causing them to escape their cells.

When abnormalities get out they'll need to be beaten back into their tanks. You can drag a box around employees to select and send them to where the problem is, or click on the threat or its empty cell and choose people for suppression that way. You can't directly control employees within rooms, they'll automatically attack anything hostile, but you can order them away from rooms as a way to remove them from immediate danger.

Complete missions to unlock valuable upgrades. These are huge, you should make an effort to get them done as soon as you possibly can.

Hold on, what's that in the corner there? That's right, this game is anime. There are brief story segments in between each management day. Get to know your unfortunate AI co-workers and delve into the deepest and darkest secrets of Lobotomy Corp.

The Steam page says this is a "rogue-lite" what's up with that?

So you can retry days at any time, returning everything to exactly the way it was during the setup phase.

Every five days (day 1, day 6, day 11, etc) you'll see a notification about this "memory repository" save. When you return to a memory repository save you keep all unlocked abnormality information, EGO gear, completed missions, and researched upgrades, but your employees will be returned to their status at the time the save was made. Any dead employees will be alive again, but all stat growth and any EGO gifts earned in that time will be lost. Abnormality selection before days will again be randomized. Returning to day 1 from the main menu works the same way, you'll go back with everything except your employees.

There's so much more to this game but this op is already ridiculous and much of the fun is in learning things for yourself. Don't be afraid to memory repository or even day 1 reset if things are getting too hot for you. This game is infamously difficult and almost no one completes the game in one run. :siren: Play the tutorial and press F1 to check the exhaustive manual. :siren:

What if I'm not into this SCP thing?

It's ok I'm not either, this game is great on its own.

Legacy versions

You might have seen videos of or played much older versions of Lobotomy Corp. It changed a lot over the course of its development, if the screenshots in this thread don't look familiar to you then you've just about got a completely new game to look forward to here. :toot:

The English translation

Project Moon are Korean developers. They paid an arm and a leg for an English translation and got completely ripped off. The community tried to fix it up but it wasn't until May of this year that the game finally got updated with a good translation. It's fine now, but if you go looking up videos of the game on youtube be aware that almost all of them will show off the old cruddy translation.

:siren: The memory leak :siren:

Lobotomy Corp leaks like crazy and it probably isn't ever going to be fixed. I'm not sure how much RAM you really need but you probably shouldn't try to play this game with less than 8 GB. Don't immediately panic if it hitches on a load screen, go take a walk and by the time you get back it'll probably have recovered. Once you get into the back half of the game it's a good idea to close and restart it at least every few days.

Mods

You can drop custom employee art right into the game's directories but you'll need Basemod for anything more than that. The Nexus has a decent selection and the Russian wiki is another good place to find them. I wouldn't say any are required to enjoy the game and some are absolutely cheating but here's some goodies:

More detailed information - shows percentage chance of work success and how many stat points employees have gained during the day
Customize employee appearance for free - not that 1 LOB point is that much
Customize employee appearance after hiring - changing names is kind of buggy, try to get it right when you hire them
Fix weapon display bug - sometimes weapons don't show up correctly in employees' hands
Fix broken gifts - some of the EGO gifts just don't apply their effects
Fix Chesed research - one of Chesed's upgrades doesn't work correctly

Spoilers

Most of the fun of Lobotomy Corp is in discovery. It's like the central mechanic of the game. We have to accept a certain minimum amount of spoilers to talk about this game at all but use your head, be considerate, and do NOT spoil poo poo that other people would obviously want to discover on their own. Interesting abnormality details, plot developments, cool late game surprises, put it all in spoiler tags. Be cool about it.

