Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ledge

As Rain and Adran begin to head toward the stairs they notice humanoid footprints, as well as rat tracks of unusually large size. The footprints lead down the stairs.

Among the rubble is an old ring of stones that contains (and is covered by) the accumulated ash of hundreds of fires, though no fire has been lit here for a few years. Inside the ash pile are a few rough-hewn spear tips of goblin manufacture and small animal bones.

The 5-foot-wide stairs that descend from the first ledge are roughly carved. They aren't dangerous to traverse, however, except that combat while on the narrow path can
be risky. Three small landings lie along the route, the first at 60 feet above the floor, the second at 40 feet, and the third at 20 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Adran

Adran examines the tracks, attempting to discover any further information he can. "Looks like between 3 and 6 humanoids heading in. Looks like our marks. Hard to be certain with all the rats going back and forth, though."

Survival result of 12 to determine what type/how many humanoid tracks there are.

Edit: From Discord

quote:

the rat prints go back and forth both ways, the humanoid footprints only go down, you guess there is somewhere between 3 and 6 people, the prints are a bit muddled it seems so you aren't sure on the exact number

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 24, 2020

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

"Thank you Goolia-friend! Siegebjörna will hold this cursed item hostage and keep party safe! I will tie Hook of Grapple onto it for easy reuse. You never know when a cursed item might come in handy!"

She ties her grappling hook to the place where Goolia cut it and adds it to her bulging backpack.
+1 Knotted Rope (Grappling Hook attached) (50ft)14 lbs to Inventory.

Noticing the possible danger on the steps, Siegebjörna offers to help Karl descend, posturing him between her and the wall, leaving her side exposed.

She tries to distract him from pain by regaling the story of Minrorge, a Goliath that once taunted the ground during a climb, and the ground, feeling insulted, swallowed his spirit when Minrorge fell and kept it for four days before Minrorge finally awoke. Minrorge never climbed again without thanking the ground first for returning his spirit.

"Siegebjörna suggests next time Karl thank the ground for returning his spirit, but it is impressive it returned so quickly. Minrorge would be jealous."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Karl is a little wobbly for a moment, but soon recovers his balance and the rest of his wits. "Yes, I can continue on."

OfChristandMen posted:

Noticing the possible danger on the steps, Siegebjörna offers to help Karl descend, posturing him between her and the wall, leaving her side exposed.

She tries to distract him from pain by regaling the story of Minrorge, a Goliath that once taunted the ground during a climb, and the ground, feeling insulted, swallowed his spirit when Minrorge fell and kept it for four days before Minrorge finally awoke. Minrorge never climbed again without thanking the ground first for returning his spirit.

"Siegebjörna suggests next time Karl thank the ground for returning his spirit, but it is impressive it returned so quickly. Minrorge would be jealous."
"I can handle these steps, I think," Karl tells Siegebjörna, though he does stick close to the inside wall as he listens to her story. "Perhaps you're right. Although I don't see why the earth would want to keep my spirit very long, since I didn't insult it."

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Adran's Voice posted:

I'm glad you're doing better, Karl, but uh...

Perry looks at his wing, which is crooked and bleeding a little.

Rain's Voice posted:

do you think you can give me a hand?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Following Perry's glance, Karl is immediately concerned at the sight of his injury. "Oh, yes, I can certainly do that." He takes Perry's wing and probes it with gentle fingers to find the specific location of the injury, then murmurs words of power over the wound.

Cure Wounds healing 11 damage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oakhurst

Ledge

The group patches each other up and begins to descend the stairs, from ledge to ledge. As they make their way down more appears below them.

A fortress emerges from the darkness. The subterranean citadel, though impressive, seems long forgotten, if the lightless windows,cracked crenellations, and leaning towers are any indication. All is quiet, though a cold breeze blows up from below, bringing with it the scent of dust and a faint trace of rot.

Crumbled Courtyard

The narrow stairs empty into a small courtyard, apparently the top of what was once a crenellated battlement. The buried citadel has sunk so far into the earth that the battlement is now level with the surrounding floor. That floor stretches away to the north and south, composed of a layer of treacherous, crumbled masonry, which reaches to an unknown depth . To the west looms the surviving structure of what must be the Sunless Citadel. A tower stands on the west side of the courtyard.

The floor here is difficult terrain and an Acrobatics check is needed for every 10 feet you move.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Adran

"Well, this is a mess. Let's see if the door holds any surprises," Adran says as he makes his way forward.

