Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

sean10mm posted:

Overall it's still pretty bad, especially for motherboards and PSUs. CPUs and RAM seem more normal, video cards are hit or miss. You also just see random items jacked up 2x or more for no reason while others are fine.

Guess I'll check in another month or two. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Klyith posted:

So I would say that display cable, monitor, and GPU are the order of things to check. Once you have a HDMI cable try that, and also if you have a TV around you could plug the PC into the TV to see if you get video.

Thanks. I had the display port cable plugged into the motherboard. Spent an extra two hours fiddling with something that wasn’t broken.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Before I start ordering, for review:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.89 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: *Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.78 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $949.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-27 18:00 EDT-0400

I'm also migrating over geforce gtx 1660ti. All good?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Intel 660p is a QLC drive. QLC is ok for average desktop & gaming use, but get slower as the drive gets full. They're IMO best as a secondary drive for like games-only storage.

By comparison the WD SN550 is the same price and is a TLC drive, though it doesn't have DRAM. And currently the HP EX950 is up for a very good price at newegg, which is both TLC and has DRAM.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

The Intel 660p is a QLC drive. QLC is ok for average desktop & gaming use, but get slower as the drive gets full. They're IMO best as a secondary drive for like games-only storage.

By comparison the WD SN550 is the same price and is a TLC drive, though it doesn't have DRAM. And currently the HP EX950 is up for a very good price at newegg, which is both TLC and has DRAM.

The HP one is the one to get then? I haven't done my homework on these drives apparently.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The HP is really good but I wouldn't pay extra for it. The WD will have pretty much the same performance outside of benchmarks.

e: actually it's only $15 more on Newegg it looks like. I think that's worth it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

All this time helping friends/family build new PCs has me wondering whether there are any meaningful upgrade options for my 4-year-old system.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($70.72 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB AMP! Edition Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $280.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-27 22:24 EDT-0400

Also have a couple SSDs and a HDD not worth tracking down for the part list, and a case obviously.

Is there anything worthwhile to upgrade here, or am I getting into "new build" territory at this point?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AlmightyPants posted:

The HP one is the one to get then? I haven't done my homework on these drives apparently.

For $135 it's the 1TB nvme drive I'd get. IMO if I was budget-constrained enough for the $15 to be a factor, I'd take $20 in the other direction and get a sata SU800 for just $99.

Mu Zeta posted:

The HP is really good but I wouldn't pay extra for it. The WD will have pretty much the same performance outside of benchmarks.

e: actually it's only $15 more on Newegg it looks like. I think that's worth it.

Yeah it's normally closer to $150, at which point I'd choose the SN550.

DRAM is nice, but not critical for most people as the main impact is with random write performance, which is not the most frequent activity for a home user. Mostly I think it's worth avoiding QLC if you're not getting a substantial discount, and intel just is not selling 660p's at those prices anymore. Used to be they were competitive with 2.5" sata drives at 1 & 2 TB.

Enigma posted:

Is there anything worthwhile to upgrade here, or am I getting into "new build" territory at this point?

Depending on what games you play you could get more life from just a new video card, or it's new build zone because the 4c/4t CPU is the problem. Mostly I'd say new build, but wait until later in the year.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Enigma posted:

All this time helping friends/family build new PCs has me wondering whether there are any meaningful upgrade options for my 4-year-old system.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory ($70.72 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB AMP! Edition Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $280.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-27 22:24 EDT-0400

Also have a couple SSDs and a HDD not worth tracking down for the part list, and a case obviously.

What issues are you having? You could get more and faster RAM that you could carry over to a new build, but I doubt that would actually help much of anything currently. Basically:

Klyith posted:

Depending on what games you play you could get more life from just a new video card, or it's new build zone because the 4c/4t CPU is the problem. Mostly I'd say new build, but wait until later in the year.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Everything is still humming along nicely, I'm just seeing that newer games, especially FPS like modern warfare, are dropping more into the 40-60 fps territory even on medium settings at 1080p.