Click here for TeeQueue's currently ongoing Lobotomy Corp LP[img]https://i.imgur.com/VICZI2V.gif[b][/img]

He explains the game's mechanics much better than I did in this op, you should check it out (but not post spoilers in his thread). I took a bunch of his images for this op hope he's cool with it

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Library of Ruina is a story sequel to Lobotomy Corporation but instead of a management sim it's a card battle, pen and paper-inspired RPG (without any rogue-lite aspect). It picks up immediately from Lob Corp's 100% ending and :siren: spoils the hell out of it. :siren: It's currently in early access on Steam and is planned to receive regular (weekly?) updates until December. It's been developing in a serial fashion with each weekly update including a new story episode. The price will probably increase over time.

Set Up

You control the librarians who are stationed on each floor of the library. Each is equipped with a "key page" that dictates their stats, strengths, weaknesses, and appearance. Key pages have a "combat bookshelf" that holds the 9 pages (cards) you utilize in battles. Key pages level up from battles, or by feeding other key pages to them (Realize Page). Yeah the terminology is kind of a mess right now.

You offer up books and battle the guests who come to take them. At this point it's mostly just specific combinations of books triggering story battles, but there are a handful of "general invitations" you can play by putting up random sets of books. They're probably going to add a lot more of those in the future.

Before the battle you select which floor and group of librarians will meet the guests. "Acts" are the number of enemy groups you'll have to beat. After winning or losing an act the HP of any surviving participants is not restored, but if there are more floors available for reception you're able to move the fight to another, healthier group of librarians.

Battles

At the beginning of every turn, all characters roll their speed dice (press space). You can then mouse over the enemies' dice to see which cards they're going to play and who their targets are. Then you click on your own characters' dice to select their cards and targets, and press space again to set things going.

:siren: Important: :siren: if your character has a higher speed roll than an enemy they can force that enemy to target them instead of whoever their intended target is. Use this to divert damage away from party members who are weak or who don't have a good answer in their hand for what's coming their way.

Cards cost "light" to play, they're the little yellow pips above character's heads. At least one light is restored every turn, and when a character's "emotion level" increases all of their light is refilled and their max increases by one.

When two characters target one another "clashes" occur as their cards' dice are rolled against each other one after another. In the case of red vs. red the winning roll is dealt as damage to the loser, ties deal no damage. Block dice deal stagger damage when they're higher than an opposed roll. Evasion dice aren't "used up" for as long as they continue to win clashes, or until they're replaced by another die. If an attack is made against someone who isn't reciprocating then any offensive dice will be rolled and deal damage uncontested.

There's a lot more going on so check out the wiki for more information: https://library-of-ruina.fandom.com/wiki/Reception

After winning battles you collect your unfortunate guests as books and can "burn" them to extract pages in the style of gacha ccg booster packs or leave them as books to offer in future invitations. If you lose you forfeit the books you put on the invitation.

Mods

LoR Basemod already exists but people aren't doing much with it yet, and I'm not sure how well it plays with languages that aren't Korean. But unlike Lob Corp, this game has Steam Workshop support for custom character art. There's LC spoilers in there so visit at your own risk.

It's difficult to talk about this game without throwing out spoilers for its predecessor. If people can't handle it sharing a thread with Lob Corp I guess we could split it off to its own thread. Again, please exercise common sense with spoiler tags.

Side Materials

The Project Mooniverse is growing quickly, they've got a couple of side projects going on this POSTYPE site. These don't seem to be required reading but do build the world out a little more.

WonderLab - Lobotomy Corporation Comics

Currently updating weekly, a webcomic about the employees at Lobotomy Corporation's O-5681 Branch and their own struggles with abnormalities. The two most recent chapters are always behind a paywall. Doesn't seem to spoil anything.

The Distortion Detective

I want to call it a light novel? Private detectives Moses and Ezra investigate the "distortions" that have recently begun manifesting in the city. Updates on an infrequent basis, and unfortunately the English version is far behind the Korean because the translators are busy with Ruina's furious update schedule. :siren: Contains spoilers for Lobotomy Corp. :siren:

The Pianist

A short story on Library of Ruina's website. It hasn't been officially translated to English yet but a fan posted a translation on the Steam forums. Has to do with an event that gets regular mention in Ruina but doesn't really spoil anything by itself.

