Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think the simplest S3 plot would be something like a Harley and Ivy road tripping across the country while they figure things out but then supervillain assassins and mercenaries start targeting them. It'd give then an excuse to visit various DCU locations in the show that they haven't been to and meet other characters who have and haven't shown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Road trip but everywhere they go they keep meeting local heros and villains and loving poo poo up

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Arcsquad12 posted:

He was absolutely right to call her out and the rapid paced nature of the show meant that her reflection on her behaviour lasted all of thirty seconds before she jumped on the Harley train, so Ivy still comes off as quite a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

If they do a season 3 I want her and KiteMan to actually talk and lay it out. I'm happy he stood up for himself and told her and Harley off but there's gotta be more than that. Dude deserves the best.

i mean he basically admits that he knew it wasn't a good idea for them to be in a relationship and that she obviously wanted something else, but he went for it anyway. if he was too afraid to confront that this whole time up until the end of last episode when his plan to get married failed again, then that's on him. ivy should have owned her feelings too, so really the conversation should be both of them acknowledging that it's no one's "fault" since it's easy to get confused about feelings and desire and poo poo. lecturing ivy on honesty and intentionally putting her down is a pretty audacious thing to do though, and all it accomplished was making ivy feel like an rear end in a top hat and giving kiteman the opportunity to act like he won. so he's kind of an rear end in a top hat

e: oh i finally got the maze/maize pun ugh

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Motherfucker posted:

yeah go deserve the best someplace else you weird clist rear end in a top hat B)

He's going to go date Bane, Bane is best.

Hey, we can all agree that Bane is a power bottom and Kiteman is a service top, right? Those are facts.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He's going to go date Bane, Bane is best.

Hey, we can all agree that Bane is a power bottom and Kiteman is a service top, right? Those are facts.

All good and true. Honestly 'Kiteman was also gay' would redeem him in my eyes because it would make his sweaty wedding fixation and general awkwardness make a lot more sense retroactively.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 28, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can be straight and be totally into planning an amazing wedding.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

You can be straight and be totally into planning an amazing wedding.

true but it would even the books somewhat if it was all one big closeted farce and everyones happier being themselves. plus like, I don't think he was so much that and more 'trying to impress my wasp rear end pos parents'

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kiteman just wants that milquetoast suburban lifestyle and also to kite stuff. He'll probably meet someone on a kite hobbyist forum or dating site and have the relationship he always wants after moving out of Gotham.

And then Harley and Ivy roll into town being pursued by Deathstroke and his teenage daughter Rose.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh season 3 could do that storyline from the Amanda Conner run where Harley takes in power girl after she loses her memory, just with Ivy along.

Benoist could voice Power Girl.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

twistedmentat posted:

Oh season 3 could do that storyline from the Amanda Conner run where Harley takes in power girl after she loses her memory, just with Ivy along.

Benoist could voice Power Girl.

I mean they could just both move to Coney Island and bam you've got tons of stories from the comics to pull from. Not many of them are that good, but this team could make it work.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

If anyone's got a DC Universe sub and wants to scratch that Harley-esque itch, you could do worse than watching Batman: Brave and the Bold, which I started watching for the first time last week. It's way more PG obviously, but they do sneak some things in like a "The Aristocrats!" joke in Se1Ep1, which I wasn't prepared for. It features a snarky, not-so-fuckin-grim-dark Batman, and our dude Kiteman has been spotted/mentioned three times so far and I'm not even done with season 1. Did not see THAT coming.

My favorite one-off joke: There's an ep where Bats gets his astral body pulled out of his physical one, and his spirit comes to chat with Green Arrow. GA's like "Bats, you'rer dead?! Who got you? [pause as he barely stifles a laugh] Please tell me it wasn't Kiteman."

Some nice Easter eggs for the comics nerds too, there's a one second nod to a famous Kirby drawing that had me all "holy crap!"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Brave and the Bold gets way better as it goes along so if you're enjoying the early stuff you've got a lot to look forward to. Their version of the Joker is probably one of my favourite ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's pretty hard to gently caress up the Joker but when it happens it happens haaaard. I really hate Brent Spiner's Young Justice Joker.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Bat-mite episodes are chock full of Easter eggs.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Birds of Prey musical number (which was banned in some countries) was amazing too.

Also the show ran at the same time as the Superdickery memes were popular and there was an entire episode devoted to the theme, culminating in almost but not quite saying the phrase "Superman is a dick"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cute Thelma and Louise joke, but I'm guessing that means the show doesn't think it's coming back for season three. Shame. Ended up actually being a good show, overall.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mentioned this in the RLM thread but it feels like most post-DCAU superhero cartoons don't have the legs to last more than a few seasons before Warner Bros shitcans them to make a new Batman cartoon.

Unless you're Teen Titans Go!, of course.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rainbow Knight posted:

i kinda don't understand what the trepidation is on a third season. Harley and Ivy doing eco-terrorism against capitalism and freeing women around the world sounds awesome imo

Hopefully the creators don't believe in the Moonlighting Curse.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rainbow Knight posted:

i kinda don't understand what the trepidation is on a third season. Harley and Ivy doing eco-terrorism against capitalism and freeing women around the world sounds awesome imo

DC Animated kinda already did that in New Frontier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq604dxCoKQ

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's pretty hard to gently caress up the Joker but when it happens it happens haaaard. I really hate Brent Spiner's Young Justice Joker.

