Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have a G810 I’m looking at selling but otherwise yeah, the G110 doesn’t have any contemporaries with all its bells and bobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

I feel you on the G110, I loved that keyboard when I first had it. But I've pretty much outgrown its features or split it out to various devices.

Built-in audio: Probably best to get a DAC (onboard audio also isn't the worst these days, depending on the mobo) A Schiit Fulla DAC also has a mic-in now.

Media keys and macros: Pretty much just use keyboard layers for all these now.

Volume wheel: Mainstream gaming boards still have these. It's starting to get popular in custom keyboards. (with QMK encoder support). These days I just use keyboard layers for this again though.

Numpad: You can always get a full size mech keyboard or one with 96key, 1800 layout, separate numpad. Up to you.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I actually have an old Asus Xonar USB thing, I should see about digging that out. Other than having to swap cables between speaker and headset, that sounds like a decent solution, although surely there's some kind of switch that would handle that for me, though. Really I should replace my speakers too at this point, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

.Z. posted:

The closest thing that could satisfy your needs by itself is probably that monster Exit Strategy is working on.

this sounds tight as hell and if I was up for actually assembling everything myself, I haven't soldered anything in years and what little I did before was pretty poo poo. Might make for a good project, though. Maybe I'll just clean up my G110 for now and look into throwing something together as a hobby-project.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I think you should just plug in your speakers to your mobo's speaker/line outs. Plug your headset in to the Xonar. Then just use Windows to toggle between different outputs depending on what you're doing.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

bub posted:

That is indeed industrial gray, the layout I chose has a HHKB-style split right shift with normal size backspace. I feel a little guilty because my keyboard shipped only a few days after placing the order because I selected unprinted keys and a less popular layout. Some folks who ordered printed keys have been waiting a long time (years even) since the dye-sub printing operation is still being finalized.

My favorite feature is definitely the cast zinc case. The heftiness of these boards is remarkable.

oof, I'd definitely be going for default ANSI us layout, 400 bux and a huge wait might be too much for my impatient heart to take.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

pgroce posted:

I'm a little surprised there aren't at least a few coordinated sets of 60% kbs and numpads. Or "macropads" you could turn into numpads, feels like something this community would throw money at.

I think people who would do this have been channeling their efforts into boards like the EXT65 I linked.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Drop has a lubing station for 24 bucks. I had no intentions to lube my T1s until I saw that thing. Not sure if it’s even worth lubing them.

LaughingWallaby
Mar 29, 2020
I'm thinking of assembling a clicky Kailh Choc keyboard (all my previous boards have been tactile/linear MX-like switches), and was wondering if anyone has any preferences between all the clicky Kailh Choc choices:

- Choc White (50g operating force)
- Choc Pale Blue (70g)
- Choc Navy (same spring as Pale Blue, but thicker clickbar)
- Choc Jade (same spring as White, but thicker clickbar)

Anything that really stands out or any specific switch I should avoid? I'm thinking of going with the Jade since lower operating force with a heavier clickbar sounds like it might be nice to me, but I'm open to the other choices too.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

LaughingWallaby posted:

I'm thinking of assembling a clicky Kailh Choc keyboard (all my previous boards have been tactile/linear MX-like switches), and was wondering if anyone has any preferences between all the clicky Kailh Choc choices:

- Choc White (50g operating force)
- Choc Pale Blue (70g)
- Choc Navy (same spring as Pale Blue, but thicker clickbar)
- Choc Jade (same spring as White, but thicker clickbar)

Anything that really stands out or any specific switch I should avoid? I'm thinking of going with the Jade since lower operating force with a heavier clickbar sounds like it might be nice to me, but I'm open to the other choices too.

Are those the same as Kailh BOX Jade and Kailh BOX Navy?

I'd not heard of the Choc line before, and I'm phoneposting so I can't look it up yet.

I think there was also a BOX Pink; my buddy got those and really liked them. (I have the BOX Navy and they're fantastic)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Choc line are low profile mech switches.

They are...odd?

LaughingWallaby
Mar 29, 2020

Zarin posted:

Are those the same as Kailh BOX Jade and Kailh BOX Navy?

I think they're the same idea as the BOX thick clicks, but applied to the more compact Choc form factor (heavier clickbar, stiffer springs than the base Kailh Choc line).

I've heard some good things about the Choc Navy, so I think I'll go with that one for now and post a review when it gets here.

CyberPingu posted:

Choc line are low profile mech switches.

They are...odd?

Yeah, that's why I'm kinda curious about them...I wonder whether they maintain a decent amount of tactilty despite the lower travel.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_ucdyi1ms

Actually not sure the video is all that useful, but you can enjoy Chyrosran22's voice.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I went through my box of spare keyboard stuff and I have, apparently, 65 box jades and 51 box royals.