This real-rear end cafe

https://twitter.com/Ham_PangPang/status/1286198784490315776

Opening August 1st (if you live in S. Korea)

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 24, 2020

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Real big fan of this franchise. Inspired by TeeQueue's LP, I raced through Lobcorp making every mistake imaginable and am now impatiently waiting for LoR updates.

I also have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing in these games. The world is really interesting as you uncover bits and pieces of it, and the characters all turn out to be very likeable I'm their own ways, even as you hate them.

Also I'm a slut for weird mysticism overtures and the Kabbalah theme is just 10,000% my poo poo

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Still very early into my first run of this, but jeez, O-05-47 is the rudest troll of an abnormality.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

lets hang out posted:

I took a bunch of his images for this op hope he's cool with it

It’s for a good cause, I can’t complain. :v:

-47 is hilarious, though, until you accidentally delete all your equipped EGO with it.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 27, 2020

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Real big fan of this franchise. Inspired by TeeQueue's LP, I raced through Lobcorp making every mistake imaginable and am now impatiently waiting for LoR updates.

I also have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing in these games. The world is really interesting as you uncover bits and pieces of it, and the characters all turn out to be very likeable I'm their own ways, even as you hate them.

Also I'm a slut for weird mysticism overtures and the Kabbalah theme is just 10,000% my poo poo

I owned Lob Corp before the LP started but hadn't played too much of it. The LP coincided with me suddenly having a lot more free time on weekdays so like you I really tore through it. Ended up liking both the gameplay and the story a lot more than I expected to.

TeeQueue posted:

-47 is hilarious, though, until you accidentally delete all your equipped EGO with it.

Does that still happen? I'm confident that I did the thing in every possible way to do it but luckily nothing ever happened to my stuff.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
If you click on it ~5 times in a row during the day, it crashes the game. If you crash the game, it autosaves because it unlocks the thing’s name.

But if it’s already killed everyone before crashing the game because you clicked on it, then when it saves that you’ve unlocked the name it saves EVERYTHING, including that everyone died, so you lose their gear.

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature! :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh jesus. I didn't know it could do that during the day, guess just one click was enough for me.

just click it on the setup screen folks, your precious employees are invincible there :kiddo:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 27, 2020

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The kabbalah stuff in this game/series was such a relief to find because for once it’s actually vaguely appropriate and not just a culturally insensitive attempt at appropriating depth through symbology

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Another person who started the game up because of TeeQue's LP

I've made it up to day 40 so far and my biggest takeaway, besides the awesome aesthetic of basically everything, is screw D-04-108.

I got it in a memory imprint day and didn't want to reset back to the beginning and I hate it so much. Having to take its state into account for almost every work feels like it adds a whole other level to the gameplay loop that makes things way more taxing than they would be otherwise.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So Library of Ruina has been my latest obsession and though it took me a long while to understand the mechanics, everything just eventually clicked into place.

I was glad to see abnormalities make their return but man Forsaken Murderer was an absolute pain in the rear end and took numerous tries for me to defeat. On the other hand, Today’s Shy Look was pretty easy and is absurdly strong once you can use it.

I’ve yet to defeat Love Town and oh my god that story is so loving dark. The game in general is pretty dark and helps paint the image that the world is terrible.

Plus the opening song of Library of Ruina is soooooo good. I always let it play when it comes on.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 27, 2020

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I’ve yet to defeat Love Town and oh my god that story is so loving dark. The game in general is pretty dark and helps paint the image that the world is terrible.

I think this was one of the greatest bits of LoR so far. It's a pretty classic Sci-Fi story about teleportation loving up and being trapped in 'an instant' forever, but they go places with it. It was great to see even Angela lose her cool in response to it.

