Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah, I guess. I'd pay for pga live, but Jesus, it's the same cost as Netflix for content that adds only 4 days a week, a few hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Dechambeau is a gonna lose his poo poo.
420+ yard drive (cart path), hits from great lie, great angle, over green, bogey. On a par 4 where Rory hits into water, Phil lays up at 280 to fairway, Bryson uncorks thru fairway, OB.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Scored a 105 today. The quest to break 100 continues. :cry:

1 par, 7 bogies, 4 doubles, 5 triples, and 1 quad (disastrous par 3 bunker adventure)

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 27, 2020

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AndrewP posted:

Scored a 105 today. The quest to break 100 continues. :cry:

1 par, 7 bogies, 4 doubles, 5 triples, and 1 quad (disastrous par 3 bunker adventure)

Started with two missed birdies for par, ended up with a 108. I feel like if i can not explode on 2-3 holes i'll break 100.

Playing Forest Dunes (https://www.forestdunesgolf.com) on Tuesday for my brother's birthday, and I'll be content to be under 120 there, haha.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 27, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you are a group of people who all aren’t breaking 100, I recommend playing 2v2 best ball. It makes golf soooo much more enjoyable.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Going out on Sunday for the first time, been practicing my chipping so fingers crossed :toot:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

xsf421 posted:

Started with two missed birdies for par, ended up with a 108. I feel like if i can not explode on 2-3 holes i'll break 100.

I feel the same way. Obviously the triples are bad but it's usually because I hosed up off the tee and sent it into the junk or something, which is hard for me to recover from. But I had a nice string of bogies going today on the back nine because I didn't completely shank anything or three putt. I think it's right around the corner.

RCarr posted:

If you are a group of people who all aren’t breaking 100, I recommend playing 2v2 best ball. It makes golf soooo much more enjoyable.

I've never played best ball but I have played scrambles and love them. I just need more friends who love golf.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 27, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I played with two guys on Wednesday, good ball striking in general, potential for mid 80s golf. But, probably rarely break 100. Lots of driver in non driver situations, never thought thru a single shot. Par 5? Well, one must try to get on in 2, right? Reachable par 4, but risk far outweighs reward? Go for it!

And they were enjoying themselves. Hitting a 5i off the tee would in no way have scratched their golf itch. Score ain't everything.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

I played with two guys on Wednesday, good ball striking in general, potential for mid 80s golf. But, probably rarely break 100. Lots of driver in non driver situations, never thought thru a single shot. Par 5? Well, one must try to get on in 2, right? Reachable par 4, but risk far outweighs reward? Go for it!

And they were enjoying themselves. Hitting a 5i off the tee would in no way have scratched their golf itch. Score ain't everything.

This reminds me of some delicious poo poo that happened last week. It was on this par 4 hole

and the wind was about 10 - 20 mph down the red line. I said, "Boys, this is going to be a par 5 for me today" and hit a 4 iron off the tee first. Normally, thats like a 180-190 for me, but the wind absolutely killed it. These dudes all pulled out driver, and then sent 3 balls straight in to the drink each. I kept thinking they would just stop, but they kept at it, man. It was honestly starting to get uncomfortable for me, watching these dudes try to will the ball to ignore physics.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I want my driver to be a useful tool in my bag but it's just not there yet. The swing feels different than any other club in my bag and I just can't get it to work when I'm actually playing a round.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

I want my driver to be a useful tool in my bag but it's just not there yet. The swing feels different than any other club in my bag and I just can't get it to work when I'm actually playing a round.

You know, I had a day where I couldn't miss the fairway, and then the next time I couldn't hit it at all. When that happens, I just play with the 3W and move up a tee, and it helps me not come off the course depressed.

Honestly, on a good day, I hit my 3W almost as far as the driver anyway.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Well it was hot as gently caress out today, I think it hit 95/96 but I had one of my better rounds!

loving 3 birdie putts burned the edge of the drat cup.

My dad(Mark) also had one of his best rounds in a long time, he's 66 and still wants to play the same tees as me(1 in from the tips). I keep telling him if he'd move up he'd shoot much better but refuses lol He can still get it out there though, probably averages 245-255 off the tee, has more long irons into greens than he should, but doesn't want to move up yet lol.

My new driver should come in next week too, hopefully comes in before the long weekend.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Shot the second best round of my illustrious career (lol) yesterday, an 87. Played like dog poo poo the front 9 with 11 over and then played 4i off the tee, shortened my swing and slowed my pace down to shoot 6 over on the back. If there was only something to take away from that experience....I guess we'll never know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Grip it and rip it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mcqueen posted:

Shot the second best round of my illustrious career (lol) yesterday, an 87. Played like dog poo poo the front 9 with 11 over and then played 4i off the tee, shortened my swing and slowed my pace down to shoot 6 over on the back. If there was only something to take away from that experience....I guess we'll never know.

