Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

so I go to buy a quest today but the occulus store is sold out. BUT john lewis have one in stock, will i regret not getting it direct if there is problems?

I have to imagine the JL return policy is probably easy.

If you mean down the line I’d say absolutely no issues with a warranty claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bloodplay it again posted:

I picked this up along with VTOL (which I have yet to try) and it is a ton of fun. I only have gotten past the tutorial and messed around on the island solo but I can't wait to play it with a couple of friends this weekend. It combines the momentum of Tribes with the Worms rope, which is nothing short of fantastic. I almost wish this was a licensed Reboot game. Almost.

I was worried about motion sickness but didn't run into any issues at all. Getting a real high speed jump almost lurches my stomach like a swing set but not quite.

Nice, Jet Island is excellent.

Some tips: Your grappling rope has collision physics, so if you're going really fast and latch to a spire you will eventually curl into it like a yoyo. Very good for maneuvering.

A good way to get momentum is to use your jets to propel your swings. I mention this only because I've seen players just latch onto something thirty feet above them, and then while simply hanging, try and rocket up to it. The rope is doing nothing! But if you use your jets to fire parallel to the ground, you will make an arc.

Learning to feather the jets for precise to control is rewarding when you're comfortable going 1000mp/h

Also using the grapple to do 90 degree or 180 degree turns is big brain, don't grapple to close to you though or you'll just stop dead in your tracks.

Have fun being spiderman

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also, yanking the rope once it's tethered has an effect, you can use it to increase force, particularly when combined with centrifugal force

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Finally experimented with Oculus Link today and gave it a test after using Virtual Desktop for awhile.

It's definitely sharper - I can see the compression artifacts quite clearly in virtual desktop in dark scenes, and couldn't notice it at all in

Alyx seemed a little choppy on the tracking no matter what I did, but all other titles I tried seemed pretty smooth. Latency seemed about the same, which is a testament to virtual desktop.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Does Oculus usually have a summer sale to compete with Steam, or naw?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Penpal posted:

Does Oculus usually have a summer sale to compete with Steam, or naw?

I don’t think it’s ever that big. There might be stuff on sale during July 4th weekend. They seem to have run all their stores differently so I don’t know what the strategy is yet. The Go store had tons of sales, the quest one didn’t have sales for a long time but now they have some mediocre ones occasionally.

If you can hold out on one game you can wait but don’t expect huge discounts.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Has anyone tried Phantom: Cover ops yet? I would get it immediately if it wasn't an Oculus exclusive. I've had some major perf issues using reVive so I'm on the fence.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nuts and Gum posted:

Has anyone tried Phantom: Cover ops yet? I would get it immediately if it wasn't an Oculus exclusive. I've had some major perf issues using reVive so I'm on the fence.

I started playing that yesterday and I gotta say I'm super impressed with the kayak controls. I did a lot of canoeing and kayaking when I was a kid and it took me right back, every bit of it feeling really natural, even down to pushing off the bank and rocks and stuff with your paddle. I'd play a game like The Climb that was just focused on the kayaking alone it feels that nice, so that part I'm really impressed with.

I've only played the first level so far, and the stealth stuff, weapons, all feels pretty good. Its only the first level so I obviously haven't encountered what I'll assume are more difficult stages since it was still full of tutorial stuff, but even then it feels pretty cool hiding in some reeds, or under a walkway listening to guards chatter and looking for ways through/distracting them. Theres a mix of optional objectives, from data collection to assassinating certain high value targets. Theres various ways to approach and get through areas, but so far its been fairly linear in the overall direction, though, again I've only played the first level. Still, the feeling I get is you wouldn't want to play on a setting less than medium difficulty at a minimum. I feel like easy would be a cakewalk, but take that for what it is: someone who only played the first mission.

The graphics look nice, very moody, reflections off the water and lighting, and theres good ambiance with bugs occasionally buzzing in your ears and other croaky sounds of being on the water. I turned off all the comfort options, but I could see potentially some people getting a little motion sick maybe when turning since it is artificial turning technically, though since its all done through really good feeling paddling controls, I haven't personally found it the least uncomfortable. Performance wise I'm playing on a rift so no revive, but its run really silky smooth the whole time, I haven't noticed any instances of ASW kicking in, and thats with the graphics on high. I think being a game designed to also run on the quest has helped it be an optimized experience.

