Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nail Rat posted:

Okay so I solved Ellie's guitar problem in something that should take her literally five minutes to do since she can tune by ear:

-If you want to play in a minor key, swap the G string into the D string's place. Now you can play any minor chord by barring the bottom 3 strings with the index finger and dropping the middle finger onto the A string 2 frets up from the index finger. You can actually also play the B and high E string for added tone if you like, if you just make sure to curve your index so the D string is muted. This is totally optional though, you don't have to do it until you're ready.
-You should be able to drop the pinky or ring finger stump on the high E too to add an extra note, if not, put on a thimble.
-For a major key, just tune the G string up half a step.

Of course, this was all about "putting Joel behind" as someone in the discord pointed out. But you could do that much more subtly and less stupidly by just having her pick up the guitar, and not be able to play it well as she just decides she doesn't give a gently caress anymore, and putting it away. No need to actually lose fingers - they don't actually keep you from not being able to play guitar. It's just hamfisted bad writing.

Just play DADGAD, problem solved, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Only need two fingers for a power chord.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Tactical realism in guitars

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Or just get a loving laptop like everyone else would (or I guess a loop pedal... they have to exist, there’s an Akai MPC in the game) and loop your poo poo. And make more interesting music that way

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Tactical Guitar-Playing Action

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Or yeah play shoegaze in open tunings! I’m jk of course, I got spoiled, I’m only like a couple of hours into Abby’s story.

But wait, so I don’t get the body bag thing, and what people were talking about with that, like that’s one of the few things that can change or is like, an optional but story related outcome? Cause otherwise you wouldn’t know Owen shot Danny?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
WLF is IDF, Seraphite Island is Palestine, Seraphite leadership is religious autocracy, Lev and Yara are moderate refugees/asylum seekers fleeing persecution, the truce is a failed treaty, Isaac is Netanyahu, Jacksonites are normal citizens radicalised by external acts of violence, Rattlers are colonialism (most clearly Amercanised army), Fireflies are the abstract hope of UN Peacekeepers bringing medical aid

The infected/zombies aren't really anything, just conditions necessary for the US to be in a state of unrest comparable to other parts of the world (although possibly the result of human activity/pharmaceutical meddling similar to other man-made activities like climate change and use of chemical weapons sufficient to make a desire to return the 'old ways' not a completely absurd response to the crisis)

Game is a better story about the cycle of violence in the Middle East than Spec Ops:The Line, a game set in the Middle East

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I dont know if its a blessing or a curse that the I/P conflict angle has completely passed over the average Gamer's head, whose brains are still sidelined in culture war bullshit from 2014. Because if there's something even more insanely toxic than non-pretty girls in video games...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The majority of Palestinians are not religious fanatics, though, so the whole analogy falls flat.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Honestly, to me the WLF/Seraphites conflict is really undercooked, and comparing it to Israel/Palestine is... I dunno, insulting?

There are very material and historic reasons behind the I/P conflict, which include British Imperialism, the Zionist movement, pan-arabism, the US sphere of influence, etc.

There’s a very tangible reason for an Israeli and a Palestinian to hate one another, particularly regarding aspects of land dispute and neocolonialism

That doesn’t seem to be the case with the factions in the game, whose motivations seem to be limited to “those fuckers attacked me first”

And yeah, sure, but is there no more reason other than that? Why are the Seraphites leaving their island to mess with the WLF? Is there a religious reason? Do the elders want it for more mundane reasons?

Do the WLF and Isaac want control over the island to get some of that corn or something? Are they trying to expand their operations? I assume so since they’re clearing out the hospital, but their territory is still full of infected even near supposed “safe” areas.

It’s be cool if they had more of that with Isaac, but again, they used Jeffrey Wright for literally two loving scenes.

Also the conflict in the game shows both sides with a somewhat even foot, which is... not the case of Israel/Palestine

I dunno, I wish they’d explored that with a little more nuance and more than a simplistic “VIOLENCE BEGATS VIOLENCE” analog, especially since Abby’s story doesn’t focus on the cycle of revenge between her and Ellie until way later on.

