Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

pumpinglemma posted:

Enjoy your last day without hell train. :)

It was either Hell Train, the stupid bracelet or Behaviour adjustment, which I don’t need cause I’ve got a billion Insight trainers. Feel like it was a bit of a Sophie’s choice.

EDIT: I’m getting worried about my lack of breaching abnormalities. Punishing Bird, Judgment Bird, Warm-Hearted Woodsman and Monk is not a great line up of abnormalities I need to suppress. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be getting Alephs soon :ohdear:.

Maybe it’s early with day 18/19, but dusk ordeals are coming soon and ahhhhhhhhh.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
The way the tempo of the game works, you tend to get abnormalities in cycles. Day 1-2 of a 5 day cycle have a higher chance of getting a ZAYIN-HE abnormality, with a WAW/ALEPH coming more often on day 3. Obviously the exact numbers change a bit, especially for the Central department, but in general you don’t need to worry about early week picks.

Obvious trap options aside, of course.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, my latest day and now all days to come:

Is it me or are Tiphereth's missions really easy for the point in the game they show up? Needing to end the day before the 8th/7th/6th Qliphoth cycle, when I'm hitting my quota in the 4th or so just by figuring out my new abnormalities, followed by "don't let something melt down", which has happened all of once to me the entire game so far. The latter, at least is more complicated by this point than it would have been earlier, but mostly they just serve to get in the way of the "survive a dusk ordeal" quest if you didn't do it immediately (which I didn't because I had barely any gear above teth level at that point).

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Tenebrais posted:

Ah, my latest day and now all days to come:

Is it me or are Tiphereth's missions really easy for the point in the game they show up? Needing to end the day before the 8th/7th/6th Qliphoth cycle, when I'm hitting my quota in the 4th or so just by figuring out my new abnormalities, followed by "don't let something melt down", which has happened all of once to me the entire game so far. The latter, at least is more complicated by this point than it would have been earlier, but mostly they just serve to get in the way of the "survive a dusk ordeal" quest if you didn't do it immediately (which I didn't because I had barely any gear above teth level at that point).

They're easy, but I think that's for two reasons? The first is that they want you to be able to unlock the research Tiphereth gives you ASAP. The second is that the game wants to limit your ability to farm a little bit, just before one of the things that will make that farming the most important.

Then again, everything about Tiphereth is kind of easy so maybe being underwhelming is just sort of Tiphereth's thing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Tipheret's missions are kinda redundant, eh? Cover stuff you should have already mastered when dealing with other Sephirot, eh? How curious. :v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Dunno what you're talking about, I've never once finished a day before Meltdown level 8 :v:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

You were not kidding TeeQueue. Once you get access to the Judgment Bird armour, working with them becomes a breeze, meaning easy access to an Aleph weapon and armour :unsmigghh:. Though I did have to spend HOB boosting my employee's Fortitude to 5 to prevent getting decimated by pale damage, it was certainly worth the risk. Also, Heart of Aspiration is a great tool abnormality that just gives you free health and attack speed so long as you aren't an idiot and return it. This also makes it invaluable for working Judgment Bird as there were times where my employee was on a sliver of health and would have died if not for the Aspiration boost.

Snow Queen farming is hilariously easy with my buffed employees and having them gain a free +6 to HP and SP is a godsend.

I see the train has now arrived at the station. Hopefully, it isn't too bad.... :ohdear:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

hahahahaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :unsmigghh:

Train.

Oh, fuckin' train.

I'll save the rant for the LP thread but train is my THAT-est abnormality. The only one I will actually, actively nope out of when it shows up.

Setting that aside, I hate to tell you this after you spent the LOB, but... Pale damage doesn't actually care about your fortitude. Whenever you take pale, it deals a flat % of your max HP.

Put simply: take 100 pale and you die, period.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My poor LOB :smith:. Well I feel a bit stupid now for spending it and picking the train. I didn’t really like any of my options. The bracelet seems finnicky as hell and behaviour adjustment seemed meh and had a chance to kill employees as well. I pretty much ignore the music box I picked up cause it can drive people crazy and devoting attention to it is not a luxury I have.

I’m now very scared of the train :ohdear:.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

the bracelet is simple: get its info like 20-30 seconds at a time then NEVER TOUCH IT outside of meltdowns. (Have an employee take it and put it back). Fortunately a lot of tools can be summed up as "mostly harmless unless you touch it".