It seems like a decent length game so far, the first mission took me just over an hour, and looking at the 'freeplay' mode to go back to levels you've beaten in the options, theres 7 or 8 levels (i think its 7, but it might be 8 i've already forgotten after counting them). If they're similar in length to the first mission its probably a ~7 hour single player story. I guess that depends on your play style though, I tend to take stealth games slow and deliberate, scoping out new areas and looking for ways though. I don't usually prefer to go guns blazing, killing anyone in my way, which if you wanted to race through i'm sure it would be a lot shorter.

Overall... yeah only one mission in but I'd recommend it for anyone that likes stealth games, or kayaking. I'll update my thoughts on it after I've played more/beaten it, but so far i think its pretty good. A lot of the good comes from the novel control scheme which they pulled off really well- doing something new and unique in VR is half the fun of VR. Its certainly an example of gameplay that could never exist outside of vr which is always welcome.

Worst comes to worst you find my recommendation bullshit after the first mission and refund it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna have to try it out.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling
Wanna make the most of the Quest-native games while the pandemic makes it too expensive to build a VR PC.I've got Pistol Whip + The Tetris Effect which are both a lot of fun. I'm kind of put off by the price of a lot of these, combined with all the reviews being like "this game is 20 minutes long". Any recommendations? Ideally a game that isn't a shooting gallery.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A lot of the best VR games in my experience are stuff that works in short bursts but is also super replayable. Pistol Whip and Tetris Effect naturally fit that as rhythm and puzzle games, I'd recommend Gadgeteer as another puzzle game.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Eleven Table Tennis, Thrill of the Fight, Rec Room (free), VR Chat (free), Super Hot has a free demo, BigScreen Beta for your own movie theatre, Ultrawings is a chill flying game with a PilotWings vibe

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I actually spend a lot of time just chilling out at tables in Pokerstars VR (free), especially during lockdown.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

blunt posted:

I actually spend a lot of time just chilling out at tables in Pokerstars VR (free), especially during lockdown.

Pokerstars might just be my most played VR title (it’s a close tie with rec room). It’s evergreen, ever-changing and often has great social experiences that just happen organically. Coincidentally this is why I also love rec room.

Rec room especially gets better as you find people you like playing with and friend them. It makes it easy to lobby up and get into games with them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tom Guycot posted:

Phantom stuff

Don't forget to find the little collectable crocs :cool:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Am I missing something or is there a reason nobody mentioned Beat Saber

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pokerstars might just be my most played VR title (it’s a close tie with rec room). It’s evergreen, ever-changing and often has great social experiences that just happen organically. Coincidentally this is why I also love rec room.

Rec room especially gets better as you find people you like playing with and friend them. It makes it easy to lobby up and get into games with them.

Every time I've played Rec Room I've been surrounded by the microphone sounds of Actual Children and it becomes immediately clear that everyone in the session is a 12 year old kid with rich parents, which in turn makes me super uncomfortable so I quit out. Is there a way to find other grown adults in that game?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

The Grumbles posted:

Every time I've played Rec Room I've been surrounded by the microphone sounds of Actual Children and it becomes immediately clear that everyone in the session is a 12 year old kid with rich parents, which in turn makes me super uncomfortable so I quit out. Is there a way to find other grown adults in that game?

Been awhile, but there used to be an option to set matchmaking to adults. But that requires kids to be honest about their age. But you could report them for that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm thinking about getting a Quest at some point because I hate not being able to move my arms in VRChat. My laptop passed the Steam VR benchmark but I'm worried that with the way VRC is it's gonna chug.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Grumbles posted:

Every time I've played Rec Room I've been surrounded by the microphone sounds of Actual Children and it becomes immediately clear that everyone in the session is a 12 year old kid with rich parents, which in turn makes me super uncomfortable so I quit out

:same:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Penpal posted:

Eleven Table Tennis, Thrill of the Fight, Rec Room (free), VR Chat (free), Super Hot has a free demo, BigScreen Beta for your own movie theatre, Ultrawings is a chill flying game with a PilotWings vibe

On the VRChat front, some of the weirdest and funniest poo poo I've ever seen in my life has occurred just hanging out in The Great Pug in VRChat, I highly recommend it as a good starter world. Something about that place just coalesces this blend of a quiet pub to chat in, improv, and utter loving insanity. It's not something you'll see happen regularly, but if you hang out there long enough you will inevitably see something that will make you understand exactly what I'm talking about.