Acrobatics 16 to move towards the door.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Adran

As a pit opens up underneath him, Adran tumbles to the ground next to a giant rat. Off-balance, his flurry of kicks fails to land.

Adran falls into a pit trap with a giant rat. He then rolls double 11s on his attack and misses.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

As she sees Adran fall, Julia immediately moves into action to attempt to get to him. Unfortunately the rock is slippery and she immediately slides into one of the many pits littering the area. Growing, she climbs out swiftly using her ooze body before losing her balance again and falling into another pit.

Rolled a 5 and 4 for my Acrobatics checks and kept falling into pits

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Easily hopping across the floor as if gliding, Perry lands near the edge of the pit and lets loose with an Arrow directly at the rat.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Siegebjörna marvels at the way the battlements have sank into the ground, studying their construction before entering the fabled "Citadel of Less Sun."

Watching her friends struggle to enter the pit, Siegebjörna confidently walks up to the edge and produces her pet, Knock-Rock over the lip.

"Watch friends, Knock-Rock is adept at rat crushing. This vermin stands no chance."

Action: Attack Rat with Knock-Rock resulting in 11, which misses...

Siegebjörna glares in surprise as the rat nimbly avoid the overconfident drop of Knock-Rock.

"You greasy rat! Siegebjörna will crush you like you have crushed Knock-Rock's moment of glory!"

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Oakhurst
Ledge

Rain

Rain is suprised by Adran falling into the suddenly very visible pit, and then he hears the skittering of what must be another giant rat. He nimbly avoids falling into the hole, while Siegebjörna drops a boulder on the rat.
He steps up and fires an arrow at the rat, and is happy to see it lodge in it's ribs, unfortunately the rat kept moving.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Seeing the rat slain by another of Perry Reed's precise arrows, Siegebjörna nods in approval before jumping into the pit.

Spitting on both of her hands and getting into a low squat, Siegebjörna lifts the boulder with her legs, not with her back, and squat-jumps with the boulder out of the pit.

Athletics check of 19 to jump out in an unnecessary show of thigh-lift power.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Oakhurst
Ledge

Rain

"Siegebjörna, would you be an absolute hero of Adran, and toss him some of your rope to help him get out of the pit? I'm going to see if that door is open."

Rain turns to move away from the pit, and loses their balance.

rolled a 9 on acrobatics

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

Karl whistles at Siegebjörna's display of strength, then moves cautiously to the edge of the pit, and peers down into it, holding his glowing pebble up and out to let the light shine down into the pit from directly overhead.

Spending 10 ft of movement to move 5 ft to the corner there, then making a Perception check (23) to examine the pit, its contents, and construction.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Rain-on-Water-Friend posted:

"Siegebjörna, would you be an absolute hero of Adran, and toss him some of your rope to help him get out of the pit? I'm going to see if that door is open."

Siegebjörna

"Hah! Yes, Siegebjörna can absolutely be Hero-of-Adran! See? I knew rope-of-knotted-curses-that-betrayed-Karl would be useful!"

Siegebjörna lowers 10 ft of knotted rope into the pit to help anyone climb out.

After rescuing Adran, Siegebjörna looks at the rope and then back to Rain.

"Rain-friend, if you attach rope to something over near door, maybe we can all use rope-of-knotted-curses-that-betrayed-Karl to cross this rubble-floor?"

Trying to suggest a way to make a rope line so that we can solve this acrobatics difficult terrain problem. Ryuujin, is there anything in the room near the door I can attach the rope to?

Edit:

Ryuujin posted:

you can use the rope to help people out of the pit, but there is no where to really tie the rope so that people can use it to brace themselves while trying to travel across the floor

Looks like it's checks all the way down, folks.

OfChristandMen fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 25, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Adran

After a bit of a false start, Adran makes his way out of the hole.

Athletics results of a 4 and then a 22 to climb the rope out of the hole.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

"I have pitons, if there's nothing to hold the rope," Karl says. He moves back from the edge of the pit and hammers a piton into a nearby crenellation. "Siege, toss me the rope so I can tie it off at this end; Rain, if you'd step to the right of the door to be ready to secure it on that side?"

Ryuujin posted:

the dead, but not skeletal, goblin has a scimitar and a shield, and a belt pouch. But you can't tell what is in the belt pouch from where you are.

"Oh, and did we want to take a look at that goblin's gear? There might be something useful in his pouch."