Is the advice on waiting just because of covid issues now affecting price/availability, or more because of new tech on the horizon?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Enigma posted:

Everything is still humming along nicely, I'm just seeing that newer games, especially FPS like modern warfare, are dropping more into the 40-60 fps territory even on medium settings at 1080p.

Is the advice on waiting just because of covid issues now affecting price/availability, or more because of new tech on the horizon?

That's probably a CPU issue, though you can check by turning up settings and seeing if your fps drops and/or downloading MSI afterburner to show CPU and GPU utilization onscreen to see which one is choking.

Both. Covid has hosed availability which is the main reason to wait, but new CPUs and GPUs are expected ~Q4. Normally I'd say if the release date is more than two weeks or so just buy what's out, but when nothing is available waiting to see what's on the horizon has less of a cost.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Alright, thank you. Probably won't mess with MSI if knowing the choke doesn't help if there's nothing to do about it.

I got my brother setup with something similar to the build I posted a couple days ago because Microcenter seems to be getting things back in stock, but there's no such store in Florida so I'm at the mercy of online stock anyway.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Hey guys! So I've finally convinced my mom to let me build her a new desktop PC to replace her insanely slow laptop that shes had the last few years. I came here for advice on building my current PC at the end of 2015, still going strong! Mom would like a new laptop, but isn't opposed to a desktop. As far as I know she has never once taken one of her laptops out of the house, just moved it into the living room while she watches TV. I have never opened up the guts of a laptop in my life, and feel like I would have an easier time working on a simple desktop for her. The last two laptops shes had were the absolute cheapest ones you could buy at walmart, much to my dismay.. This time around I've convinced her to put 200$ towards this project, and I will pay for the rest.

I'm not very computer savy, if it wasn't for someone in this forum picking out all the parts for me, I would have had to rely on my friend to pick stuff out, or just buy a pre-assembled desktop. I was able to put it all together by myself easily enough though.

So! My question is, what would be a good build for a very simple desktop? She won't be playing any games, it would just be used for browsing the internet mostly, and using word/excel. Almost anything would be faster than the piece of junk she has now, but a reasonably good processor is important I guess. Something as fast as possible without being too expensive. She also doesn't want a huge tower taking up room in her office, so a mini build would probably be great, as long as it has a disk drive. The only two things we don't need are a hard drive and mouse.

Huge thanks in advance for anyone that can help! :)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Constipated posted:

So! My question is, what would be a good build for a very simple desktop? She won't be playing any games, it would just be used for browsing the internet mostly, and using word/excel. Almost anything would be faster than the piece of junk she has now, but a reasonably good processor is important I guess. Something as fast as possible without being too expensive. She also doesn't want a huge tower taking up room in her office, so a mini build would probably be great, as long as it has a disk drive. The only two things we don't need are a hard drive and mouse.

Intel NUC boxes are perfect for this type of work. You don't need lots of cores for a office PC. All you need to add is ram and a drive (you have to select the taller version to fit a 2.5" drive, the flatter ones only take m.2 drives).

If the hard drive you have lying around is a HDD, rethink your plan and get a SSD. SSDs are a lot of what makes a modern computer feel fast in ordinary use, while pairing a HDD with a super-fast CPU will still feel slow.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
its a 500gb samsung SSD. Those look sweet, looks like I would have to get an external disk drive though. Which wouldn't really be a problem. Lots of cheap bluray/DVD drives out there.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think I might be moving closer to deciding on parts for my photogrammetry desktop:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheAlterian/saved/QQyj23

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor - Pretty sure this is the one I am going to go with

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler - Is this a good one? I just picked one.

Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard - Kinda Iffy on this one too

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory - This is the speed and size I want, but I don't k now about the brand?