Zeether posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Quest at some point because I hate not being able to move my arms in VRChat. My laptop passed the Steam VR benchmark but I'm worried that with the way VRC is it's gonna chug.

VRChat will chug even on a good PC at times, because optimization is a dirty word to the swarms of avatar-makers doing nothing but uploading their MMD models right off deviantArt slapped with every fancy weapon prop and CPU-heavy they can find :v:. That said, you can do quite a bit to performance-limit what's getting shown, whether it's hiding avatars by their own performance quality thresholds, or just by blocking certain elements of avatars altogether (eg; shaders).

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, it's getting to where I have to put safety settings on maximum at times because I'll join a public server and someone will have annoying meme avatars/shader heavy stuff cloned everywhere.

Recently The Great Pug has been causing lag spikes for me too, but I feel like that's being caused by the aforementioned. Also I have to remember to clear the cache because that's one of the causes of the lag too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zeether posted:

Yeah, it's getting to where I have to put safety settings on maximum at times because I'll join a public server and someone will have annoying meme avatars/shader heavy stuff cloned everywhere.

Recently The Great Pug has been causing lag spikes for me too, but I feel like that's being caused by the aforementioned. Also I have to remember to clear the cache because that's one of the causes of the lag too.

You should just straight block shaders and particles on all user ranks, it easily stops like 90% of generally nuisances, crashes, and system-chugging.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Am I missing something or is there a reason nobody mentioned Beat Saber

I was honestly going to put it in my list, but I thought about it and didn't add it because new VR owners have probably read through the thread and there are a million posts saying "get beat saber, don't think just buy" (which everyone should do)

and there have been a number of people who pop up asking for advice on what games to get for their new headsets and they get kinda weird about beat saber in particular, "Oh yeah and do NOT recommend getting beat saber because I don't think I'd like it" which is like, fine?

It's my fav VR game and literally the one everyone should get. Straight up it should be packed in with every headset like Mario was with the NES :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Grumbles posted:

Maybe I’ve been lucky or maybe I have the adult only filter on? Not sure

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
gently caress, I think one of my Vive wands has died for good this time. It just stopped tracking the other night, and I figured it was just one of the ribbon cables popping loose again inside. Reseated the ribbon cables, and it'll connect with a green light to SteamVR, but no tracking. Anyone got an ideas or am I gonna have to start hitting up eBay? :sigh:

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Boneworks feels so weird. I probably shouldn’t have started it right after finishing Alyx. Any suggested tweaks to make the learning curve smoother? Everything feels strange, it might be that stick locomotion doesn’t work for me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

gently caress, I think one of my Vive wands has died for good this time. It just stopped tracking the other night, and I figured it was just one of the ribbon cables popping loose again inside. Reseated the ribbon cables, and it'll connect with a green light to SteamVR, but no tracking. Anyone got an ideas or am I gonna have to start hitting up eBay? :sigh:

IF you can't get it to work I've got two fully-working Vive wands right now that I don't use. I still have a whole Vive itself but it's given up it's deluxe audio strap to my wife's Quest, its 1.0 Lighthouses to my Index and now it along with the wands just sits.

I'm not interested in making money on them so you let me know if you need them and I can give you a sexy GOON DISCOUNT for one or both if you'd like.

ephori posted:

Boneworks feels so weird. I probably shouldn’t have started it right after finishing Alyx. Any suggested tweaks to make the learning curve smoother? Everything feels strange, it might be that stick locomotion doesn’t work for me.

The correct way to do this was to play Boneworks first, go "heh neat" then play Alyx. I haven't gone back to Boneworks since and I honestly don't know if I could easily.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

ephori posted:

I was about to post almost the exact same thing. I played Alyx because it came free with the Index then started Boneworks. While the continuous movement is fine for me (that's how I played Alyx mostly), it's having a tangible in-game body that fucks me up. I'll bend down to grab something out of a crate and my loving knees, which don't correspond to my real life knees at all, start pushing the crate away. And more issues like that. I'm still enjoying it but I really wish they'd add an option to remove the in-game body, it doesn't seem to add anything to the game.

