Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mecha. Walkers. Giant robots. Wanzers. Mobile Suits. These beasts have many names, and come in all shapes and sizes, but mecha are arguably the greatest element of all of science fiction. This is a thread to share and worship these utterly impossible steel beasts of all shapes and sizes.

Metal Gear Rex may be one of the earliest mecha many Americans experience via the timeless classic Metal Gear Solid. Beastly, asymmetrical, and resembling a dinosaur more than anything else, the Rex is an instantly timeless design with its nuclear railgun and radar dish. The steel beast that kicked off an entire generation of American fans of mecha fanatics. Metal Gear will forever be enshrined in history, and the final confrontation with Rex is a large part of that chronicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch6ls9J8SfI
That's no Gundam! It would be easy to post the Gundam, so I didn't. I cheated. I posted the Zaku, the working man's mobile suit. The Stormtroopers of Gundam, these poor bastards have seen dozens of variations and have constantly evolved (Geara Doga gang check-in) over the decades of the Universal Century. There's something to be said about how the Zaku is so iconic and relatable - the pipes, the Soviet inspired drum machinegun, the desire to see the underdog come out on top. Gundams come and go, but the Zaku is forever.

On a side note, I actually had the experience of going to Tokyo and being strapped into a VR cockpit of one of these babies - joysticks, pedals, force feedback and all, including a pre-mission touchscreen planning table. And let me tell you - having a cute Japanese woman in Gundam uniform asking who wanted to be "The Red Comet," and then walking me through the controls, including the Heat Hawk, was absolutely one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Oh I love this piece of poo poo. The "APU." Virtually defenseless, nothing more than two walking machinegun turrets, and basically completely unable to fight in close-combat, it's honestly impressive how poorly designed this fucker it, and how quickly it gets utterly humiliated in the worst of The Matrix movies against it's tentacled adversaries. It's so stupid, I felt like I was obligated to throw this shitheap into the OP.

The infamous Mad Cat is one of the few mechs to break through the Battletech franchise and emerge in the general nerd culture lexicon. Essentially a walking chicken with every blaster, missile launcher, and cannon under the sun, you can't not adore this fucker's nigh iconic design. The dream of sitting in VR at the helm of one of these babies and unleashing LRM spam cannot be understated. Also, you should be playing Battletech, the tabletop game, if you're not already. There's a thread in TG for it, and it's one of the easiest and cheapest tabletop games to jump into - I should know, having spend probably thousands of dollars as a campaign GM.

I'm cheating again and posting another Battletech mech - the Atlas. A walking brick with a skull for a head. One of the most infamous Assault mechs, loaded for bear with cannons, rockets, and lasers. Did you know it's also one of the most efficient scouting mechs of all time? Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFzVEM8pMrk
The Atlas is very dumb. The Atlas is very dummy boi thicc. The Atlas is forever.

Cherno Alpha is a walking Nuclear reactor that was done dirty by the crapitalist Kaiju propaganda film Pacific Rim. Nothing can defeat a walking nuclear reactor, especially one so good at punching. This film is non-canon. All glory to the comrades of the Soviet Mechaunion.

Anyone familiar with Warhammer 40k is familiar with the Dreadnought and its infinite variants. A walking coffin armed to the teeth, nothing is more terrifying than "even in death I still serve." Utterly non-practical and just over the top comical, it earns a special spot on this list for how over the top it is.

It's a Jet! It's a Mecha! It's a Valkyire! The VF-1S Valkyrie from Robotech/Macross is a brilliant design of trying to bridge the gap between Ace Combat and Gundam. I grew up learning about the series from the Gamecube game Robotech Battlecry, and every attempt since to dive back in has been met with me growing sick of pop music, but it's still a fantastic mecha design.

To wrap this up, I'm going to cheat again and the best Mecha of all time is the MS-18E Kampfer from Gundam: War in the Pocket.

DUAL PUMP ACTION SHOTGUNS BAY-BAAAAY

Please do go into effortposts about your favorite mechs, be it live-action or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tallgeese 1, and its grandson, Leo.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Our friends' hopes and dreams are etched into its body, transforming the infinite darkness into light!
Unmatched in Heaven and Earth, one machine equal to the gods!