I'm really tempted to make myself play an entire round without touching anything longer than a 6i.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Playing a "sunday bag" of like a putter, PW, 7 iron, and 3wood is a really good test for yourself.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Playing a "sunday bag" of like a putter, PW, 7 iron, and 3wood is a really good test for yourself.

The sad thing is this would probably completely fine (replace 3 wood with hybrid). My distances are not consistent enough for me to truly benefit from a 9 different irons. Probably add my 58 degree in there.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

I keep trying to convince the guys I play with to do this but they're always so focused on shooting a score. Let's just have a fun gently caress around day you dinguses.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Every year my dad and I play in a two-man, four-club-each scramble that's a lot of fun. And honestly it doesn't feel like we shoot that much worse than with a full bag. It usually just comes down to getting some practice in the couple days before putting with a SW.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Finally made it out to a par 70 course today and I somehow got a 92 after strictly scoring myself

Only had to drop two and all of my splices worked out in my favour since I splice left instead of right :toot:

I didn’t think to wear a hat and I’m bald so, sun poisoning probably imminent

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My first full 18 since the accident late July.

In any other circumstance I'd be annoyed with this but given the situation I'm not going to argue with a 94. Ankle felt pretty good and only started getting annoyed with me around 16 so that was good. I did fantastic off the tee. Putting was a mess but that's to be expected.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DJExile posted:

My first full 18 since the accident late July.

In any other circumstance I'd be annoyed with this but given the situation I'm not going to argue with a 94. Ankle felt pretty good and only started getting annoyed with me around 16 so that was good. I did fantastic off the tee. Putting was a mess but that's to be expected.

What app is that? I was using Golfshot but I honestly had no idea how to use it other than to see which way to go and to track our shots at the end of the hole

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

What app is that? I was using Golfshot but I honestly had no idea how to use it other than to see which way to go and to track our shots at the end of the hole

Golfshot, it's from their website.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Shot a 110 yesterday, which is great for me since I suck terribly. I had 3 blow up holes that I scored an 8, 9, 9 on. Just hit the thing 4 feet ahead of me. Twice. Then just get frustrated from there on. And they were on flat fairway, I can't even blame it on an uneven lie in rough or anything. I had decent tee shots, and very uncharacteristically my putting was amazing (by my standards). Recently chipping when in close has been a problem with me in that I hesitate and my legs pop up, so I end up skulling it badly. But yesterday I was getting completely under them, sending them sky high and stopping right where they drop. Unfortunately, that was usually short of where I wanted them. I was all over the place, but had 2 holes where everything worked out great. Driver, iron, putt. Felt like a drat pro.

It was me, my cousin, and we were paired up with two older guys. I started off with my usual "Hey, apologies in advance, I'm not very good at all, but I'll be ready so I don't slow us down" and they seemed cool with it. The course was slow, with a foursome ahead and behind us, so nothing we could do there. One of our randos piped up at me "Hey, we gotta pick up the pace, fellas" right after one of my shots that I hit 4 ft. We're waiting at every tee box a good few minutes for the group ahead of us, so I don't know what our pace is going to help. And our partners were taking minimum 5 practice swings, stepping off, re-stancing, take another few practice swings before each shot. Which I don't mind at all. You do you. But his words did get under my skin a little. Our playing partners called it after the 16th hole, and amazingly, I got a bogey and par on the last two. That's phenomenal for me.

Overall, I'm happy with how I did, but I still struggle with consistency. My last lesson was last year, and I'm still trying to remember and apply everything from that. Mostly that I need to "sit down" as the instructor said, follow through on my irons/wedges, and don't take such a huge backswing. Simple stuff, but not totally ingrained yet. Still a great day.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Not happy about NBC taking over the US Open from Fox. I get everyone's hate for Joe Buck (though I think it's unjustified) but Fox was the only network that was continuously progressing in the coverage. I love the shot tracers in the fairway, the birds-eye tracers off the tee box, and how many golf shots they show. NBC is a large step back, not as far as CBS, but still not great.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Daric posted:

Not happy about NBC taking over the US Open from Fox. I get everyone's hate for Joe Buck (though I think it's unjustified) but Fox was the only network that was continuously progressing in the coverage. I love the shot tracers in the fairway, the birds-eye tracers off the tee box, and how many golf shots they show. NBC is a large step back, not as far as CBS, but still not great.

