Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i finished season 1 of TLA. a couple of thoughts:

- good gravy, the video quality of the netflix episodes fluctuates MASSIVELY. as been mentioned, the first couple of episodes are an absolute mess with aliasing, interlacing, dropped frames and all kinds of noise. the three-part finale with the attack on the northern water tribe on the other hand, are absolutely PRISTINE. they look utterly beautiful. i swear, it looks like a show that was animated recently. the series had great art design throughout, but the 3-part finale has some of my favorite. the northern water tribe architecture is so clean and cool looking. just overall, a visual smorgasbord.

- when i was watching the episode with the northern air temple, i had forgotten about those cool fire nation tanks things that could scale walls and still function even when they got flipped over. it's another thing i really liked about the series where it was able to juggle between ancient china, mysticism/spiritualism and just a hint of industrialization. somehow they managed to pull it off. everything still felt quite cohesive despite seeming like they would clash. i don't think any technology in the series really ever felt out of place.

- this is a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, but certain plot points didn't make much sense. biggest one being sokka's role in the finale. for some reason, the king of the water tribe decides to entrust his daughter's safety to....some kid from another tribe that he only met last week? i mean, if sokka were part of a larger kingsguard type thing, okay sure. but BY HIMSELF? you have no other more experienced, more trustworthy soldiers/guards that you could have assigned? and yes, i know, i know. it was mainly for plot related reasons, but even back in the day that still kind of bugged me. the show is certainly mature, but at the end of the day, it's still for kids, i guess.

another thing, which isn't really a plot issue per se, is how zuko infiltrated the norhern water tribe. he tries to sneak in through some waterway, right? the problem is that apparently it was a really large waterway and zuko didn't have a clear idea per se of where he was going. there's one instance, where he's climbing up against a very narrow passageway where he's fighting against a strong current. yes, it looks pretty cool, i'll admit, but pretty much everything that happened during his time underwater was by mere luck. he should have drowned like ten times over. again, i get that this is super nitpicky, and doesn't ruin the episode or anything, but just irked me re-watching it.

- one of the major themes of the finale was dealing with tradition and equal rights. katara wants to be a water bending warrior but master pakku's refuses due to sexism and tells her to study healing instead. the idea of feminism wasn't new in TLA, even back when it aired, but watching this again makes me think just how much of a shitstorm this would have created if it aired today with the anti-sjw industrial complex. same with the kid in the wheelchair in the northern air temple.

- with the nostalgia glasses off, i think i do have to take back what i said a couple of pages ago about season one. it's still definitely enjoyable, but a lot of it is honestly kinda forgettable, i hate to say. i think a lot of my original feeling was due to the novelty of it all. the fact that for the first time in years that we had a mature (relatively speaking) animated serialized action adventure series. S1 does a great job with world building, and i don't want to downplay that aspect as it's a very crucial part of what makes a show good, imo. but most of the episodes aren't that exciting and i found myself feeling bored on many occasions.

anyway, off to season 2 now!

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Kipo is animated at Studio Mir (a top of the line korean studio that animated Korra and also did some work on The Boondocks), while She-Ra was animated at a more standard korean studio (NE4U)

Also all the storyboarders on She-Ra were new blood who had previously only been board revisionists.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

so i finished season 1 of TLA. a couple of thoughts:

- good gravy, the video quality of the netflix episodes fluctuates MASSIVELY. as been mentioned, the first couple of episodes are an absolute mess with aliasing, interlacing, dropped frames and all kinds of noise. the three-part finale with the attack on the northern water tribe on the other hand, are absolutely PRISTINE. they look utterly beautiful. i swear, it looks like a show that was animated recently. the series had great art design throughout, but the 3-part finale has some of my favorite. the northern water tribe architecture is so clean and cool looking. just overall, a visual smorgasbord.

Depending on when you started watching, netflix just recently updated to the hi-def rescans in the past week. Even though the quality did improve as S1 went on in the old versions, the new ones should be significantly better in all episodes.

Of course, they updated just after I finished doing my entire series rewatch, so...

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 27, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

DoctorWhat posted:

Also all the storyboarders on She-Ra were new blood who had previously only been board revisionists.

I mean that's not entirely accurate (Polly Guo had done storyboards for adventure time, Kiki Manrique had done storyboards for a buncha shows, including Venture Bros and Rise of the TMNT, probably buncha others boarders with more experience as well)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mr Interweb posted:

- one of the major themes of the finale was dealing with tradition and equal rights. katara wants to be a water bending warrior but master pakku's refuses due to sexism and tells her to study healing instead. the idea of feminism wasn't new in TLA, even back when it aired, but watching this again makes me think just how much of a shitstorm this would have created if it aired today with the anti-sjw industrial complex. same with the kid in the wheelchair in the northern air temple.

