Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Season 3 is great. :awesomelon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Season 3 of Westworld is the one they talked up as the one they sort of pitched, and what they saw the series as building towards.

Season 3 of Westworld is PoI. They finished making PoI and thought to themselves "How could we make more Person of Interest?".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Season 3 isn't as blindingly awful as season 2 generally was, but it also doesn't have the highs of season 2 (the episode with Delos, and the episode with Akecheta). It's mostly just boring, but Aaron Paul's good? Who cares, though, nothing really memorable happens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd watch Aaron Paul do his taxes. He's that captivating.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Are they gonna remove the episode of Mad Men where Roger wears blackface

It's completely different. It's not a joke set in modern day its depicting a racist attitude set in 1963.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I'd watch Aaron Paul do his taxes. He's that captivating.

With the way things are going, shows like "Watch Aaron do taxes at home!" are going to be what we're getting.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have enjoyed Perry Mason so far.

I'm not big into the deep Perry Mason law but the "Feel free to step in here" to the lawyer was pretty funny.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks, Thin Lizzy here to say The Boys will be back in town September 4th.

Now that DC Universe has an extensive comics back catalog, I wish they'd just split off the TV because an app that is intended to show both streaming video and digital comic books turns out to do neither very well.

Also did you know that the Death in the Family storyline, the one where people called in to vote to kill off Robin #2, is actually the B story to a tale about how the Joker becomes the UN Ambassador for Iran. It's really bad!

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 29, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Also did you know that the Death in the Family storyline, the one where people called in to vote to kill off Robin #2, is actually the B story to a tale about how the Joker becomes the UN Ambassador for Iran. It's really bad!

How can you tell people this awesome tidbit and not show them the purple turban!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was more weirded out by the photo-realistic portrait of Ayatollah Khomeni who traveled to Ethiopia in secret for the express purpose of hiring The Joker.

This story also involves the Joker selling a portable missile platform armed with a nuclear ballistic missile to Hezbollah who then immediately targets Tel Aviv

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there a panel where Joker goads to Batman about his diplomatic immunity and Batman is angry he can't punch him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't read the last issue because it was so bad, but actually it's Superman who tells Batman he can't punch the Joker because of diplomatic immunity.

Apparently Joker forfeits that privilege when he tries to poison gas the General Assembly.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

esperterra posted:

e: sidenote is El Rey even still around bc I haven't heard much of anything about shows on it

I see it on the channel guide when flipping through to see what's on, but it looks like it mainly shows reruns of 80s/90 action shows like A-Team and Xena.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

zoux posted:

I didn't read the last issue because it was so bad, but actually it's Superman who tells Batman he can't punch the Joker because of diplomatic immunity.

Apparently Joker forfeits that privilege when he tries to poison gas the General Assembly.

Superman is such a narc

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Reminds me, as someone who thought WW season 1 was good but vastly overrated by many, and season 2 to be a disaster outside of a few episodes, how did season 3 turn out? Is it worth watching?

No. Season 1 is the only season that's good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Escobarbarian posted:

Every single post or tweet about this I’ve seen from a black person has been “stop distracting from the conversation about reforming police and the wider systemic issues prevalent in America with this weaksauce bullshit” so :shrug:

Yeah it's true, people aren't protesting 30 Rock out there. They're protesting things that are much more unambiguous.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zoux posted:

Like Batman really gives a gently caress about the law

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know Vice is generally bad, but Hate Thy Neighbor is very good and it's leaving hulu in 9 days so watch it while you can

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I will say the one good thing about Hulu’s UI is the expiring tab. Though they gently caress that up by only putting stuff you’ve already started in there, so you can’t find out something is about to leave and then power through the whole thing before it does.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, side bar, I'm not sure why something being pretty and expensive is particularly notable. Quite a lot of TV is pretty and expensive, but at the end of the day I'd rather watch something cheap but dramatically compelling - like, loving Vagrant Queen of all things - than another season of Westworld.

