Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

After 25+ years I don't really care if Woolsey got things wrong or not. That's the Final Fantasy VI I know, and I think it's pretty good.

I still want to try Brave New World one day, not sure if they screw with the script.

I think there was a way to turn off the script changes? It's been a while.

Also they added an extra bit with Celes but who cars, Celes was the star of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Phantasium posted:

I'm pretty sure the main complaints of that hack are that they screwed with the script.

I think the gameplay sucked too. Some of the bosses felt like you just tried random sets of party members and strats until you just said gently caress it and drained MP for a half hour.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

IIRC doesn't Glenn talk normally in flashbacks (SNES Woolsey translation)?

Hard to tell. Glenn gets all of two complete lines in the flashback (almost everything else is either him screaming Cyrus' name or in pain) and one of them, directed at the Queen, is delivered in his usual incredibly formal tone. The other is basically him telling Cyrus he's done for, and while Frog's speech patterns have a bunch of Olde Tyme weirdness, he also always refers to himself as just 'I' so it's impossible to tell if there's any tone shift in that phrase.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

morallyobjected posted:

apparently FFCC is going to have a free to play version that's just the first three dungeons, unless you play with someone else who has the paid version and then you can do those too:

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-will-have-a-1844175733

the commercial says thirteen dungeons. it kind of depends on which dungeons, but no matter how you slice it, you can play most of the game with the free version connected to the full version but it will be impossible to do the final dungeon and see the ending. also even more impossible once SE axes their crossplay servers that will be generating negative profit on upkeep and maintenance fees from day one

Agents are GO! posted:

Working both together and against each other is a core part of FFCCs experience, it wouldn't have been the same without it, it'd be like giving Dark Souls a difficulty slider.

the problem is that it's a remaster of a game that was designed from the ground up to solve every single problem of local multiplayer, during the time of standard definition video. they're trying to port a game that was built specifically for hardware manufactured in 2003, which is why i suspect they had so many delays, and so frequently.

crystal chronicles was great because it was on the gamecube. but SE phoned it in through a dev mill staffed by employees who have no idea what made the original good or bad and is more concerned about making their Groundbreaking Mobage and you are asking for trouble

also the give and take sucked rear end, nobody liked carrying the bucket and if you dropped it to fight, you were limiting your party's mobility. it was also hard to "work together" when your stupid fuckin bonus conditions were at odds with one another "pick up items" "pick up gold" >gold counts an item "open treasure chests" >counts as picking up items. and oops your bonus score is tied to the quality of your loot! but it's also tied to rng so reaching the score threshold only gives you a 10% chance to get the drop pool that isn't one from the beginning of the game, in a stage that takes an hour to play through.

these are all the sorts of things they needed to weed out in the remake and they won't have

bucket also shouldn't apply a movement speed penalty, which existed because of draw limits

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 27, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seems like it's gonna be a bad video game that I'm going to play from start to finish then.

gently caress I'm excited. Also I hope there's controller support on the iOS version. I recently played FF6 with a controller airplayed to my TV, it ruled except for the hosed up graphics.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

Seems like it's gonna be a bad video game that I'm going to play from start to finish then.

gently caress I'm excited. Also I hope there's controller support on the iOS version.

it's a good game that needed far more modernizing than a visual remaster can provide. because of the way it was made originally, it needs a total mechanical overhaul to comply with modern quality of life elements.

it'll be good enough, but it'll feel like a game that was, well, made in 2003.

i cannot stress how dreadfully unfun and frustrating it is to carry the bucket. it really should not exist at all in a port where everyone has to bring their own TV

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 27, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I regularly play old RPGs like Lufia 2 and Chrono Trigger and any of the early FFs so I'm not too concerned, and it seems like their biggest push is being able to let people play together which was the main/only reason I couldn't fully enjoy the original since we didn't have the special cable or whatever.

Also, as an aside, I keep on starting up FF3 and loving hating it so much. I wish there was a fan-hack of it that made the game not arduous as gently caress.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'll buy the crystal chronicles remaster and I'll carry the bucket and I'll have fun with my bros playing it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Leal posted:

I'll buy the crystal chronicles remaster and I'll carry the bucket and I'll have fun with my bros playing it

Same. I want to play with goons too somehow, and I imagine it's via a specific code or whatever.

Imagine, playing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles with strangers!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

crystal chronicles loving owns and I can't wait to play it again

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I picked the Zodiac Age back up after letting it sit for a year or so. Just got to Archadia (what a fuckin slog).

What the hell are chops supposed to be? Do people here just carry around blocks of wood?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ManSedan posted:

I picked the Zodiac Age back up after letting it sit for a year or so. Just got to Archadia (what a fuckin slog).