Now I gotta build like two more boards. What a pain in the rear end.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

.Z. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_ucdyi1ms

Actually not sure the video is all that useful, but you can enjoy Chyrosran22's voice.

He's why I want all these expensive keyboards.

LaughingWallaby
Mar 29, 2020
When digging around for Choc Navy information, i came across this video talking about "Choc V2" switches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWU79u4GSr8

TL;DR the Choc V2 stem is Cherry MX compatible, but PCBs will still have to be modified to fit the new switch housing design.
Still seems like its annoyingly incompatible with the MX-style standard that most of the keeb community uses.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sorry; it came from reddit, and it's a meme, AND there's red circles, but it does a pretty good job of accurately describing this hobby.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
There was a guy commenting on a group buy the other day that said "Lmao who would wait 8 months for keycaps".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My brother is so excited that the Susuwatari keycaps shipped after two years.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Am I your brother? :v:

Just got the shipping notification for my order too. I guess I'm excited?

edit: originally, I was interested in the Extras set for all the neat OS and modifier keys, but now I'm glad I only ordered base + spacebars. Otherwise, my shipment would have been delayed until whenever the other sets arrive from the manu

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 28, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u if you were still in the market for a southpaw layout, they are selling an acrylic version of the EXT65 now.
https://keyboardtreehouse.com/collections/in-stock/products/ext65-case-and-pcb-bundle

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u if you were still in the market for a southpaw layout, they are selling an acrylic version of the EXT65 now.
https://keyboardtreehouse.com/collections/in-stock/products/ext65-case-and-pcb-bundle

Thanks! I'm going with a 60+custom numpad instead but that's a rad case.

Speaking of, though...
What's a good SA profile keycap set that's all Row 3? XDA just isn't tall enough for my liking.

I should qualify this by saying "good QUALITY" like a nice dye sub or even doubleshot PBT that won't wear or fade like my lovely Alibaba "doubleshot ABS" shine through keycaps have.

I'm seriously considering the MT3 Susuwatari on Drop right now but after hearing everyone had to wait 2 years for theirs I'm honestly afraid.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 29, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thanks! I'm going with a 60+custom numpad instead but that's a rad case.

Speaking of, though...
What's a good SA profile keycap set that's all Row 3? XDA just isn't tall enough for my liking.

I should qualify this by saying "good QUALITY" like a nice dye sub or even doubleshot PBT that won't wear or fade like my lovely Alibaba "doubleshot ABS" shine through keycaps have.

I'm seriously considering the MT3 Susuwatari on Drop right now but after hearing everyone had to wait 2 years for theirs I'm honestly afraid.

I think we're safe on Susuwatari (just ordered) as the delays for the original groupbuy had been due to getting production up and running.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

I think we're safe on Susuwatari (just ordered) as the delays for the original groupbuy had been due to getting production up and running.

That settles that then. Just ordered the set as well as Tofu60 kit (DZ60RGBv2 + Dark Purple Tofu60 and Brass plate).

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 29, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ugh, drat this wallet destroying obsession.

I don't need an ergo-split layout, but it's so drat tempting.

https://kbdfans.com/products/coming-soon-vulcan-x-kbdfans-maja-mechanical-keyboard-diy-kit

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Ergo splits look real cool. I loved my Microsoft Sculpt which was my daily driver before I got into mechanical keyboards.

But I just Can't loving Stand having numrow 6 on the left hand anymore :smith:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Finally picked up my Nuphy NuType, and I'm over all pleased with it. Got it with with "quieter" Red Kaihua Choc Low Profile switches.

The only thing bugging me about the layout is that oddly I still go for the right-shift which is kind of useless. I hit the up cursor instead. I should have been trained out of it by now, typing on Plancks much of the time.

It is overall a bit taller than I anticipated, but it still feels good, and it's nice having my MacBook trackpad in the correct, usable, place. It's the only bluetooth keyboard I own, so the odd time I need one for PS4 or possibly even Android, it's good to go. The case is quality and doubles as a stand if you need to prop up a phone or tablet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm a right shift left hand numbers row kinda guy.
Left shift is for everything else.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Ergo splits look real cool. I loved my Microsoft Sculpt which was my daily driver before I got into mechanical keyboards.

But I just Can't loving Stand having numrow 6 on the left hand anymore :smith:

What’s bothersome about 6 being on the left hand?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

.Z. posted:

What’s bothersome about 6 being on the left hand?

If you touch type you’re hitting it with the index finger of your right hand.

