Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Late Sunday breakfast. Two fried eggs, can of beans, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and flatbread. A bit calorie dense but by god it helped me to get on my feet. And by "on my feet" I mean to the living room to play some Fallout Tactics.

Good morning UK chat goons.

Edit: What a dumb cat, I want 37 of them-snipe.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Galewolf posted:

Late Sunday breakfast. Two fried eggs, can of beans, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and flatbread. A bit calorie dense but by god it helped me to get on my feet. And by "on my feet" I mean to the living room to play some Fallout Tactics.

Good morning UK chat goons.

First question do you melt the cheese in while cooking or do you sprinkle on top?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

tomorrow never dies imo

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

MonkeyLibFront posted:

First question do you melt the cheese in while cooking or do you sprinkle on top?

Feta is not a good melty cheese imo so I eat seperately like piece of shortbread+feta slice+tomato+piece of fried egg combo.

I sprinkle on top if I make shakshuka or menemen.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I only knew of shakshuka from Hey Duggee and I have have just looked the recipe up and by God that sounds good

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Rondette posted:

I only knew of shakshuka from Hey Duggee and I have have just looked the recipe up and by God that sounds good

Shakshuka is a bit :effort: so I prefer menemen which is similar but doesn't have a tomato sauce base instead have chopped tomatoes, green peppers (spicy ones, even pickled jalapenos can work in a pinch) and eggs. Some people add onions but they are objectively wrong about everything in life and should be ashamed of themselves. A clove of garlic is optional and you can chuck some slices of chorizo if you want some meat and can't find Turkish sucuk (spicy beef/lamb sausage).

J Kenji Lopez-Alt has a nice old school menemen video with western ingredients (the Turkish hot green peppers might be hard to find) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFxXw0eSSC0

It's just so good :getin:

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Shakshuka is the least effort its cooked tomatoes with extras and poach an egg in it

Add or subtract whatever you feel like based on mood and availability

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

wasnt he the baddie in metal gear

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When the walls fell

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Aww yeah we're on the shakshuka for lunch too

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Galewolf posted:

It's just so good :getin:

I've worked summers in kitchens in Turkish holiday resorts and how I knew I'd "made it" was when the chefs trusted me to bang out menemens for the guests because I made it better than them apparently (or the guy was lazy and wanted to get high and would rather I did the job)

I think the novelty of a british guy cooking Turkish food well was also a bit of a draw

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My dad is the kind of guy who would get genuinely mad if he went to an Indian restaurant and was served by a white guy

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

as long as the foods good i dont care who serves me or makes it

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XRbE1buM7M

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
When I had to work at the front counter at my friend's Chinese takeaway every customer that came in would mention that I am not Chinese.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MikeCrotch posted:

My dad is the kind of guy who would get genuinely mad if he went to an Indian restaurant and was served by a white guy

Is he also the kind of person who decides what ethnic restaurant to eat at based on how many ethnic people are eating in that restaurant?

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is THE COOLEST animal i ever seen.

fridge corn posted:

Is he also the kind of person who decides what ethnic restaurant to eat at based on how many ethnic people are eating in that restaurant?
I think this right tho, like i automatically gravitate to a good curry, but i don't really know what makes a goode curry. Like give me a jar of pataks n i will think that ok.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cyril Sneeer posted:

This is THE COOLEST animal i ever seen.

I think this right tho, like i automatically gravitate to a good curry, but i don't really know what makes a goode curry. Like give me a jar of pataks n i will think that ok.

I think it's a stupid thing that libs say to show how woke they are when the entire idea heavily relies on several assumptions

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

goldenninjawarrior posted:

When I had to work at the front counter at my friend's Chinese takeaway every customer that came in would mention that I am not Chinese.

Hope you acted shocked and ran to the mirror every time.

The mirror you previously hung for the purpose.

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fridge corn posted:

I think it's a stupid thing that libs say to show how woke they are when the entire idea heavily relies on several assumptions

hmm, perhaps as a mirkin living in the uk ,perhaps you have experienced discrimination.. perhaps not, but I don't want to tell u how to feel about this.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

fridge corn posted:

if you want to be a pure sciencebrain about it, you want to find a restaurant that has as many people eating in it as possible that look just like you

i just look at menus + reviews tbh

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyril Sneeer posted:

hmm, perhaps as a mirkin living in the uk ,perhaps you have experienced discrimination.. perhaps not, but I don't want to tell u how to feel about this.

it is like, at the local service station, 2 indian guys work. I honesly cannot tell them apart. 1 of the dudes is just avg, the other has a 6 cyl bmw. But i don't/cannot see a difference between them. Sometimes, like what happened last time, I will ask him where his car is and he will be like 'what car'. bad.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

hockey jockey posted:

Hope you acted shocked and ran to the mirror every time.

