Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

"I am friends with an immigrant but I don't think we should take a stance on or be personally rude to the anti-immigrant gestapo" is a highly pure form of hn.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
taibbi is mostly right in that substack piece

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

taibbi is mostly right in that substack piece

it's political correctness gone mad stu

can't even say all lives matter any more

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
supposedly the actual reason is that the ceo's wife is an immigration lawyer and they apparently agreed that ice would be way worse at their jobs and lose even more kids if not for the saving grace of github.com

lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Suspicious Dish posted:

supposedly the actual reason is that the ceo's wife is an immigration lawyer and they apparently agreed that ice would be way worse at their jobs and lose even more kids if not for the saving grace of github.com

lol

that was the vp eng, the founder dropped the ‘ i don’t always agree with my wife like you don’t always agree with my leadership here’

https://www.latimes.com/business/technology/story/2020-06-12/github-ceo-black-lives-matter-employees-demand-end-ice-contract

github has a long history of wife issues http://valleywag.gawker.com/meet-the-married-duo-behind-techs-biggest-new-harassme-1545685104

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

But what about the negative press attention for the company I own stocks in??? Can't they just protest quietly in-house???

reform in South Africa is coming!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the hn poster has accidentally stumbled across a point

refusing to sell to ICE but continuing to do business with the fbi, cia, dhs, treasury dept is like happily selling to the SS but drawing the line at the gestapo

like, all of these are tools of abuse and horror, why on earth do you single out one agency that is just slightly worse than the others

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
theres_no_such_thing_as_ethical_consumption_under_capitalism.txt

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
dude is afraid of his own projections lol

wolco 2 hours ago [–]

The whole thing makes white people subconsciously want to avoid minorities because of the risk of mob punishment if they fail to follow new rules being created for conduct.

Same thing happened after me too where many men were afraid to risk power for a real life hookup with the risks involved and have opted out for paided (where legal) risk free transactions. Which in turn has reduced the amount of relationships in general and made everyone lonely.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
dude openly admitting he does not know how to gently caress in a way that won't get him called a rapist :thunk:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

salisbury shake posted:

dude is afraid of his own projections lol

wolco 2 hours ago [–]

The whole thing makes white people subconsciously want to avoid minorities because of the risk of mob punishment if they fail to follow new rules being created for conduct.

Same thing happened after me too where many men were afraid to risk power for a real life hookup with the risks involved and have opted out for paided (where legal) risk free transactions. Which in turn has reduced the amount of relationships in general and made everyone lonely.

jesus christ

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

good thing I have my “Not a rapist” shirt to help clear up any misconceptions people might have about me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ah, yes, the solution is to only abuse sex workers, an exploited group who cannot complain

that's some peak hn poo poo, that's what we come to this thread for

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

blackrock 3 hours ago [–]

The Foxconn employees are not doing anything really productive for China.
They’re in low value jobs that keeps themselves busy, but doesn’t bring in much profit for China, except for Foxconn and Apple.
Apple benefits from cheap Chinese labor, while selling their iWares at inflated prices.
What China can do instead, is to retarget these factory workers to work in software development, or AI grunt work.
Currently, AI requires a lot of manual human data labeling, in order to identify objects.
China can utilize this already cheap and organized factory labor, to build up an object inference database. That way, the AI systems of today, can cross reference against this inference database, to identify the object.
This inference database literally becomes, the new oil of the AI age.
And through a lot of sweat equity, China can possibly dominate this key area for the AI future.
Maybe this is why 5G is so important? The lower latency of 5G would usher in the AI age.
The western world is so focused on Foxconn, and its “supposed benefits” to China. But the benefits are meager. The biggest beneficiary is Apple itself.
China should let Foxconn and other low value industries go, in order to free themselves to work on higher value pursuits.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
vmception 3 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Unsubscribe: The $0-budget movie that ‘topped the ...

> Instead, he suggested that we all wait and purchase the book on the same day from Amazon. The strategy worked -- the book was #1 in its category that day.

