Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tsaedje posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtppXIfi9Nk

Any of you want nearly 7 hours of Lamb Lies Down demo sessions?

Oh hell yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I really got nothing to add to this.

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/t&r-lockdown-swan-lake-sunday-lunch

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Good to see a couple of people at least don't have the lockdown madness.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tsaedje posted:

Fuuuuuck yes

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Came across this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKx4G_ICZc

"Prog from home" performances including Haken, Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, Jordan Rudess, and a brief appearance by Steve Hackett doing "Blood on the Rooftops."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
New Transatlantic when.

poo poo sorry, I just say that out of habit.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I will accept a new Transatlantic album, but only if we can get another Transatlantic interview to go with it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Rush made a video of "Spirit of Radio" in tribute to Neil Peart. It's pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QtO0Rhp0w

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That was really good

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

Holy crap inject this straight into my veins.

edit, I just need to say, I love this album so much it almost hurts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hmmm

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finding out at last that furry is
A state of mind

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Apple Music's "discovery" is finally starting to pay off. I had never heard of these guys, they're a Norwegian prog group. This album is pretty drat good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

algebra testes posted:

Finding out at last that furry is
A state of mind
we
will always be
so much more human
than
we wish to be

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Summer came with longing for the things we could not be.......

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

For the longest time, the only Fates Warning album I had was Perfect Symmetry and I didn't really care for it. I gave it a bunch of listens and it always came off as flat, mechanical, soulless. But I tried the more recent Theories of Flight and I really liked it. The songwriting seems much more animated, more interesting. So am I missing something with Perfect Symmetry? Do they have any other early albums worth checking out?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

For the longest time, the only Fates Warning album I had was Perfect Symmetry and I didn't really care for it. I gave it a bunch of listens and it always came off as flat, mechanical, soulless. But I tried the more recent Theories of Flight and I really liked it. The songwriting seems much more animated, more interesting. So am I missing something with Perfect Symmetry? Do they have any other early albums worth checking out?

Listen to the classic John Arch era stuff. If you hear Awaken the Guardian and The Spectre Within and come away thinking they’re unanimated, then you just have problems.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Finally got around to listening to the new PRR album, and... as a whole, I don't love it yet, but it's a lot better than Hammer and Anvil (everything's written by Jon Courtney again, thank God). It's very much a prog metal album in contrast to their previous albums, where I think they blurred genre lines more interestingly and effectively, and some of it feels a bit aimless and longwinded like the weakest parts of The Dark Third. Lyrically and thematically, it feels almost bizarrely relevant for an album released in the midst of a pandemic it wouldn't have been inspired by.

Hope they've still got some more albums in them and we don't have to wait another decade for the next one.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm the opposite. Theories Of Flight bores me to tears and Perfect Symmetry is like top-tier FW for me next to No Exit and A Pleasant Shade Of Grey.

Ray Alder's solo album from last year is a banger tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvzmK-X7SPw

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I listened to some of Awaken the Guardian while I was out doing errands and it's very, very good. So I guess Perfect Symmetry is just an anomaly with me.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I listened to some of Awaken the Guardian while I was out doing errands and it's very, very good. So I guess Perfect Symmetry is just an anomaly with me.

My favorite FW album tbh.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been revisiting some of the prog albums I met this year and some of them are holding up. Kino's Picture is really good, although it's standout alt sound is only found on the first song and the rest of the album is neo-prog. That being said, this is really good neo-prog and one of my favourite neo-prog albums.

I gotta give Peter Gabriel a deeper look. Up is a fantastic album and I can't wait to get ahold of his other works. I avoided him for most of my music enthusiast career (despite being a huge Genesis fan) because I associated him with his pop music (albeit really good pop music) and didn't think his work would be so proggy and artsy.

Relistened to Frost*'s Milliontown and Sylvan's Posthumous Silence, where the former held up very well and its praise is completely deserved, I didn't think Posthumous Silence was exemplary although once of the best prog albums of that year.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Seventh Arrow posted:

Awaken the Guardian and The Spectre Within are near universally regarded as their best albums by far.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

When you're done with classic Fates Warning you should listen to Arch/Matheos, which is basically a combination of the best FW lineups. Some of the best prog metal of the 2010s.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

When you're done with classic Fates Warning you should listen to Arch/Matheos, which is basically a combination of the best FW lineups. Some of the best prog metal of the 2010s.

As long as we're talking about PM from the last 10 years or so, Atlantean Kodex really scratches that itch well.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I don't remember Atleantean Kodex having much prog in their sound at all but maybe they've changed a bit since 2013?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

I gotta give Peter Gabriel a deeper look. Up is a fantastic album and I can't wait to get ahold of his other works. I avoided him for most of my music enthusiast career (despite being a huge Genesis fan) because I associated him with his pop music (albeit really good pop music) and didn't think his work would be so proggy and artsy.

Up, Ovo and 3 are probably his most experimental and unique stuff, so maybe check out those after. I think that, besides Us, all his albums are good even if some of them are surprisingly accesible for an artist like PG. And So is solid, no matter if you just enjoy the pop aspect or the craftmanship behind it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

A human heart posted:

I don't remember Atleantean Kodex having much prog in their sound at all but maybe they've changed a bit since 2013?

I found Course of Empire to be wonderfully proggy and well crafted.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QKmOJl4GXQ

Unf.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Gildenlöw's been seriously hitting gym after his brush with death.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

My favourite FW album is FWX and I feel bad about it but they're at their best when they're writing short, focused songs! Ahhh I'm sorry!!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

tote up a bags posted:

My favourite FW album is FWX and I feel bad about it but they're at their best when they're writing short, focused songs! Ahhh I'm sorry!!

Short songs are for the W E A K!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh hey! Phideaux came out with a free odds-'n'-ends album, Lysogenic Burnt Offerings.

It's mostly rough cuts and concept tracks but there's also a live version of Thank You for the Evil which might rock even harder than the original. And the song which is basically In the Hall of the Mountain King but about robots has got me grinning like a fool.

Probably best received by Phideaux fans. But that should be most of you :colbert:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Apple Music hit another solid recommendation today: Barok Project. I've only listened to one album thus far, but you can hear a little of each classic-era prog group in it. They are Italian, but with English lyrics.

The founder is evidently a Keith Emerson fanboi, and it really shows in this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlzrO7ACVNM

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think Toyah has turned Fripp from an introvert weirdo into an extrovert weirdo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiJH8TenrrQ

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
He's not taking lockdown well, is he?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
There isn't a doubt in my mind that they aren't voracious swingers.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Picked up a McKendree Spring album (Tracks) earlier this month at Goodwill. This is run of the mill light country pop, until the very end of the album where they drop this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jTsJdfbeA

It's not great, but has a bit of a Curved Air vibe to it. YouTube recommended another song of theirs, God Bless the Conspiracy, which I like more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSbZdd-PF7o

Is anyone familiar enough with them to know if the rest of their stuff is the country pop, or more like these two cuts?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is so strange, For most of my life I subscribed to the "Dream Theater is a bunch of technical wank" school of thought, but now I find myself thinking that Scenes From a Memory, Awake, A Change of Seasons and Images and Words are good actually?

I never thought I'd turn 180 on a band so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

algebra testes posted:

This is so strange, For most of my life I subscribed to the "Dream Theater is a bunch of technical wank" school of thought, but now I find myself thinking that Scenes From a Memory, Awake, A Change of Seasons and Images and Words are good actually?

I never thought I'd turn 180 on a band so much.

Like any band they had their hits and misses. The hits are pretty solid though.