Deckbuilding has also been a lot of fun though I'm struggling to put together coherent strategies that aren't just (minor mechanics spoilers I guess) stack an entire team of two-dice, slap the best cards I can find of a certain damage type on each librarian so that they're specialized, and just go to town on whatever looks at me funny

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I decided to play Lobotomy Corp and managed to get O-02-56 as my first anomaly :allears:.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

So Library of Ruina has been my latest obsession and though it took me a long while to understand the mechanics, everything just eventually clicked into place.

I was glad to see abnormalities make their return but man Forsaken Murderer was an absolute pain in the rear end and took numerous tries for me to defeat. On the other hand, Today’s Shy Look was pretty easy and is absurdly strong once you can use it.

Plus the opening song of Library of Ruina is soooooo good. I always let it play when it comes on.

Re: Forsaken Murderer, that fight took me more tries than any other even once I swapped to a full-bleed deck just because my rolls are terrible so I lost clashes and never inflicted status effects and got facerolled. It's a bit of a :rolldice: fight, tbh. I also keep screwing up with Today's Shy Look, because I'm used to aiming for the smile and the game now wants you to aim for the angry face to deal the most damage.

As for Love Town, here's what I did: I set one floor up to be GUN FLOOR, and used an evade-based Walter+two full guns and 1 of the gun/melee hybrid pages. I took out the first floor with that, then on the second floor I brought the 3 blobs down to ~10 or less hp before getting facerolled. This makes sure they're as weakened as possible for the second floor you use.

As for that second floor: Four agents, all with 2-dice books, all with 3x Wait up! (molar office), 3x Flash of Sunup (dawn office), 2x Opportunity Spotted, and 1x Observe (Gaze office). I put them on Hod's floor, I think? (The one with Red Shoes for Allure.) Use Flash of Sunup/Wait Up! on the blobs to kill them quickly and draw through the deck, try to get allure, then on turn 3 you want to focus on Tomerry with everyone using Observe+wait up, then Turn 4 you just go all in with 8x Opportunity Spotted. It deals... damage. Lots of damage. The rest of the fight is largely academic at that point.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I feel like I'm just waiting for something to go wrong. My first abnormalities are Punishing Bird, Today's Shy Look and Mirror of Readjustment which frankly seems absurd. Granted, I've had to restart a day or two because Today's Shy Look would suddenly change to negative just as my workers go in and promptly kills them but being able to train Justice more than makes up for it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly, after the events of the thread so far I'm starting to feel like if you get Mirror in the opening you might not want to get a Justice trainer early. Since Justice is more expensive to buy than the other 3 stats, the idea would be to train those stats and move them into Justice via mirror. Then again... it's good to have an option available to train when the mirror spins you into a 3/2/3/1 or something, so it's like...

I'm conflicted, but my lizard brain still says JUSTICE GOOD, so I guess I'll stick with that. :v:

edit: and now that I've RETHOUGHT about it, justice getting reduced to 1 is horrible without a quick way to farm it back up and contribute to your training, so yes JUSTICE GOOD is probably the correct play.

I swear I'm good at this game, you guys. :eng99:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 27, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

TeeQueue posted:

Honestly, after the events of the thread so far I'm starting to feel like if you get Mirror in the opening you might not want to get a Justice trainer early. Since Justice is more expensive to buy than the other 3 stats, the idea would be to train those stats and move them into Justice via mirror. Then again... it's good to have an option available to train when the mirror spins you into a 3/2/3/1 or something, so it's like...

I'm conflicted, but my lizard brain still says JUSTICE GOOD, so I guess I'll stick with that. :v:

edit: and now that I've RETHOUGHT about it, justice getting reduced to 1 is horrible without a quick way to farm it back up and contribute to your training, so yes JUSTICE GOOD is probably the correct play.

I swear I'm good at this game, you guys. :eng99:

So I used the mirror a bunch and somehow, I managed to have one of my agents roll into a 4 Justice. Time to boost their stats with the LOB I've accumulated cause everything else was like 1 or 2.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

So I used the mirror a bunch and somehow, I managed to have one of my agents roll into a 4 Justice. Time to boost their stats with the LOB I've accumulated cause everything else was like 1 or 2.

