Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paper Lion posted:

if someone grew up watching pride fights on the fight network and watched literally everything pride ever put out and loved it and just wants to see cool fun stuff like crocop kicking people until they die or fedor punching people until they die what should i watch. what should i do. ive tried streetbeefs and sometimes its like pride. but usually its not. please help.

i love this forum and i love all of you. even the posters i dont really love much. sometimes you guys get stinky, and are mean. but sometimes im mean too. sorry.

UFC Fight Pass has all the old Pride Events (or at least 90% of the ones that FEG still had/didn't tape over when they took the library).

For "not great, but still wacky fights" Pride lives on in the form of RIZIN which in 2019 did a great as hell gimmick of running a fundraiser to pay their fighters/staff.

You also have the B-League thread for comically lopsided KOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Paper Lion posted:

if someone grew up watching pride fights on the fight network and watched literally everything pride ever put out and loved it and just wants to see cool fun stuff like crocop kicking people until they die or fedor punching people until they die what should i watch. what should i do. ive tried streetbeefs and sometimes its like pride. but usually its not. please help.

i love this forum and i love all of you. even the posters i dont really love much. sometimes you guys get stinky, and are mean. but sometimes im mean too. sorry.

If you haven't already go through the Rizin back catalog, it's the closest Sakakibara ever got to just resurrecting Pride and its balance of really incredible elite fighters having incredible elite fights with completely insane freakshow matches like tournaments with untrained sumos and women's fights putting a 6'2" jiu-jitsu and powerlifting champion against a 50 year-old grandma.

If you fell off after Pride ended there's also a good 5-8 years of Japanese MMA's lost ages with orgs like Sengoku and Dream that tried the same thing with varying levels of success and ultimately failure.

If you have done all of this, then go to Poland's KSW, which has that same great fighter/complete insanity balance where sometimes you get Mamed Khalidov styling on people and sometimes you get Mariusz Pudzianowski riding to the ring on a tank and turning completely purple while Tim Sylvia jabs him in the face.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh wow, I haven't thought about that game in a very long time.

An updated version is on steam

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

What is your avatar from, by the way? I always meant to ask (also I wish it was bigger).

Yeah, I had been meaning to update it over the years to a gif pose of him or something. I'm definitely not doing that now until after the hand over is finalized. SamSho and Kof had always been favorites of mine.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

An updated version is on steam

The new game is some real good stuff, managed to see it played competitively at EVO last year. Was great until Infiltration, a player banned from Street Fighter due to beating his wife, was allowed to compete and win. Guy is a piece of poo poo.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 28, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I started that, and to this day, I worry that giving somebody a nickname without asking their permission first was extremely not cool.

I don't know anything about anything. But I do know that the only proper way for a nickname to be generated is by someone who does not have the person being nicknamed's permission and have it take off on its own.

e: caveat: as long as it's not actually insulting. Bonus if it's meaningless but pisses the recipient off.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 28, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know anything about anything. But I do know that the only proper way for a nickname to be generated is by someone who does not have the person being nicknamed's permission and have it take off on its own.

e: caveat: as long as it's not actually insulting. Bonus if it's meaningless but pisses the recipient off.

This is true. A nickname must be given. Otherwise you're just a loser giving yourself a nickname. It must be something one guy starts, you get kind of annoyed by, and the next thing you know everyone is calling you it. That's the natural way.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

This is true. A nickname must be given. Otherwise you're just a loser giving yourself a nickname.

*looks over at her #1 Scoopsgal mug*

*sheds a single tear*

:smith:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shortening people's names has been a thing forever

CJ2, MRT, Cav, etc

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Orange Carlisle posted:

CJ2, MRT, Cav, etc

agreed, forums poster The O.C.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

This is true. A nickname must be given. Otherwise you're just a loser giving yourself a nickname. It must be something one guy starts, you get kind of annoyed by, and the next thing you know everyone is calling you it. That's the natural way.