It's depressing looking back and being able to quantifiably see that the internet has become actively more regressive.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

Depending on when you started watching, netflix just recently updated to the hi-def rescans in the past week. Even though the quality did improve as S1 went on in the old versions, the new ones should be significantly better in all episodes.

Of course, they updated just after I finished doing my entire series rewatch, so...

wait, seriously? i thought they lost the high quality versions?

mycot posted:

It's depressing looking back and being able to quantifiably see that the internet has become actively more regressive.

seriously. back then it was a nice, if unremarkable thing, but now that episode probably would have been review bombed to the stone age.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I still can't get over how they got Boulet to do visual development stuff for the first Distant Lands special
https://twitter.com/MrMuto/status/1276176289422913536?s=20

I can vouch for this special. It good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mycot posted:

I still think it hasn't necessarily, but that for some reason people keep on giving megaphones to the most offensive and aggressive people on the internet, and the larger social media platforms become, the more they refuse to effectively moderate them. Well, that and all the boomers got online.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I do wish it had less episodes where the entire conflict/challenge comes from one of the heroes doing something stupid though. Not my favourite kind of storytelling.

Eh. Various intellects and characters being dumb is always what drives this kind of stuff. If everybody acted intelligent at all times, the characters get monotonous and there's no drama or conflict.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

- this is a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, but certain plot points didn't make much sense. biggest one being sokka's role in the finale. for some reason, the king of the water tribe decides to entrust his daughter's safety to....some kid from another tribe that he only met last week? i mean, if sokka were part of a larger kingsguard type thing, okay sure. but BY HIMSELF? you have no other more experienced, more trustworthy soldiers/guards that you could have assigned? and yes, i know, i know. it was mainly for plot related reasons, but even back in the day that still kind of bugged me. the show is certainly mature, but at the end of the day, it's still for kids, i guess.

another thing, which isn't really a plot issue per se, is how zuko infiltrated the norhern water tribe. he tries to sneak in through some waterway, right? the problem is that apparently it was a really large waterway and zuko didn't have a clear idea per se of where he was going. there's one instance, where he's climbing up against a very narrow passageway where he's fighting against a strong current. yes, it looks pretty cool, i'll admit, but pretty much everything that happened during his time underwater was by mere luck. he should have drowned like ten times over. again, i get that this is super nitpicky, and doesn't ruin the episode or anything, but just irked me re-watching it.

1-He'd thought Sokka'd be the glorified babysitter while all the other skilled, capable warriors are dealing with the Fire Nation army. It wasn't so much bad thinking that "Sokka alone should watch over my child" as much as it was "Sokka's the only person left over who is free to guard her."

2- That's the point to Zuko and one of his earliest character flaws: That knucklehead never thinks things through. He did get lucky, which is ironic considering he believes he was "lucky to be born."

3-One of the reasons why I'm glad Avatar came out when it did as opposed to today. I'm just looking forward to dweebs yelling about "forcing politics" in a kid's show like this and it makes me want to scream into the loving sun.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, seriously? i thought they lost the high quality versions?

Netflix is now using the rescans/upsamples from the blu-rays. Netflix didn't have this version to begin with until a week ago, since when it initially returned it was using Netflix's old 2011-ish version which was poor rips of the 480i DVDs.

While the show wasn't originally aired in HD, they have higher quality master material than what went out on SD TV.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 28, 2020

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's a vinyl Hey Arnold soundtrack coming out and even though I don't own a record player I'd totally buy it just because it's been a long time coming.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Youtube recommended me this out of the blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGu0p0Mw7QE

Is this official?

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Youtube recommended me this out of the blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGu0p0Mw7QE

Is this official?

Yes, Cartoon Network in Latin America continued the cartoon crossover promos long after North America mostly stopped doing it, and a lot of those are available in English thanks to the English feed

https://youtu.be/hubOYitOQAc

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Apple and onion makes me happy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tactless Ogre posted:

3-One of the reasons why I'm glad Avatar came out when it did as opposed to today. I'm just looking forward to dweebs yelling about "forcing politics" in a kid's show like this and it makes me want to scream into the loving sun.

I feel like there's been the moral that girls can do everything that boys can in children's media since before I was born, even if it obviously didn't sink in for some people.

When I think of "politics in a kid's show", I think of things like the OK KO episode that tells kids to write to their congressman about gun control, or the Gumball episode on global warming and the 2016 election, since they were making immediately relevant references to contemporarily contested issues, although I suppose any kind of moral could end up politically contested at some point, like the Captain Planet episode about how Hitler is bad could probably get argued against by certain people.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
New Craig of the Creek all this week.

MaoMao returns next week.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No.1 Special posted:

New Craig of the Creek all this week.

MaoMao returns next week.

Was wondering what happened to MaoMao.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's been a bunch of episodes on the app or something by now. It's up to episode 40, the last aired episode was episode 31 back in December.

With Disney killing off Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD in the UK and probably doing the same in the US eventually, I could see CN doing the exact same thing since they basically already do it anyway with their app.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My son has been through a resurgent phase of forcing me to watch Paw Patrol with him. And, er... well, I guess it's the ultimate example of what happens when kids' show writers get bored.

Season 1: the pups pick up litter, rescue a cat from a roof, and put out a small fire with a little PSA about how to deal with emergencies.

Season 7: the pups have ACTUAL SUPERPOWERS, an array of villainous enemies, and aliens and dinosaurs and magic all exist for real.

Amusingly, I read an article about the show's creator (not out of jealousy that he now lives in Monaco on the millions he rakes in from his cut of the merchandising for this and Bob The Builder, oh no), and one of his initial rules was to keep everything small-scale and grounded so that young kids could relate to it. Yep, that lasted.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Payndz posted:

My son has been through a resurgent phase of forcing me to watch Paw Patrol with him. And, er... well, I guess it's the ultimate example of what happens when kids' show writers get bored.

Season 1: the pups pick up litter, rescue a cat from a roof, and put out a small fire with a little PSA about how to deal with emergencies.

Season 7: the pups have ACTUAL SUPERPOWERS, an array of villainous enemies, and aliens and dinosaurs and magic all exist for real.

Amusingly, I read an article about the show's creator (not out of jealousy that he now lives in Monaco on the millions he rakes in from his cut of the merchandising for this and Bob The Builder, oh no), and one of his initial rules was to keep everything small-scale and grounded so that young kids could relate to it. Yep, that lasted.

I have no children and a lot of people I know who don't have kids still watch Paw Patrol (one friend got weirdly defensive when I said it was a strange show).

But I literally could not make it past episode 1, season 1. Two of them saw a cat in trouble of floating away on the ocean so, instead of y'know..helping, they ran back to their base, alerted their friends, and talked about what they should do while they look on the monitor and this cat is still floating away.

I don't think I've ever laughed harder because it was incredibly absurd and weird.

Also there was merchandise with like spy poo poo and the leader was decked out in full tactical armor and I'm still VERY confused about that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Best Paw Patrol thing I've seen was the theory that because the only possible country where Adventure Bay could be located is Argentina (the town's in close proximity to desert, jungle, mountains and the South Pole), Ryder is actually a clone of Hitler created by escaped war criminals - explaining his lack of parents - and all the financing for his endless parade of high-tech vehicles comes from Nazi gold.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm continuing with season 2 of TLA, and i noticed something odd. the episode "return to omashu" apparently showed up much earlier in the season than i remembered. it's not a big deal or anything, but it's kinda freaking me out. i remember back when it aired, it did so several MONTHS after season 1 ended, and that ended in december of the previous year. i know nickelodeon had that capricious schedule, but still. the only reason i'm even bringing this up is because that was one of my favorite episodes, and i remember watching it multiple times when it first aired.

edit: actually, according to wiki, it aired on april 14, 2006, so like 5 months after the season 1 finale. guess that sounds about right. the season 2 premiere was 2 weeks before that. huh, looks like i was wrong and the episode didn't air out of order.

kefkafloyd posted:

Netflix is now using the rescans/upsamples from the blu-rays. Netflix didn't have this version to begin with until a week ago, since when it initially returned it was using Netflix's old 2011-ish version which was poor rips of the 480i DVDs.

While the show wasn't originally aired in HD, they have higher quality master material than what went out on SD TV.

good to hear. though i wonder why they didn't use them right at the start?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like there's been the moral that girls can do everything that boys can in children's media since before I was born, even if it obviously didn't sink in for some people.

definitely. saw that sort of message in practically every show (aimed at kids or adults) growing up. i don't ever recall that being a big deal with any of my boy buddies as a kid.sure, there may have been some teasing here and there with some playmates, but nobody started listening to rush limbaugh or canvassed for bob dole as a result.

quote:

When I think of "politics in a kid's show", I think of things like the OK KO episode that tells kids to write to their congressman about gun control, or the Gumball episode on global warming and the 2016 election, since they were making immediately relevant references to contemporarily contested issues, although I suppose any kind of moral could end up politically contested at some point, like the Captain Planet episode about how Hitler is bad could probably get argued against by certain people.

i think for the average person who doesn't follow politics, there needs to be something explicit, like ACTUAL politicians and political parties being referenced. for people who do follow politics closely, things are much, much looser. i'm personally the kind of person that thinks it's impossible to escape politics because it's possible to argue about pretty much anything, especially stuff that pisses you off in one form or another.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 30, 2020

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr Interweb posted:

good to hear. though i wonder why they didn't use them right at the start?

The less charitable reading was that they didn't think people would notice/care and didn't do it until people were complaining (I know a lot of people on twitter were complaining about the video quality). The more charitable one is that they decided to put it up anyway until they had the HQ material in their system.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don't recall it being said here but the We Bare Bears movie is actually the series finale.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB8iDA2humr/

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Don't recall it being said here but the We Bare Bears movie is actually the series finale.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB8iDA2humr/

Yeah, sounds like most of the team will be moving on to the baby bears spinoff, and it won’t be airing alongside the main show after all.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Payndz posted:

Dinosaurs are real?! :derptiel:

Anyway this is the best Paw Patrol thing, and I fear the day I inevitably accidentally call Chase this in front of my “Poppa Troll” obsessed little cousins:

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/933726161162645506?s=21

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rahonavis posted:

Dinosaurs are real?! :derptiel:
Living dinosaurs, obv. :haw: (In the earlier seasons they had episodes with dinosaurs that ended "oh, it was all a dream", but now they've gone full Lost World with a valley full of prehistoric critters located a conveniently short drive from Adventure Bay.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Do the Paw Patrol now have a Dinosaur-manned station in that valley called the Claw Patrol? :3:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
While digging around for something else unrelated I ran into a random fact, apparently very early in Kim Possible's development one of the people who auditioned for the role of Ron Stoppable was John Cena of all people, with that kind of voice Ron probably would have ended up quite a different character

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently Ron's VA is the same as Terry in Batman Beyond, adding another layer to the episode with Adam West as the Fearless Ferret.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently Ron's VA is the same as Terry in Batman Beyond, adding another layer to the episode with Adam West as the Fearless Ferret.

That was 100% the reason why they did that episode for sure, he's done quite a few other voices too

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Been watching Gravity Falls lately. Those first five or so episodes are kinda rough, but it's deffo in a "we're introducing everyone, the cool relationships and interactions can start when this is done" way. Its been terrific as soon as we hit the president episode. Very intriguing stuff, but holy poo poo does it step up with season 2. Can't get over how amazing some episodes looked, and how much murder the minigolf episode had. We're gonna start episode 8 soon, but I doubt we'll get much time to finish the show 'till later this month when (loving hopefully) a second lockdown starts.

Anyway, the yearly direct-to-video scooby doo movies continue with the rather generic title "Happy Halloween, Scooby Doo!" in which the gang teams up with Elvira and Bill Nye to stop Scarecrow from batman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UVARUhXH4

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The greater Scooby Doo extended universe loving rules.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Scooby-Doo peaked as a franchise for me when loving John Cena, complete with theme music, stopped a boulder from crushing the gang

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Been watching Gravity Falls lately. Those first five or so episodes are kinda rough, but it's deffo in a "we're introducing everyone, the cool relationships and interactions can start when this is done" way. Its been terrific as soon as we hit the president episode. Very intriguing stuff, but holy poo poo does it step up with season 2. Can't get over how amazing some episodes looked, and how much murder the minigolf episode had. We're gonna start episode 8 soon, but I doubt we'll get much time to finish the show 'till later this month when (loving hopefully) a second lockdown starts.

Anyway, the yearly direct-to-video scooby doo movies continue with the rather generic title "Happy Halloween, Scooby Doo!" in which the gang teams up with Elvira and Bill Nye to stop Scarecrow from batman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UVARUhXH4

It's also directed by Maxwell Atoms, creator of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was talking just a bit earlier about how most longrunning mystery series wind up having the characters' extended family becoming either murderers or murder victims, but I like how as extended family members are introduced for the scooby gang, they're all just ridiculous goofballs. Velma's ancestors were mad transylvanian pennsylvanian scientists, Daphne has a cousin who manages a castle, Bobby Flay is somehow Fred's uncle. Shaggy may have had a relative who owned a plantation.

TwoPair posted:

Scooby-Doo peaked as a franchise for me when loving John Cena, complete with theme music, stopped a boulder from crushing the gang

Generally, the harder they try to make a celebrity look cool, the worse it comes off.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

We need a Scooby-Doo & Marvel crossover where we find out that Captain America(Steve Rogers) and Shaggy(Norville Rogers) are related

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has Scooby Doo really not done a Halloween movie before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has Scooby Doo really not done a Halloween movie before?

Witch’s Ghost was Halloween, or at least harvest-themed