Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Payndz posted:

I just realised they've probably already designed their Fur10us posters already.

xXx_FastXFurious_xXx

It’s a XXX crossover and vin diesel plays both Xander cage and Dominic toretto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tars Tarkas posted:

The seats in the theaters are probably nice and clean, but it is the air in the theater especially with a bunch of rando patrons who are chowing down on dry popcorn just waiting to cough everywhere that is the big nope

as a movie theater employee, I'll set this straight: if the seats are leather, you're gonna be fine, especially immediately after reopening. Theaters are gonna have extra hands on deck to be cleaning constantly. My boss told me we'd probably have 2-3 people on theater duty (when we'd normally have 1, 2 on very busy nights) armed with lots of sanitizer, plus an extra person cleaning just the bathrooms. They're super paranoid because people (rightfully) assume that theaters are gonna be a place where people could very easily transmit. If the seats are cloth, you might not be so lucky, it's harder to clean them.

you're not wrong about the air though, that's something theaters can't really control. They'll all be forcing people to wear masks (especially after AMC tried to say they wouldn't and everyone yelled at them, and I dont' know about everyone else, but I'm gonna be a huge rear end in a top hat to anyone who thinks they can get in without a mask. There's not really a way to enforce wearing them in the theaters themselves though. I wouldn't recommend you go see movies in theaters at least through this year, possibly longer depending on how long this pandemic lasts. I'm not optimistic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would brave 3 hours in a theater to see TENET but nothing else.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can covo be spread through seat jizz

asking for a friend

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

can covo be spread through seat jizz

asking for a friend

I remember doctors saying the virus is detectable in testicle linings.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1276092843346538496?s=20

quote:

Racist anti-Semite Mel Gibson and woman-strangler Emile Hirsch star in “Force of Nature,” as Gibson’s brutal ex-cop with a dark past saves whites from a hurricane in Puerto Rico.

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1276735508954198016?s=20

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 27, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone who complains about “cancel culture” should be forced to watch all of Mel Gibson’s post arrest movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And this is how I found out that Emile Hirsch is a woman-strangler.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
This might be an unpopular opinion, but strangling women is NOT cool...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grendels Dad posted:

Warcraft had its chance, let Cavill be the Emperor or something in a Warhammer movie.

Not sure on how good Cavill would be as Karl-Franz. Then again I always preferred Karl the politician to karl the giant warrior.

Maybe Cavill as Felix in a Gotrek and Felix series?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not sure on how good Cavill would be as Karl-Franz. Then again I always preferred Karl the politician to karl the giant warrior.

I am imagining this as "what if the Witcher was Dandelion"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

He can play Sigmar in an origin story, heck his backstory has him rescuing a Dwarf king from Orcs and that could be used for a basic fantasy movie.

(Also I think they meant Cavill should play the Emperor from 40k)

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Did you guys think Margot Robbie was cool as Harley Quinn? How would you like to see that performance...on a boat!

A.V. Club posted:

THR reports today that Margot Robbie and writer Christina Hodson—who recently teamed up for Warner Bros.’ gleefully vulgar ode to egg sandwiches, Birds Of Prey—have put a new project together: A new film in the Pirates Of The Caribbean franchise.

Or, at least, in the loosely affiliated Pirates Of The Caribbean-branded, films-based-on-theme-park-rides universe, or whatever you want to call it, as THR notes that this new movie will reportedly have absolutely zero connection to any of Disney’s earlier Pirates films. Instead, it will be “a wholly original story with new characters under the Pirates moniker,” with no associations with any actors or characters who might have, you know, previously been associated with that name.