What the hell are chops supposed to be? Do people here just carry around blocks of wood?

meat

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Leal posted:

Not an empty quote

For content, the new dungeons seem to be recolored dungeons/enemies? I mean it's not gonna affect my feelings on the game in general though I'm bracing myself for the new content to be kinda phoned in.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was the bucket carrier, because in my normal fashion, I liked playing support from the backlines. Always had dibs on the cure and spell rings, so I could still hang back and be useful. Plus it let me decide where the group's going.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ManSedan posted:

A personal seal used to stamp things, acting like a signature — traditionally very important in East Asia. It’s a weird translation.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

The obvious solution is to have Koji Fox translate every Square game. Clone him if need be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm good on literally everything is a pun thanks

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
He worked on some others, like FF12 I think. I also saw him is the credits of Automata.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I was the bucket carrier, because in my normal fashion, I liked playing support from the backlines. Always had dibs on the cure and spell rings, so I could still hang back and be useful. Plus it let me decide where the group's going.

This is basically tanking in FF14. You can run the wrong direction and everyone follows you and you set the pace of the dungeon

Bit stressful when you don't have the dungeon memorized

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Durendal posted:

The obvious solution is to have Koji Fox translate every Square game. Clone him if need be.

Koji's great and I can't think of a better FFXIV, but I can't get enough of Alexander O. Smith's prose is games like Tactics Ogre. Different takes for different settings of course.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is basically tanking in FF14. You can run the wrong direction and everyone follows you and you set the pace of the dungeon

Bit stressful when you don't have the dungeon memorized

Yeah. I fallback on healing because I can carry the dumbest stuff imaginable with that, but tanks are usually my second most place, especially if I don't want to think or try in casual content.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The White Dragon posted:

the commercial says thirteen dungeons. it kind of depends on which dungeons, but no matter how you slice it, you can play most of the game with the free version connected to the full version but it will be impossible to do the final dungeon and see the ending. also even more impossible once SE axes their crossplay servers that will be generating negative profit on upkeep and maintenance fees from day one

This is the absolute dumbest hill to die on and I'm here for it.

EDIT: Ugh this free demo has too much content and isn't going to be supported into the heat death of the universe. Why can't this work like the original release where you only had to buy one copy of the game, and 4 GBAs and the connectors and also had to physically be at the same location?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 28, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And couldn't play multiplayer with analog sticks.

Also, The White Dragon, have you considered the notion that you don't actually like FFCC and maybe you shouldn't play the remaster?

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 28, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, The White Dragon, have you considered the notion that you don't actually like FFCC and maybe you shouldn't play the remaster?

i like ffcc so much that i've spent the past fifteen years considering what makes it good and what makes it bad and how to improve it, and then the past five actually doing so

but we're getting a remaster that addresses none of the bad parts, then says things like "oh but it's okay that we left all the garbage elements in you see you can wear a hat

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 28, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The White Dragon posted:

i like ffcc so much that i've spent the past fifteen years considering what makes it good and what makes it bad and how to improve it, and then the past five actually doing so

That makes it sound like you don't like FFCC, you like your idea for a video game that shares some elements with FFCC

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

but we're getting a remaster that addresses none of the bad parts, then says things like "oh but it's okay that we left all the garbage elements in you see you can wear a hat

Please, I beg you TWD...dig up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair Final Fantasy could use some more hats.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

So you're saying FFXV: Episode Ardyn is the best Final Fantasy? You could collect and wear like 30 hats.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Schwartzcough posted:

So you're saying FFXV: Episode Ardyn is the best Final Fantasy? You could collect and wear like 30 hats.

FFXIV has far more hats than that

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gripweed posted:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Not if you play the two best races sadly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mega64 posted:

14 oddly enough for a modern video game outside certain armour sets very late in game has a very poor selection of rubbish hats.

And the grand company soldier shako looks like dog poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doom sucks. Take it out of the game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What the gently caress is oil? Why does this game have so many status effects?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gripweed posted:

What the gently caress is oil? Why does this game have so many status effects?

Bonus damage from fire, I don't know why it exists.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVII broke up weapon damage types, right? So Slash or Sword was different from Punch attacks and stuff like that?

I know this is a thing in New Threat when you Scan an enemy it mentions it but I could swear it was always a thing but the regular game never tells you..... Could be wrong, though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVII broke up weapon damage types, right? So Slash or Sword was different from Punch attacks and stuff like that?

I know this is a thing in New Threat when you Scan an enemy it mentions it but I could swear it was always a thing but the regular game never tells you..... Could be wrong, though.

if it is, they hid it really well from everyone because I played through it this year and it's not seen at any point that I recall

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

jokes posted:

Bonus damage from fire, I don't know why it exists.

Triples fire damage. Hugely broken against a lot of enemies.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
ardor+oil+flame staff is the strongest spell in the game

clever use of oil is essential, just have a simple gambit like weak/vulnerable to fire = oil, then oil = cast [your strongest fire spell]

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

It's buried really deep in the status menus but you can see it. One of the only things the player gets that can manipulate it on their end is the Ziedrich armor which halves those types of damage, making it way better than it looks just by raw stats (where it's already super good).

Edit: Wait no it's not. It's just the normal elements listed there.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 29, 2020