(I got some collectibles that explain some things - the prophet’s capture and martyrdom is the biggest one that comes to mind - but telling that story via optional content is a problem in itself)

Plus to me making the Palestinian faction into a bunch of religious lunatics that gut their enemies as a sort of purification is really hosed up!

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 27, 2020

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So are the WLF and Seraphites just gone now by wiping each other out? I do think Abby's turning on everyone was a little too rushed considering how high up and respected she seemed to be among the Wolves it felt too much like they were trying to get Abby to be seen as good.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

ymgve posted:

The majority of Palestinians are not religious fanatics,

I absolutely and obviously agree with this and am not trying to de-rail the whole thread despite bringing this up. It's not a perfect 1:1 but I don't actually think I'm off base at all. Druckmann talks a bit in ep 1 of the Last of Us Podcast about how he follows Israeli politics intently and talks about Hamas with his father regularly still. It's in the game

bobjr posted:

So are the WLF and Seraphites just gone now by wiping each other out? I do think Abby's turning on everyone was a little too rushed considering how high up and respected she seemed to be among the Wolves it felt too much like they were trying to get Abby to be seen as good.
Not clear on the answer to the first question since Abby nopes out of there. There's a line of the dialogue about all the Seraphite children being somewhere safe. Abby turns on them because her new core directive is saving the two children, they murder one of them, she doesn't want to be part of an org that's about murdering children. Also she already has been talking about the whispers of the Fireflies reuniting so has a plan B

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 27, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Shooting the poo poo out of a kid you like and then aiming a gun at you because you won't let them kill the other kid you like seems a good enough reason to apply your only skillset.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

As diverse as the cast of this game is there's no brown people, no one of Middle-Eastern or subcontinental appearance. I think a reason for that is because any parallels to current geopolitics would be too overt

ps I'm brown and the son of a Bangladeshi Muslim father so please don't @ me for using the term 'brown people' or assume I'm an Islam hater or something for reading this into the game...

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

bobjr posted:

Although it is not fully articulated, the impression I got is that the Scars "win" (or, rather, the Wolves lose). The Wolves' invasion is repelled because the Scars prove to be extremely - and unexpectantly - well mobilized, Isaac is killed by Yara, and the last thing you hear regarding the conflict is a Wolf on the radio panicking because basically everything is going wrong until his voice turns to static.

Haven is admittedly burned to the ground, so the Scars take losses as well, but if you look closely during the cutscene where Abby and Lev escape it seems that the Scars are overwhelming the Wolves. Plus, either Yara or Lev discuss how the Scars have contingencies to protect its children and probably their elders.

Meanwhile, WLF has lost its central leadership and sacrificed a huge portion of its strength on this disastrous invasion. In the lead up to Day 3, you hear a lot of Wolves complain that they're taking a huge risk and that Isaac's plan is questionable. The implication seems to be that Isaac was putting everything on the line, so anything other than a total victory means WLF is done for. Presumably, WLF's noncombatants will survive and may endure inside their fortified bases but in all likelihood the Scars will take Seattle.

I don't know how well this jives with the "eternal war" analogy that people are interpreting but the entire conflict ceases to matter once the story moves on from Seattle. Ellie obviously has no stake in it and Abby defects to go rejoin the Fireflies who are worse than both groups lol.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 27, 2020

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RedTeam posted:

Only need two fingers for a power chord.

:yeah:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

In It For The Tank posted:

Although it is not fully articulated, the impression I got is that the Scars "win" (or, rather, the Wolves lose). The Wolves' invasion is repelled because the Scars prove to be extremely - and unexpectantly - well mobilized, Isaac is killed by Yara, and the last thing you hear regarding the conflict is a Wolf on the radio panicking because basically everything is going wrong until his voice turns to static.

Haven is admittedly burned to the ground, so the Scars take losses as well, but if you look closely during the cutscene where Abby and Lev escape it seems that the Scars are overwhelming the Wolves. Plus, either Yara or Lev discuss how the Scars have contingencies to protect its children and probably their elders.