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive I saw some talk earlier in the thread about SSD that are cheaper than this one. Is the extra amount worth it? I will probably pick up another cheaper HD at some point for storage as well

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card - Pretty sure this is the one I want

Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 ATX Full Tower Case - I tried to find one that wasn;t too expensive but had a lot of fans. Hoping I chose ok

Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - I kinda guessed on this one too

The big things are that I'm settled on the CPU and video card as well as the speed and amount of RAM. I'm not sure about some of the brands I chose or if any of the other components are good. I'm a bit iffy on the motherboard and if I should go with a different one. Any feedback on this build would be greatly appreciated.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Alterian posted:

I think I might be moving closer to deciding on parts for my photogrammetry desktop:

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor - Pretty sure this is the one I am going to go with

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler - Is this a good one? I just picked one.

Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard - Kinda Iffy on this one too

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory - This is the speed and size I want, but I don't k now about the brand?

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive I saw some talk earlier in the thread about SSD that are cheaper than this one. Is the extra amount worth it? I will probably pick up another cheaper HD at some point for storage as well

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card - Pretty sure this is the one I want

Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 ATX Full Tower Case - I tried to find one that wasn;t too expensive but had a lot of fans. Hoping I chose ok

Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - I kinda guessed on this one too

The big things are that I'm settled on the CPU and video card as well as the speed and amount of RAM. I'm not sure about some of the brands I chose or if any of the other components are good. I'm a bit iffy on the motherboard and if I should go with a different one. Any feedback on this build would be greatly appreciated.

The mobo is fine. Cooler is fine.

Get the 3600 cl16 instead, CL19 is kind of poo poo. Gskill is fine.

Get a SN750 or Adata Pro instead of Samsung. If you're fixated on Samsung at least get the newer Evo Plus.

Of the fractal cases get the R6 for something quieter at idle or Meshify S2 for more cooling under load.

PSU is meh, spring for one with a 10 year warranty like a seasonic focus plus gold or similar tier from EVGA or Corsair.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
What country are you in? - U.S.
What are you using the system for? - Gaming mostly, maybe some video editing in the future. I want to be able to play Squad, Hell Let Loose, Witcher 3, and newer games (like Cyberpunk coming out later this year) with great settings and resolutions. I also want at least a 2TB SSD.
What's your budget? - I'd like to spend under or at $2,500-$3,000 but I'd be willing to spend more to meet my needs.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? - Don't have a monitor yet, but I'd like a big one with a great refresh rate. 27" would be awesome, but 24" would be okay too.
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - I want great graphics.

I've looked through PC Parts Picker, but I've been out of the PC parts game for a while and I have no idea if I should go with AMD or Intel, much less what graphics card I should get (Radeon vs Geforce), etc. I'm essentially clueless on hardware right now.

My Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop that I got last year just isn't cutting it for the newer games. It runs all the old games, even Fallout 4 on max settings, flawlessly, but it sputters with Squad, and the HDD is only 256gb SSD, so I can't even install more than a couple games at a time.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 28, 2020

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
One last question: is it possible to sort PC Parts Picker by which stores have the product in stock? It's telling me that everything but the case is out of stock at Amazon.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AlmightyPants posted:

One last question: is it possible to sort PC Parts Picker by which stores have the product in stock? It's telling me that everything but the case is out of stock at Amazon.

Uh, yeah, stuff not being in stock is a thing these days.

AFAIK pcpartpicker just uses scrapers to determine price & stock so it's not great for real-time stock checking. I dunno how often they cycle through products but I've definitely had them say in stock on pcpp but be sold out on amazon or whatever. (Also B&H are scummy, do things like say in stock when the only "stock" they have left is one display model -- so they take your money and put you on the backorder list.)

