Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

St. Blaize posted:

Also my TV does not support DTS and I'd like to transcode the audio track, what's the easiest way to automate that?

Its probably simpler to solve that with either hardware or software at playback

My $50 androidtv dongle has no trouble downmixing to stereo on my bedroom tv, what are you using to play this stuff back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

norp posted:

My $50 androidtv dongle has no trouble downmixing to stereo on my bedroom tv, what are you using to play this stuff back?

Ya any of the AndroidTV, AppleTV, or Roku stuff made in the last few years should handle DTS just fine.

If you were talking Atmos or maybe even TrueHD/DTS-HD then it would be another story.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

norp posted:

Trying to play from the Plex WebOS app on my LG OLED which apparently dropped DTS support in the latest models. The tracks are DTS-X I think, it's just a few movies so I'm not too concerned.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm on Sonaar v3 and am very confused about how to tell it to prefer HDR releases over standard 2160p releases. Do I need to create a release profile?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I tend to do 4K stuff manually for the most part, maybe put SDR on the blocklist?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Finally getting started setting this stuff up to run in my NAS and let people request stuff to auto-add to Plex, figured I better ask questions now in case there isn't a later.

My understanding is that I would request something through various -arr clients, who query an Indexer. Indexer returns something(?) that gets passed to a downloader like Sabnzb which is configured to the Provider which actually has the files.

Do I want 2 Providers to cover both Giga and Highwinds? Is what I'm able to find more controlled by my Indexers? Can any Indexer talk to any Provider?

I guess my main question is how to combo things together to give the highest chance of finding and completing the widest range of Linux ISO's.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You generally just need two providers, on different backbones (the secondary should only be a 'block' account)

All nzbs should work on all news providers but you'll have differing levels of missing articles depending on the backbone it came from, how old it is and whether it's been served a takedown.

Most nzbs are now obfuscated, so they can't easily be "searched" on the newsgroup, generally the indexer has the keys to decode releases from particular groups.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Finally getting started setting this stuff up to run in my NAS and let people request stuff to auto-add to Plex, figured I better ask questions now in case there isn't a later.

My understanding is that I would request something through various -arr clients, who query an Indexer. Indexer returns something(?) that gets passed to a downloader like Sabnzb which is configured to the Provider which actually has the files.

Do I want 2 Providers to cover both Giga and Highwinds? Is what I'm able to find more controlled by my Indexers? Can any Indexer talk to any Provider?

I guess my main question is how to combo things together to give the highest chance of finding and completing the widest range of Linux ISO's.

The indexer returns an nzb which is where sab or nzbget get their info from.

Any indexer works with any provider.

I have no issues finding things with just frugalusenet and it's bonus server. That covers two different backbones, but i think the general consensus is pick an unlimited server and pick up some cheap blocks from other providers when they're on sale.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
What are you planning to use to "let people request stuff to auto-add to Plex"? I've heard of Ombi, but haven't really had time to try it out yet. Wasn't sure if there were other things out there doing the same thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ombi generally works well enough, I've had a few weirdness things occur but nothing too major. You could always sync peoples iMDB watchlists for a solution that doesn't involve adding another piece of software to the mix (movies only, mind).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

canyonero posted:

What are you planning to use to "let people request stuff to auto-add to Plex"? I've heard of Ombi, but haven't really had time to try it out yet. Wasn't sure if there were other things out there doing the same thing.

Ombi is the best game in town, IMHO. I really like the integration with Plex SSO.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Is there a reason to use Kodi over Plex anymore if I don't use any of the plug-in systems and just play files locally? This is coming from a xbmc-kodi die hard who always assumed that Plex was the "babby" player and Kodi was for the big boys. Am I deluding myself? I dont plan to transcode or stream, if that helps.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never looked back personally, especially as in order to get a single library in Kodi shared across multiple clients was a real headache when I left (I'm sure this is easier now, and there's Kodi/Plex plugins available). I have a Kodi client installed on a Firestick if I ever need it, and tbh I never really do. If you don't find yourself messing with the settings much (there's no ability to do things like force aspect ratios etc), and just want a reliable and decently laid out media system, then Plex is definitely worth a spin. No harm in installing it and seeing if you like it or not before taking the full plunge.

It's a bit arsey if you lose your internet connection though, but there are ways to resolve that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

canyonero posted:

Ombi for the time being. I've been following a tutorial post on the FreeNAS forums that lays out lists of commands to create jails and install and configure common apps like Plex, Son/Rad/Lid-arr, Transmission, Jackett etc. One of them was Ombi so I figured why not, though the current version of Ombi is incompatible with FreeBSD so I ended up just apt-getting it on my Ubuntu desktop.