Thank you. I swear this is why half of "Peak TV" is even notable these days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dark s3 runs into the problem a lot of shows that cast kids, the kids age faster than time passes on the show.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been watching Bojack Horseman with my wife, and we're up to the second season now. When it first came out I thought it was just one of those Adult Swim type meme shows, and I guess it is to a certain extent, but it manages to be really funny while also getting into some unexpectedly real poo poo. I thought the episode near the beginnining of S2 where Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter get in a fight was really well-written, because it manages to be the exact kind of argument that married couples have all the time while also being comical and absurd. I also liked how it resolved in a realistic way without the usual relationship-ending revelations you tend to see in episodic TV melodrama. Bojack himself being a total disaster of a person that you still somehow want to succeed despite his constant self-sabotage is both entertaining and frustrating to watch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh man you're in for a treat. One of the best shows on television.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just want to confirm, those celebrity zoom calls (the Hamilton/Fallon) one being the latest are not actually done live on zoom are they? It's each person recording each of their parts individually and an editor is sticking it all together right? All of the timing would be completely off if even 3 people tried to do something in sync with each other yeah?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
They probably have very expenisve dedicated lines installed at home, a lot of celebrities have high quality voice lines for interviews or even recording from home.

Also, Zoom makes its money from higher quality products, not what you and I use. They probably also just record on their side as well to make it easier to edit together.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've seen a few bands pull off live shows streaming with members in multiple locations. It wasn't over zoom, but it could be done.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Perry Mason must have one of the most impressive casts in TV history. I already thought it was crazy in the pilot, then Ep2 rolls around and Tatiana Maslany, Lili Simmons, and Stephen Root show up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CITIZENS OF THE TV/IV! I COME TO YOU WITH GREAT NEWS!

Your forums moderator, OldSenileGuy, has reached the Final Four of the Official 2020 Something Awful Hunger Games! They have fought a long hard road to get here, but now YOUR district, District 8: TV/IV & Cinema Discusso has representation here at the end! And it wasn't an easy path either. OldSenileGuy started out strong, but up until today, has been in a bit of a slump. However, now he is right at the doorstep of becoming not just your Tribute, but your CHAMPION. We will be crowning the winner tomorrow! Come cheer on and support your Tribute!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RIP Carl Reiner :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arist posted:

RIP Carl Reiner :(

gently caress :(

Mel Brooks is gonna be crushed :smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

98 though, and sharp as a tack until the very end, we should all be so lucky

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

His tweets making GBS threads all over Trump was good stuff.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

JOHN CENA posted:

CITIZENS OF THE TV/IV! I COME TO YOU WITH GREAT NEWS!

Your forums moderator, OldSenileGuy, has reached the Final Four of the Official 2020 Something Awful Hunger Games! They have fought a long hard road to get here, but now YOUR district, District 8: TV/IV & Cinema Discusso has representation here at the end! And it wasn't an easy path either. OldSenileGuy started out strong, but up until today, has been in a bit of a slump. However, now he is right at the doorstep of becoming not just your Tribute, but your CHAMPION. We will be crowning the winner tomorrow! Come cheer on and support your Tribute!

Come and cheer me on, citizens. I can only defeat the scourge of anime and books with YOUR support!

In the span of 10 minutes I've gone from not knowing that this was a thing, to wanting to win more than anything else in the world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm playing Dishonored and one of the NPCs really sounds like Brad Dourif, and I'm like, I doubt they spent Brad Dourif money on the voice cast for this game so I checked the imbd page and

:stare:

https://twitter.com/alisonwillmore/status/1277978616094056455

lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The second game has Rosario Dawson and Vincent D'Onofrio!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Some celebs love VA work, they don't charge a super premium or anything all they have to do is record lines for a few days and get a massive paycheck.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

pentyne posted:

Some celebs love VA work, they don't charge a super premium or anything all they have to do is record lines for a few days and get a massive paycheck.

Yeah Dourif most likely has a studio built into his home from his Chucky money.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Who could forget Brad Dourif's iconic performance in Myst III Exile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3iOWWIRtg

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First 3 eps of new Twilight Zone were really good, definitely a big improvement. Watching ep 4 now though and it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

I'm playing Dishonored and one of the NPCs really sounds like Brad Dourif, and I'm like, I doubt they spent Brad Dourif money on the voice cast for this game so I checked the imbd page and

:stare:

Prey has Walton Goggins voice a random NPC who shows up a single time and has like a dozen lines of dialogue, Arkane really love their inexplicable celebrity voice acting.

Escobarbarian posted:

First 3 eps of new Twilight Zone were really good, definitely a big improvement. Watching ep 4 now though and it sucks

I liked it a lot more than the last season finale of Black Mirror that dealt with a similar subject because it's a third as long and the mechanism of unstoppable, uncontrollable applause from everyone around you at all times was a lot cooler and creepier than a person's consciousness being uploaded into a robot and tormented for like the sixth or seventh time.

Also (end of episode spoiler) one thing the new show does that the original never really did is get meta with how they use The Narrator and the episode ending with him just worldlessly clapping with everyone else was so good.