In my instagram marketing last decade thats what we did.

While others were imagining that people "buy likes", or actually were dealing with bots, we were doing this for our clients.

Basically you get meme accounts to do a promotion of a profile that is currently private, and all the followers to a private profile get queued up, you can queue them up in the thousands or hundreds of thousands. when you unprivate the account, only like 100 of them get approved to follow you at once, so it adds up like a currency you can spend whenever you want. to mass approve you have to toggle private and unprivate over and over again, or approve the requests yourself or via API. either way you can only pull a list of 100 or so at a time, but you can keep them in the "requested" pool forever until convenient.

So you can grow an account with like a few hundred followers to a hundred thousand+ real followers very quickly.

But engagement is more important for the utility value of the account, and so you can also post an image with all the hashtags and location tags while the account is private, and let your new followers begin engaging with it. And then unprivate the account and even more new followers begin engaging with it, and then it becomes the TOP image in the hashtag.

In prior versions of instagram it would also be in the activity section in a large web of followers of followers.

For myself I have used one of the popular quickly and cheaply grown accounts to slide into the DMs of local women. In general on dating apps, women are funneling people to their instagram profile to ignore them. If you have a popular account its a night and day difference. I don't even attempt to match with them on the dating app, I just message them on IG straight away from the popular account (30K+ followers). Real dates and intimacy off of that, even in San Francisco. Skips the queue.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
... it's a mildly interesting titbit abusing some mechanism of instagram for exposure, wonder what he used it for...

Oh.
Ok.

Almost forgot it was hn.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I might be missing something because I don't use Instagram, but:

quote:

Basically you get meme accounts to do a promotion of a profile that is currently private, and all the followers to a private profile get queued up, you can queue them up in the thousands or hundreds of thousands.

[..] So you can grow an account with like a few hundred followers to a hundred thousand+ real followers very quickly.

So basically the trick first still requires him to get "thousands or hundreds of thousands" of accounts to bite on the "promotion" and click on the follow button of his profile even though it's currently private, and then he can do that weird "toggle private flag to approve 100 at the same time" to appear like hot poo poo to IG's algorithms.

But one would think that getting those follow clicks in the first place would be the hard part (without straight up buying them, as he claims), and that having a private profile would massively discourage that.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
make it a fake hot chick and guys think they’re legit because of course real women hide their profiles but maybe they can slide in

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

that all sounds really gross and stupid

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

dads friend steve posted:

well yeah. what did you think this was, the thread about not-slimeballs?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

dads friend steve posted:

Everything about Instagram culture is really trashy and contemptible, in the same way that everything about Twitter culture is reckless and odious.

There is no good social network because humans cannot deal with being in public 24/7 in a healthy way. IIRC someone once tried to make a social network where you could only have a limited number of friends roughly similar in size to real-life circles of acquaintances, which would probably have curbed out most of the excesses of people chasing fame, but I don't think it went anywhere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wasnt that the one which failed to grow so hard that they sent mass notifications to your entire contacts list without permission, thus dooming themselves into oblivion because nobody trusted them anymore

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
LinkedIn?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

NihilCredo posted:

Everything about Instagram culture is really trashy and contemptible, in the same way that everything about Twitter culture is reckless and odious.

There is no good social network because humans cannot deal with being in public 24/7 in a healthy way. IIRC someone once tried to make a social network where you could only have a limited number of friends roughly similar in size to real-life circles of acquaintances, which would probably have curbed out most of the excesses of people chasing fame, but I don't think it went anywhere.

The fediverse is pretty cool imo

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wasnt that the one which failed to grow so hard that they sent mass notifications to your entire contacts list without permission, thus dooming themselves into oblivion because nobody trusted them anymore

facebook?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
path

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
in response to a post about a Hispanic family that was shot at and chased out of town because someone accused them of being Antifa online. 'karen' won't fly on hn, but this will

biscotti 13 hours ago [–]
I do not blame people for being frightened, worried or concerned about Antifa.