Anshu fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 26, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Broutrut Grimstride

As his compatriots try to figure out the best way to get across the debris-littered, trap-laden courtyard, Broutrut takes the time to carefully examine the stonework, to see if he can determine who may have constructed it, and when, hoping to divine a clue as to what may wait ahead.

1d20 + 4 (Stonecunning) History check = 20

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Karl-Spirit-Friend posted:

"I have pitons, if there's nothing to hold the rope," Karl says. He moves back from the edge of the pit and hammers a piton into a nearby crenellation. "Siege, toss me the rope so I can tie it off at this end; Rain, if you'd step to the right of the door to be ready to secure it on that side?"

"Karl-Spirit-Friend! Siegebjörna is so proud! This is true moment of bravery, facing that which tried to kill you and forcing it to submit to your hammer's will!"

She takes a break from dramatically praising Karl to once again become superstitious of the object before throwing it to Karl.

"Although, much like jilted-ex-lover-with-knife, you are giving it another chance to kill you..."

Siegebjörna watches Broutrut intently while determinedly inching closer to the door.

"Broutrut! Tell Siegebjörna what you know of this place. Someone once told me a Dragon had their minions construct it. Ashardalon was its name."

I believe I am close enough to the door to walk the 5 ft without a check, but happy to make one.

OfChristandMen fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 26, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Crumbled Courtyard

Adran takes the belt pouch from the goblin before he leaves the pit, finding 23 sp and 4 gp, within it. Broutrut meanwhile begins inspecting the stones to try and determine their age and who made them. The exact age is uncertain, they are old though,the cataclysm that caused them to sink and crumble was many hundreds of years ago.

Karl, with the help of the others, sets up a rope bridge to help people cross the courtyard. And the door on the other side of the courtyard is opened.

Tower Shell

This circular area is cobbled with cracked granite, upon which sprawl the bodies of four goblins, apparently slain in combat. One corpse stands with its back against the western wall, the spear that killed it still skewering it and holding it upright. Three wooden doors lead from this area. A hollow tower of loose masonry reaches thirty feet into the air, but the intervening floors and stairs are gone, except for a couple of crumbled ledges.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Oakhurst
Tower Shell

Rain

Rain sighs in relief as he steps into the Tower Shell and to the right of the door, the courtyard was a treacherous as the one time he had had to walk on ice.

He notes the dead goblins and the closed doors, and nocks an arrow to his bow while he waits for everyone to finish crossing the courtyard.

Perception check of 21 for observing the room.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 26, 2020

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Stepping into the courtyard and starts to look over the speared corpse. Seeing the wound, he tries to see if he can determine the fighting style used to kill the goblin.

Insight check to check the goblin:

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 26, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Julia makes her way into the tower shell with the rest, keeping her senses keen for any new traps or other hidden surprises awaiting the group.

Perception check of 22 to check the room for traps

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Siegebjörna's Voice posted:

Karl-Spirit-Friend! Your light is not enough for us all. I will light a torch to assist with this dark place.

Light one of my 10 torches.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

After making it to the doorway, Karl tosses his pebble into the pit. "A gift for the powers of the earth," he says for Siegebjörna's benefit, before unstrapping his shield to re-apply the spell to the holy symbol of Tyr embedded therein. As the light shines forth from its new source, the pebble loses its glow, as if the earth had swallowed up the power he placed in it. Then, resettling his shield on his arm, he steps through the door.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Tower Shell

Investigation reveals that the four goblins have been dead for quite a while, and rats have gnawed at them. The bodies have been looted.

Goolia finds a secret door to the south. The door opens by way of a masonry block that also serves as a lever, which can be pushed in on the left side or pulled out from the right.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Karl Martel

"Which door do you suppose they took?" Karl wonders, stepping briefly back to the one he came in to mark their path with one of his be-ribboned pitons. That done, he approaches the nearest goblin body and kneels to examine it, trying to figure out what killed it.

Medicine 18

Anshu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 26, 2020

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Ryuujin posted:

Sunless Citadel

Tower Shell

Goolia finds a secret door to the south. The door opens by way of a masonry block that also serves as a lever, which can be pushed in on the left side or pulled out from the right.

Siegebjörna

Siegebjörna moves over to inspect the lever, no longer trusting anything in this place.

"Good find Goolia-friend, let Siegebjörna help open Secret door."

