Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Beamed posted:

Adding tracking the last 12 months of income for each country would definitely not help the performance. This is the price we must pay for someone doing this strat in MP.

ehh it's 40kb of data total. it's a pretty good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

cool av posted:

ehh it's 40kb of data total. it's a pretty good idea

yeah after thinking about this if they just properly track the income attribute it ain't that bad, forget what i said

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE BAR posted:

It does! But you can do wonders with a good navy and the people I mentioned as potential allies. The Ottomans aren't that hot this patch.

E:

When I did what I told the other guy to do a few weeks ago, I had to retry the start a million times to get it just right, but it is doable once the stars align. You can buy some more time by just taking the provinces for yourself, except for Constantinople, but I can guarantee you that being greedy sometimes work.

Interesting! I've been trying to do a successful Jerusalem run and starting over and over again was a bit frustrating.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mans posted:

Interesting! I've been trying to do a successful Jerusalem run and starting over and over again was a bit frustrating.

Europa Universalis IV: Starting over and over again was a bit frustrating

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really want to play a relaxing colonial game as england but goddamn this start is mega poo poo, I would gladly trade every single continental holding I have to france if I could just skip over the surrender of Main and War of the Roses and get to the part of the game where I stop caring about continental Europe and start loving around in India and Southeast Asia

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

just return province if you hate having them that much

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnEdgelord posted:

I really want to play a relaxing colonial game as england but goddamn this start is mega poo poo, I would gladly trade every single continental holding I have to france if I could just skip over the surrender of Main and War of the Roses and get to the part of the game where I stop caring about continental Europe and start loving around in India and Southeast Asia
You do realize that you can probably give the vast majority of that land away, right?

edit: I would check if it did not mean that I would need to restart the loving game, twice, just to start a new game as England then load back into my current game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Unrelated, I have a Pegu run off the ground to go for the Sailor Mon achievement, which is going to take.... quite a while and a lot of land. I just conquered a muslim province and I am seriously considering doing some of the old cheese that I saw people talk about for switching their religion via triggering religious rebels to rebel and convert a bunch of land.

Having never done that before, can anyone tell me if those kinds of shenanigans still work in the current version of the game, and if so, anything specific I would need to know to make sure I dont screw it up? Like... I should be at war when I do it so they cant enforce their demands, right?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Mans posted:

I haven't done a Jerusalem run in the current patch but I did one as Cyprus in the last stable patch and it was actually pretty easy; you just need to get the Ottomans to support your independence before the Mamluks annex you (after vassaling you by event), then you can get the Ottomans to back you in like two or three subsequent wars before they get pissed off at you and leave. Hopefully by then there's a strong enough Russia or Poland or Spain to ally you and encourage the Ottos to look elsewhere for expansion.

The bigger issue is that the Jerusalem area is pretty terrible land.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Unrelated, I have a Pegu run off the ground to go for the Sailor Mon achievement, which is going to take.... quite a while and a lot of land. I just conquered a muslim province and I am seriously considering doing some of the old cheese that I saw people talk about for switching their religion via triggering religious rebels to rebel and convert a bunch of land.

Having never done that before, can anyone tell me if those kinds of shenanigans still work in the current version of the game, and if so, anything specific I would need to know to make sure I dont screw it up? Like... I should be at war when I do it so they cant enforce their demands, right?

I've just done it for Ottomans to Coptic, you probably want them to enforce to actually trigger the religion flip, but they probably need to hold your captial for that. So if you can herd them around, keep them off that and get them to do as much else first, cleaning up behind them. Once they enforce they'll dump 20% autonomy on all provinces they still hold, so you want to clean up as much as you can without them turning around to recap land that's already converted.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Unrelated, I have a Pegu run off the ground to go for the Sailor Mon achievement, which is going to take.... quite a while and a lot of land.