Antifa are dishonest, lack integrity and are not able to defend a robust arguement against them. They and the Hollywood and blue tick classes have validated much of what you're seeing in the destruction of our western civilization and the attacks against "white" people which are shooting through the roof, we just had a mass murder of park goers here in Reading, Berkshire and America had an execution in New York. The burned out businesses in Minneapolis will not be coming back. It seems at least from over the pond, like another Detroit.

They are agitating for genocide now. The BLM has received so much money what else could be the objective?

They have shown they're not above using cancel culture, doxxing and threatening behaviour and most I've engaged with have no regard or knowledge of history.

The African British friends I have are actually turning against Journalists and these "fellow white people" that have used a colour to wage a war of hate to get what they want because even though they control the institutions and the media, they have never had the consent of the demos at large.

My Igbo friends even invented a new adjective "Bodeyad" to describe an actor reading from a Hollywood script.

I believe the weaponisation of race by foreign money and interests is using black people as a destabilization technique and it seems the emperor is losing his clothes now for anyone outside the hangers on. It is a pretty debased type of psychological warfare and divide and conquor if you ask me.

I would most certainly chase Antifa out of my village, or set up roadblocks to assure they are not planning attacks on people they have identified as not befitting their narrative. I have no doubts their groups have drawn up lists of dissidents and targets.

The question noone has been able to answer me convincingly, is why wouldn't I?

biscotti 9 days ago [–]
Sorry but Islam has problematic requirements for its adherants that mean the Chinese are right. It should be regarded as a virus. It is a form of modern day slavery, and compels its followers to subjugate, convert or depose of the Kafir and terrorise their fellow Muslim to be compliant.

biscotti 11 hours ago [–]
The most successful ethic groups are those that will integrate. Learn about your nation and your history & try to be the best they can be.

The most successful ethnic groups consider themselves British or American for instance first and do not allow the peoples to be split into groups & weaponised by pressure groups & the media.

The most successful ethnic minorities are not this demeaning label, they are my fellow countrymen, and we both regard each other as such first and foremost.

The most successful ethnic group is shocked when they see the cancel culture and doxxing of the left and a nonsensical position that they do not see robustly or honestly defended by anyone and that validates heinous and unprovoked actions against a group.

The most successful ethnic groups are horrified by social media’s lack of responsibility & overt attempts to control the narrative and at their promotion and protection of agitators and blue ticks & relegation and deletion of those that rally against destruction and attempt to stop this madness & affront to the west, to disengage tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fritz posted:

blackrock 3 hours ago [–]

The Foxconn employees are not doing anything really productive for China.
They’re in low value jobs that keeps themselves busy, but doesn’t bring in much profit for China, except for Foxconn and Apple.
Apple benefits from cheap Chinese labor, while selling their iWares at inflated prices.
What China can do instead, is to retarget these factory workers to work in software development, or AI grunt work.
Currently, AI requires a lot of manual human data labeling, in order to identify objects.
China can utilize this already cheap and organized factory labor, to build up an object inference database. That way, the AI systems of today, can cross reference against this inference database, to identify the object.
This inference database literally becomes, the new oil of the AI age.
And through a lot of sweat equity, China can possibly dominate this key area for the AI future.
Maybe this is why 5G is so important? The lower latency of 5G would usher in the AI age.
The western world is so focused on Foxconn, and its “supposed benefits” to China. But the benefits are meager. The biggest beneficiary is Apple itself.
China should let Foxconn and other low value industries go, in order to free themselves to work on higher value pursuits.

lol brain genius who has never read a single paragraph about 21st century chinese industrial policy

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

salisbury shake posted:

in response to a post about a Hispanic family that was shot at and chased out of town because someone accused them of being Antifa online. 'karen' won't fly on hn, but this will

biscotti 13 hours ago [–]
I do not blame people for being frightened, worried or concerned about Antifa.

