Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Am I crazy or do Pve baddies do like double damage this season? poo poo feels messed up

number one question on destiny reddit is about this, there were a few questions about it over the last few days, zero response from bungie yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hmmm... I try to avoid agreeing with reddit when possible but those boys might just be onto something here

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hmmm... I try to avoid agreeing with reddit when possible but those boys might just be onto something here

seems like it's very activity-dependent given this thread, strike and gambit playlists are where a lot of people are noticing it, but the dungeons (including the new one) and raids seem less so https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/hguzh4/did_they_make_our_characters_weaker/

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I feel like I've been dying super fast in pit lately. I might just be bad tho

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The thing about Destiny 2 is that it sucks. Why season of the worthy and menagerie was fun? Because it was designed in a fun way. Menagerie is essentially the same rat race but 1. We were told from the start what it is 2. Calus is fun cartoon character and praises us when we do good. D2 is no longer pleasure its pain in the rear end

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Menagerie sucks rear end. Boring brown levels with stupid mechanics. The only good thing about it is you can pick your loot if you farm enough.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

heavens forbid the game be actually challenging

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Sekenr posted:

The thing about Destiny 2 is that it sucks. Why season of the worthy and menagerie was fun? Because it was designed in a fun way. Menagerie is essentially the same rat race but 1. We were told from the start what it is 2. Calus is fun cartoon character and praises us when we do good. D2 is no longer pleasure its pain in the rear end

heated game moment posted:

Menagerie sucks rear end. Boring brown levels with stupid mechanics. The only good thing about it is you can pick your loot if you farm enough.

You guys don't have to play the game, you know that right?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RocketRaygun posted:

heavens forbid the game be actually challenging

We found them. We found the person who invented difficulty levels in video games just being bigger numbers.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

We found them. We found the person who invented difficulty levels in video games just being bigger numbers.

Yes, because Reckoning was not a good way to create difficulty.

Red Bar enemies should be a threat. They shouldn't be so laughable you can stand there for 15 seconds or more and not die. Challenge gives the game's mechanics, perks, and loot meaning. If you can't overcome something with the random junk gear you are wearing, you should figure out how to make a build to survive.

Granted, this is likely not what bungie has intentionally done, but they really should keep it.

Also, Contest mode is on for Interference which is usually what reddit uses to justify "oh i die more often". I haven't noticed enemies being particularly more lethal.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Red bars are mostly there as pressure multipliers, if you're not careful a group of red bars with for example a wizard providing support will gently caress up anyone on a good day. There has to be a balance between clear moments of power fantasy and a good challenge. Hoards of red bars with leaders at the back of their pack is a good way to do it.

It's been a clear encounter design since the very early days of Marathon and isn't an accident.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

RocketRaygun posted:

You guys don't have to play the game, you know that right?

This is like the shittiest defense of anything ever. Yeah, I know and I don't. and the game is still bad

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
There is a reason why Warframe haven´t left my computer and Destiny 2 has been uninstalled several times. Because for all it´s faults, at least the Warframe devs are willing to try different stuff and see what sticks. Bungie is pretty much stuck in it´s development rut and I sincerely doubt that they´ll be able to break out of it due to a lot of factors. I´d be really goddamn happy if Bungie were to prove me wrong but right now it feels that they are transferring their resources into whatever the next title will be.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

There is a reason why Warframe haven´t left my computer and Destiny 2 has been uninstalled several times. Because for all it´s faults, at least the Warframe devs are willing to try different stuff and see what sticks. Bungie is pretty much stuck in it´s development rut and I sincerely doubt that they´ll be able to break out of it due to a lot of factors. I´d be really goddamn happy if Bungie were to prove me wrong but right now it feels that they are transferring their resources into whatever the next title will be.

Warframe devs honest to god want to do right by their players, destiny devs are kind of lost

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Menagerie seemed cool, but watching goons grind it out 50 times a day for two weeks on discord was bananas.

tacit
Aug 1, 2002

Sekenr posted:

Warframe devs honest to god want to do right by their players, destiny devs are kind of lost

yeah the recent Tommy's Matchbook catalyst quest was a perfect example of this.