The film—also distinct, as it happens, from Chernobyl’s Craig Mazin’s own attempts to “reboot” the franchise, which is also theorized to be intended, at least in part, to de-Depp-utize the still-lucrative brand—is the second team-up between Robbie and Hodson, who also put together an initiative in 2019 to encourage studios to hire more female-identifying writers. Between the pair of them, they’ve had quite a bit of Hollywood success of late; Robbie’s coming off a year that saw her star in both Bombshell and Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood, while Hodson’s recent credits include Bumblebee and the script for the upcoming The Flash movie. And now pirates! Perfectly fun pirates, who don’t ask about the rum, and who are completely untainted by scandal and allegations, except in the fun, pirate=y sort of way.

So that’s good.

MH Knights fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 27, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

He can play Sigmar in an origin story, heck his backstory has him rescuing a Dwarf king from Orcs and that could be used for a basic fantasy movie.

(Also I think they meant Cavill should play the Emperor from 40k)

:thejoke:

WFRP owns.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

That is something that it's a little surprising doesn't already exist. The Gotrek and Felix books were really fun and lend themselves to adaptation, being mostly a fairly normal dude seeing the weirdness of the Warhammer world, which is basically lord of the rings but rewritten by a sugared up teenager.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Henry Cavill should play Commissar Gaunt or Cain in a 40k movie. Cain has a lot of personality so I think Cavill could shine and they're both giant melee fightlords and he'd get to use a chainsaw sword.

Putting him as the Emperor or a space marine or something would be a waste since they tend to skew towards bland. Emperor would just be him as Superman again but now with pauldrons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’m sure the movie about space Nazis with fans who are a decent chance of being real Nazis will do well

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I say just give a 200 million budget to “If the Emperor had a text to speech device” and let them do their thing

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Gatts posted:

I say just give a 200 million budget to “If the Emperor had a text to speech device” and let them do their thing

So long as the animation style remains the exact same, this is a perfect idea and thus GW will never do it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gatts posted:

Henry Cavill as Kitten.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MonsieurChoc posted:

Henry Cavill as Kitten.
Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagan with Tom Holland as Shimon, Cavill as Kamiya, and Emma Stone as Yoko, and Michael B. Jordan as Kitan.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If your Sherlock Holmes has human emotions instead of being a robotic automaton, he isn't public domain, according the Doyle estate:

quote:

In the latest lawsuit, the Doyle Estate alleges that the difference between the public domain stories and the copyrighted ones is emotions.

"After the stories that are now in the public domain, and before the Copyrighted Stories, the Great War happened," states the complaint. "In World War I Conan Doyle lost his eldest son, Arthur Alleyne Kingsley. Four months later he lost his brother, Brigadier-general Innes Doyle. When Conan Doyle came back to Holmes in the Copyrighted Stories between 1923 and 1927, it was no longer enough that the Holmes character was the most brilliant rational and analytical mind. Holmes needed to be human. The character needed to develop human connection and empathy."

And so Sherlock "became warmer," continues the complaint, setting up the question of whether the development of feelings is something that can be protected by copyright and whether the alleged depiction of Sherlock in Enola Holmes is somehow derivative.

This isn't the first time that the Doyle Estate has attempted to leverage the last remaining stories. In 2015, the plaintiff sued Miramax over Mr. Holmes, a suit that was later settled.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/conan-doyle-estate-sues-netflix-coming-movie-sherlock-holmes-sister-1300108

Also Doyle has no living direct descendants so these are like second cousins at best running the Doyle estate.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Whew. Good thing there's only one true Sherlock Holmes adaptation:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

My shercock Holmes xxx parody is protected

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

According to Doyle Law, Holmes can only engage in foreplay if you pay for the copyright

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Tars Tarkas posted:

If your Sherlock Holmes has human emotions instead of being a robotic automaton, he isn't public domain, according the Doyle estate:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/conan-doyle-estate-sues-netflix-coming-movie-sherlock-holmes-sister-1300108

Also Doyle has no living direct descendants so these are like second cousins at best running the Doyle estate.

