Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

they're also planning to add coronavirus to the game and you have to take space showers to remove the spacerona before entering the medbay, after you've walked through the ship and infected everyone else. loving. what.

or maybe it's just a mandatory shower room for goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Taintrunner posted:

DID ANYONE POST THE SPACE BILLARDS TABLE YET

loving SPACE BILLARDS

Am I the only one who saw this and immediately thought of Impact Wrestling's very silly 6-sided ring?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hey look we added a space map room that is utterly loving useless and dumb as poo poo

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

loving SPACE BILLARDS

that doesn't even look like it's angled correctly.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
That space billiards would be fine in any actual game, but somehow, SC makes it stupid.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Why are all the balls the same?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

The Super-Id posted:

Fidelity.

Or maybe ball skins are $25 apiece.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Super-Id posted:

space snooker because lol britz are wacky!!!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

loving SPACE BILLARDS
I hope all objects on that table behave according to newtonian physics and once you slightly push one ball, your game and server crash. Or is it just non-functional non-fidelitous static decoration?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Taintrunner posted:

space snooker

Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

(also I ran "gremlich" through google translate and I guess it's German for "awkward" which is so appropriate.)

I had to look that up and Google translate does indeed translate a word that is non-existent in the German language. :psyduck:

Still, I am all for calling awkward and stupid moments gremlich from now on.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

loving SPACE BILLARDS

Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw had it so SC has to have it, but stupider. Man if I was developing a space game I'd just keep adding stuff that CR will demand after seeing it in my game, start a stupid stuff in space games arms race.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 29, 2020

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Taintrunner posted:

loving SPACE BILLARDS

I guess this means CRobber finally got around to play Duke 3D and got some inspiration for more never-done-before features. Next, I bet we'll see 4-bit combo locks that blow up nearby buildings.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

colonelwest posted:

No one who isn’t deeply invested in this mess is waiting around with baited breath for the space game to game to end all space games to spring like a phoenix from Chris’ CryEngine dumpster fire.

Has anybody said Cringe Engine yet? :smuggo:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

jarlywarly posted:

Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw had it so SC has to have it, but stupider. Man if I was developing a space game I'd just keep adding stuff that CR will demand after seeing it in my game, start a stupid stuff in space games arms race.
CR might see it as an arms race while to every outsider it looks like Caligula declaring war on the ocean.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

hey look we added a space map room that is utterly loving useless and dumb as poo poo

Lol, wasn't this a very, very, very early stretch goal, like $10M or something?

e: $44M :siren:May 23, 2014:siren:

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

an actual frog posted:

A mate of mine in the industry got an unprompted CIG job interview offer via a recruiter. He showed me the email: full of the usual puffery selling the project as this big epic thing, a chance to make your name on a AAA project, huge budget, awesome team, etc. etc. the works. They didn't name the project or developer so he replied something along the lines of "if this is for star citizen don't ever contact me again".

This couldn't have been Star Citizen though. Everybody knows that Star Citizen is the only AAAA of the world.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Taintrunner posted:

loving SPACE BILLARDS

The Carrack is ultimate example of where this project is at going on 9 years and 300 million dollars. Literally everything inside it is just a static prop so you can LARP being a refined gentleman space explorer like Captain Picard. In one of CIG’s hype videos for it, Lando even talks about how the big bookcase in the captain’s office makes you looked smart and learned in front of your crew.

Nothing works, can be interacted with and/or serves any gameplay function. But it’s all perfect for posing your spaceman in front of and snapping screenshots, so you can post them to Reddit along with your dreams.txt about exploration gameplay; which has no game mechanics even designed for it and the game currently has 3/4 of star system 1/100.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Remember when CIG showed off the custom pool table they had in their offices 5 years ago?

Lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah and the felt looked like it was abused by a bunch of drunks.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"It's been 8 years and 300 million dollars and these chucklefucks haven't produced even the bare skeleton of a full-featured game let alone made even a chip in their Olympus Mons of engineering debt, but if we give them 300 million more and hire a hundred more people, I'm sure the project will finish in no time!

YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND GAME DEVELOPMENT"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Remember when CIG showed off the custom pool table they had in their offices 5 years ago?

hey remember when Spacewar was the apex of galactic gaming

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol

precious memories

When they installed that they knew this project was for real and gonna make it and only rockstar maybe could keep up their raw game creation power

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Lol, haven't they had in the range of 70-90 job openings for well over a year now?

Super weird that they haven't filled any of those positions. Almost like they are a horrible company to work for with crap pay.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

Lol, haven't they had in the range of 70-90 job openings for well over a year now?

Super weird that they haven't filled any of those positions. Almost like they are a horrible company to work for with crap pay.

i think we've been through this but many companies open tons of positions / keep positions always open probably for some weird corpo management reason
CIG is still a meme though

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sandepande posted:

Fidelity.

Or maybe ball skins are $25 apiece.

I believe the scientific term is "scrotum."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I can't think of another game company that has given me more entertainment than CI¬G
Ergo - Star Citizen = extremely good

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
Their job listings, currently at 85. I don't know anything about corporate hiring practices or AAAA development, but is it normal to have 1/3 of the listings to cover senior or lead positions?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Inacio posted:

i think we've been through this but many companies open tons of positions / keep positions always open probably for some weird corpo management reason
CIG is still a meme though

That's true, I have no idea what the industry standard is for ratio of job openings to current employees. A cursory glance through some studios seems to range wildly from 1% to 15%.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

That's true, I have no idea what the industry standard is for ratio of job openings to current employees. A cursory glance through some studios seems to range wildly from 1% to 15%.

I don’t know much about hiring in the video game/software industry, but in my field companies usually only advertise positions that they’re trying to fill within the next 30-90 days.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

I don’t know much about hiring in the video game/software industry, but in my field companies usually only advertise positions that they’re trying to fill within the next 30-90 days.

CIG needs to maintain the illusion that they're right on the edge of explosive growth. That explains the job posting numbers, and the positions being "leads." If they were advertising a hundred regular positions it would make it look like their foundation was weak. But with the huge growth happening any minute you guys, we're definitely gonna need a bunch of leads to handle all this new totally organic growth based purely on quality offerings and customer demand and not at all based on lies, deception, subterfuge, manipulation, and fraud.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

an actual frog posted:

A mate of mine in the industry got an unprompted CIG job interview offer via a recruiter. He showed me the email: full of the usual puffery selling the project as this big epic thing, a chance to make your name on a AAA project, huge budget, awesome team, etc. etc. the works. They didn't name the project or developer so he replied something along the lines of "if this is for star citizen don't ever contact me again".

"If this is for star citizen don't ever contact me again" is one of my new favorite quotes to come out of this thread. Right behind "that's him in the wheelchair."

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
What's the oldest vacancy on their job website? I wonder if it spans the space of a couple of years

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hezzy posted:

What's the oldest vacancy on their job website? I wonder if it spans the space of a couple of years

The barista with JIRA experience?

Erin’s personal trainer/diet coach?

Chairman of Cloud Imperium Games?

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 29, 2020

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Taintrunner posted:

loving SPACE BILLARDS

Shouldn't it be space snooker since all of the balls are silver?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Taintrunner posted:

mass effect 3 came out over eight years ago

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

colonelwest posted:

The barista with JIRA experience?

Erin’s personal trainer/diet coach?

Chairman of Cloud Imperium Games?

"Actual marketing director"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Have any backers said "secret dev build" without irony recently?

colonelwest posted:

The Carrack is ultimate example of where this project is at going on 9 years and 300 million dollars. Literally everything inside it is just a static prop so you can LARP being a refined gentleman space explorer like Captain Picard. In one of CIG’s hype videos for it, Lando even talks about how the big bookcase in the captain’s office makes you looked smart and learned in front of your crew.

Nothing works, can be interacted with and/or serves any gameplay function. But it’s all perfect for posing your spaceman in front of and snapping screenshots, so you can post them to Reddit along with your dreams.txt about exploration gameplay; which has no game mechanics even designed for it and the game currently has 3/4 of star system 1/100.

L O L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Virtual Captain posted:

Have any backers said "secret dev build" without irony recently?

L O L

Cymelion posted:

The problem is we're now too close to October now so everything is being held back for Citizencon digital event.