Warframe devs would be like "oh we made a mistake that left players at a disadvantage ? Here have the completed catalyst on us. Those that already completed the quest ? Here have some golf balls for that effort you had put in"

Instead we get the quest reset except with a lower kill count, no matter how close or far we were from finishing it.

The recent powerfuls bug was the closest they came to the warframe grind experience in that short timeframe where they patched the AFK farming out but still allowed extra powerfuls. Speed running nightmares for both the resource and the engrams resulted in an actual feeling of progression from optimising the grind - and to me at least it was legit fun times (although still not quite like a warframe 35 second T3 capture).

But now we are back to the "play it your way" of doing the exact same activities each week while relying on RNG for the drop you need to progress. I really do hope they learn from this happy accident, but we all know they wont.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Why does this game take so long from startup to actual character load in and play

It seems universal on anything I play it on too

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Orange Carlisle posted:

Why does this game take so long from startup to actual character load in and play

It seems universal on anything I play it on too

Even on an SSD it takes forever and you still get the 5 second pauses in the same spots in the middle of strikes, I have no idea what is wrong with the client lol

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RocketRaygun posted:

Yes, because Reckoning was not a good way to create difficulty.

I’m sure there’s alternatives to a quarter second of gunfire killing you and being stomped off a narrow bridge, because raids already exist.

RocketRaygun posted:

Red Bar enemies should be a threat.

lmao ok nevermind.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

RocketRaygun posted:

Red Bar enemies should be a threat.

Nah man, this ain't it.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
red bars should exist for me to get a dopamine rush from clicking their heads.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The game is at its best when red bars die to one crit

Scaling up enemy health and damage is not a good form of difficulty modifier, IMHO, but it's an easy, cop out way of adding difficulty so it's here to stay until Bungie hires a 7th employee

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Finished the dungeon last night. It was dope. More content like that please (but also less of a grind to get there please)

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The game is at its best when red bars die to one crit

Scaling up enemy health and damage is not a good form of difficulty modifier, IMHO, but it's an easy, cop out way of adding difficulty so it's here to stay until Bungie hires a 7th employee
This is pretty much my take on it as well. Bungie really doesn´t have a good way to tell when they upscale an enemy if it turns into something challenging or something really loving obnoxious.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’ll never understand the people who want the moment-to-moment gameplay of Destiny, in PVE anyways, to actually be difficult. The mechanics of this game are not complex enough to justify that. This isn’t Devil May Cry*. The closest the game comes to genuine, creative difficulty is stuff like the raids and dungeons that asks players to perform a specific “dance” with each other to proceed, an interlinked routine. That stuff’s very cool.

But there’s no way to make the basic “move around and shoot things” require better execution. That’s kind of an easy skill to master. The best service that kind of gameplay can provide is to act as a fuckaround space where you can see the cool effects of your build and your exotics and see what good interactions you can get out of them.

*if someone does make a GaaS character-action game it will be all I play until I am a skeleton.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 28, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Grandmaster Nightfalls lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

I’ll never understand the people who want the moment-to-moment gameplay of Destiny, in PVE anyways, to actually be difficult. The mechanics of this game are not complex enough to justify that. This isn’t Devil May Cry*. The closest the game comes to genuine, creative difficulty is stuff like the raids and dungeons that asks players to perform a specific “dance” with each other to proceed, an interlinked routine. That stuff’s very cool.

But there’s no way to make the basic “move around and shoot things” require better execution. That’s kind of an easy skill to master. The best service that kind of gameplay can provide is to act as a fuckaround space where you can see the cool effects of your build and your exotics and see what good interactions you can get out of them.

separate from the actual gameplay involved, making moment-to-moment gameplay hard in MMOs just loving sucks. wildstar infamously had its trash enemies use lots of AOEs and telegraphed abilities requiring dodging and it made an already brutal game even less appealing when basic-rear end level grinding requires you to be on high alert

I do think if Destiny actually had, like, as many strikes as FF14 has dungeons, and had a separate "high level" strike playlist like FF14 does, then they'd have room to experiment with harder matchmade weekly activities, but unfortunately Bungie is fundamentally unable to create strikes for reasons beyond mortal comprehension and thus they all have to be least common denominator or nightfalls with no in between

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 28, 2020

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

And that´s where the raids of the Destiny franchise simply loses me. I hate that the cool stuff in those raids is buried behind what feels like endless synchronized swimming events that far overstays their welcome.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sylphosaurus posted:

And that´s where the raids of the Destiny franchise simply loses me. I hate that the cool stuff in those raids is buried behind what feels like endless synchronized swimming events that far overstays their welcome.