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Is Hell Train at a level of “repository reset or suffer”? I feel like this game just makes me anxious about dealing with all these abnormalities and doing it correctly. I love it, but I’m terrified as well. If Im talking too much, let me know.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If it were me I would get all of its information and then eject it. Which is what I did.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I don’t really wanna reset because I have a good set of abnormalities (minus the woodsman. Monk is on the fence). I’m not ready for playing with Hell Train :ohdear:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

In theory, the train is perfectly manageable for any facility. It won't hurt you at all unless you screw up, and it can be an incredibly powerful tool when used correctly. Taking it, in your situation, is almost certainly the optimal thing to do.

In practice...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

jimmydalad posted:

Is Hell Train at a level of “repository reset or suffer”?

Yes. On my first full reset I dealt with it for 10 days (so beyond repository reset) and I ended up Day 1 resetting.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I forgot where my repository reset was last made. Hopefully it isn’t too far back. It would be a shame to lose out on Judgment bird just as I got their equipment.

How does Day 1 resetting work? I guess I could probably just research the train and then repository reset or day 1 reset or something. I didn’t realise the train was such a big deal.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

jimmydalad posted:

I forgot where my repository reset was last made. Hopefully it isn’t too far back. It would be a shame to lose out on Judgment bird just as I got their equipment.

How does Day 1 resetting work? I guess I could probably just research the train and then repository reset or day 1 reset or something. I didn’t realise the train was such a big deal.

Memory repositories are every five days, so day 1, day 6, day 11, day 16, and on and on. You don't get to choose, you can only go back to the most recent one. Day 1 resets work exactly like memory repository loads: you'll keep all unlocked observations, EGO gear, completed missions, and research, but your employees will return to the state they were at the time of the repository save. So on day 1 you'll be back to just your one starter hire.

In any case, I wouldn't go back before researching it. Ride the rails for a day and see how you feel then.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 28, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

You keep all mission progress, gear, and research levels.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

In all seriousness, I did reset a while after getting hell train, but mostly because I picked up a total rear end in a top hat of an aleph (The Silent Orchestra) on a subsequent day and couldn't see myself dealing with it successfully. If it was just hell train I'd probably have kept going. Also, there is some incredibly helpful research you can get if you can stick around until you've completed your fifth department.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Playing the game for the first time in at least 3 years, and I think this run wants me to have Justice out the wazoo. Day 2 gave me the choice of like F-02-44, O-01-12, or 1.76 MHz, went with the latter for being a lot easier to keep track of. The second choice was O-05-61, F-05-52, and Ppodae, again, took the one named here because I needed an instinct tamer and not capable on instagibs, and so far he hasn't mauled any of my employees too badly. Tool choice was the heart, the prophecy, and the bracelet, which could be useful just for being right down the hall from my first red damage abnomality. Only just going into day 4, sticking around training until 1.76 MHz breaches each day since it is kind of a pain to re-contain it.

Gear isn't great, but I've got a mod installed that makes sure all abnormalities have both types of gear, so my rookie on radio beating duty is currently carrying a dubstep gun around. This is nice.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

feeling suspicious of F-04-83
The instadeath condition seems surprisingly lenient, at least in the very early game. The effect doesn't last long, So I'm guessing this one is a gotcha for forgetful/inattentive managers?
edit: nevermind, yes, yes it is. :v:

Other than that; question about cut legacy content for folks who played it.
For the moment, legacy anomalies (O-05-48-Z), (O-05-65-H), and (O-05-31-W).
I can guess (O-05-48-Z) got the axe for being too powerful, but what were the other two like in practice?

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 29, 2020

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ruina 6/27 update (Wedge Office)- Phillip pulling 5 dice and 30-40 damage out with just an incomplete EGO really sells how strong they're supposed to be. :tviv: What a cool fight though, and this is just like halfway through? What's he coming back with next time, 10 dice?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 29, 2020

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well, back to about where I ended loop 1, this time without the rear end in a top hat button. It's amazing how much of a difference a few abnormalities make. 1.78 Mhz, Scorched Girl, and Mirror of Adjustment from control boosted through early game, then Information really delivered. Old Lady was an underwhelming attachment trainer who came at the perfect time to let me take Porccubus. When the wee witch showed up on day 8 I jumped for it, because Laetitia is a good girl who has done nothing wrong in her life.

