Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cattail Prophet posted:

Tweeting #wind does nothing, your wind job is the one you got from your original #reg tweet.

Oh okay, thanks. Do reg tweets take longer for the bot to respond, because it's been replying in a minute or so to the valid #commands I sent, but it's been a few minutes after I just tweeted #reg.

edit: I see, I screwed it up with the purechaos command. So since it gave me chemist, do I have to keep all my dudes as freelancers until earth crystal? Is there a way to reset it?

edit2: I donated for a wind reroll, hopefully I didn't screw this up.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Relin posted:

sorry, what do you mean take over?

When you #regadvance, all the jobs get shuffled around so that the normal jobs are all in wind through fire (I forget the exact distribution) and then Earth gets the three GBA jobs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If you are doing things 'normally', you're supposed to have everyone as freelancers until you get a class you can use, yes.

But some people use a mod that unlocks all jobs so you can get that sweet sweet chemist action from day one.

gently caress yeah chemist before you can get turtle shells. That's the poo poo.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Anyone else download this from the Steam Store? We're having a really hard time with the interface, the controls map seems to be missing some things.

The big thing right now is we can't figure out how to access the "sell" command in stores. I think we've tried every button on the keyboard, but it still hovers over "Buy." Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: "Delete" then "Right" did it, whew! We rolled monk and had all this useless weaPONRY.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Drunk Nerds, you can use the website if you're having trouble with all the millions of twitter commands and it just kind of figures it out for you (the only tricky bit is the victory submissions)

http://fourjobfiesta.com/mypage.php

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hellioning posted:

gently caress yeah chemist before you can get turtle shells. That's the poo poo.

Mix before the special ingredients is limited, but it's not Bard without songs or harps limited.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Chemist for the Wind job is Very Good, you can use daggers, the Flail, and the Healing Staff, plus potions heal for double. Then after Walse you get access to Turtle Shells :getin:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Man with Hat posted:

Drunk Nerds, you can use the website if you're having trouble with all the millions of twitter commands and it just kind of figures it out for you (the only tricky bit is the victory submissions)

http://fourjobfiesta.com/mypage.php

Thanks, that's been making things easier. I didn't have time to wait on a wind reroll, seven year old kids really wanted to start playing.

So I rolled a die and it landed on monk, I'll just throw the $ in for a monk re-roll, it's all for charity anyway. I kinda remember early chemist being fun, but it might be hard for my kids to keep up (as opposed to "we're all monks, take off your shirts and karate chop stuff!)

Edit: Are any of the additional donation Toxx's still in play, or did we miss out. Would be interested in going for Osci's 4-bard one.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 27, 2020

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So, when the water crystal shattered, one of the shards went up to the right where we couldn't get to it. Now we don't have mage.

Is this a known issue? Part of the game I don't remember? I'm pretty good at finding routes in 16 bit FF games.

We rolled red mage so it doesn't really matter, but it seems a weird bug.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Drunk Nerds posted:

So, when the water crystal shattered, one of the shards went up to the right where we couldn't get to it. Now we don't have mage.

Is this a known issue? Part of the game I don't remember? I'm pretty good at finding routes in 16 bit FF games.

Part of the game you don't remember; you can't get it yet.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's cool, this one's intentional. It's an optional job you can get as a sidequest much closer to endgame.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

Pure chaos can give you any job in any order, except GBA jobs. If you can't unlock the job yet, you substitute Freelancer for it until you can. So before you job faired away your Chemist for Monk (a phrase I'm not sure I expected to ever write), you would've been:

Freelancer-as-substitute-Chemist until water crystal
Freelancer(Chemist) + Red Mage until fire crystal
Freelancer(Chemist) + Red Mage + [fire job] until earth crystal
Chemist + Red Mage + [fire job] + [earth job] for the rest of the game

If [fire job] is something that comes from the earth crystal (Chemist, Dragoon, Dancer, Samurai), then that will be a substitute Freelancer until earth crystal as well.

And for completeness's sake, if [fire job] or [earth job] gives you the job from that one water crystal shard you can't get yet, that's also a Freelancer for most of the game, until you're finally late enough to get that job.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
cThanks!

I rolled my own die for the first two jobs, I'll just keep trying gilgabot, and if it doesn't give me a role corresponding to the current crystal, I'll just pay a few bucks and get whatever job I rolled. Shows my kids that it's fun to mess up and try to fix it by throwing a few more bucks in for charity.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So, I've never played FFV before, but I am totally down to try this.

What run type would people recommend for me so I can tweet Gilgabot?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Always #purechaos

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I signed up for a PureChaos run and got Samurai as my first job.

So, let's see how this goes.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I finished my run! My first time playing the game, and I had a lot of fun. I should have been doing this years ago.