Meanwhile, WLF has lost its central leadership and sacrificed a huge portion of its strength on this disastrous invasion. In the lead up to Day 3, you hear a lot of Wolves complain that they're taking a huge risk and that Isaac's plan is questionable. The implication seems to be that Isaac was putting everything on the line, so anything other than a total victory means WLF is done for. Presumably, WLF's noncombatants will survive and may endure inside their fortified bases but in all likelihood the Scars will take Seattle.

I don't know how well this jives with the "eternal war" analogy that people are interpreting but the entire conflict ceases to matter once the story moves on from Seattle. Ellie obviously has no stake in it and Abby defects to go rejoin the Fireflies who are worse than both groups lol.

whether it happened or not, they really want you to think this. the writers go out of their way to portray isaac as a terrible leader that wont listen to his subordinates and gets distracted easily by petty bullshit and revenge.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Imhotep posted:

Or yeah play shoegaze in open tunings! I’m jk of course, I got spoiled, I’m only like a couple of hours into Abby’s story.

But wait, so I don’t get the body bag thing, and what people were talking about with that, like that’s one of the few things that can change or is like, an optional but story related outcome? Cause otherwise you wouldn’t know Owen shot Danny?

Would like to know this too. It can’t be Ellie because at that time Ellie and Dina probably haven’t even started to look for gasoline yet. Does the number of body bags change based on how many wolves you killed?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to have been killed by the Scars, to show how Isaac justifies the attack on the island: the Scars are getting more bold in their attacks on WLF territory. Abby mentions this a couple times when you get waylaid on the way to the FOB, saying she can't believe how far into their territory they've encroached. Like you mentioned, it's too early for Ellie to really have had that much of an impact, and I doubt it would change based on your actions since Naughty Dog isn't really about having your actions affect any story elements.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I assume its a combination of Scars, Tommy, and Ellie.

ZaronYeras
Sep 14, 2007
Thinking about this game got me wondering, is there ever even a such thing as a "cycle of revenge" in real life? I feel like almost all the problems of the real world are caused by people making GBS threads on each other for no justifiable reason, not because they just can't let go of the time someone murdered their dad. There's sometimes a cycle of abuse, but even then it very rarely involves getting revenge on perpetrators and is usually more of a string of innocent victims. The closest I can think of is when two people in a relationship hate each other but stay together, and the solution to that is for them to break up.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its not really applicable to the modern day, but a lot of early medival legislation in both the Anglo-Saxon and Frankish kingdoms directly address the issue of interminable feuding between familial groups by attempting to enforce an obligation to accept a payment in compensation for a murder, as opposed to enacting revenge. It would suggest that a destructive "cycle of revenge" were occuring to the point that the nominal political authority felt compelled to intercede to prevent them, allthough what with every social structures being so different then compared to the modern day its not an entirly resonant comparison.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm kinda sad that there's no part in the game where you break into a place and it looks abandoned but people are still living there but just doing a kinda poor job at it. Not like the WLF defectors but just someone who's actually there and non-hostile and they come in like 'What the gently caress?'

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

JustaDamnFool posted:

Its not really applicable to the modern day, but a lot of early medival legislation in both the Anglo-Saxon and Frankish kingdoms directly address the issue of interminable feuding between familial groups by attempting to enforce an obligation to accept a payment in compensation for a murder, as opposed to enacting revenge. It would suggest that a destructive "cycle of revenge" were occuring to the point that the nominal political authority felt compelled to intercede to prevent them, allthough what with every social structures being so different then compared to the modern day its not an entirly resonant comparison.

In many Australian Aboriginal communities justice has traditionally been executed through a method called "payback" where leaders or elders from the involved groups will agree on a punishment to be exacted upon the perpetrator in order to give the community a sense of closure and prevent unmitigated retaliation. It can often involve violence upon the perpetrator. The practice continues to this day but although there is debate about whether it should be allowed to continue and its clearly at odds with state law.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

Sir Tonk posted:

whether it happened or not, they really want you to think this. the writers go out of their way to portray isaac as a terrible leader that wont listen to his subordinates and gets distracted easily by petty bullshit and revenge.

