Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

took my family out of the city for the weekend

stopped at a spot off the highway that got burned up last year and flew the drone

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The Fool posted:

took my family out of the city for the weekend

stopped at a spot off the highway that got burned up last year and flew the drone

that's a primo morel location if they grow where you are

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

that's a primo morel location if they grow where you are

oh yeah, there were half a dozen cars and trucks parked along the side of the service road from the mushroom hunters

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

:yosnice: , how is alaska? i haven't been yet, but my folks visited and thought it was great. i've read the permafrost melting and so on is causing issues for some places

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
went on a backcountry drive this weekend, the trailheads were just packed. kinda scary

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

:yosnice: , how is alaska? i haven't been yet, but my folks visited and thought it was great. i've read the permafrost melting and so on is causing issues for some places

I'm a fan. There is no other place like it.

Permafrost is a real problem in the interior. There are special construction techniques to compensate for it, but nothing is perfect.

Silver Alicorn posted:

went on a backcountry drive this weekend, the trailheads were just packed. kinda scary

around here, even on the busier trails people are doing a good job of keeping their distance
most people wear buffs around their necks and pull them up when passing by, or step off the trail for a minute.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

The pro move is to go to smaller natural areas that aren't state parks and such. The Nature Conservancy has a few in my area that are always empty even now and have nice trails

Also you can volunteer with them to maintain them when there isn't a plague about

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm kind of skeptical that even a "busy" trail is risky compared to walking to the shops or something

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

went snowshoeing yesterday, found a hut

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

i want to leave tech behind and squat in that hut

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we used to have a bus you could go slowly die in, but it got airlifted out last week

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Fool posted:

we used to have a bus you could go slowly die in, but it got airlifted out last week

Lol

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

on monday I woke up in a beautiful forest, smelled the pine, swam in the ocean

today I spent 6 hours trying to figure out why rabbitMQ is closing channels despite having plenty of memory available

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Makeout Patrol posted:

on monday I woke up in a beautiful forest, smelled the pine, swam in the ocean

today I spent 6 hours trying to figure out why rabbitMQ is closing channels despite having plenty of memory available

your life is a mess

a beautiful mess

i went away. this was a cool frozen lake which we threw stone across and they sounded like pew pew laser gun

here its me repping rodtronics in the mountains

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's not really wandering off in the wilds but today I decided to leave tech behind and fly over it all and look down on its pathetic existence

fuk u tech. i know you're in there. in the big rear end in a top hat.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in the grimdark future i will be the mechanic working on the cessna engine so we can send sagebrush up to do aerial scouting for salvage materials

i promise i'll buy a torque wrench before then

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

in the grimdark future i will be the mechanic working on the cessna engine so we can send sagebrush up to do aerial scouting for salvage materials

i have twin cousins, where one is a mech. engineer and auto mechanic, and the other was a flight mechanic in the military. they also have a huge pile of guns and ammo so when the reckoning happens i guess i'll go be their peon and help with web design or w/e

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I look forward to dropping snakes out of the plane like that guy in Mad Max 2.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

All you need is a calibrated wrist and your tongue at the right angle imo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Also I'll be setting up the transatlantic HF link come apocalypse, hmu

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

got out
aoraki national park

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
magnificent

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bump

got a gopro for my bike. need to sit down and figure out exposure/iso settings so its not a washed out mess on auto from going between shade and light. some great trails here that i want to get on video

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anyone recommend an electric pump for my inflatable kayak, intex explorer k2? my lungs and arms are not up to the task of inflating seats or using the hand pump, especially not after carrying the thing a couple miles on my bike (e-bike or no)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

anyone recommend an electric pump for my inflatable kayak, intex explorer k2? my lungs and arms are not up to the task of inflating seats or using the hand pump, especially not after carrying the thing a couple miles on my bike (e-bike or no)

idk what the valve is like on your kayak, but you can get pretty cheap battery powered air pumps for like air matresses and such

e: i don't have a specific recommendation, i think they're mostly on the same level

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you know what would be real cool would be a pump that hooks up to the bicycle pedals

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i was wondering about that since were considering inflatable kayaks and i already have a small car tire pump i can plug into the 12v in the car. seems like itd be usable since it has attachments for sports equipment but a kayak seems like more than its intended for

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

those little 12v tire pumps work fine, but they really are intended for emergencies, so they get super duper hot after a few minutes of use and often they don't even have lubrication/no way of adding more so they burn out quickly. it's no problem when the purpose is to spend 20 bucks on the pump and save 200 on a tow, but they aren't really good for everyday use.

a slightly more expensive model would probably be fine, though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

I've been looking into one for mine but they all say you need to finish it with a hand pump so I don't think I'm gonna bother. There's a small rechargable one that's pretty well reviewed on Amazon that's intex branded I think

E: it also sucks air out which does seem really nice

Agile Vector posted:

i was wondering about that since were considering inflatable kayaks and i already have a small car tire pump i can plug into the 12v in the car. seems like itd be usable since it has attachments for sports equipment but a kayak seems like more than its intended for

this would probably work, you only inflate them to like 1psi

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 29, 2020

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I am going to get some telescoping canoe paddles to replace my kayak paddles to see if they're easier to backpack with. I am planning on carrying my kayak 5 miles up a mountain in a few weeks.

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 30, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

picked a "Intex" pump more or less at random since i had to get some stuff on amazon anyway. hopefully shows up on friday; if so, and it works, i'm gonna go to the reservoir this weekend :toot:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

picked a "Intex" pump more or less at random since i had to get some stuff on amazon anyway. hopefully shows up on friday; if so, and it works, i'm gonna go to the reservoir this weekend :toot:

are you going to have a place to plug it in?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

are you going to have a place to plug it in?

yeah, near the boat launch at the reservoir. not going anywhere else with it yet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hiked around mt. saint helens over the weekend
30 miles, 1 night, +6k ft, 45+mph wind and rain

i was in brutal pain by the end

i want to go back :stwoon:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hell yeah, I've been wanting to hike there for a few years ever since my coworker told me about his hike to the top. It looks awesome

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i'd like to try hiking to the top, it looks gorgeous

if you hike around, aim for two nights. one is not enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I rented a gravel bike and did a tori 50 miler