Agreed and as I said in the broadcasting thread, FOX aired more golf than the other networks did, it was the one thing they did better than the other networks. You got to see almost the entire US Open on FOX. The other majors you get stuck behind the networks licencing bullshit.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The first US Open Fox did, Chambers Bay, I think was the worst golf coverage of all time. It was also the worst US Open of all time. Just burnt out brown. I'm sure Chambers Bay is incredible in person but it looked like dogshit on TV.

Also gently caress Joe Buck forever, he sucks poo poo and only has a career because his dad is one of the most iconic broadcasters ever.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Chambers Bay owned and stood in pleasant and stark contrast to the painted green piped in sounds of Augusta bullshit.

Joe Buck does suck though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Chambers Bay fuckin ruled. US Open always needs to be the Chaos Major

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Popero posted:

Chambers Bay owned and stood in pleasant and stark contrast to the painted green piped in sounds of Augusta bullshit.

Joe Buck does suck though.

I wasn't a fan of his either until I listened to a couple of podcasts where he was the guest. He's actually really funny and well aware of everyone's perception of him. It really changed my view of him.

Faldo has to go though. I'm done with him. He's just all-around awful and has 0 self awareness.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah how good or awful Buck sounds depends HEAVILY on who he's paired up with, but he's an awesome interview. He's definitely loosened up in the last few years and he's still one of the only big name announcers who knows to shut his rear end up at big moments.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
gently caress em all. No color commentary, just have pro sports guys tell us what's up as they go from group to group. Any time a camera is on a commentator, it's not on golf. Just don't even give them a camera. Voiceover from knowledgeable person, mic up whoever will let them, show us golf.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

That plus Big Randy with on-course commentary and interviews.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Glad I’m not the only one who liked Chamber’s Bay. It was just weird fun madness. Watching DJ three putt from like 25ft to lose with Gretzky looking on disapprovingly from atop the hill was amazing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
gently caress Augusta, I want these dudes playing at bonkers courses. Its why Royal Melbourne was so good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I should have specified, Fox's coverage of Chambers Bay was loving terrible.

All of the camera angles were wrong, their cameramen couldn't track a golf ball in the air, it was a nightmare to watch.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I should have specified, Fox's coverage of Chambers Bay was loving terrible.

All of the camera angles were wrong, their cameramen couldn't track a golf ball in the air, it was a nightmare to watch.

OK yeah that's fair, and I do think part of the issue there was that it had a really goofy layout and didn't allow for many places they could set up towers for cameras either.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I'm looking for zero drop golf shoes. I have been golfing the last few years in my Altras (zero drop running shoes with reasonably good grip but no spikes/cleats) and they are great but don't give me enough traction and I'm noticing it now in my swing. Any suggestions? The first few google hits all look like dad orthopedic mesh bags or vaporware kickstarter garbage. https://truelinkswear.com/shop/ look promising in principle but I am worried they are closer to the latter.

Petey fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 29, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're absolutely Instagram Kickstarter bullshit, their about us page hits all the empty buzzword phrases

"our story" posted:

Welcome to TRUE. The motivation that started us in 2009 is the same today - helping you #enjoythewalk. To all who have stuck by our side since day one - we thank you. To our next friend to experience TRUE and join us on the walk, we’re looking forward to adventuring together.

At TRUE we make holistically designed technical wear, inspired by our adventures, built to adapt to whatever weather, challenge, activity or terrain you are facing. But let’s face it, that’s a mouth full; what does that really mean?

Originally, we were inspired by one thing: the lack of a comfortable golf shoe designed for (and by) the walking golfer. So we set out to change what a golf shoe could be and introduced a revolutionary golf shoe that changed what a golf shoe looks like, and where your golf shoes can take you.

As we’ve grown up, we’ve come to believe that our golf shoes should be more than just golf shoes. Because the truth is, as passionate as we all are about golf, we don’t spend every day isolated to the links. We know our fellow Wayfarers have varied passions and pursuits outside of just golf.

We want our shoes to be your favorite shoes, not just your favorite golf shoes. Our hope is that your TRUE’s experience the course, the office, a dirt path, the sideline of your kid’s sports game, and wherever else your feet take you. To this end, every pair we make is designed to perform both on and off the course, keeping you comfortably in stride so you can #enjoythewalk through your everyday life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DJExile posted:

They're absolutely Instagram Kickstarter bullshit, their about us page hits all the empty buzzword phrases

They're very popular on the NoLayingUp boards and there's almost always a discount code to use:
https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/golf-shoe-and-belt-discussion-the-roast-of-alexshreff-s-orthopedic-nurse-lunch-lady-sneakers/3145

Check through the latest posts there to see if you can get a discount if you do decide to purchase