Oh god that's one of the most :hellyeah: feelings in the entire game, enjoy your new badass.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I think I picked up another Justice trainer by accident? I spent research on F-02-44 and apparently repression is good on them? I've never seen them before. Also one of my agents got killed by Crimson Dawn so I needed to restart. Is there a way to tell how much health they have or is it a case of needing to research it?

EDIT: NEVER MIND. I sent in my super agent and they promptly got murdered. RESET.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 27, 2020

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

I think I picked up another Justice trainer by accident? I spent research on F-02-44 and apparently repression is good on them? I've never seen them before. Also one of my agents got killed by Crimson Dawn so I needed to restart. Is there a way to tell how much health they have or is it a case of needing to research it?

Healthbars unlock with a research in the Info department, before then there's not a way to see it. As for -44... Repression is good on it, and it also serves as a passable Insight trainer as well.

EDIT: ah, i see you saw its ability.

This is why I call it 'Literally just 1.76 but worse.'

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 27, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Ok, that was nightmarish. I can already tell this abnormality is going to be a pain. Also, the only abnormality I have that can escape at the moment is Punishing Bird, but they haven't escaped yet.

I thought it would be more scary to learn about how to play the game, but it's turning out to be not that bad to learn and it's pretty enjoyable minus the whole "employees dying and having to reset the day".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aha, god drat.

I got O-05-76 in my game this last day. And no matter what I did to it, I couldn't get a single work success. Any work type, any level of agent, nothing; it just kept failing and breaking out, killing people and forcing me to reset.
I couldn't figure out what it wanted, wasn't getting any PE-boxes to unlock the managerial advice even if I let a bunch of agents die for it, and worse I was on day 21 so if I wanted to reload from repository to get rid of it I'd have to start right over from day 1.

Then I had an inkling. It was a stupid idea, surely that wasn't what was going on. But I tried just not looking at it and that turned out to be what you had to do.

Absolute bastard. I love this game.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

OH GOD I GOT WALL GAZER AND IT KEEPS JUMP SCARING ME AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I love this thread already. :allears:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Okay, so basically I accidentally sent a Temperance 1 person to work on Wall Gazer who proceeded to lose their mind. Punishing Bird had also escaped and then everyone in the facility started losing their minds when I tried to suppress my first crazy agent then another went crazy and ended up killing them and it all blew up in flames. I hate Wall Gazer.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Okay, so basically I accidentally sent a Temperance 1 person to work on Wall Gazer who proceeded to lose their mind. Punishing Bird had also escaped and then everyone in the facility started losing their minds when I tried to suppress my first crazy agent then another went crazy and ended up killing them and it all blew up in flames. I hate Wall Gazer.

I'm going to guess that the person in question was all 1s, with Temp-highest, and they started running around like a madman? Chasing after them will wind up getting more W damage dealt to your agents as they run and scream, which will eventually panic spiral everyone.

If it happens again, just avoid them or hang out in the main room, and let punishing bird fix them. There's a thing in its management info that comes in handy for situations specifically like this.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 27, 2020

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh yeah Wall Gazer is an absolute bastard, and I had an information department with her, Grave of Cherry Blossoms, and 1.76 Mhz in it along with a tool in my "only use for five seconds if it meltdowns" pile. I was so glad to nuke that facility in loop 1 after the button incident.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I think the agent had higher stats, but I can't remember for certain. Luckily, my workers have high enough Fortitude that I can use red work on Wall Gazer and succeed most of the time. So I've got some weird Samurai armour and a heart now. Not the worst department, but now I've got to do attachment work for Yesod's quest and there's no way in hell I'm doing any attachment work with Wall Gazer and also the samurai armour kills anyone doing attachment work while given it's boost so I'm guessing attachment is not a thing in my Information Department.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Fortunately you don't have to do the attachment work in Yesod's department, so just have someone work with our best skull friend a few times.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for making this thread, because I've been completely stuck on (Seraph's name) Gebura Missions. I've done the first one, scratched my head at the second and I'm pre-emptively pissing my pants for the rest. Good WAW and ALEPH anomalities to aim for?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I got Warm-Hearted Woodsman who proceeded to kill me instantly because I sent in a Temperance 3 agent at the beginning and now I've got Laetitia who is a good girl who has done nothing wrong in her life.