There's also this from upthread:

Tanbo posted:

For those who want an alternative, or just another request method, there's another released a while ago, Requestrr. https://github.com/darkalfx/requestrr
https://i.imgur.com/zrb5i4j.png

Similar to Ombi, just discord bot based. Can interface with Ombi using users already setup or it's own, or directly with Radarr/Sonarr. It's an easy way to request without opening ports or firing up a VPN.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I just logged in to sabnzbd for the first time in a while and noticed that my monthly stats for my block accounts was measured in bytes... Newsgroup ninja is doing a really good job of having pretty much 100% completion

Edit: Looking back the last few months it looks like about 5% of my traffic generally falls through to my blocks, and Usenet prime appears to catch almost everything else

norp fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 27, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do providers usually have holiday sales? I went ahead and signed up with Frugal, they were already on the low end of cost and the only other provider I saw that came with both US and NL servers was Astraweb at almost double the cost. Ninja seems to be about average in price, if they knock off 25% or something around Xmas I wouldn't mind picking them up for an EU backbone.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Almost always

This thread generally has some of the good discount codes posted when they come up

I'm still on a $30/year sub for ninja for example

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Do providers usually have holiday sales? I went ahead and signed up with Frugal, they were already on the low end of cost and the only other provider I saw that came with both US and NL servers was Astraweb at almost double the cost. Ninja seems to be about average in price, if they knock off 25% or something around Xmas I wouldn't mind picking them up for an EU backbone.

NInja has the same US and EU servers as frugal but frugal has an extra backup server form Usenet farm which is a true EU backbone. you might be able to get ninja for $30 for a year but frugal is $40 or $50 with the same servers plus the extra farm backbone which is sort of a no brainer.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Black Friday is traditionally the time that most providers have big sales, but there are occasionally a flurry of sales throughout the year corresponding to various holidays. It's worth noting the the overall price for blocks and subscriptions has been dropping over time. So jumping on block deals which will last you years or subscriptions which last more than a year may not save you money in the long run.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
SABnzbd has released the first release candidate for the 3.0 version upgrade, which changes the code from python 2 to python 3:

https://sabnzbd.org/downloads

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
I think this is the cheapest unlimited deal right now: $25/year https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2020112&couponcode=reddit50

This one is still working too if you don't need unlimited: $15, 500GB/month for 24 months https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=20205002

You can save a few bucks by switching the currency to South African rand: ~$20.80 for unlimited https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2020112&lang=sa&couponcode=reddit50 doesn't work!

sedative fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 2, 2020

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Anyone got tips on getting Lidarr's search working? I've got it hooked up to nzb.su but it just fails to load any results or a useful error code. I also tried the Headphones VIP service but it was equally fail.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Look into Deemix, built from the ashes of glorious DeezLoader:

https://deemix.app

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

sedative posted:

I think this is the cheapest unlimited deal right now: $25/year https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2020112&couponcode=reddit50

This one is still working too if you don't need unlimited: $15, 500GB/month for 24 months https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=20205002

This has been up for awhile: https://billing.frugalusenet.com/signup/neQeZxl $40 per year Same servers as newsdemon plus you get 12 terabytes per year of Usenetfarm access as well. you cant even buy 12 terabytes from farm for that price. obviously depends on the coverage you need but i think every one of us has or wants multiple backbones these days.

the 500 gigs for 24 months is pretty interesting though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

pzy posted:

Look into Deemix, built from the ashes of glorious DeezLoader:

https://deemix.app

Seconded. For those who aren't familiar, Deemix allows you to pull lossless files from the Deezer streaming service using only free tier account. It's pretty incredible.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Seconded. For those who aren't familiar, Deemix allows you to pull lossless files from the Deezer streaming service using only free tier account. It's pretty incredible.

Wow. Got the docker spun up and going very quickly. This is pretty sick.

Am I missing something in regards to being able to see what it's currently downloading / status?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

Wow. Got the docker spun up and going very quickly. This is pretty sick.

Am I missing something in regards to being able to see what it's currently downloading / status?

You should have a bar called "< Downloads" on the right side. Click the "<" and it will pop out a queue with status.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ah, I missed that. Thanks.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I've been trying out deemix for a bit, but it seems to just get stuck and stop progressing the queue. Have any of you ran into that and maybe know some settings to change? I tried going down to just 1 concurrent dl, but that didn't seem to change anything.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Caveat: I don’t know anything about deemix or what it does.

That said, if you’re downloading a whole bunch of stuff, it’s pretty common to rate limit high usage IPs.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have trouble with nzbcat? Only getting 5 results back for a popular scifi movie from last holiday season. Seems light for lots of other releases too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pardot posted:

I've been trying out deemix for a bit, but it seems to just get stuck and stop progressing the queue. Have any of you ran into that and maybe know some settings to change? I tried going down to just 1 concurrent dl, but that didn't seem to change anything.

