Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

whats pink noise then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bREC4gvH5Gw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
dis thats fricking drone you goofball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

dis thats fricking drone you goofball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

find me noise music with 'pink' in the title and get htis ill

you know whati ll loving do ill

im gonna

listen to it

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

im gay and writing posts online

Congratulations on your online posts

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

hey that doesn't have nearly as much energy in the higher frequency bundles* as the lower >: (

now if p!nk made noise music...

actually goddammit i got myself into a wikipedia rabbit hole over pink noise and related subjects. I've completely forgotten how fun signals and systems were.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 25, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
[tell] me about pink noise

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm going to take that seriously because its a fascinating subject, albeit no where near even tangential to this thread

(ok maybe music mangas might mention it somewhere idk)

Pink noise is where the power spectral density (density being of course a value per other value like mass density) is inversely proportional to the frequency.

This part is cool:

In the past quarter century, pink noise has been discovered in the statistical fluctuations of an extraordinarily diverse number of physical and biological systems (Press, 1978;[7] see articles in Handel & Chung, 1993,[8] and references therein). Examples of its occurrence include fluctuations in tide and river heights, quasar light emissions, heart beat, firings of single neurons, and resistivity in solid-state electronics resulting in flicker noise.

General 1/f α noises occur in many physical, biological and economic systems, and some researchers describe them as being ubiquitous.[9] In physical systems, they are present in some meteorological data series, the electromagnetic radiation output of some astronomical bodies. In biological systems, they are present in, for example, heart beat rhythms, neural activity, and the statistics of DNA sequences, as a generalized pattern.[10] In financial systems, they are often referred to as a long-term memory effect[specify].

An accessible introduction to the significance of pink noise is one given by Martin Gardner (1978) in his Scientific American column "Mathematical Games".[11] In this column, Gardner asked for the sense in which music imitates nature. Sounds in nature are not musical in that they tend to be either too repetitive (bird song, insect noises) or too chaotic (ocean surf, wind in trees, and so forth). The answer to this question was given in a statistical sense by Voss and Clarke (1975, 1978), who showed that pitch and loudness fluctuations in speech and music are pink noises.[12][13] So music is like tides not in terms of how tides sound, but in how tide heights vary.

Pink noise describes the statistical structure of many natural images.[14] Recently, it has also been successfully applied to the modeling of mental states in psychology,[15] and used to explain stylistic variations in music from different cultures and historic periods.[16] Richard F. Voss and J. Clarke claim that almost all musical melodies, when each successive note is plotted on a scale of pitches, will tend towards a pink noise spectrum.[17] Similarly, a generally pink distribution pattern has been observed in film shot length by researcher James E. Cutting of Cornell University, in the study of 150 popular movies released from 1935 to 2005.[18]

Pink noise has also been found to be endemic in human response. Gilden et al. (1995) found extremely pure examples of this noise in the time series formed upon iterated production of temporal and spatial intervals.[19] Later, Gilden (1997) and Gilden (2001) found that time series formed from reaction time measurement and from iterated two-alternative forced choice also produced pink noises.[20][21]

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

There's exactly zero chance I ever would have tried Witch's Servant without this thread.

Yeah, same.

Main Paineframe posted:

Love Me For Who I Am/Fukakai na Boku no Subete o is real good and i'm glad i learned about it by reading this thread

as someone who's been feeling lately like maybe i'm not so binary after all, it has been a really constructive and positive read

I knew about that one before, but as for the second part, uhm, also same :blush:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I'm going to take that seriously because its a fascinating subject, albeit no where near even tangential to this thread

Pink noise is where the power spectral density (density being of course a value per other value like mass density) is inversely proportional to the frequency.

This part is cool:

In the past quarter century, pink noise has been discovered in the statistical fluctuations of an extraordinarily diverse number of physical and biological systems (Press, 1978;[7] see articles in Handel & Chung, 1993,[8] and references therein). Examples of its occurrence include fluctuations in tide and river heights, quasar light emissions, heart beat, firings of single neurons, and resistivity in solid-state electronics resulting in flicker noise.

General 1/f α noises occur in many physical, biological and economic systems, and some researchers describe them as being ubiquitous.[9] In physical systems, they are present in some meteorological data series, the electromagnetic radiation output of some astronomical bodies. In biological systems, they are present in, for example, heart beat rhythms, neural activity, and the statistics of DNA sequences, as a generalized pattern.[10] In financial systems, they are often referred to as a long-term memory effect[specify].

An accessible introduction to the significance of pink noise is one given by Martin Gardner (1978) in his Scientific American column "Mathematical Games".[11] In this column, Gardner asked for the sense in which music imitates nature. Sounds in nature are not musical in that they tend to be either too repetitive (bird song, insect noises) or too chaotic (ocean surf, wind in trees, and so forth). The answer to this question was given in a statistical sense by Voss and Clarke (1975, 1978), who showed that pitch and loudness fluctuations in speech and music are pink noises.[12][13] So music is like tides not in terms of how tides sound, but in how tide heights vary.