Thanks to her gear, I can now solo Green Noons :getin:

The rear end in a top hat button tried to show up again on day 11 though! Said gently caress that and ended up with the Snow Queen, again filling a gap in my training. I'm waiting for things to go horribly wrong.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Don't sleep on Scorched Girl's weapon, either. It's only a TETH, but the sheer damage it pumps out with each shot will take a nice chunk out of most HE and even some WAW-level enemies. :getin:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So TIL I learned that Crumbling Armour's "gift" applies on ANY repression that you do. So now I have an employee stuck at Justice 4 (5 if you include the armour buff) and I probably have to use the mirror to hope I roll lucky cause otherwise, I have to spend 12 LOB which frankly is not something that I plan on doing. My first day with the train wasn't so bad but the attention you have to pay to it is taxing enough that it contributed to one of my employees going crazy because I forgot I put him on Theresia and he nearly died from the resulting black damage I inflicted to get him back. I know it's only going to get worse from here.

Additionally, how many employees should you aim to have on Day 20? I have 15 employees at the moment which is enough for me to touch every abnormality in case I'm crazy enough to try for an insanely high Qliphort Meltdown count. Heart of Aspiration can just be picked up and then never melts down. I love the Heart.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

3-per-department is a good general target to aim for.

Reminder that you could memory repository back to day 16 and get rid of train, so long as you do it before day 21. :v:

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Ruina 6/27 update (Wedge Office)- Phillip pulling 5 dice and 30-40 damage out with just an incomplete EGO really sells how strong they're supposed to be. :tviv: What a cool fight though, and this is just like halfway through? What's he coming back with next time, 10 dice?

It loving ruled. Related to Wedge Office (mechanics, not story) I'm struggling to figure out what the best use of Oscar's page and the cards you get from him are. Should I be focusing on trying to keep up my Light and keep cranking out 3-light pages, or do the usual affair of keeping a few Wait Up!'s handy? Maybe two Wait Up!'s, two of his zero-cost attack cards, some of the 2-cost draw pages, and the rest as 3 cost's? I have no idea how viable that would be.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

After weighing up losing out on Snow Queen EGO Gifts vs dealing with the train, I decided to memory repository. I just think that train is going to screw me in the long run.

EDIT: Oh wait, I keep Judgment Bird. Yaaaaaay.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So I could've picked up Snow Queen again, but decided not to. I already have her EGO gear and while her gift is strong, I probably need more gear and maybe some breaching abnormalities. All-Around Helper seemed to be a better choice than Naked Nest since it's a breaching abnormality and I'm pretty sure I have strong enough EGO suits to protect against red damage.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cool, I was digging this game but I heard there was a better translation on the way so I took a break to wait for it. Thanks for reminding me that it exists

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Oh god, that was certainly a day. After dealing with a Violet Noon, Clouded Monk had 2 Qliphort and my strongest employee, Mary, had 4 Prudence so I thought it would be ok if they did insight with the Monk. Unfortunately, I forgot I equipped the Clouded Monk's suit on them, which is weak to white damage. Suddenly, I get a notification that Mary had gone insane and her highest stat is Justice. She proceeded to free the Monk and then reduce Judgment Bird's Qliphort to 1. So I had to have half my facility who had black and white weapons chase after Mary while the rest of the facility that wasn't newbies fight the escaped monk.

Luckily, I somehow managed to salvage the situation cause I had good gear (thank you judgement bird) and the monk has a very predictable pattern of attacks, but I had to do a lot of micromanaging units as the monk would destroy their health. It's also very difficult to micromanage units when they're all clumped together, which is a big problem for me because nearly all my gear is melee ranged red damage. It was terrifying at the time, but amazing once I managed to resolve everything.

I also managed to get all of All-Around Helper's gear that day so all things considered, things could've been worse. Also, how good is You Must Be Happy?

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 29, 2020

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

It absolutely trivializes the mean gimmick of two specific things in the game, and is otherwise largely forgettable.