Rolls to determine how to best open the secret door. Investigation check of 21 (1d20+3)

Ryuujin posted:

pushing the stone in from the left, and keeping clear of the needle on the right should work. otherwise someone with a thieves' tool can try and disable it

"Siegebjörna has encountered lying-locked-doors like this before. You simply find the liar stone... push in like so... *WHIZZ* ...then dodge needle-tongue-trap, then huzzah! We have figured out how door lies open!"

She uses her knowledge of previous encounters with fortifications and structures to trigger the stone mechanism and avoids the trap.

OfChristandMen fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 27, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Tower Shell

Siegebjörna carefully opens the secret door, avoiding the needle trap in the process.

Secret Pocket

This pocket chamber is damp and cold. The skeletons of three long-dead archers slump against rubble-filled arrow slits along the east and south wall.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Goolia slides into the secret room, looking at the dead goblins in mild distaste. "Why are there so many dead around here? And in a locked hidden room?" As she begins to explore, the skeletons animate and move towards her to attack.

Perception 17 check in the secret room

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Secret Pocket

Goolia enters the secret room and the three skeletons animate, pinpoints of red fire sparkling in their eye sockets as they rise. They reach out to attack, but seem too mindless to use the arrows upon their backs.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Adran

Adran's bow snaps up as he launches an arrow at the only skeleton he can see. "For future references, we're smashing all the bodies we see now!" Adran did not like undead, they were creepy and smelled bad.

17 total to hit for 5 damage on the skeleton south of Goolia

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Jalenia

"Well I guess as far as cultists go you cant you cant fault their persistence."

Shooting at skeleton south of Goolia with my own bow but rolling a 1 for 6 total

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sunless Citadel

Secret Pocket

One of the skeleton's is shot once, then missed by the second arrow. Another skeleton meanwhile raises its sword and swings at, and perhaps through, Goolia.

Goolia is hit for 7 piercing damage.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Reed

Seeing one of the Skeletons lash out at Goolia, Perry moves over until he can see it in his sights. Then, with the torch still in his left hand, draws and looses an arrow at the Skeleton.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Julia 'Goolia' Saltspyte

Goolia recoils in pain as the skeletons attack her, lashing out with an acidic pseudopod as she quickly ululates back into the main chamber safely behind some of her compatriots. "Gah, I hate skeletons. Bony little poo poo..." she continues on swearing more and more creatively as she attempts to reform.

Attack 23 vs skeleton 2. Hit for 8 Acid damage then withdrew, avoiding the OA from the remaining skeleton.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Siegebjörna

Siegebjörna sees Goolia retreat from the secret room that she helped open and sighs in relief as the tracing arrow misses her. She hears the whizzing of arrows into and out of the room and grins at the renewed sound of battle. She heaves up her battering ram, Demolyja and gleefully runs into the room.

Invading the room and seeing the last skeleton cowering in the corner, she heaves her trusty bludgeoning friend, Demolyja into the gutless stomach of the skeleton.

Action: Attack with Demolyja 1d20 + 5 = 18. Damage of 11.

Crushing the last skeleton with a mighty swing against the wall, Siegebjörna grunts in satisfaction.

"Finally, Siegebjörna has helped her friends! Skeletons are easy to smash, like little banks of swine. It is important to crush every skull of your foes, to ensure they cannot hurt you again... let's see what else we find."

Action: Investigation with 1d20+3 = 14.

Siegebjornia confidently struts out of the room, dropping the bone-dust covered coins and their quivers onto the floor in front of everyone.

"Friends carry small coins, Siegebjörna carries big pockets!"

Ryuujin posted:

each skeleton has a quiver of 20 arrows, and careful examination reveals each has a special socket on the quiver that holds a finer arrow, an arrow of exceptional quality and possibly magical.

Edit (Ryuujin's clarification): each quiver has 21 arrows, 20 normal and 1 special for a total of 60 normal arrows and 3 special arrows

Each skeleton also has some silver and gold:
Total: 9 GP, 37 SP

OfChristandMen fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Adran

Adran grabs the special arrows, putting one in his quiver and handing the other two to Perry. He then looks over the two doors, then digs a coin out, flips it, and catches it. "Tails. Looks like the right door, then, unless there are objections?" he says as he checks the door over carefully for more traps.

Grabbing one magic arrow, giving the other two to Perry. Right door as looked at from the door we came in, ie upper door on the map. Perception result of 15 to check for traps or anything else about this door.

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 30, 2020