It's a build and general price comparison engine, it's not built for the pandemic. If you want to build a PC right now you are going to have to split orders over multiple sites or multiple days, sign up for auto-notify, and generally :f5h: for stuff.

edit: like if you want to buy everything from amazon you can register an account on pcpp, they have some feature in there about "preferred stores". but ordering every part from amazon is gonna be difficult.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

AFAIK pcpartpicker just uses scrapers to determine price & stock so it's not great for real-time stock checking. I dunno how often they cycle through products but I've definitely had them say in stock on pcpp but be sold out on amazon or whatever. (Also B&H are scummy, do things like say in stock when the only "stock" they have left is one display model -- so they take your money and put you on the backorder list.)

It's a build and general price comparison engine, it's not built for the pandemic. If you want to build a PC right now you are going to have to split orders over multiple sites or multiple days, sign up for auto-notify, and generally :f5h: for stuff.

That's unfortunate.

I'm finding that the motherboard I was originally going to get is out of stock. Any recommendations as what's good for what I'm building? It was originally a Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AlmightyPants posted:

That's unfortunate.

I'm finding that the motherboard I was originally going to get is out of stock. Any recommendations as what's good for what I'm building? It was originally a Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Apparently there's jack poo poo in stock right now. This is the only x570 board under $300 available to buy at newegg, amazon, or BB. That wouldn't be my first choice for x570 mobo, but it'll work fine for your build.

The weekends are a terrible time to order, I would suggest watching tue wed & thurs for restocks.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Klyith posted:

Apparently there's jack poo poo in stock right now. This is the only x570 board under $300 available to buy at newegg, amazon, or BB. That wouldn't be my first choice for x570 mobo, but it'll work fine for your build.

The weekends are a terrible time to order, I would suggest watching tue wed & thurs for restocks.

What’s the best X570 mobo you would recommend for reliability, 2 M2 slots, fast wifi and good built in sound card with some accessible overclocking options to pair with a NHD15?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

What’s the best X570 mobo you would recommend for reliability, 2 M2 slots, fast wifi and good built in sound card with some accessible overclocking options to pair with a NHD15?

Asus TUF X570-Plus WiFi, when it's in stock, which like everything else is very hit or miss. Its real price should be $189, anything over that is COVID inflation.

Some rankings you can use for reference, keep in mind a lot of this is based on wacky overkill overclocking, not just running a stock CPU, so not being uber tier does not equal lovely by any stretch.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=717981952
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1137619-motherboard-tier-list-v2-currently-amd-only/

It's only serious downside is lack of front panel USB-c header, but that's true of a shitload of X570 boards that aren't in the upper price tiers.

Built in wifi instead of add in does limit your choices some, which is doubly bad at the moment. And they all have a million back panel ports you can plug an external Wifi adapter into so I might not fixate on that.

The MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK doesn't have wifi but looks like it's going to be a really nice board in terms of build quality & features otherwise that should be under $200 if you can wait.

And everyone should wait if possible, poo poo's just stupid now.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 28, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kraftwerk posted:

I'd do the gigabyte X570 aorus elite wifi, it has an overkill VRM for the price and a good intel AX wifi chip. Though I can't really vouch for the built-in sound. It's a realtek like everyone else uses. And while gigabyte makes a big deal about their isolation on the board... really all mobo audio sucks for high-quality sound. If you have expensive headphones get a DAC.

^^^ edit LTT tier lists are generally dumb AF

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Bored As gently caress posted:

What country are you in? - U.S.
What are you using the system for? - Gaming mostly, maybe some video editing in the future. I want to be able to play Squad, Hell Let Loose, Witcher 3, and newer games (like Cyberpunk coming out later this year) with great settings and resolutions. I also want at least a 2TB SSD.
What's your budget? - I'd like to spend under or at $2,500-$3,000 but I'd be willing to spend more to meet my needs.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? - Don't have a monitor yet, but I'd like a big one with a great refresh rate. 27" would be awesome, but 24" would be okay too.
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - I want great graphics.

I've looked through PC Parts Picker, but I've been out of the PC parts game for a while and I have no idea if I should go with AMD or Intel, much less what graphics card I should get (Radeon vs Geforce), etc. I'm essentially clueless on hardware right now.

My Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop that I got last year just isn't cutting it for the newer games. It runs all the old games, even Fallout 4 on max settings, flawlessly, but it sputters with Squad, and the HDD is only 256gb SSD, so I can't even install more than a couple games at a time.

This is my personal master genius plan if I wasn't waiting for Zen 3/RTX 3000 (which I almost certainly am).

Note that a bunch of this stuff is not in stock because, like I said, stock is insanely bad now, so it may not be possible to even approximate this without overpaying by hundreds of bucks (and maybe not even then.)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($273.47 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($148.89 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1513.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-28 17:24 EDT-0400

If you want to bump it up just look at a RTX 2080/Super/Ti depending on your budget, but again: it's probably better to just wait for RTX 3000 at this point if you need MAXIMUM EVERYTHING for Cyberpunk 2077 or whatever.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 28, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Klyith posted:

edit: like if you want to buy everything from amazon you can register an account on pcpp, they have some feature in there about "preferred stores". but ordering every part from amazon is gonna be difficult.

it's really bad for amazon.ca and it doesnt seem to check canada computers for like 90% of stuff. it also just straight up told me there are no power supplies in stock at memory express and they had like 20. basically only newegg and best buy report correctly for canada so check every part manually

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Can I reuse my PSU? I have a Corsair AX760 from 2016-2017. I'm thinking I can replace my mobo with a Ryzen 4000 series and an RTX 3000 series.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I was able to find a msi b450i on Newegg for msrp a few weeks back by checking their website about every 30-60 minutes. I got super lucky towards the end of the day and noticed that the msi board had the “add to cart” button even though it had the red “ sold out” text above it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Kraftwerk posted:

Can I reuse my PSU? I have a Corsair AX760 from 2016-2017. I'm thinking I can replace my mobo with a Ryzen 4000 series and an RTX 3000 series.

Conventional wisdom I've seen is if it's out of warranty, don't reuse it.

TimeWaster
Nov 1, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

The AX is a top line PSU, there’s no need to replace it. I’ve been using the same HX (a tier down in Corsair’s lineup) since 2008 across 3 systems. Yours is very much good to continue on.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm hoping this is my final FINAL parts selection:

I don't need to build it tomorrow so I can keep an eye out for parts. I'm hoping to get it together by the end of the summer.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'm building a PC with a Fractal Design Meshify C case, which says it can take a CPU cooler of max height 170mm. One CPU cooler I'm considering is the Noctua NH-U14S which is 165mm and that seems a bit... tight.

I mean is it really as simple as: number 1 < number 2 = thumbs up? I feel like there'd be some vagaries on the exact mobo/cpu or are they that standardised? I'm likely going Tomahawk b550/3600 for which there's obviously not a great deal of anecdotal evidence out there yet.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Fwoderwick posted:

I'm building a PC with a Fractal Design Meshify C case, which says it can take a CPU cooler of max height 170mm. One CPU cooler I'm considering is the Noctua NH-U14S which is 165mm and that seems a bit... tight.

I mean is it really as simple as: number 1 < number 2 = thumbs up? I feel like there'd be some vagaries on the exact mobo/cpu or are they that standardised? I'm likely going Tomahawk b550/3600 for which there's obviously not a great deal of anecdotal evidence out there yet.

Looking at PC Part Picker it looks like a bunch of people have done builds with that combination of case & cooler. The specific mobo shouldn't matter, it would have to be bizarrely outside the range of normal ATX mobos to have an effect.