Re: the movement, my only advice is to keep with it and you'll get your "VR legs" soon enough. That threw me off at first too but I'm totally used to it now.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 29, 2020

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

El Jeffe posted:

While the continuous movement is fine for me (that's how I played Alyx mostly), it's having a tangible in-game body that fucks me up. I'll bend down to grab something out of a crate and my loving knees, which don't correspond to my real life knees at all, start pushing the crate away. And more issues like that. I'm still enjoying it but I really wish they'd add an option to remove the in-game body, it doesn't seem to add anything to the game.

Yeah, this is totally it. I couldn’t put my finger on it but it’s the body disconnect.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
I just beat Boneworks on my new Quest headset as the suggestion to beat before touching Alyx so... Hooray!
That last part of Boneworks sucked, and I really don't know if I will care for the sandboxes.

Excited for the future of VR though from what I have finally gotten to experience

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c-4su17jqk&t=170s

Oh no... OH GOD NO, MY ADDICTION HAS COMES TO VR :stwoon: (Taito's announced they're making Puzzle Bobble VR)

KakerMix posted:

IF you can't get it to work I've got two fully-working Vive wands right now that I don't use. I still have a whole Vive itself but it's given up it's deluxe audio strap to my wife's Quest, its 1.0 Lighthouses to my Index and now it along with the wands just sits.

I'm not interested in making money on them so you let me know if you need them and I can give you a sexy GOON DISCOUNT for one or both if you'd like.

Cheers for this. I've got a line on a pair of "PARTS ONLY" ones via eBay that I suspect just bricked themselves during a firmware update, as the listing says they've got a red light when connecting (they're also probably a fair bit closer as I'm in Australia). If it looks like they're no-go I might well take you up on them :tipshat:.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Kind of confused, does Beat Saber need a cable to play on Oculus Quest? I bought it on the Oculus app thinking that would let me install it directly on the Quest but all I'm seeing is an option to install it to a hard drive and play it with the USB cable. Is there a PC version and a Quest native version and I bought the wrong one? The only thing that shows up in the VR home menu is the demo it came with and still says to buy the full game if I use that.

I have limited space and playing with a big cable hanging in front of my face would be kind of inconvenient.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Kind of confused, does Beat Saber need a cable to play on Oculus Quest? I bought it on the Oculus app thinking that would let me install it directly on the Quest but all I'm seeing is an option to install it to a hard drive and play it with the USB cable. Is there a PC version and a Quest native version and I bought the wrong one? The only thing that shows up in the VR home menu is the demo it came with and still says to buy the full game if I use that.

I have limited space and playing with a big cable hanging in front of my face would be kind of inconvenient.

You only need a cable if you’re going to do pcvr with it. Native beat saber exists

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Unfortunately Beat Saber is one of the games that's NOT crossbuy, so you probably got the PC version by accident. You should be able to refund it, and this is the store page for the quest version: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/...m0DpM2CC2hUcd9K

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It pisses me off how they have pushed the Crossbuy feature in all their games... except Beat Saber. :/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It made sense for the company that made it since it was basically free money, but yeah now that Facebook bought it I don't really see a good reason not to make it crossbuy

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Imagine making a game where you chop at blocks to the tune of lovely electro pop and a few years later loving Facebook buys you out. What a world.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Still, the feeling I get is you wouldn't want to play on a setting less than medium difficulty at a minimum. I feel like easy would be a cakewalk, but take that for what it is: someone who only played the first mission.

I did the AI on Phantom, and I would recommend playing on Hard if you're comfortable with the movement mechanics and looking for challenging stealth at all. Hard is how I would have balanced normal mode, but the point was made that a lot of players will find just moving accurately non-trivial, so we left a good chunk of extra leeway.

Also it gives you a better score multiplier :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Imagine making a game where you chop at blocks to the tune of lovely electro pop and a few years later loving Facebook buys you out. What a world.

Well yeah because you can mod in all sorts of music, like lovely electro pop with japanese lyrics

Honestly if I have learned anything about myself it's that I actually love rhythm games but the music selection is extremely important. Beat Saber went from a good game to one of my favorites when I modded in. Guitar Hero/Rock band I liked from day 1 because they put in the effort to have some good songs and then DLC for more good songs (The Beat Saber DLC is not good)