TRANSCENDENT SUPER-SPIRAL DREADNOUGHT GANMEN

CHOUGINGA GURREN LAGANN

We're gonna show you the power... of the human race.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ike! Cyflash!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1WmeIKO4vI

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh no did this become a Super Robot Wars thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKVCyEv6s3g

Posting the end of the Battletech PC Game campaign in exchange for salvation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Awaken, Zeorymer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8pFD8_-dRw

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

What the hell is a Mad Cat supposed to be here? All I see in that particular picture is a Timber Wolf.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Taintrunner posted:

It's a Jet! It's a Mecha! It's a Valkyire! The VF-1S Valkyrie from Robotech/Macross is a brilliant design of trying to bridge the gap between Ace Combat and Gundam. I grew up learning about the series from the Gamecube game Robotech Battlecry, and every attempt since to dive back in has been met with me growing sick of pop music, but it's still a fantastic mecha design.

gently caress you're VF-1S, give me a VAF-6 Alpha fighter, WITH VFB-9 Beta fighter booster.

Why?

Because big booty is in right now, and this mother had the biggest booty:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Centaur robots are cool!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What is this from?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'd like to speak for a moment about the fact that Zeon canonically fielded sixty nine separate versions of the Zaku class mobile suit.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Zaku are cool, but GM's are better. :colbert:

GM Sniper II :hellyeah:

reignofevil posted:

I'd like to speak for a moment about the fact that Zeon canonically fielded sixty nine separate versions of the Zaku class mobile suit.

Nice.

Although, is it bad that I thought about this for a minute and came up with like 20 versions of the Zaku II alone just off the top of my head? I haven't kept up with the franchise in years, so between Origin, MSVs, and everything else that's come along, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already up to triple digit variants being fielded before and during the war...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

What is this from?

Fafner in the Azure. Good-rear end anime.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
MechaGodzilla!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Animal-Mother posted:

MechaGodzilla!

Let's make him... super

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Droyer posted:

Centaur robots are cool!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
oh yes, I am familiar with robot cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcX2DHD2zXI

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gotta love Godmars and it's lovely animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLmJVvDQKs4

It just stands there... menacingly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gundams, Valkyries, Mechs-- so small.

This thread calls for something... big.

:cool:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

McSpanky posted:

goddamn those piston arms are so fuckin cool

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You're a corrupt dog... on the city's leash!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

McSpanky posted:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

Our friends' hopes and dreams are etched into its body, transforming the infinite darkness into light!
Unmatched in Heaven and Earth, one machine equal to the gods!

TRANSCENDENT SUPER-SPIRAL DREADNOUGHT GANMEN

CHOUGINGA GURREN LAGANN

We're gonna show you the power... of the human race.

I like how the Gurrens keep getting bigger until you have one that's literally bigger than the universe.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

McSpanky posted:

This is the true contender.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Cartoons? 3d models? No thank you. How about some motherfuckin' stop-motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKqKggYdDE

and some behind the scenes pics-

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Are transformers mechas?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

grate deceiver posted:

Are transformers mechas?

Absolutely, they just cut out a middleman.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grate deceiver posted:

Are transformers mechas?

That's clearly a firearm

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Taintrunner posted:

That's clearly a firearm

So a windmill can be a mecha, but a gun can't? Nice racism bro

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Look at this bad rear end motherfucker. It's water cooled and powered by nukes. It's amphibious. It's got claws that rip and claws that tear. It shoots lasers out of its loving chest. It's the motherfucking GOGG and it's gonna gently caress your poo poo up. Launched an entire generation of amphibious mobile suits none of which are as fat and none of which tear things apart with their bare hands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This is Megas XLR, the giant robot from the series of the same name that was criminally underrated by Cartoon Network and eventually written off on taxes, possibly now owned by the US government. Yes, that's a car for its head, a functional 1970 Plymouth Barracuda.