In a pinch you might be able to use it to get below a stat threshold for something like scarecrow, but that's untested and I don't know if it'll actually lower your level.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Something silly I had wanted to share since the start of the LP. Not going to spoil it because the LP already did, and it's a very minor lore thing:

The mirror that swaps stats around is great for training and saving LOB, and it's as safe as it can be, at worse you get a hit on your stats. The first time I got it, I sent someone to check it and possibly die trying, and after a couple of times I unlocked this tidbit:

Mirror of Adjustment posted:

"Looking into the mirror multiple times will gradually eat away one’s humanity until they become indistinguishable from a hollowed husk of a man, so caution is advised."

Now, the fun part was that the agent already had the thousand yard stare by default, but I thought it was a secondary effect of the mirror. I outright refused to use it until I read the LP, because I didn't want a base full of zombies reminding me how horrible I was.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I actually disagree with TeeQueue here - I think You Must Be Happy is excellent, though not quite on par with something like the portrait. It’s pretty easy to reliably get a day-long buff or debuff of 15-25 to all stats without anyone exploding, which is helpful in several situations:

- If you’re trying to safely work with a higher-level training anomaly that you can’t otherwise handle reliably, e.g. insight training with snow queen.
- If you’re trying to meet a (high or low) stat threshold to work with an anomaly without instadeath.
- If you’re about to do something risky combat-wise, like Gebura’s later missions or one of the big boy ordeals.
- And of course those two specific mean things...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

I actually disagree with TeeQueue here - I think You Must Be Happy is excellent, though not quite on par with something like the portrait. It’s pretty easy to reliably get a day-long buff or debuff of 15-25 to all stats without anyone exploding, which is helpful in several situations:

- If you’re trying to safely work with a higher-level training anomaly that you can’t otherwise handle reliably, e.g. insight training with snow queen.
- If you’re trying to meet a (high or low) stat threshold to work with an anomaly without instadeath.
- If you’re about to do something risky combat-wise, like Gebura’s later missions or one of the big boy ordeals.
- And of course those two specific mean things...

Honestly I agree with most of this, but the reason I call it 'forgettable' instead of 'excellent' is because of two things:

-As we've seen by now, I tend to absolutely shatter the leveling curve, so high level training/fighting big boys isn't a problem for me as long as the run hasn't been just completely void of any gear.
-I generally avoid the high stat threshold abnormalities, so doing something like lowering my stats on purpose to work Scarecrow just hasn't come up.

So it might depend a lot on your playstyle and facility build how much use you'll get out of it, which makes it an honestly interesting option as compared to a lot of the other tools.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Does the skill level/threat level ratio for training take into account modifiers like You Must Be Happy? Seems it could be useful to bottom out someone's stats and get them hammering away at One Sin or whatever for their easy level 1 gains. Or if it doesn't, boost a complete newbie to the nines and get them working Waws and Alephs out of the gate for big gains.

I should probably use that thing more than I do, although getting more than +20 or so is hard to do carefully.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I think the main use I would have for lowering stats would be working Warm-Hearted Woodsman, but I’ve got Laetitia who trains the same thing but infinitely better. Woodsman also is an rear end in a top hat I purposely ignore except for meltdowns. I am tempted to sacrifice a lemming to him so I can suppress him for Hod’s mission. On the other hand, I’d also have to suppress Bird of Judgement if I wanted to get that mission ASAP which is not happening.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Does the skill level/threat level ratio for training take into account modifiers like You Must Be Happy? Seems it could be useful to bottom out someone's stats and get them hammering away at One Sin or whatever for their easy level 1 gains. Or if it doesn't, boost a complete newbie to the nines and get them working Waws and Alephs out of the gate for big gains.

I should probably use that thing more than I do, although getting more than +20 or so is hard to do carefully.

YMBH's modifier is a red/blue number like E.G.O Gifts, which I know don't affect the level ratio for training, so it shouldn't.

Not even titles can actually affect the level modifier, and they're added directly in to the number without the game telling you they even exist. It basically is what it is.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Well, started playing this and managed to get to day 16 Where I got white night, triggered his transformation out of curiosity, and now I'm stuck with White Night

Am I justified in resetting to day 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So for Hod's mission do you have to suppress all four breaching abnormalities in one day, or can you knock it out a bit at a time? (Though I'm nowhere near that with only two breaching abnormalities so far)