I strongly recommend taking Humanist Ideas for Sailor Mon, dealing with rebels all over your island empire loving SUCKS

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Moonwolf posted:

I've just done it for Ottomans to Coptic, you probably want them to enforce to actually trigger the religion flip, but they probably need to hold your captial for that. So if you can herd them around, keep them off that and get them to do as much else first, cleaning up behind them. Once they enforce they'll dump 20% autonomy on all provinces they still hold, so you want to clean up as much as you can without them turning around to recap land that's already converted.
Awesome, good point about not being at war - thank you!

Wafflecopper posted:

I strongly recommend taking Humanist Ideas for Sailor Mon, dealing with rebels all over your island empire loving SUCKS
Oh lord, yeah, doing that next! Humanist + having the Dhimmi estate should nip that in the bud. Especially because I'll probably be taking Offense eventually and it plus Humanist equals a policy that gives another -5 years of separatism and -1 unrest.

I kinda regret going Exploration because its not going to help me that much I dont think and I need to get Maritime and Naval eventually, preferably sooner rather than later.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Taking the 2nd colonist out of exploration has made me really hate it. I think I may just go Expansion only unless I'm in Iberia, and rely on normal spread and the policy that reveals adjacent provs to deal with the terra incognito.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Devs said they want Revolution to be more interesting. So it does not just feel very gamey with crippling yourself for later bonuses. But I don't see it. I'm successful France. Revolution triggers in... Brazil. Wiki is still outdated and says Revolution can only happen in Europe. Seems I'm not seeing French Revolution this playthrough. Also I didn't even see French Revolution in the list of possible disasters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

yikes! posted:

Taking the 2nd colonist out of exploration has made me really hate it. I think I may just go Expansion only unless I'm in Iberia, and rely on normal spread and the policy that reveals adjacent provs to deal with the terra incognito.

Take exploration, explore everything you want, and then replace it with expansion.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Speaking of the Revolution, there seems to be some kind of issue with Administrative Efficiency if you actually do go revolutionary. Before all that happened, my Admin Efficiency was ~50 or so, thanks to absolutism and tech -- I could conquer 200 dev or so at once without breaking 100% overextension. Since then, even with my Admin Efficiency up to 60 now thanks to the third tech and maxed Revolutionary Zeal, I'm choking on provinces. Before the Revolution I took everything from Ragusa to Constantinople in one war, that was like 120% overextension. However many years later,I just took the rest of anatolia (and I checked, about equivalent dev) and suddenly I'm choking on 300% overextension. What gives?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

You do realize that you can probably give the vast majority of that land away, right?

edit: I would check if it did not mean that I would need to restart the loving game, twice, just to start a new game as England then load back into my current game.

Day 1, sell Maine to Provence, release Normandy and Gascony, give Alençon to Normandy, scutage them. Sell Calais to Burgundy if you want. Punch Scotland on December 11.

One of your starter missions gives you a vassal CB on Scotland if you have max force limit troops and like 70% of your total manpower. So also day 1, raise a merc company to hit force limit, and exploit your manpower development to get MP and lower your total until you can click the mission. Boom, use that CB as soon as you're allowed to declare war and stomp them while France can't touch you. You've got a long truce with France, Scotland vassalized, and also some dipshit like Burgundy or Aragon will probably also attack France and murder-suicide because of the long war as you sit on Scotland and kill their navy. Then you can get rid of the continental vassals at leisure, or just keep them because France will be strangled in the crib. You can honestly probably just force the PU on them at that point and colonize while your big blue attack dog handles any continental fights.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 30, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Day 1, sell Maine to Provence, release Normandy and Gascony, give Alençon to Normandy, scutage them. Sell Calais to Burgundy if you want. Punch Scotland on December 11.