EDIT: So I just got Violet Noon :stonk: One of them spawned in base room of the training room and instakilled my entire team there. What in the actual gently caress.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 27, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

EDIT: So I just got Violet Noon :stonk: One of them spawned in base room of the training room and instakilled my entire team there. What in the actual gently caress.

No one ever forgets their first Violet Noon.

In fact, I think it's designed specifically to make sure you don't. They don't show up until you have a Training or Safety team, and they only have the one spawn location in those departments, so if you're not expecting it that will happen.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks for making this thread, because I've been completely stuck on (Seraph's name) Gebura Missions. I've done the first one, scratched my head at the second and I'm pre-emptively pissing my pants for the rest. Good WAW and ALEPH anomalities to aim for?

If you haven't already it's a good idea to complete (middle sephira) Chesed's missions before continuing with hers. You'll want those upgrades.

middle tier, right side mission spoilers:

WAW - you can suppress the same one five times for this mission. King of Greed is a popular choice, she's dead simple to take down without any casualties other than clerks. Little Red isn't bad if you've got any really good red armor, you can have someone wearing that and shielded pretty much solo her. Uhhh, Alriune is a lot like King of Greed but easier to gently caress up and takes even longer? I hate that thing.

ALEPH - you'll need three different ones for this mission, but a lot of these really just come down to damage races. Either you've got the gear to take them or you just don't. For now I'd grab any you can just to scoop up as much of their equipment as possible. The rabbits can take most of the ALEPHs so you really only need to handle two of them yourself.

just noticed they put out a second story update for Ruina this week god drat

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 27, 2020

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Oh my god, I just beat Gebura's Meltdown and it was INSANE.

I managed to get through the first two phases by having my maxed out Captain of Welfare wear the Justitia weapon and suit, use the Child of the Galaxy's Pebble, the Heart of Aspiration, and my brand new Knight of Despair's blessing to tank while having a bunch of ranged people shoot at her from the other doorway. I had to pull out the tank for the third phase, lost a few people to that Pale AOE she puts out, but managed to get through it.

And then that final phase. I didn't know what to expect, and so was very surprised when she left the room and slaughtered like half a dozen people on the way to her mark. And of course, those deaths caused the Mountain to break out, which caused both the Firebird and Little Red to break out and start killing things. The game turned into a frantic dance of trying to micro all of my weaker people away from all of the marauding abnormalities while keeping my fighters near but not in Red Mist's way until she got tired from chasing people.

Final count was that 18/30 people died, but I did succeed and only lost like half of my high level agents. And the bonus seems like it'll be incredibly helpful if things keep escalating as they have been.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

How do you deal with Green Noons? I thought I had decent gear but I just ended up getting decimated by them when they appeared.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

jimmydalad posted:

How do you deal with Green Noons? I thought I had decent gear but I just ended up getting decimated by them when they appeared.

If you don't have the gear/stats to tank them outright, then I've found a decent strategy is to keep your attackers in a room next to the robots until they shut down. Once they shut down, rush in, deal as much damage as you can, and leave when you see them starting back up. Rinse and repeat for the rest of them.