I had Blue Mage/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon, and honestly I was really surprised at how easy it was. It's funny that on my first time playing the game I got a bunch of the most complicated classes, but well, they're also super busted so it worked out. Walk through W1 killing every boss with Death Claw, walk through W2 using White Wind to become immortal and making Exdeath old, walk through W3 being double immortal with Mighty Guard. Great with Summoner too, because White Wind heals through Reflect. Golem is the best. Beastmaster was also cool even though I didn't really need to make all that much use of it. Special thanks to Yellow Dragon for smashing Exdeath's face in and to Mammon for your services against Shinryu. And Dragoon, well, was a blue mage with heavy armor and high HP.

Beastmaster made the triple crown straightforward too. I actually chose not to cheese Omega with Calm for funsies, and let me tell you: That Omega guy is a big jerk. Without !Calm, my best option was to lean heavily on White Wind and slowly chip the guy down 1000 damage at a time. I had Odin, too, but even he only did something like 1100 damage. At least I could play around Encircle by attacking only immediately after Search got reflected. Comparatively, Shinryu was easy (because I cheesed them with Beastmaster...) and Ned just got stalled indefinitely by Mighty Guard.

Good times!

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
With the Fiesta Mod you can use all the jobs from the beginning, which I think makes Pure Chaos so much more enjoyable than being stuck with a bunch of freelancers.

I'm doing my usual vanilla run before going into Pure Chaos funtown, and Black Mage/Berserker/Bard/Dancer is a team that can feasibly triple crown without too much trouble, right? I know Romeo's Ballad works on Omega, but I've never tried going for it before.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

With the Fiesta Mod you can use all the jobs from the beginning, which I think makes Pure Chaos so much more enjoyable than being stuck with a bunch of freelancers.

I'm doing my usual vanilla run before going into Pure Chaos funtown, and Black Mage/Berserker/Bard/Dancer is a team that can feasibly triple crown without too much trouble, right? I know Romeo's Ballad works on Omega, but I've never tried going for it before.

Bard can get them both for free. You can stunlock Omega with three bards doing Romeo's. Set the fourth on speed song and you'll eventually be able to stunlock omega with a single bard. Let one person have a reflect ring and !black to reflect thundagas back at omega.

For Shinryu you can give everyone reflect rings, have something zombify one character. Go into the Shinryu fight and use !hide with the others and you'll win after five or so hours of doing nothing! Or use the wonder wand to berserk the boss and it will take much much much less time. (do the second thing, the zombie method is cool that it works but it sucks to do)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Man with Hat posted:

Bard can get them both for free. You can stunlock Omega with three bards doing Romeo's. Set the fourth on speed song and you'll eventually be able to stunlock omega with a single bard. Let one person have a reflect ring and !black to reflect thundagas back at omega.

For Shinryu you can give everyone reflect rings, have something zombify one character. Go into the Shinryu fight and use !hide with the others and you'll win after five or so hours of doing nothing! Or use the wonder wand to berserk the boss and it will take much much much less time. (do the second thing, the zombie method is cool that it works but it sucks to do)

The Omega fight goes more quickly if you have Reflect Rings on everyone. 4x reflected Thundaga does twice the damage of a single target cast.

For Shinryu, a Bard has access to Apollo's Harp, which does 8x damage against dragons. That can end up being pretty obscene if your party is decently leveled.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Decided what the heck, I'll do two runs this year and regged pure chaos.

Got Mystic/Time/Blue/White.

Maybe I'll do 3 runs...

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

The Omega fight goes more quickly if you have Reflect Rings on everyone. 4x reflected Thundaga does twice the damage of a single target cast.

You need Hermes Sandals on your three Romeo singers to keep Omega locked down before Swift Song gets going.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Where can I get Fiesta Mod (for PC)? Since Samurai isn't available at the start?

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

of mankind

ModeSix posted:

Where can I get Fiesta Mod (for PC)? Since Samurai isn't available at the start?
I think it's only possible if you're emulating the GBA version, but if you are:
The mod from the OP: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldlmpoepxk5nxgl/fiesta.ups?dl=0
Patch your rom with this: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/519/

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

of mankind

Man with Hat posted:

Sorry for the doublepost, but is the stunlock strat for Omega viable with only three !sing users? I've got a serker that I'm guessing I'm gonna have to murder before trying it.
I've got both sandals and reflect rings available.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

And in celebration of my first win:

:toxx:

Oh no!

Namek is exploding in 10 hours!

That's right. If you don't collect the seven Dragon Balls and summon Shenron, the planet is doomed.

I'll be donating $10 for each run that defeats Shinryu within 10 hours. In other words, you need to have the Dragon Seal in your inventory before the 10 hour mark passes. Please provide a screenshot of the in-game clock as well as one of the Dragon Seal (or a Shinryu death shot). I'll donate for up to 20 runs here. Of course, it only counts if you started the run after I made this post.

Plus, I'll donate an additional $50 for the first two players who manage to beat Shinryu within 8 hours.

In addition to the Fiesta, I'll also be donating the same amount to the Institute for Community Living, a charity that helps out people in New York City who are homeless. It's a two-for-one deal!

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Sorry for the doublepost, but is the stunlock strat for Omega viable with only three !sing users? I've got a serker that I'm guessing I'm gonna have to murder before trying it.
I've got both sandals and reflect rings available.