One of your starter missions gives you a vassal CB on Scotland if you have max force limit troops and like 70% of your total manpower. So also day 1, raise a merc company to hit force limit, and exploit your manpower development to get MP and lower your total until you can click the mission. Boom, use that CB as soon as you're allowed to declare war and stomp them while France can't touch you. You've got a long truce with France, Scotland vassalized, and also some dipshit like Burgundy or Aragon will probably also attack France and murder-suicide because of the long war as you sit on Scotland and kill their navy. Then you can get rid of the continental vassals at leisure, or just keep them because France will be strangled in the crib. You can honestly probably just force the PU on them at that point and colonize while your big blue attack dog handles any continental fights.

oooooh I want to do this

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Unless they have changed it in the new patch, the event for the Surrender of Maine only fires if Maine is owned by England. Not a vassal of England. So you don't have to sell it, just give it to Normandy.

Then proceed as above, fight France when you choose and force a union on them, etc.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Take exploration, explore everything you want, and then replace it with expansion.
I took it with my second idea set in this Sailor Mon run and it let me get claims on people on Sumatra and now in Madagascar but I should have kept this in mind and not taken the whole idea set. Oh well, at least it has some decent policies that will synergize with other idea sets I'll be taking.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Groke posted:

Unless they have changed it in the new patch, the event for the Surrender of Maine only fires if Maine is owned by England. Not a vassal of England. So you don't have to sell it, just give it to Normandy.

Then proceed as above, fight France when you choose and force a union on them, etc.

They've changed so it still fires if a vassal owns it, Ive have it happen to me twice now

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

AnEdgelord posted:

They've changed so it still fires if a vassal owns it, Ive have it happen to me twice now

Good to know, it was a really silly loophole anyway.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

yikes! posted:

Yeah, it's really awkward for a lot of nations. Especially Ethiopia: because you need Exploration to be able to discover Cape and the Malaysian and Indonesian islands to colonize them, but having a single colonist sucks and you're really pressed for idea slots early(your economy either sucks poo poo or is in a permanent inflationary spiral, you're constantly short on manpower, you need lots of quality soldiers because Ottomans, you have wrong religion provinces everywhere, etc. etc.), but later on, the Euros(or worse) will have taken all the good stuff and Expansion becomes useless.
I love playing Ethiopia, can you tell?
I mean, they absolutely needed to nerf Exploration, because old Exploration was broken good and pretty much a no-brainer in most cases(and Expansion was terrible). But I don't think it's exactly in a good place yet, especially with the ever-increasing quantity of provinces.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
In my succesful Prester John run I had no colonists. I was tempted to take expansion to make way to central Africa, but instead focused on whittling down my neighbours. This game was also the first time I got 99% warscore against the Ottomans. Erogenous, really.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

That's a good point! I forgot I could abandon idea groups.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

jettisoning exploration into the sun is when a campaign really begins

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That feeling when you fight a hellwar as Pegu in the 1550s to fight through hundreds of thousands of Ming troops to occupy a province that borders them to take it in a peace deal, only to find out that my Muslim Pegu bordering Ming doesnt cause Ming to lose Mandate :suicide:

p.s. I successfully flipped to Sunni as Pegu and its awesome! No more lame advisors resigning because my Buddhist religion bar was all the way at the bottom forever. Now with high legalism, high Dhimmi loyalty, Aristocratic ideas, and a Pegu national idea I pay 40% less for Military techs!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 1, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just reaching the 1600 in a Pirate Republic game as Madyas (Philippines nation). All of SEA belongs either to me or one of my five vassals. Just exploded Ming. This feels very, very good. I'm just one or two techs behind europeans despite the MP dumping every 50 years.

I guess all that's left now is to start clamping down on trade? The Philippine trade node is a bit bad in its placement. I suppose the best thing I should do is move my CoT to Malacca and try to tie down the two downstream nodes to secure as much trade power as possible yeah?

Spain just showed up on some Islands I hadn't yet colonised. Should I let them grab stuff and just pounce on them every time they develop a few provinces? Or should I grab them while they are colonies? (If I do that I'm not sure I can afford the etra cost. I'm loaded but not that much).

Bonus Europe screen.

First time I've ever seen a Cote d'Ivoire like that!