Muscle memory is a bitch, so if you move it to the left side you’ll miss it a million times before getting used to the new position (if ever)

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
Does anybody have a carry case for a keyboard sized around the same as a Keychron K2 that they can recommend?

I’m seeing this on Drop, but reviews say it’s a bit roomy.

https://drop.com/buy/melgeek-bee-keyboard-carrying-case

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I don't typically carry keyboards around to need a case. But I guess if I had to, I'd just use a wrap like a large Tenba wrap (mostly used for cameras and lenses)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not sure how large the K2 is but I’m pretty happy with the Grifiti Chiton Fat. It’s available in different sizes and pretty cheap.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure how large the K2 is but I’m pretty happy with the Grifiti Chiton Fat. It’s available in different sizes and pretty cheap.
Thanks - these look to fit the bill!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Pulled the trigger and will be getting an Ocean Blue Akko 3084 tomorrow - might cancel my kickstarter if the Keychron K8 and move to a double wireless option of a 65 percent KB with a wireless numpad.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Grimmeh posted:

Does anybody have a carry case for a keyboard sized around the same as a Keychron K2 that they can recommend?

I’m seeing this on Drop, but reviews say it’s a bit roomy.

https://drop.com/buy/melgeek-bee-keyboard-carrying-case

Not sure what size they Keychron K2 is either, but for an extra fancy option there is Modern Coup cases. You can contact them to ask which case would fit your keyboard best.

I contacted them and bought a slightly customized 65% case for the ill-fated Lumina group buy (which will probably never ever materialize). I keep a 60% Tofu keyboard in it now, though, and it's pretty nice. Probably excessive for most needs, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ringo Star Get posted:

Pulled the trigger and will be getting an Ocean Blue Akko 3084 tomorrow - might cancel my kickstarter if the Keychron K8 and move to a double wireless option of a 65 percent KB with a wireless numpad.

That is a drat fine keyboard. I just love the aesthetic and build quality. Makes the Keychrons seem a bit cheap.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

redeyes posted:

That is a drat fine keyboard. I just love the aesthetic and build quality. Makes the Keychrons seem a bit cheap.

It is nice so far! It came in and a few people from my office saw it and were checking it out. I do notice a bit of pinging from the keys so I might take the time to lube up the switches and perhaps throw some foam inside the case. I love that it comes with some white keycaps to help break up the blues a bit. And the keycap puller is a kitty’s paw :3

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can I get some help from the brain collective here? I currently have a Novatouch TKL with some nice caps and love it for home use, but I'm curious about a smaller/more portable keyboard, mainly to throw a set of new caps I got onto something.

Ideally something in the 65% realm seems ideal to me, and I'm not insanely picky on the absolute coolest switches, just something that isn't loud but has some tactility (is that a word?) would be nice. I would REALLY LIKE a delete key, as I use it constantly it seems. page up/page down/home/end/del would all be nice to have.

Any suggestions?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Can I get some help from the brain collective here? I currently have a Novatouch TKL with some nice caps and love it for home use, but I'm curious about a smaller/more portable keyboard, mainly to throw a set of new caps I got onto something.

Ideally something in the 65% realm seems ideal to me, and I'm not insanely picky on the absolute coolest switches, just something that isn't loud but has some tactility (is that a word?) would be nice. I would REALLY LIKE a delete key, as I use it constantly it seems. page up/page down/home/end/del would all be nice to have.

Any suggestions?

You'll probably want to look at 68% boards then if you want a Del key.
- Keychron K2 or K6 for a wireless option. Only option is Gatreon Brown
- Durgod Hades 68. Have option of Cherry Brown, Gatreon Brown, and Gatreon Silent Brown.
- Drop ALT. Premium board, hotswap sockets so any switch you want, has high profile option. But it's going to cost at least $100 more than the other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

Sirbloody posted:

Looks like my Mecha Mini (Silent Reds) is on another delay (Went from June 1st to June 15, June 28th and now July 18th). I am also in the market for a good TKL, originally I wanted Cherry Blues since I would be using my TKL for typing mostly but with all the delays on the Mecha Mini what is a good TKL under $200 that I can get with some Cherry Browns (Unless something else is better for gaming and typing doesn't have to be cherry I am just more familiar with them). I would like a heavy base if possible and a backlight, RGB is nice an all but I never use it to the full effect so as long as the keys are illuminated I will be happy.

Kind of old(ish) but I went ahead and also purchased the Drop CTRL High Profile with Kaihua Box White switches. I was going to go with the barebones board to try out some different switches until I saw the October 9th shipping date. So for an extra $50 I got the keycaps and a set of switches I have not tried so I figured that would be a win win, especially since I can take this board to work (I work in a Top Secret environment at Mount Weather so no Bluetooth or wireless )