I've had this happen a few times too, a bit more often than with the former standalone client but that did it every once in a while as well. It's still basically beta software being hacked together from the ashes of the former client, try a different browser? Seems to work fairly consistently for me through Opera. Also this is why I don't queue up a bunch of stuff at once, just 3 or 4 items at a time to make sure they all finish.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It is pretty great, but it's also lacking in the quality control department. A lot of things aren't FLAC and some that are are obvious re-encodes from 128 MP3s. Just make sure you run Spek across anything you really care about to make sure it's legit:
https://appuals.com/how-to-determine-the-true-bitrate-of-any-audio-file/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sedative posted:

You can save a few bucks by switching the currency to South African rand: ~$20.80 for unlimited https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2020112&lang=sa&couponcode=reddit50

Are these still working? It tries to forward me to PayPal but I just sit on a white screen forever :(

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Takes No Damage posted:

Are these still working? It tries to forward me to PayPal but I just sit on a white screen forever :(

I just tried both deals on Firefox and they brought me to the PayPal payment page.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any good indexers for music?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

norp posted:

So I just used ffmpeg to transcode the audio to eac3 and that worked.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

It is pretty great, but it's also lacking in the quality control department. A lot of things aren't FLAC and some that are are obvious re-encodes from 128 MP3s. Just make sure you run Spek across anything you really care about to make sure it's legit:
https://appuals.com/how-to-determine-the-true-bitrate-of-any-audio-file/

I haven't run into this yet, but I'm sure it exists. One issue with the process documented in your link is that it doesn't work super well for music that wasn't recorded in the era when capturing 20-20,000hz was the norm. This is most music up until the late 60's and less mainstream music (indie stuff, especially punk) well after that. You probably wouldn't see as music of an extreme cutoff though.

I've done a fair amount of side-by-side spectrogram comparison between some existing mp3 copies I had and I could see additional details present in the Deezer flacs, but obviously every album may be different.

willroc7 posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any good indexers for music?

Not that I've ever heard of. I was a heavy user of Usenet to get music in the pre-NZB days (early 2000s) and things were very active, but they've really died down since then. I'm sure most of the mainstream releases get posted, but you're probably going to have better luck getting music from other sources.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 1, 2020

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I haven't run into this yet, but I'm sure it exists. One issue with the process documented in your link is that it doesn't work super well for music that wasn't recorded in the era when capturing 20-20,000hz was the norm. This is most music up until the late 60's and less mainstream music (indie stuff, especially punk) well after that. You probably wouldn't see as music of an extreme cutoff though.

I've done a fair amount of side-by-side spectrogram comparison between some existing mp3 copies I had and I could see additional details present in the Deezer flacs, but obviously every album may be different.

Not that I've ever heard of. I was a heavy user of Usenet to get music in the pre-NZB days (early 2000s) and things were very active, but they've really died down since then. I'm sure most of the mainstream releases get posted, but you're probably going to have better luck getting music from other sources.

Honestly, it's probably just helpful to know that at least for non-variable bitrates, you'd see a very sharp cutoff. It's harder with AAC/OGG where it can be variable bitrate but even then, you'd expect the "sea level" to be higher.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

Frugal is on sale for $36 a year https://billing.frugalusenet.com/signup/independentsday

You get their 3000 days of highwinds retention, 1 TB a month from usenet.farm, plus a 500 GB block from blocknews (highwinds) in case you need something really old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yeah it can take some interpretation to read the output in a meaningful way. That punk demo that only came out on cassette is going to be cut off at like 14kHz no matter what format it's in. I've found it most useful to verify a 320 MP3 is at least probably legit, if it has a hard 16kHz cutoff that's likely an up-code from a 128.

sedative posted:

Frugal is on sale for $36 a year https://billing.frugalusenet.com/signup/independentsday

You get their 3000 days of highwinds retention, 1 TB a month from usenet.farm, plus a 500 GB block from blocknews (highwinds) in case you need something really old.

Hm my year for $50 isn't looking so hot anymore :mad: I guess the play is to slowly collect sale subscriptions like that so in a few years you're grandfathered in to all the sweet deals at once?

Also, making sure I understand this properly: Since I already have Frugal I should be looking out for a provider from a different backbone like Eweka or Abavia right? Since resellers like Demon and Ninja are all looking at the same source they will have a lot of overlap in content? I think it's also not terrible to have multiple providers in a single backbone because some things that are incomplete on one may be finished up using another, but would it be better to have a thin spread across multiple backbones or build up more coverage on a single one?