It's a loving parody of giant mecha anime, and more or less what you get when a prototype superweapon of a giant mecha is sent back in time minus its cockpit to the 20th century for a strangely gifted gearhead to restore to working order. Its control interface may belong in the crappy tech thread, as it involves the controls of the car, about every video game controller, and all manner of context-sensitive and occasionally fourth wall breaking buttons, and in a pinch if the car is removed it can be controlled via DDR machine. (not so useful when its pilot is an overweight out of shape goon) Even Coop, who built the entire interface, has trouble with it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is Megas XLR, the giant robot from the series of the same name that was criminally underrated by Cartoon Network and eventually written off on taxes, possibly now owned by the US government. Yes, that's a car for its head, a functional 1970 Plymouth Barracuda.

It's a loving parody of giant mecha anime, and more or less what you get when a prototype superweapon of a giant mecha is sent back in time minus its cockpit to the 20th century for a strangely gifted gearhead to restore to working order. Its control interface may belong in the crappy tech thread, as it involves the controls of the car, about every video game controller, and all manner of context-sensitive and occasionally fourth wall breaking buttons, and in a pinch if the car is removed it can be controlled via DDR machine. (not so useful when its pilot is an overweight out of shape goon) Even Coop, who built the entire interface, has trouble with it.

This show was amazing and if anyone from cartoon network and or secret government black site is listening I'd pay literally all the dollars if you brought it back.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lancer rules and this guy isn't even labeled or given rules, it's just a splash art in between pages. It's presumably something Horus related but who knows maybe it's a GMS Everest.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

Lancer rules and this guy isn't even labeled or given rules, it's just a splash art in between pages. It's presumably something Horus related but who knows maybe it's a GMS Everest.

That's a very Evangelion looking head and it's even got the 'angel magic technology activated' halo thing going on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Taintrunner posted:

Oh I love this piece of poo poo. The "APU." Virtually defenseless, nothing more than two walking machinegun turrets, and basically completely unable to fight in close-combat, it's honestly impressive how poorly designed this fucker it, and how quickly it gets utterly humiliated in the worst of The Matrix movies against it's tentacled adversaries. It's so stupid, I felt like I was obligated to throw this shitheap into the OP.

I re-watched The Second Renaissance portion of the Animatrix the other night and it actually shows you what these things looked like before they were stripped down to just their limbs and guns, back when humanity still had control over Earth and lost the war to the Machines. They looked even stupider and more unwieldy than they do in Revolutions. It's great.

As for a proper contribution to the thread, I submit

Weltall-ID-. This thing is so OP it picks up battleships 10x its size and throws them about like they were toys, can knock the limbs of the otherwise strongest Gear in the world in a second, and can punch floating cities out of the sky without even trying.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Hey hey mother fuckers it's the god damned Gustav. What exactly is a Gustav? It's a zoid, basically an animalistic mecha with a consciousness of its own that also gets piloted around by people sometimes. The Gustav has always been an armadillo in my head but closer research shows it is actually an insectoid design based on a wood louse. This baby is all about two things, defense and hauling cargo. Hell, most of them don't even have any guns mounted on them! (This one does though).

Here is the Gustav owned by one of the main characters of the Zoids Chaotic Century anime, Moonbay. It is helpfully hauling around the more agile and exciting zoids from the series and without its help none of the cool things those zoids did from episode to episode would ever have happened because they never would have made it through the endless anime desert! Zoids Wiki says this bad mofo can haul up to 250 tons without losing any speed which doesn't make any logical sense at all but who gives a poo poo the engine is basically either magic or else the Zoid is consciously limiting itself so as to not make the other Zoids feel bad when it rides past them unfettered by cargo at ten thousand miles per hour.

Other fun facts about Gustavs-

1) Bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. Also the controls switch sides a ton during the course of the anime. Art mistakes you say? I say it's just a damned good bot and even physics step aside for it.

2) Has the thickest armor of pretty much any Zoid that isn't piloted by some kinda evil lunatic in a dinosaur shaped robot

3) When it's driving the shell pieces move back and forth past eachother in a cool bug-kinda way that I think looks awesome.

4) The armored shell can close over the unarmored bits in "defense mode" and very few other zoids have even a chance of fuckin with you when you hit that panic switch.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 2, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9OolcoJKpk

I'm sad the fourth J9 series never came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

anime sucks

the only good fightin' robots are from american cinema

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)