Ooof, this. We've also binged past YJ while we have access to a DCU sub (we're couch-surfing rn at a friend's house that has it) as a refresher so we could start season 3. Much as I like Brent Spiner, his Joker is just loving awful. I don't know if it's him getting ham-strung by bad writing, or he was just phoning it in, but it was just flat and bland as a low-sodium matzoh. The bad art design doesn't do it any favors, either.

Season 3 YJ has seemed pretty drat tight, though, I've enjoyed the 4 episodes we've watched so far.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

DC Animated kinda already did that in New Frontier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq604dxCoKQ

I loved that scene when reading New Frontier the first time, and I'm soooo glad they kept it in the animated version.
It's just :discourse:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

hear me out:

Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy, Freelance Police Detectives with special guest Wonder Woman

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rainbow Knight posted:

hear me out:

Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy, Freelance Police Detectives with special guest Wonder Woman Renee Montoya

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I really hope they keep this Joker going. There actually was a comics storyline *other* than TDKR where Joker got amnesia (and started a family), but eventually exposure to the knowledge of Batman snapped him back into a psychosis.

There was also a storyline where everyone on Earth was killed *except him*, which was so jarring it turned him sane.

And...I kinda wish I could forget the exchange between "Matches Malone" and Joker in Kevin Smith's Onomatopoeia arc.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 29, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Make it both, and Wonder Woman and Renee are a thing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Motherfucker posted:

All good and true. Honestly 'Kiteman was also gay' would redeem him in my eyes because it would make his sweaty wedding fixation and general awkwardness make a lot more sense retroactively.

Kiteman being gay, yet still trying to marry a woman as quickly as possible (despite a number of huge red flags about the relationship) because that's what his horrible parents told him was the only way to be happy and he's too naive to question it would the the narrative I would find the most relatable and true to life.

Xelkelvos posted:

Kiteman just wants that milquetoast suburban lifestyle and also to kite stuff. He'll probably meet someone on a kite hobbyist forum or dating site and have the relationship he always wants after moving out of Gotham.

And then Harley and Ivy roll into town being pursued by Deathstroke and his teenage daughter Rose.

And that Kite hobbyist's name....was Bane.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's also another comedy option where he goes to Central/Keystone City to try and hit up Golden Glider without looking into her at all and just assuming she's into a neighboring interest (as opposed to ice skating or however she'd be written) and ends up meeting The Rogues and possibly pissing them (or at least Snart) off.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Make it both, and Wonder Woman and Renee are a thing.

All-Star "Sisters are doing it for themselves" crossover between Gotham City Sirens, Birds of Prey, and every other DC woman.

edit: stupid additional idea I need to workshop more removed here

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 29, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I want Jenna Duffy to be a thing if they go full Gotham City Sirens. She's one of my favorite C-Listers and she'd be a great addition to the show.

For those who don't know: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Jenna_Duffy_(New_Earth)

And while the subject is still fresh of Diana being able to be (tenderly) savage whenever she needs/wants to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s4nkPZsH_E

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 29, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Stargirl is just so really good.
I like Cindy. She knows what she wants and makes an effort to get it. Bit of a temper, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

cant cook creole bream posted:

I like Cindy. She knows what she wants and makes an effort to get it. Bit of a temper, though.

I was ready to be really annoyed about the high school content, but a combination of Cindy being furious about it and them making the content immediately relevant to the superhero stuff made it retroactively great. This is a really good show so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xelkelvos posted:

He'll probably meet someone on a kite hobbyist forum

No way, kites aren't something you can do as a hobby, they're way too complicated and take YEARS of study to figure out how to wor-and she's flying majestically through the air....

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

This week of Stargirl, Courtney gets wrecked for repeated bad decisionmaking.

cant cook creole bream posted:

You have to admire her willingness to take a stab at her problems.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Sometimes you just have to run headfirst into it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh drat, last weeks episode was bothering because I couldn't place the music from the practice scene.

It was 2 Unlimited Twilight Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecrf9uoHSTc

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Someone give it to me straight.

I liked Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn ( a lot even).

I didn't even try Swamp Thing and I thought s1 of the one with Nightwing was horrible enough not to watch s2 or remember its name.

I really don't care for the CW stuff.

Would I like Stargirl?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Stargirl is pretty much Flash/Supergirl with better cinematography. If you watched any part of either of them and didn't like them, you're not going to like Stargirl.

Do give Swamp Thing a shot because even though it had to be truncated and is likely never coming back, it's fantastic and easily the best 'serious' comic book TV show.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
"I'm not a novice anymore Pat". No Courtney, you're somehow worse.

Also Shiv is Veruca Salt's final form

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pressedbunny posted:

Do give Swamp Thing a shot because even though it had to be truncated and is likely never coming back, it's fantastic and easily the best 'serious' comic book TV show.

Strong disagree. It started hella strong with the weird body/gothic horror vibe, but spent the rest of the season meandering aimlessly around a bunch of poorly-realized, boring characters. It tries so hard to be a “serious” comic book show, but face-plants solidly into fatuousness and tedium. Pretty much the only reason I kept tuning in was because Crystal Reed is very pretty.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ok it seems like pressedbunny and Phylodox might have to work out some sort of duel to see if I watch Swampthin... Oh poo poo Phylodox won!

Thanks for the heads up pressedbunny. I was feeling like Stargirl looked a bit CWish. I will enjoy Doom Patrol S2 however!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mentioned this in the RLM thread but it feels like most post-DCAU superhero cartoons don't have the legs to last more than a few seasons before Warner Bros shitcans them to make a new Batman cartoon.

Unless you're Teen Titans Go!, of course.

Wasn't Cartoon Network running TTG! like 22 hours a day at one point? I don't even know how non-subscription cable works anymore.