Have you done any of the raids, personally? I don't know where this reputation comes from and seems limited to wallflower gamers. The fireteam is doing a synchronized swim but Player #1 is doing "pick up 10 motes and deposit them in a bank"

If you haven't beaten Garden of Salvation yet, join one of the many SA PC Destiny 2 discords and find a squad! It's rad content

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Have you done any of the raids, personally? I don't know where this reputation comes from and seems limited to wallflower gamers. The fireteam is doing a synchronized swim but Player #1 is doing "pick up 10 motes and deposit them in a bank"

If you haven't beaten Garden of Salvation yet, join one of the many SA PC Destiny 2 discords and find a squad! It's rad content

Have to agree, the raids are the best content to do in destiny. The teamwork and accomplishment you feel when you beat a raid challenge is second to none. If you're looking for a more triple A shooter campaign experience, then it won't be for you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The amount of coordination required to raid is less involved and less taxing than driving in traffic, the "synchronized swimming" thing is wildly overblown. it's more like playing a level in a video game level together.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah, I felt that only the Leviathan and Spire of Stars overdid it on synchronized swimming. Not necessarily all of their encounters but there's a couple where you just think yeah this is way way way too gimmicky and not really leaning into the fun side of the destiny gameplay.

The best raid encounters are the ones that are simple, but action-packed and need tight execution. Vosiks, Shiro Chi, Warpriest are all standout examples.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I ran most of the raids in D1 at least once and Leviathan and most of the Last Wish in D2. I guess I´m not cut out for the more teambased content since coordinating some of the stuff required in the raids simply bores me to death. Destiny is simply the most fun to me when it´s run and gun.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, I felt that only the Leviathan and Spire of Stars overdid it on synchronized swimming. Not necessarily all of their encounters but there's a couple where you just think yeah this is way way way too gimmicky and not really leaning into the fun side of the destiny gameplay.

The best raid encounters are the ones that are simple, but action-packed and need tight execution. Vosiks, Shiro Chi, Warpriest are all standout examples.

Honestly, I was fine with everything about those, I will admit Spire hit a bit hard on the 'stuff that needs to be called out happening all at once' but it also wasn't -that- weird once you got the rhythm down. Just had more spinup to learning.

To be honest, as much as I enjoyed Throne and what little I've played of Garden, I feel they're both a bit more mindless than Levi, Wish, and Scourge were. I -deeply- miss playing Last Wish, Riven in particular, the legit way.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Here’s a better way to put it: explaining how a raid encounter works to a pack of newbs should only take 5 minutes of yelling max

Sometimes it takes 10 minutes and my throat gets sore

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Legit Riven is amazing, it's so much fun to optimize your loadouts and team composition so you can burn her down in a single phase.

The other method (punishment for low team DPS) where you have to shoot eyes and call out symbols isn't bad either, I guess.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think the methodical clearing of rooms with Divinity painting + simultaneous Izanagi headshots or whatever your strat for Nightfalls is requires more coordination and is much more difficult than any of the raids once they're on farm tbh

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Legit Riven is amazing, it's so much fun to optimize your loadouts and team composition so you can burn her down in a single phase.

The other method (punishment for low team DPS) where you have to shoot eyes and call out symbols isn't bad either, I guess.

Please tell me this is a joke post. :negative:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Deeturbomber posted:

Please tell me this is a joke post. :negative:

No dude I'm serious, there's a way for low damage teams to slowly, gradually chip away at her health without wiping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

This season (and only this season) I keep encountering a strange bug (?) where I shoot my gun, but instead of firing I switch weapons. It happens about once per Crucible match, and it almost always costs me a life.

I thought it might have something to do with my gaming mouse or its software, so I unbound every weapon switch control so that the only way I could switch was by using the 1-2-3 keys. Still happens.

It's super infuriating and I have no better explanation. Has anybody encountered anything like that?