Ranged EGOs can also be really helpful since they can attack and only get hurt by the guns instead of the saw. Just make sure that they have enough health to survive the guns

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Completely ignoring them as you go around finishing the day or focusing one at a time with your entire employee pool also work. They are slow.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Is it weird to be stressed yet enjoy the game? After my first session, I really need a moment to compose myself and calm down. The game is so good at eliciting tension out of spinning a billion plates and trying to keep them all up. Then the abnormalities can be terrifying such as Wall Gazer that scare the life out of me. It’s a type of horror I haven’t experienced as you try to keep everything running and dreading when you know it’s all going to fall apart.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

Is it weird to be stressed yet enjoy the game? After my first session, I really need a moment to compose myself and calm down. The game is so good at eliciting tension out of spinning a billion plates and trying to keep them all up. Then the abnormalities can be terrifying such as Wall Gazer that scare the life out of me. It’s a type of horror I haven’t experienced as you try to keep everything running and dreading when you know it’s all going to fall apart.

Lobotomy Corp is so good at stress. Stress is key to the experience of most games, whether it's sharp spikes in an action game or the slow, creeping feeling in a management sim. I don't think I've played two days in a row of this since day 4 or so; the stress of keeping everything together generally needs a bigger break than one or two cutscenes and the deployment screen. But that feeling of stress is also what makes the game so engaging; you're worried about keeping all your plates spinning but also satisfied about how you continue to do so.

LC's approach does have its downsides. Since there's no time limit other than special circumstances, you can take all the time you want doing most things. Since the main challenge of the game is about keeping everything in your attention, that makes the most optimal way to play taking it slowly, at low speeds and with as few of your staff occupied at a time as reasonable to limit the amount of things you need to keep track of. This is, however, also the most boring way to play. It doesn't challenge your attention span as well, while needlessly increasing the risks involved in the later parts of the day - it feels like you're going to lose more if you have to reset a day after 30 minutes than if you do after 15, even if you achieved the same goals.

The other downside, which really only just occurred to me while writing the stress paragraph, is that since you can end the day whenever you like with it almost never being a good idea to do so immediately, you don't really get as strong a sense of relief from ending a day as you could have, because you always know you could have kept going. It was entirely your choice to stop here, rather than an extrinsic milestone. It's the difference between reaching the top of a 2km-high mountain, and reaching the 2km point of a 4km-high mountain. You've gone as far and it could have been equally challenging, but the lower summit is more satisfying to hit if you're going to stop there. Even if you were aiming for that mid-point on the high mountain from the start, you just don't get the same sense of achievement when you can see you could have gone further.

I wonder if the game would have been improved by giving you a set time to complete the day. It would solve both of those problems - taking things too slowly becomes discouraged, and you have a fixed point at which you can breath a sigh of relief and say you made it through conclusively. You could still allow the player to end the day early once you reach your quota, possibly at a LOB penalty compared to finishing at closing time, but it would offer a clear conclusion point.

Despite all these words I really love LC's overall game design; it's only because it's so good in the majority of respects that I can point out specific things that keep it from being perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

The other downside, which really only just occurred to me while writing the stress paragraph, is that since you can end the day whenever you like with it almost never being a good idea to do so immediately, you don't really get as strong a sense of relief from ending a day as you could have, because you always know you could have kept going. It was entirely your choice to stop here, rather than an extrinsic milestone. It's the difference between reaching the top of a 2km-high mountain, and reaching the 2km point of a 4km-high mountain. You've gone as far and it could have been equally challenging, but the lower summit is more satisfying to hit if you're going to stop there. Even if you were aiming for that mid-point on the high mountain from the start, you just don't get the same sense of achievement when you can see you could have gone further.

I wonder if the game would have been improved by giving you a set time to complete the day. It would solve both of those problems - taking things too slowly becomes discouraged, and you have a fixed point at which you can breath a sigh of relief and say you made it through conclusively. You could still allow the player to end the day early once you reach your quota, possibly at a LOB penalty compared to finishing at closing time, but it would offer a clear conclusion point.

Despite all these words I really love LC's overall game design; it's only because it's so good in the majority of respects that I can point out specific things that keep it from being perfect.

They come in limited doses but there are parts of LC that due just this and I can't tell you how relieved I feel when I manage to get to the end of one without loving everything up.