Ive done it with two romeo singers and one swift song singers. As long as you time it right you should be ok. Possibly even with the berserker alive.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Run 2: Time Mage / Dancer / Freelancer / Ninja

Pretty solid group. Offense was not an issue, and for the most part defense wasn't an issue since everything died quickly. Omega was a Quickleak, Shinryu was a Zerk/!Image spam. NED was tricky, after Magic Lamp I had to Quickleak Almagest since my Sword Dances wouldn't proc, and after I accidentally killed Grand Cross part, physical nearly wiped my time, though it left my Time Mage alive and I was able to Quickleak it to death. So a sloppy NED fight, but otherwise a pretty easy team.

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

Another pretty easy one. It was nice to get Meteo just to see the swingy damage numbers all the time. I just used Chemist to triple crown. Had fun making the monk level 255 a few times so he did 8000 damage per attack command. Just 2 more runs for All Jobs Toxx. My new run is Knight, Thief, Bard, Samurai, so that's sort of middle tier. I had two chemist runs in a row so, I'm spoiled.

apophenium posted:

I'll donate $2 for every victory with Bartz named ACAB, BLM, George, or any related name, up to $100. Let's have fun and help people!

Kyrosiris posted:

Additionally, I will also donate $1 per relevant name that completes a run, per apophenium's toxx, up to a maximum of $50.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Every year I see this, and every year I think "maybe I should play FFV normally first". And then I never do.

I think I wanna just bite the bullet and do it. This wouldn't even just be a first play for me, either. I'd be going in completely blind.

TheWonderTrickster
Aug 16, 2013
Well after way too many days of shitposting on the Discord on Toxx ideas I finally figured out one to commit onto here:
(I watched a lot of Kamen Rider while doing my runs and especially when grinding for the Eight Ragnaroks and Surgical Kill :toxx:)

Rider Kick :toxx:
In any team running a Monk or Dragoon:

$1 for every boss that was attacked by !Kick or !Jump and their subsequent dramatic death animation (You don't need to actually kill them with !Kick or !Jump, the magic of imagination of two pictures is enough):

Byblos
Sol Cannon (Technically it explodes for its death animation and yet that'd be the most accurate kind of death I'd want from a Rider Kick :v:)
Archeoaevis (No Level 5 Death here)
Atomos
MeatDeath
Calofisteri
Omega
Apanda
Azulmagia
Catastrophe
Halicarnassus
Twintania (Can only bully him with everything but Death/Stone)
Necrophobe when Gilgamesh shows up (I would technically like a screencap of the explosion Greg does on Necrophobe before death but that's up to you)
NED

As much as I would like seeing at least one of each boss getting Rider Kicked, I'll only accept 3 claims per boss and $30 total.

Now a slightly crazier :toxx: separate from those:
$20 for video evidence of killing every part of NED at once with !Kick. I'll also accept the inconvenience effort to get a pic for every part scanned to have less hp than a kick that hits all of them and NED's death.

TheWonderTrickster fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 9, 2020

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

PMush Perfect posted:

Every year I see this, and every year I think "maybe I should play FFV normally first". And then I never do.

I think I wanna just bite the bullet and do it. This wouldn't even just be a first play for me, either. I'd be going in completely blind.

First time I ever played FFV it was a fiesta run and going in completely blind as well. It's probably an easier way to get through the game the first time to be honest, with all jobs there are too many drat choices.

I'd recommend starting off with a normal #register or a #regrandom the first time.

This thread and the discord are also seriously probably the best sources for answering any question about the fiesta on the internet if you hit some sort of wall.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

That's what I just did. There's a lot of energy both here and in this Discord; I highly recommend it for a first play. It makes the game fun to have the wisdom of the ages (?) on your side.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

PMush Perfect posted:

Seconding that I played the game blind because another Goon tied a donation to me completing a Fiesta.

Like was said above, I'm the type of goofball that can get caught up grinding all the levels and sidequests and then burn out and not even complete the game, so focusing on just a handful of jobs was a great first trip through for me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Play the Fiesta first. Going through the game with no restrictions is actually the hard mode.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Protection from analysis paralysis WILL be nice...

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

PMush Perfect posted:

Hey, if I can beat OoT though Randomizer for the first time, you can beat FFV through Fiesta for the first time.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

PMush Perfect posted:

I had a guide open for the fiesta run and I've played through ff5 maybe 5 or 6 times since the psx release. The fiesta run gave me powers and awareness over the game I never thought possible.

Point being the fiesta is a crazy experience if it's your first or 12th run and you should do it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arzaac posted:

Hey, if I can beat OoT though Randomizer for the first time, you can beat FFV through Fiesta for the first time.
I'm sorry, you what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm sorry, you what?

Yeah! It's not one of my best ideas but it worked out okay. I had played through the kid sections before so that wasn't too bad, but after that the only dungeon I really remembered in any capacity was Forest. (And even then I didn't really remember it that well.)