I sure could go for a T-BONE steak for lunch!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

NienNoob

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Orange Carlisle posted:

CJ2, MRT, Cav, etc

they just can't stop calling me Big Al

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you mustn't call me the name of the poster 'Cav', lest something terrible happen to one of us that was meant for the other. this is also why 'cavy' or 'cavvy' are sub-optimal. my nickname is called cavauro johnson of the second old guard, or CJ2 OG for short

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

CarlCX posted:

If you haven't already go through the Rizin back catalog, it's the closest Sakakibara ever got to just resurrecting Pride and its balance of really incredible elite fighters having incredible elite fights with completely insane freakshow matches like tournaments with untrained sumos and women's fights putting a 6'2" jiu-jitsu and powerlifting champion against a 50 year-old grandma.

If you fell off after Pride ended there's also a good 5-8 years of Japanese MMA's lost ages with orgs like Sengoku and Dream that tried the same thing with varying levels of success and ultimately failure.

If you have done all of this, then go to Poland's KSW, which has that same great fighter/complete insanity balance where sometimes you get Mamed Khalidov styling on people and sometimes you get Mariusz Pudzianowski riding to the ring on a tank and turning completely purple while Tim Sylvia jabs him in the face.

South Korea's Road FC is also a good source of openweight freak show fights.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rarity posted:

*sheds a single tear*

Technically weren't you dunking on a lovely scoopser we won't name and then other people actually picked it up and used it as a nickname to further dunk on said lovely scoopser?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spiderdrake posted:

Technically weren't you dunking on a lovely scoopser we won't name and then other people actually picked it up and used it as a nickname to further dunk on said lovely scoopser?

This story makes me sound better so I'm gonna say yes

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Rarity posted:

new avatar rules btw

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Abysmal posted:

South Korea's Road FC is also a good source of openweight freak show fights.

Having been to their live shows, yeah it is. They have the matches on YouTube.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rarity posted:

*sheds a single tear*

that's more of a title than a nickname

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Cavauro posted:

you mustn't call me the name of the poster 'Cav', lest something terrible happen to one of us that was meant for the other. this is also why 'cavy' or 'cavvy' are sub-optimal. my nickname is called cavauro johnson of the second old guard, or CJ2 OG for short

I’m gonna stick with Big Cav Cool

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

psshaw... you will always be the #1 Scoopsgal of PSP hearts. Also you also love Finn as much as I so I can never hate you. Ohhhh Finn.<sigh>

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DogsInSpace! posted:

psshaw... you will always be the #1 Scoopsgal of PSP hearts

And don't you ever forget it :hai:

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

just wanna say you guys have gotten me through some hard times with your laughs and insights, and I’ll miss you if SA dies

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem :(

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lmao what the gently caress

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I looked up Goldbelly, it's just regional foods shipped at high prices

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can't believe J-Ru is loving dead

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

CarlCX posted:

where does Ganryu-Jima MOATFIGHTS fit into all this

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

drew salem was my brother. my best brother

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

where does Ganryu-Jima MOATFIGHTS fit into all this

I feel like Ganryujima is more fine art than fighting

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I clearly took completely the wrong lesson from,"The only winning move is not to play" :doh:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

CarlCX posted:

I feel like Ganryujima is more fine art than fighting

it's so, so very wedded to traditional Japanese aesthetics that honestly make me support that argument

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bah gawd the humanity :smith:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerusalem posted:

I clearly took completely the wrong lesson from,"The only winning move is not to play" :doh:

Goodnight JERUSAMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Booking the promotion right into the ground.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

congrats to the two mma mods or iks or whatever i hope they can manage the 2 threads, it's gonna take a lot of effort :razzy: Hey only joking

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yea ok posted:

congrats to the two mma mods or iks or whatever i hope they can manage the 2 threads, it's gonna take a lot of effort :razzy: Hey only joking

Can I comedy probate this guy with a gif of tito asking babalu about what happened in his fight

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

when i go to sleep if you want (2 hours from now)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yes, a big thanks to Mekchu and Brut who have agreed to be IKs and keep an eye on the MMA/Combat Sport threads, they're both good people and very active on that side of FIGHT ISLAND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Mekchu please do me the honor of being your first 6er