Antifa are dishonest, lack integrity and are not able to defend a robust arguement against them. They and the Hollywood and blue tick classes have validated much of what you're seeing in the destruction of our western civilization and the attacks against "white" people which are shooting through the roof, we just had a mass murder of park goers here in Reading, Berkshire and America had an execution in New York. The burned out businesses in Minneapolis will not be coming back. It seems at least from over the pond, like another Detroit.

They are agitating for genocide now. The BLM has received so much money what else could be the objective?

They have shown they're not above using cancel culture, doxxing and threatening behaviour and most I've engaged with have no regard or knowledge of history.

The African British friends I have are actually turning against Journalists and these "fellow white people" that have used a colour to wage a war of hate to get what they want because even though they control the institutions and the media, they have never had the consent of the demos at large.

My Igbo friends even invented a new adjective "Bodeyad" to describe an actor reading from a Hollywood script.

I believe the weaponisation of race by foreign money and interests is using black people as a destabilization technique and it seems the emperor is losing his clothes now for anyone outside the hangers on. It is a pretty debased type of psychological warfare and divide and conquor if you ask me.

I would most certainly chase Antifa out of my village, or set up roadblocks to assure they are not planning attacks on people they have identified as not befitting their narrative. I have no doubts their groups have drawn up lists of dissidents and targets.

The question noone has been able to answer me convincingly, is why wouldn't I?

biscotti 9 days ago [–]
Sorry but Islam has problematic requirements for its adherants that mean the Chinese are right. It should be regarded as a virus. It is a form of modern day slavery, and compels its followers to subjugate, convert or depose of the Kafir and terrorise their fellow Muslim to be compliant.

biscotti 11 hours ago [–]
The most successful ethic groups are those that will integrate. Learn about your nation and your history & try to be the best they can be.

The most successful ethnic groups consider themselves British or American for instance first and do not allow the peoples to be split into groups & weaponised by pressure groups & the media.

The most successful ethnic minorities are not this demeaning label, they are my fellow countrymen, and we both regard each other as such first and foremost.

The most successful ethnic group is shocked when they see the cancel culture and doxxing of the left and a nonsensical position that they do not see robustly or honestly defended by anyone and that validates heinous and unprovoked actions against a group.

The most successful ethnic groups are horrified by social media’s lack of responsibility & overt attempts to control the narrative and at their promotion and protection of agitators and blue ticks & relegation and deletion of those that rally against destruction and attempt to stop this madness & affront to the west, to disengage tho

literally_a_fascist.txt

jfc :psyduck:

like that person has been banned or something right? that's straight up a National Action member

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

salisbury shake posted:

"They are agitating for genocide now. The BLM has received so much money what else could be the objective?"

Fascists hold that the opposite of white supremacy is some bullshit notion of "black supremacy". That they will receive the same treatment from black populations as those black populations received at their hands.

They really cannot model any sort of interactions between people through the lens of anything other than conquest and dominance, be it business, dating, or groups of people inhabiting the same space. This poo poo is terrifying.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well besides the whole concept of "we gave them money, what else could these subhuman scum want?"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

IKnowThatIdk 3 hours ago [–]

For Android, I've found using termux to install Emacs, and then keeping a Bluetooth keyboard in my car has come in useful for impromptu note taking sessions.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol dilbert

https://twitter.com/scottadamssays/status/1277411944459153408

https://twitter.com/scottadamssays/status/1277635089598345218

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Scott Adams lives in Danville, CA, the second richest zip code in the bay area (after Atherton) and one of only two republican zip codes in the bay area (including Atherton).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
danville's an awful place full of scott adamses

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plorkyeran posted:

danville's an awful place
it really is

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Scott Adams angry replying to JarJar Binx itt

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i am not a tv executive but i cant imagine i would be excited to see a full seven season arc when some random actor walks into a pitch meeting

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assume he means "a fully realized [background information] bible, a pilot, and a seven season arc" but the punctuation makes me read it as he's walking in with seven seasons of a show about the bible and is baffled that people aren't fighting over it because who doesn't love the bible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
mkbkn 1 minute ago [–]

Swastika is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.

I wonder why it'still considered "taboo" in the Western society in the information-age.