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/#h=19224&e=2589

e: They make colored heatsink covers for the U14S that might put it over the maximum height though.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 29, 2020

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I use a Noctua D-15 with a Meshify C case. Had no problem fitting it in. Only caveat is my case is the solid side Meshify and does not have a window. Agreed with above poster PcPartpicker is a great way to see others putting parts together that may be a tight fit.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Ah cheers, I've been using pcpartspicker for the first time on this build so still learning what you can get out of it. Had come across some of those builds via a search but of course you can just check the exact components :doh:

That's promising anyway, it'll be the glass sided version of the case but plenty of builds there using that. It's a good thing I don't give much of a gently caress about aesthetics because this cooler is gloriously ugly.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 29, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Fwoderwick posted:

Ah cheers, I've been using pcpartspicker for the first time on this build so still learning what you can get out of it. Had come across some of those builds via a search but of course you can just check the exact components :doh:

That's promising anyway, it'll be the glass sided version of the case but plenty of builds there using that. It's a good thing I don't give much of a gently caress about aesthetics because this cooler is gloriously ugly.

It really is. They make other coolers in cooler colors, but the U14S is kind of perfect for what it is but it only comes in "medically questionable feces" color.

Somebody made a build with the theme of EVERYTHING IN NOCTUA TURD COLORS that was pretty funny.

e: Actually it looks like multiple maniacs have done it, for example https://twitter.com/Noctua_at/status/1258099581721640960

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 29, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Looks like this parts shortage seems to be affecting Noctua products as well.. There's no NHD15s anywhere except newegg and somehow I don't trust that.

Also lol if you think you'll ever find a chromax at MSRP.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hi thread!

I have a mITX PC that I use with my TV in the living room, as a HTPC and gaming console. The core of the system is around six years old and overdue for an upgrade. I live in the Netherlands.

I did upgrade and add some parts over the years that I intend to keep. The GPU was replaced 2 years ago by a GTX1060. The power supply is also fairly new, about a year old. I also added a second, bigger SSD. This time around it's time to upgrade the CPU, motherboard and RAM. The video card will be upgraded again in a year or so, when the next generation is here. I intend to keep the current case as it fits well in my bookcase and can accomodate a full-sized videocard.

The upgraded mobo/CPU/RAM should last me another 5 years or so. I don't intend to overclock it or anything. I do want to be able to run games in 4k in the future, after upgrading both the GPU and my TV.

Current setup:

Parts that I intend to replace:
Motherboard ASRock H97M-ITX/ac
CPU Intel i5-4460
CPU cooler Stock Intel cooler
RAM 8GB (2x 4GB), don't recall the brand

Parts that I intend to keep:
GPU Asus DUAL-GTX1060-O6G
PSU SilverStone SFX 450W 80 Plus Gold
SSD #1 Crucial MX100 256GB
SSD #2 Crucial MX500 500GB
Case SilverStone Milo ML07

Parts that I intend to buy:
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU cooler Scythe Big Shuriken 3 50.79 CFM CPU Cooler
RAM G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

The questions I have with this:
1) The only reason I picked this motherboard is that it's the cheapest mITX B450 motherboard, offers enough features and has fine reviews. I don't see much reason to spend more on a B550 board, they are quite a bit more expensive. Is this a correct assessment?
2) I am unsure whether this board will work without a BIOS update (why yes, I have seen the thread title but this is a mITX board), but I will check with the webshop this before buying it, perhaps they can flash it for me if neccesary.
3) As the PC is in the living room, it's important that it is as quiet as possible. I hear the stock cooler from AMD works fine but can be pretty loud. So I'll need an aftermarket cooler, something that I have zero experience with. It has to be less than 83mm high. The Scythe Big Shuriken 3 should fit and has pretty good reviews, but I am open to different suggestions.
4) This RAM is 3000MT/s, I picked it because Dutch website Tweakers recommends it in its latest Best Buy Guide. Is that fine or should I go for RAM with 3200MT/s instead?

Thanks for reading! Any help is appreciated :)

Martian fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

sean10mm posted:

e: Actually it looks like multiple maniacs have done it, for example https://twitter.com/Noctua_at/status/1258099581721640960

Incredible, but why do I have this sudden urge to wear a turtle neck and pour a whisky on the rocks?

I... I think I need some jazz