Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

GD_American posted:

I've never seen a garage door of any kind use rope instead of a strap. Jury-rigged as gently caress

-rigged is a euphemism that also has a very bad history too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man, decided to watch Days of Thunder and sure didn't remember a big fat confederate flag standalone shot for a few seconds like a minute in.

It was still prominent in 1990. Keep in mind when the movie was released it was not 5 years since TV show with the flag prominently featured on the top of the car was popular.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Southern Pride and all. To be frank though its an ugly design - I dunno why it caught on.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Frond posted:

Southern Pride and all. To be frank though its an ugly design - I dunno why it caught on.

racists generally have no sense of good taste

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

AsInHowe posted:

-rigged is a euphemism that also has a very bad history too!

I know the bad version, but didnt think about it; is jury-rigged just a sanitised version?

E- whew, other way around

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GD_American posted:

I know the bad version, but didnt think about it; is jury-rigged just a sanitised version?

E- whew, other way around
Jury-rigging predates either other term and refers to temporary rigging on a ship.

Also, as a naive Midwesterner growing up, I never realized "cotton-picking" and "Sell you down river" were racist slave-owner epithets.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Frond posted:

It was still prominent in 1990. Keep in mind when the movie was released it was not 5 years since TV show with the flag prominently featured on the top of the car was popular.

Oh yeah I totally get it, was just a bit jarring of a time warp, especially with recent events.

Also that movie holds the gently caress up, and has a straight up amazing cast. One of Randy Quaid's finest performances, Robert Duvall is perfect, Michael Rooker gets to not be the bad(dest) guy for once, Cruise and Kidman are entirely likeable, John C. Reilly owns and Cary Elwes is just delicious.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cary Elwes is just delicious.

He also has one of the greatest soundbites in film history, I wish this thing would get Wilhelm-d.

https://youtu.be/JIJK0EKWkCg (skip to 1:45)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

He also has one of the greatest soundbites in film history, I wish this thing would get Wilhelm-d.

https://youtu.be/JIJK0EKWkCg (skip to 1:45)

Screaming with a Southern accent takes talent. :golfclap:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1276188964488003584?s=21

oh hey a noose

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1276190265179504641

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Do the people of Alabama know any other way to fashion a knot?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah. That's a loving noose.

Clearly not one left with actual (or at least specific) ill intent, but I can't fault the crew member who reacted how they did.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CactusWeasle posted:

Do the people of Alabama know any other way to fashion a knot?

this is all they teach in the scouts there

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/martysmithespn/status/1276194402302640129?s=21

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1276194561757503488

Back in my school days, edgy kids used to tie nooses in the drawstring curtains, like as a gag that I would rather kms than be in class.

There's no way of reading intent now, but it certainly is anomalous

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That's a goddamn loving noose

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I never once doubted it was a noose. Not once.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I never once doubted it was a noose. Not once.

can't tell you how many people are "it's just a rope bro"

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Whoa. There's five races this weekend.

Sweet.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

mischief posted:

Whoa. There's five races this weekend.

I would hope NASCAR would strive for better diversity than just having five races

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Seems to be extremely unfortunate Wallace ended up in the only garage with a noose handle, if it was truly there 8 months ago

The guy who tied it in the first place definitely knew what he was doing tho

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Not only are the odds astronomical, this was the first time the top series has ever raced at Talladega in June since the track opened in 1969

So take all that and throw in the current social climate plus the flag ban and BLM car and its no wonder it was reported. NASCAR did the right thing

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Its pretty silly that NASCAR sat on the picture for this long. Should of been released when the FBI gave their findings.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the side by side with the cut one the one on the left is obviously a picture of a noose. this picture doesn't show anything new.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

WindyMan posted:

I would hope NASCAR would strive for better diversity than just having five races

They'll be turning both ways though. Pretty progressive, really.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

mischief posted:

They'll be turning both ways though. Pretty progressive, really.

Just as long as the majority of the turns continue to lean left.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
You guys! I wanted to come back and show some support for this loving place in its hour of need. I should post more to contribute to this community.

Edit- To contribute, I really don't think NASCAR did anything wrong in this situation. I know that there has been some bullshit on Twitter, but 90% of the world doesn't pay attention to Twitter. It isn't like NASCAR waited weeks to release the picture, it's Thursday, the incident was reported on Sunday, and the investigation completed on Tuesday. What should be remembered was that NASCAR did the right thing, the 43 team did the right thing, and that we should all be happy that there isn't a wanna-be lynch mob hanging out in the garage area in secret. Personally I see this as a positive moment for NASCAR.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 26, 2020

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mike harmon racing crew chief suspended indefinitely for behavioral violations, shocking absolutely no one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

Mike harmon racing crew chief suspended indefinitely for behavioral violations, shocking absolutely no one.

DID HE DO IT

DID I CALL IT?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GD_American posted:

DID HE DO IT

DID I CALL IT?

I mean you had a 40% chance

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

big nipples big life posted:

where was mike harmon?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Trucks postponed to 9:30am EDT tomorrow, creating a first-of-its-kind NASCAR tripleheader.

Dik Hz posted:

Jury-rigging predates either other term and refers to temporary rigging on a ship.

Also, as a naive Midwesterner growing up, I never realized "cotton-picking" and "Sell you down river" were racist slave-owner epithets.

I didn't either. This conversation came up in another thread elsewhere on the forums recently but it wouldn't surprise me that, if you did enough digging, that most of the English language probably has words/phrases/sayings with hidden racist/bigoted meanings at this point. There's some suggestion "Master bedroom" is racist, though it's unconfirmed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://twitter.com/TheMikeBagley/status/1276931310213357575?s=19

Dont read the replies but uhhhh I dont think they're running today.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Run them all at the same time tomorrow. :v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mischief posted:

Run them all at the same time tomorrow. :v:

Iracing did this on a week13 fun race and it was fuckin hilarious. I think it was trucks and cup cars. Cup cars had to pit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

In today's first race, we've had two red flags in 15 laps!

Was ARCA postponed to this morning, you ask? Surpisingly, no! It's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZdQyBpo3s

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This is absurd

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Truckfucklers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

shyduck posted:

This is absurd

No lie this is exactly what iRacing is like in these things at this track, too. I thought it was just idiots online, but nope.