Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
please tell me that each function at least has an internal id that excel justs swaps for the correct name in the language set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Yes you can open a spreadsheet from any language and it'll show function names in your language.

I wanna say that older versions had trouble with this, but that was probably in the 00s.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

Excel must be the apex of unmaintainability. I have some experience untangling legacy systems with tons of moving parts, but none came close to even moderately complex spreadsheets.

Did you know that MS translates Excel function names in other languages?

YES!!!! And it's absolutely impossible to tell Excel that you want to use English formulas if your organization bought a different language version, which makes it a nightmare if your company is multi-national.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

please tell me that each function at least has an internal id that excel justs swaps for the correct name in the language set

I mean they do have unified names if you are writing macros... but Excel won't allow you to use those if you are just using the regular GUI.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Antigravitas posted:

Excel must be the apex of unmaintainability. I have some experience untangling legacy systems with tons of moving parts, but none came close to even moderately complex spreadsheets.

You haven't lived until you've had to reverse engineer Perl scripts written in the 90s. :colbert:

But yeah I definitely share your Dim view of excel macros :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sardonik posted:

You haven't lived until you've had to reverse engineer Perl scripts written in the 90s. :colbert:

You haven’t lived until you’ve written Perl scripts in the 90s. :corsair:

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Subjunctive posted:

Especially when those perl scripts are still holding together major infrastructure like so much gum and duct tape.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Do you think it's too late now?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Bloop posted:

Do you think it's too late now?

No, writing perl4 is always effectively writing in the 90s. Fill your boots.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Not like I know for a fact a major bank tens of millions customers still has Cobol on a mainframe running underneath its online banking front end

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“a”

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Well I only know for a fact that one. I firmly believe the rest too

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cobol intention: a simple programming space with English inspired syntax that could be audited by bureaucrats and accountants doing functional validation

Cobol reality: to avoid a half page of plodding conditional statements a twist in the syntax is used to condense it to two lines. The last guy who understood why it works retired in 1979 and nobody can really tie it to any known specification but if you comment it out the loan officers terminal starts converting everything to East German Marks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

On the flip side, if you happened to code the thing, or even to understand half of it, you are basically set for life, with presumably fun salary negotiations. I worked somewhere where only the top brass and the cobol guy got to have private offices, while everyone else were in open spaces, for some reason.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BonHair posted:

On the flip side, if you happened to code the thing, or even to understand half of it, you are basically set for life, with presumably fun salary negotiations. I worked somewhere where only the top brass and the cobol guy got to have private offices, while everyone else were in open spaces, for some reason.
Its really for every one else's protection because a cobol programmer can't be trusted to mentor the new computer janitors on commenting code and code portability.

:vince:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Beautiful!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ikanreed posted:

Not like I know for a fact a major bank tens of millions customers still has Cobol on a mainframe running underneath its online banking front end

Cobol, that's common as dirt. My own job involves maintaining a legacy system in a rather more obscure language, but even that is actually still supported.

I know there are other programmers whose jobs are about tending legacy systems that won't run on any hardware that exists these days, so most of the actual work is in writing and maintaining emulation software for long-dead platforms.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
What's that other line going near straight up? Brazil or India?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, Brazil

http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hate that it doesn't include new cases per mil. population.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Couple more graphs down that page

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Oh, nice. It didn't load properly on my phone on the first try.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Memento posted:

Couple more graphs down that page

Chile, please advise

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Chile, please advise

It's a per 1m people chart and Chile's population is relatively small (17 mil vs. Brazil's 210 mil) so if they got hit particularly hard they'd spike high pretty quickly just because each individual infection represents a larger proportion of their population.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's a per 1m people chart and Chile's population is relatively small (17 mil vs. Brazil's 210 mil) so if they got hit particularly hard they'd spike high pretty quickly just because each individual infection represents a larger proportion of their population.

Oh I know, the chart is very funny since it spikes hard and dips just as drastically, obviously the function of a small subpopulation getting infected and recovering

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Now add San Marino and watch it bounce like crazy as like 5 people get infected and recover.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AnoHito posted:

Now add San Marino and watch it bounce like crazy as like 5 people get infected and recover.

Did anyone in Vatican city get it? Seems probable given how much it spread in Italy. That'd be a hell of a chart.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Did anyone in Vatican city get it? Seems probable given how much it spread in Italy. That'd be a hell of a chart.

According to one source, Vatican City's 12 cases give it the 4th-highest per capita infection rate in the world, after Qatar, San Marino, and Bahrain.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

vyelkin posted:

According to one source, Vatican City's 12 cases give it the 4th-highest per capita infection rate in the world, after Qatar, San Marino, and Bahrain.

It's too bad Vatican City isn't included in various OECD stats just for the fun outliers. Like what's the average age of its citizens?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

From work, this came down from management last week.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
They forgot the blockchain.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's too bad Vatican City isn't included in various OECD stats just for the fun outliers. Like what's the average age of its citizens?

The funniest is always number of popes per square mile.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
sorry if this was posted before

e: the "fly knife" is one of those thingies anime ninjas are always throwing at eachother instead of shurikens

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Its a kunai you insufferable normie

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Local news is pretty low-hanging fruit, I know.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It could be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXuc7SAyk2s

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Phy posted:

sorry if this was posted before

e: the "fly knife" is one of those thingies anime ninjas are always throwing at eachother instead of shurikens

When I GIS for "fly knife -butter -butterfly", I do not get anything that looks like a kunai.

redknob
Aug 29, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

When I GIS for "fly knife -butter -butterfly", I do not get anything that looks like a kunai.

"flying knife" perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Memento posted:

Local news is pretty low-hanging fruit, I know.

How does this even happen though? It's not like anyone is pushing an agenda here, and pretty much any software that generates a chart also automatically handles labelling.

e: Actually that looks sloppy all over the place, like someone put together some shapes and text boxes in powerpoint.