Pink noise describes the statistical structure of many natural images.[14] Recently, it has also been successfully applied to the modeling of mental states in psychology,[15] and used to explain stylistic variations in music from different cultures and historic periods.[16] Richard F. Voss and J. Clarke claim that almost all musical melodies, when each successive note is plotted on a scale of pitches, will tend towards a pink noise spectrum.[17] Similarly, a generally pink distribution pattern has been observed in film shot length by researcher James E. Cutting of Cornell University, in the study of 150 popular movies released from 1935 to 2005.[18]

Pink noise has also been found to be endemic in human response. Gilden et al. (1995) found extremely pure examples of this noise in the time series formed upon iterated production of temporal and spatial intervals.[19] Later, Gilden (1997) and Gilden (2001) found that time series formed from reaction time measurement and from iterated two-alternative forced choice also produced pink noises.[20][21]

this is extremely cool and my brain really likes the words 'pink' and 'noise' in sequence so im glad they're attached to such a cool concept, thank you for sharing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This part is cool:

whoa

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

This part is cool:

thank you for this wisdom

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Well, the news give reason for optimism, so I suppose it's back to my regularly scheduled gushing over Witch's Servant. Two new chapters, both extremely warm and fuzzy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Carpator Diei posted:

Well, the news give reason for optimism, so I suppose it's back to my regularly scheduled gushing over Witch's Servant. Two new chapters, both extremely warm and fuzzy.

Both of these chapters are extremely good. :3:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wait, I thought the manga was bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it has good things, and it has bad things

tbh the anime wasn't really any different, in the end

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 27, 2020

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

The Colonel posted:

it has good things, and it has bad things

tbh the anime wasn't really any different, in the end

I liked the anime a lot more than the manga mainly because it tried to keep the worst parts of the manga out but yeah, there's a lot of... problematic poo poo in both of them and I can't really say it's worth suffering through that to get to the good parts.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I tried to read the kana-specific manga because people said it was more about kobayashi wife-posting and cut out shota and such but it was bad too

idk if people like it whatever

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jagged Jim posted:

I liked the anime a lot more than the manga mainly because it tried to keep the worst parts of the manga out but yeah, there's a lot of... problematic poo poo in both of them and I can't really say it's worth suffering through that to get to the good parts.

i cant even say it tries to keep the weirder parts out when the ova exists

anyway i dont care that much anymore as long as people aren't trying to present it as way more of a Big Woke manga/anime than it is, which people pushed way more weirdly hard for at the time s1 was airing

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

remembering how the funi dub constantly made kobayashi go 'no homo'

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally cracking open Giniro no Genders, let's see how much it fucks me up

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 28, 2020

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ToxicFrog posted:

Finally cracking open Giniro no Genders, let's see how much it fucks me up

Stop, don't do it. It's not worth it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Unless you really want to read a queersploitation soap opera written by a cishet Japanese guy about what he thinks LGBT people are like.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

second chapter ends with Gin asking Nakamachi for makeup instruction and Nakamachi going "sure but only if you go to campus in girlmode and seduce the president of the dance club" :whoptc:

ZiegeDame posted:

Unless you really want to read a queersploitation soap opera written by a cishet Japanese guy about what he thinks LGBT people are like.

:negative: I'm pretty sure I got the recommendation from this thread and everything else so far has been on point, so this is a bit of an unpleasant surprise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

i do but ive already watched cross ange

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Ill give it one for a having a transguy as a fairly major character

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Endorph posted:

i do but ive already watched cross ange

What a heartbreaker that was

I found out about it via the soundtrack, since I love Akiko Shikata's other work and she did the OST for it, so after listening to it I went "with music this good the anime must kick rear end, right?" and I thought the basic premise was interesting

Then I watched the first few episodes and it just...wasn't good?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A friend of mine once mentioned an interview where the Cross Ange, I dunno either Okouchi or whoever directed it probably, was asked how a particular character survived their very blatant death, and the answer was they survived because the plot required it. I kind of respect that level of not giving a poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Having only experienced Cross Ange through SRW V, I think I can safely say it's pretty good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just as a note, Okouchi is the Overman King Gainer/Code Geass/Valvrave/Devil May Cry Devilman Crybaby guy.

Cross Ange's series composition was done by the dude who did the scripts for Revue Starlight.

e: I need more hours of sleep. :doh:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 28, 2020

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Having only experienced Cross Ange through SRW V, I think I can safely say it's pretty good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i just found out that okouchi also wrote princess principal so that and king gainer are good points for me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cross ange is a modern masterpiece

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"You've made a lot of people uncomfortable, so you're being put to death."

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

"You've made a lot of people uncomfortable, so you're being put to death."

drat, cancel culture is serious business

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ToxicFrog posted:

:negative: I'm pretty sure I got the recommendation from this thread and everything else so far has been on point, so this is a bit of an unpleasant surprise

It starts out with some overly-sensationalized stuff but you let it slide because a lot of manga will do stuff like that to grab readers at first and then chill out later, and characters do some hosed up things but you think 'where is it going with this' and have hope that all the lovely things will start to make more sense as we understand the characters better, so early on I had hope that it could be good. This was a mistake.

The best way to describe it is, there's one section where a homophobe is reading a passage from the bible. Now, the author could have done a little research and pulled out some actually verses that homophobes like to cite. Instead he just made up his own passage about how 'all lesbians are evil' is a core tenant of Christianity. This is the same level of consideration he put in to every aspect of the story.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
to be fair that really is the level of bible understanding actually shown by a lot of bigots IRL

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
giniro no genders is a hilarious trainwreck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE