Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Should I wait to get a new laptop? When I foolishly tried to fold my current one for transport there were literally crunching noises and it expelled shards of plastic and screws. Don'y get a used Lenovo Y50!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Arglebargle III posted:

Should I wait to get a new laptop? When I foolishly tried to fold my current one for transport there were literally crunching noises and it expelled shards of plastic and screws. Don'y get a used Lenovo Y50!

"This is a 2-1, right?"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why would you wait? If you need a new laptop then buy a new laptop.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Why would you wait? If you need a new laptop then buy a new laptop.

Better deals, new release of hardware or COVID uncertainty. That's why I asked for good deals and waited a bit (and will likely wait a bit longer). I want to drop like 2k on a good one, but I also have maintained financial stability through all this, even though i've been out of work, but recently found out we should be going back in August. That could always change, but I think we'll be going forward even though they paused our reopening due to a spike. The advice about maybe waiting for the new gen of processors in Macs was good, but it also looked to be not necessary at the moment.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
you probably want to wait till you know you have a job, but otherwise you may as well buy a laptop now. I'm sure we'll still be feeling the effects of supply chain disruptions years down the line.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Better deals, new release of hardware or COVID uncertainty. That's why I asked for good deals and waited a bit (and will likely wait a bit longer). I want to drop like 2k on a good one, but I also have maintained financial stability through all this, even though i've been out of work, but recently found out we should be going back in August. That could always change, but I think we'll be going forward even though they paused our reopening due to a spike. The advice about maybe waiting for the new gen of processors in Macs was good, but it also looked to be not necessary at the moment.

I meant to quote Arglebargle III who asked if he should wait to buy a new laptop even though his old one was quite literally exploding every time he used it.

But yes if you're not working please do not spend $2,000 on a laptop right now

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fortunately I have a steady job but you know sometimes a new intel chipset is two months away.

Seems like Ryzen is the way to go now though?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

shrike82 posted:

Are there any gaming laptops that don't sound like jet engines when gaming?

Maybe that one acer Predator laptop where the keyboard slides down and you get a big open vent in the back where the kb used to be, but that's just a guess.

Or maybe like a Dell xps 15 + an external graphics card

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Fortunately I have a steady job but you know sometimes a new intel chipset is two months away.

Seems like Ryzen is the way to go now though?

well if you don't care about thunderbolt for accessories like laptop docks....

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I appreciate the advice and yea, the smart play would be to not buy and just see. But like I said, i'm very financially secure. I work in film and we often go for months not working. We basically work like crazy for 8 months and then go on vacation for 4 months. We are basically just taking a forced vacation rather than a self imposed one. We have productions backed way up because of COVID, so we likely will be working steady for the next couple of years to catch up. When I say we might not go back to work in August, I mean we'll go back to work in either September or October.

But, it's still something i'll have to think about, so thank you. I'm using the time to research more laptops and deals. I'll likely wait for a really good one. I was looking at the Macbooks yesterday and they are giving away a pair of AirPods with the purchase of a Macbook, which I wanted anyway. So i'm considering that.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I have a couple new in box 2019 model Thinkpads if anyone wanted a half-off deal. 8th gen Intel i7
CPUs are still good performers. I’m looking at getting an XPS 15 or a Legion 7 instead.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

re: ShowTime

If you want to play around with Macs, this is a great time to buy, Apple just released their Intel powered 16" macbook pro. If you're financially secure, buy that. There are ~20 years worth of apps/programs out there, Apple is not going to switch whole hog to ARM for at least 5 years. Your mac laptop should hold it's value for a long time.

The new 16" mac has a better screen, better keyboard, and it's under warranty. There's a mac thread if you have specific questions about mac stuff. I wouldn't worry about it becoming unsupported in 3 years or whatever.

Similarly I don't see a whole lot of reason to hold off on buying a PC laptop either. PC laptop CPUs have not dramatically improved in quality in a long time, about 2012 by my count. There is no magic solution to CPU performance anywhere on the horizon (except, maybe quantum computing, but they're still in the "computer fits in a warehouse" stage). A lot of people are rocking laptops from 2012/2016 and they're just replacing them because they've physically worn out and/or replacement parts are getting hard to find/replacement parts cost more than 50% of a new laptop etc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

Similarly I don't see a whole lot of reason to hold off on buying a PC laptop either. PC laptop CPUs have not dramatically improved in quality in a long time, about 2012 by my count

I don’t know what quality means but a lot of people say things like CPU’s haven’t gotten much faster since sandy bridge or something like that, but the Geekbench scores between the two show huge improvements:

700/2700 (2012)

1100/6900 (2019)

Those are 15” scores so you get eight cores vs four

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

strangehamster posted:

I have a couple new in box 2019 model Thinkpads if anyone wanted a half-off deal. 8th gen Intel i7
CPUs are still good performers. I’m looking at getting an XPS 15 or a Legion 7 instead.

I'd be interested in seeing some specs and a price for them. I want to try a Mac but i've always loved Thinkpads. Feel free to PM me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bob Morales posted:

I don’t know what quality means but a lot of people say things like CPU’s haven’t gotten much faster since sandy bridge or something like that, but the Geekbench scores between the two show huge improvements:

700/2700 (2012)

1100/6900 (2019)

Geekbench does not a real world comparison make. For the vast majority of consumers, sandy bridge is just fine for email Facebook and netflix. IPCs have only gone up by about 3-5% per year. There’s just nothing new or special or interesting from generation to generation. After 4-5 generations and the better part of a decade it gets noticeable, but even then older systems are still more than good enough for most people.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

The Iron Rose posted:

Geekbench does not a real world comparison make. For the vast majority of consumers, sandy bridge is just fine for email Facebook and netflix. IPCs have only gone up by about 3-5% per year. There’s just nothing new or special or interesting from generation to generation. After 4-5 generations and the better part of a decade it gets noticeable, but even then older systems are still more than good enough for most people.

That's mostly because of Intel 10nm woes making them use 14nm Skylake for years. Tiger Lake and Zen 3 from AMD later on are going to be a much larger IPC jump than 3-5% but yeah if you only do web browsing and email any laptop works.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I'd be interested in seeing some specs and a price for them. I want to try a Mac but i've always loved Thinkpads. Feel free to PM me.

Same here. I have and XPS 15 and may be willing to trade.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Iron Rose posted:

I’m not saying thy aren’t usable but current systems are almost twice as fast

This goes for photoshop, compiling, anything

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

700/2700 (2012)

1100/6900 (2019)

I think Sandy Bridge is 2011? Ivy Bridge is typically what I think of when I think 2012. Ivy Bridge isn't substantially faster, but it's like 7 or 8% faster than sandy bridge. Probably. I think Haswell was the big jump and then it's pretty much leveled off?

But also in the real world, all this means is that instead of sitting at 30% cpu usage on average, now I sit at 15% cpu usage on average. Something major needs to be happening to exceed 50% cpu on a modern laptop for more than 10 minutes continuously.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I think Sandy Bridge is 2011? Ivy Bridge is typically what I think of when I think 2012. Ivy Bridge isn't substantially faster, but it's like 7 or 8% faster than sandy bridge. Probably. I think Haswell was the big jump and then it's pretty much leveled off?

But also in the real world, all this means is that instead of sitting at 30% cpu usage on average, now I sit at 15% cpu usage on average. Something major needs to be happening to exceed 50% cpu on a modern laptop for more than 10 minutes continuously.

Yeah most people won't any difference in real world behavior doing common computing tasks like browsing the internet / Streaming HD videos from Netflix especially since there has been a lack of breakthrough like improvements for intel CPUs.

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 27, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

is netflix 4k still a poo poo show on PC?

i only even really thought of it because i dont think you could even watch 4k netflix on an external 4k display on those laptops (not that thats hugely important or relevant)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

is netflix 4k still a poo poo show on PC?

i only even really thought of it because i dont think you could even watch 4k netflix on an external 4k display on those laptops (not that thats hugely important or relevant)

Netflix in general is a shitshow on PC. I barely use it unless I’m home with a PS4 or Smart TV because it just doesn’t play nice with my laptop at all.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad is the one paying for this since it’s supposed to be a birthday present (and I have no money), so we’re using his bank, which is a tiny lovely rear end local credit union place. He does also have a Bank of America account, though, which we might use instead if Country rear end Podunk Shithole Redneck Truckmonkey Credit Union keeps giving us trouble.

I have a checking account at BBVA I can use too, but I’d have to transfer the money to that account to be able to pay for this, and if I make a deposit that big then there’ll be a hold on all but like $200 of it for...... I forget the exact amount of time, but it’s somewhere between about 3 days and 2 weeks, and I need to pay for this laptop NOW.

SUPER LATE UPDATE: I FINALLY GOT THE ORDER TO GO THROUGH!! :neckbeard:

... on Friday of last week.

Apparently the problem actually WAS with the lovely rear end local credit union the entire time! We placed the order with Bank of America and the payment went through the first time without a hitch.

So remember, kids! The next time some stupid idiot literal pinko commie C-SPAMmer tries to tell you to put your money in a local credit union instead of a REAL big boy national bank because something something :qqsay:CORPORATIONS BAD:qqsay: or whatever bullshit, tell that little hashtag “woke” hippie bitchboi to go back to its drum circle and gently caress itself with their Occupy bullhorn, because at least a REAL bank will actually let you SPEND your money like our great American Christian God intended! :fsmug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

you sound good at commerce

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Any advice on tracking down replacement batteries for an XPS 15 (9560)? Apparently my battery has reached the end of it's life (according to the startup diagnostic) and I can't seem to find them anywhere online, or be sure I'm looking at the right battery if I do find it somewhere. Dell doesn't sell them evidently and I can't get in touch with support since it's the weekend.

Edit: also, was 2017 a bum year for the XPS 15 or something? This isn't the first problem I've had with this thing, and I'm not exactly a power user, but it seems like the XPS line consistently gets rated pretty highly and recommended frequently.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 27, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The XPS 15 is plagued with all kinds of weird problems but every other line also sucks in their own special ways so it's still better than most out there.
The brand new XPS 9500 has a ton of people on the subreddit with a weird trackpad issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dell XPS is like “you can deal with the issues or you can’t”

If not, you pay $600 more for an X1

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Are the G3/G5 pretty well-regarded? I do most of my gaming on console, so I'm not really looking for a gaming PC, but it'd be nice to play some xcom 2 or civ or whatever occasionally without melting anything. It seems like I can get better specs than anything comparable for pretty cheap with the 10% off sale they're currently running + the cash back thing from AmEx.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hulk Krogan posted:

Are the G3/G5 pretty well-regarded? I do most of my gaming on console, so I'm not really looking for a gaming PC, but it'd be nice to play some xcom 2 or civ or whatever occasionally without melting anything. It seems like I can get better specs than anything comparable for pretty cheap with the 10% off sale they're currently running + the cash back thing from AmEx.

I did not like my G3 with the 1050Ti at all. The screen sucked and the 1050 Ti was pretty dogshit.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
My Ryzen T14 finally shipped this morning, ordered it over 3 weeks ago. I can post some impressions once I get it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hulk Krogan posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I did not like my G3 with the 1050Ti at all. The screen sucked and the 1050 Ti was pretty dogshit.

I own a Latitude 7577, the thing that was the G line before they rebranded. I think it is a pretty good laptop for what I paid for it in the worst parts of the bitcoin craze, because there was no way to gouge laptop GPUs.

That said, the build quality and spec of my laptop was more akin to a G5 than a G3, and I definitely had a lot more use out of it, since mine was specced with a 1060.

However, the laptop is kind of falling apart internally, and doesn't stand up to multiple disassemblies well, and I REALLY don't like how much work it is to take everything apart for a repasting. I do have a three-year warranty on it, though, so I will be sending it into the depot for a top-to-bottom refurb now that I have a desktop to use in the meantime.

mrurth
Apr 21, 2005

e: bought the ASUS, seems to be working fine.

I bought my girlfriend an HP Envy x360 (model 15-cn1073wm) in September 2019. It's got an i7-8565U, 8GB of RAM, and no dedicated graphics. She seems to like it well enough, but the Sims doesn't run very well. She also plays Diablo 3 a bit, and that seemed pretty ugh the last time we played. She mainly uses the laptop for school work, but has not been using it to take notes on screen (we do have a pen for it). So weight is super important, but having a touch screen isn't.

So, which laptops should we be looking at? Here's the wishlist:

$1,200 or less would be ideal
weighs 4.5 lbs or less
~10 hours battery when not gaming
i7/Ryzen 7
16GB RAM
1660ti
Thunderbolt might be nice?

I was looking at the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G 15.6" model GA502DU-BR7N6 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds) which has a Ryzen 7 (so no Thunderbolt, right?), 16GB of RAM, and a 1660 Ti Max-Q. It does look like it's much closer to 5 pounds than 4.5, but other than that, would this be a good pick or are there issues?

Thanks!

e: bought the ASUS, seems to be working fine.

mrurth fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 30, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FCKGW posted:

The XPS 15 is plagued with all kinds of weird problems but every other line also sucks in their own special ways so it's still better than most out there.
The brand new XPS 9500 has a ton of people on the subreddit with a weird trackpad issue.

Yeah I know in Matthew Moniz review he got so pissed off at the new production model XPS 15 he sent sent it back early.

Apparently has some sort of hardware trackpad glitch that makes the cursor go crazy.

Root cause is the screws that tighten down the trackpad hardware were found to be loose which leads to a " diving board" effect when trying to use the laptop.

Also similar to previous Dell XPS it has similar thermal management issues mainly when running the dGPU and CPU at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTctegVrV7M

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 28, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does the new XPS13 have the same issues as the XPS15 (or any major issues?). Gonna pick one up for my pops.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Does the new XPS13 have the same issues as the XPS15 (or any major issues?). Gonna pick one up for my pops.

I've haven't seen any of the reviews mentions issues on the 2020 XPS 13 like XPS 15 trackpad issue.

Also because the XPS 13 has integrated graphics it's not the same thermal stress environment you would see in the XPS 15 and the XPS 13 design has been updated to add in improvements such as a 2nd dedicated fan.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, and as far as G3 goes, though I could technically upgrade the RAM, I couldn’t get it to boot with anything other than the factory RAM even after verifying speeds/voltages/etc.

I even double checked online to make sure that I was in fact using compatible stuff, and I was, but it wouldn’t boot with anything other than the factory RAM. May have just been some bizarre manufacturing fuckup on the laptop’s part (definitely not the RAM, I tried 2 batches of 2 sticks each for the upgrade) but it’s the only time I’ve ever had that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I’m curious what review people think of the new XPS 17 so far, since mine is right about to ship.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of which, do y’all have any favorite carrying bags/cases for a 17” laptop? Something that offers some amount of protection, preferably checkpoint-friendly, with at least a shoulder strap and (I hope) a trolley strap.

I’ve got about $200 in Dell Rewards bucks, so I’d like to get it from there if I can, unless I can get a better one elsewhere or y’all can think of something better to spend that money on instead.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 28, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh, and as far as G3 goes, though I could technically upgrade the RAM, I couldn’t get it to boot with anything other than the factory RAM even after verifying speeds/voltages/etc.

I even double checked online to make sure that I was in fact using compatible stuff, and I was, but it wouldn’t boot with anything other than the factory RAM. May have just been some bizarre manufacturing fuckup on the laptop’s part (definitely not the RAM, I tried 2 batches of 2 sticks each for the upgrade) but it’s the only time I’ve ever had that.

Oh yeah, I have one of those problems too.

It's the damndest thing. I've got a 2x16 kit of DDR4-2400 SO-DIMMs in the thing as an aftermarket upgrade. Plug them in one way, no bueno, it'll turn on and cut out after three seconds. Switch the two around, and the thing works, and I never have any problems with it unless I forget which stick goes where after a teardown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m curious what review people think of the new XPS 17 so far, since mine is right about to ship.

Loving mine. Coming from an xps15 circa 2017, so it was time.