The mirror you previously hung for the purpose.
"no... no, it happened again"

fall to the floor weeping

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

fridge corn posted:

i dunno it kinda makes sense? people from china are gonna know what good chinese food is like :shrug:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

i dunno it kinda makes sense? people from china are gonna know what good chinese food is like :shrug:

And that's just the first of the many assumptions

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

do they not?

like i as a white english person don't really know anything about actual chinese food . i assume chinese people speaking chinese know better than me about their culture.

e: i have found out do not order the duck with bone because fuuck there's a lot of bone in there

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

palates are not universal, e.g. curries made for english consumption are not necessarily the ones you would find in india

authenticity isn't bad but isn't necessarily top priority in a dining experience

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

palates are not universal, e.g. curries made for english consumption are not necessarily the ones you would find in india

authenticity isn't bad but isn't necessarily top priority in a dining experience

oh yeah but it's nice to try stuff outside your comfort zone

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I would NOT assume that the slop I get from the Golden Sun on a Friday night bears any resemblance whatsoever to any food an actual Chinese person might eat in China.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also cool to assume that the people in the restaurant that you think look chinese are actually chinese

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hemale in pain posted:

do they not?

like i as a white english person don't really know anything about actual chinese food . i assume chinese people speaking chinese know better than me about their culture.

e: i have found out do not order the duck with bone because fuuck there's a lot of bone in there

one of the funnier china posts from the gbs china threads was someone saying that a really popular restaurant in their city opened up a second identical one across the road to try and meet demand except it shut down because nobody ever went in since they only go to the popular one that already has a queue

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Also cool to assume that the people in the restaurant that you think look chinese are actually chinese

next you'll tell me the chinese dude who's dick i sucked wasn't chinese in a shocking twist

e: there's a korean grandma in one of the places i deliver from who's really sweet. doesn't really speak english but gives me free food and when its cold she makes me citrus tea. i was trying to tell her it was lemon tea but she kept correcting me saying it wasn't lemon but citrus :3:

i've never brought anything there but the food is great. story is entirely unrelated to anything but it's cute.

Jose posted:

one of the funnier china posts from the gbs china threads was someone saying that a really popular restaurant in their city opened up a second identical one across the road to try and meet demand except it shut down because nobody ever went in since they only go to the popular one that already has a queue

i wonder if there's any truth in all those really expensive restaurants with 2 week waiting lists faking it all just to make them look super fancy

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 28, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

1. assuming that people with chinese ethnicity are 'from' china

2. assuming people appearing to have chinese ethicity have either an ingrained sense of what is good or a cultural history with those foods because of their ethnicity

3. assuming that the chefs have the same

4. assuming that the bastardised fusion of sichuan, cantonese, jiangsu and min cuisine that we call 'chinese' food is in any way an accurate representation of those cuisines

5. or even assuming that any of the above are actually true, that you are looking at a 'chinese' person of the corresponding region

6. italian food is better

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

please do not @ me about 6, i am eatin this cheese pizza

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had chicken balls* and curry sauce from a local Chinese takeaway last night, beginning to worry I've appropriated Scottish culture of only eating something if it's battered and deep-fried.

*If those were just the balls, I'd hate to see the size of the chicken :dadjoke:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

1. assuming that people with chinese ethnicity are 'from' china

2. assuming people appearing to have chinese ethicity have either an ingrained sense of what is good or a cultural history with those foods because of their ethnicity

3. assuming that the chefs have the same

4. assuming that the bastardised fusion of sichuan, cantonese, jiangsu and min cuisine that we call 'chinese' food is in any way an accurate representation of those cuisines

5. or even assuming that any of the above are actually true, that you are looking at a 'chinese' person of the corresponding region

6. italian food is better

i think it's more than an assumption. when i'm in france for example everyone knows im loving english immediately before i even open my mouth. i reckon i could point out a students home country from their fashion.

e: though alright, i do agree with you in general and a better way of saying it would be that a place run by an italian family is probably gonna be better than herbies pizza.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 28, 2020

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Apparently Chinese takeaways had to invent their own curries when they started in the UK because people weren't sure what the food was.

I can totally believe that because where I am there are still people who don't trust it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Fortune cookies were an invention by japanese immigrants in america

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

Gosh I just love it when my boss and coworkers remind me and also customers they are only wearing PPE because of me.

I mean we could be wearing it because we have a very public facing job but nah, it's the sicko who won't come back to work unless people use masks and gloves

I know they mean well, it's just very frustrating and makes me feel like an inconvenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

In other news my boss thought I never got the official shielding letter and other people who did are off til 31st July.

The look of horror on his face when I told him I did get it, the disease I have was too rare to be on the initial list so it had to come from my doctor.

Lol