Popoto fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 1, 2020

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That feeling when you fight a hellwar as Pegu in the 1550s to fight through hundreds of thousands of Ming troops to occupy a province that borders them to take it in a peace deal, only to find out that my Muslim Pegu bordering Ming doesnt cause Ming to lose Mandate :suicide:

p.s. I successfully flipped to Sunni as Pegu and its awesome! No more lame advisors resigning because my Buddhist religion bar was all the way at the bottom forever. Now with high legalism, high Dhimmi loyalty, Aristocratic ideas, and a Pegu national idea I pay 40% less for Military techs!

Why did you choose Sunni over Hindu? I figured Hindu would be better if you're going to conquer into India, but I don't really remember the religion mechanics for either of them very well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
If anyone is looking for a relatively relaxed mp megacampaign to join, mine is recruiting and is starting the EU4 phase after nearly 600 years of CK2: reposting the link, sundays at noon est/ 9am pst https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/where-our-bootheels-goed-sunday-0900-1300-pst.1399662/

Most of the viable slots in Western/Central europe are filled and I think we filled most of eastern Europe. So potential slots are probably Middle East and North Africa/Egypt and Further East in Russia.

I'm in Northern Italy roleplaying a peasant's republic of matriarchal Dragonborn descended from Melkor's Ancalagon the Black.

The sizes currently are because we instituted hard size limits in CK2 to prevent blobbing and 1984 style "cold wars" between blobs. Our EU4 phase will likely retain some degree of size limits through reduced administrative capacity or something to that effect.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

Coastal raids are a crucial aspect of the game's core Bad Popups You Can't Do Anything About gently caress You mechanic

It's really weird to me that it doesn't create a CB and there's no peace option to force them to stop raiding you

Like, I know it was you Tunis!

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

It's really weird to me that it doesn't create a CB and there's no peace option to force them to stop raiding you

Like, I know it was you Tunis!

For real. At the same time though, the most satisfying thing ever as a Christian nation in the Med is to just annex all of North Africa from the strait to Alexandria and put a stop to it that way.

In other news:

??????????

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

Why did you choose Sunni over Hindu? I figured Hindu would be better if you're going to conquer into India, but I don't really remember the religion mechanics for either of them very well.
I should give Hindu a shot, but I really like the Dhimmi Estate interactions now - higher taxes on all non-Islamic provinces for no loyalty penalty, something else I cant remember off the top of my head about extra leaders, non-islamic provinces not counting towards Religious Unity, and if they get high loyalty you can get up to a 10% discount on tech. Add that to going Legalism you can get up to another 10% off of tech and an interaction to dump 2 corruption. Also I found out that when you convert to muslim you get to pick which school of scholar you are and I took the +1 merchant school, which is rockin'. Kinda makes me wish I could have chosen to go Shia instead so I could have picked a more combat related school but oh well.

You must have a truce with the fake pope in Avignon or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: oops, quote is not edit.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Ok so going for the subjugation war with naples as the papal states is a real trap option, all that AE holy crap I was not expecting that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Is there an easier way to assign war occupation to my vassals than clicking on each province individually and scrolling through my big-rear end revoked privilegia vassal list for each and every one?

e: just tried shift-clicking provinces and was ready to kick myself when it actually let me multi-select them but then when i assign them it still only does one of them. what is even the point of multi-selecting them if i can still only assign one at a time

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 1, 2020

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I would like to go on the record and state that "provoke revolt" is the single best new feature in this patch and among the top 5 of all time. Jesus it saves so much time and annoyance.

I think at one point I even (unintentionally) timed it so perfectly that a random AI army travelling my territory got caught in it and wiped it, saving me the manpower and effort.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Don't think you can provoke while at war, but you might pop them while granting access to someone as they pass through!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Don't think you can provoke while at war, but you might pop them while granting access to someone as they pass through!

Yeah it was at peace, AI was in an unrelated war and passing through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah provoke is incredible