The Last of Us Pt. III: Isaac actually loved elephants, his son is coming to kill you

ZaronYeras
Sep 14, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In many Australian Aboriginal communities justice has traditionally been executed through a method called "payback" where leaders or elders from the involved groups will agree on a punishment to be exacted upon the perpetrator in order to give the community a sense of closure and prevent unmitigated retaliation. It can often involve violence upon the perpetrator. The practice continues to this day but although there is debate about whether it should be allowed to continue and its clearly at odds with state law.

Yeah, it makes sense that it might have been an issue early on in human society, and by extension it makes sense that it would happen in a post apocalyptic setting. It seems like any society that people are playing on ps4s in though has already solved the problem, making it not really an important message for a game to convey. I'm mostly just whining though, feel free to ignore me

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

So you think the themes of this game have no relevance to modern Western society?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Have you ever done a really bad prank to someone, then they get mad and prank you worse, so you get really super mad and prank them even worse?

That's what the game is about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE LAST TABOO

finally, a video game with a gay character in it

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Endorph posted:

THE LAST TABOO

finally, a video game with a gay character in it

I can't tell if you're being ironic but yeah this is a pretty big deal for a AAA game to have this level of representation. This is the only video game with a gay lead that most Mountain Dew and Doritos gamers have ever played

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hate that I didn't think this game was a 100 out of 100 because the reasons people are making GBS threads on it are, for the most part, really dumb. They took a giant swing and though I think it missed, I want them to keep doing this kind of stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I can't tell if you're being ironic but yeah this is a pretty big deal for a AAA game to have this level of representation. This is the only video game with a gay lead that most Mountain Dew and Doritos gamers have ever played
it really isnt a big deal and 'THE FINAL TABOO' like its the first video game to ever do this is basically just making GBS threads on decades of work by both indie devs and even AAA devs, and centering gay rep on 'mountain dew and doritos gamers' is a waste of time

there are saturn games from 1992 with gay chars. if you want to praise the game for this, you can do it without acting like no other video game ever has done it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, "the last taboo," is a terrible phrasing for a whole mess of reasons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you could argue a reasonable number of gang related conflicts are a result of a series of reprisal killings

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah I can't think of anything that isn't an rpg or some indie darling game that had this kind of diversity in the cast and happily places it front and centre.

Also judging by the reaction to the game this is considered a taboo so it's good that the game has gay and trans people as well as different bodies to the norm. The article's actual content mentions previous games and offers a position on representation in AAA RPGs which was my initial though.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 28, 2020

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Endorph posted:

it really isnt a big deal and 'THE FINAL TABOO' like its the first video game to ever do this is basically just making GBS threads on decades of work by both indie devs and even AAA devs, and centering gay rep on 'mountain dew and doritos gamers' is a waste of time

there are saturn games from 1992 with gay chars. if you want to praise the game for this, you can do it without acting like no other video game ever has done it

Representation matters, this is like saying Black Panther shouldn't have been important milestone for many people in the black community because "blade already did it" or something

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Was anyone else sure that when Ellie was back on the farm with Dina and the baby that it was all a dream and she would just like wake up and get killed? That is why i found her leaving again not believable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

mcmagic posted:

Was anyone else sure that when Ellie was back on the farm with Dina and the baby that it was all a dream and she would just like wake up and get killed? That is why i found her leaving again not believable.

Yeah when Tommy turned up I was like "ah poo poo she's going to wake up in the WLF torture chambers" and thought Ellie, Dina, Lev and Abby were going to end up sharing a terrible fate either at the hands of WLF stragglers or victorious scars.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Representation matters, this is like saying Black Panther shouldn't have been important milestone for many people in the black community because "blade already did it" or something

the difference between black panther and this is black panther was directed by a black dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
And, as pointed out before, the game is not without fault in that area, since several people in the trans community were critical of focusing Lev’s issues almost entirely on the fact that he’s a trans man.

(I personally thought that they treated the character with a fair amount of respect, and he’s one of the more likeable ones in a cast filled with assholes, but I’m a cis dude so my perspective is definitely lacking in various respects)

It’s definitely good that there is a big LGBT representation in one of the biggest game launches of the year, but I wouldn’t say it’s as groundbreaking as the Graun thinks it is