That is the pettiest thing good lord

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

You all remember the 1985 movie D.A.R.Y.L., the movie about the robotic boy named D.A.R.Y.L. that my fondest memories of are having a babysitter whose brother was named Darryl so he was excited about the film and seeing an ad for it in one of the early issues of The Transformers comics. No idea if I ever saw it. Anyway, it's getting a sequel starring Tony Hale.

quote:

For comedy-leaning TBS, he's developing a sequel to 1985 sci-fi feature D.A.R.Y.L., starring Veep grad Tony Hale;

That's all we know at this point, I am assuming Hale will take over the role of the robot kid as an adult but who knows, this is TBS original movie territory!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/daryl-sequel-starring-tony-hale-tnt-tbs-development-slate-1300550

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I asked this before, but why didn't they sue the Enola Holmes book's author and publisher 14 years ago? They're clearly in it for the money.

There's also the implication that any derivative work of fiction not approved by the original creator can be released without their permission as long as you change some fundamental thing about it. Like that Nazi alt universe My Little Pony.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Cavil's got the chin to play Varian Wrynn

Despite it doing well in China they probably made a mistake filming WC1. A movie based on WC3 would have been a lot more popular.

It could have even been a nice Arthas trilogy with a movie each for WC3, FT, and WotLK.

And also Thrall.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

x1o posted:

So long as the animation style remains the exact same, this is a perfect idea and thus GW will never do it.

Honestly I am far more entertained by that whole series than if I had gotten into the actual Warhammer 40K as a serious hollywood type story. It does a better job with that universe than what mistakes I predict Hollywood production would make.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Henry Cavill as Kitten.

I am very down with this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best thing would be a Sherlock Holmes movie where the beginning is Sherlock Holmes starting his day then he goes and meets some old friend who also solves mysteries for coffee then the rest of the movie is a mystery story starring that old friend because the script was originally entirely about that unrelated character and then it just had the beginning scenes welded on.

We never see Sherlock Holmes again for the rest of the movie. Though it's heavily marketed as a Sherlock Holmes movie a new Sherlock Holmes adventure and it's even called "Sherlock Holmes: something something"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tars Tarkas posted:

You all remember the 1985 movie D.A.R.Y.L., the movie about the robotic boy named D.A.R.Y.L. that my fondest memories of are having a babysitter whose brother was named Darryl so he was excited about the film and seeing an ad for it in one of the early issues of The Transformers comics. No idea if I ever saw it. Anyway, it's getting a sequel starring Tony Hale.

That's all we know at this point, I am assuming Hale will take over the role of the robot kid as an adult but who knows, this is TBS original movie territory!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/daryl-sequel-starring-tony-hale-tnt-tbs-development-slate-1300550

That's one of the oddest properties to revive.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Probably not as much as rebranding Chuds as right wingers

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best thing would be a Sherlock Holmes movie where the beginning is Sherlock Holmes starting his day then he goes and meets some old friend who also solves mysteries for coffee then the rest of the movie is a mystery story starring that old friend because the script was originally entirely about that unrelated character and then it just had the beginning scenes welded on.

We never see Sherlock Holmes again for the rest of the movie. Though it's heavily marketed as a Sherlock Holmes movie a new Sherlock Holmes adventure and it's even called "Sherlock Holmes: something something"

And then at the end, when the old friend rushes to confront the murderer, Holmes is already there.

Heck, make it a series about London's second best detective arriving at crime scenes Holmes already puzzled out offscreen.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Backdoor Pilot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's actually about Sherlock Holmes' cat, and when they get to the scene of the crime... Macavity's not there.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's actually about Sherlock Holmes' cat, and when they get to the scene of the crime... Macavity's not there.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PJOmega posted:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jose Oquendo posted:

Workaholics had a really prominent joke about the movie in one episode, I'm not going to be surprised if this is somehow six degrees separated from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Tars Tarkas posted:

I remember exactly three things about that movie: the robot is really good at baseball, he steals an SR-71, and Dabney Coleman. And Dabney Coleman wasn't even in D.A.R.Y.L, he was in Cloak & Dagger, the movie about an Atari cartridge full of espionage material.