Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Black Griffon posted:

How is the base building aspect? Can you make yourself a cozy, custom made home?
It's functional. I spent my time on building factory stuff, but there's a small amount of decorative-only items there although no fireplace so imo no coziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

ATOM RPG or Wasteland 2?

Underrail.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've been meaning to ask this for almost twenty years, but why do Counter-Strike people (I think I've seen this in other games? I don't generally play multiplayer) constantly switch between weapons whenever they're moving anywhere? It's not 100% of people, but goodness it feels like four out of five people do it. Rapid pistol-rifle-knife-pistol-rifle-knife as they run. Does this provide any benefit? Is it just the effects of having chugged eleven Rockstars?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I know that having a knife out makes you run faster, dunno about other stuff.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i got battletech and when youre making your character it gives you the option to choose your pronoun including "they/them"
i checked the reviews after i finished playing for the day expecting it to be filled with tons of negative reviews because of that but its mostly positive. did this one just fly under the radar of the rightwing outrage dweebs?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kly posted:

i got battletech and when youre making your character it gives you the option to choose your pronoun including "they/them"
i checked the reviews after i finished playing for the day expecting it to be filled with tons of negative reviews because of that but its mostly positive. did this one just fly under the radar of the rightwing outrage dweebs?

It got its fill of rage during release, not big enough to really make a dent on the game's lifetime record.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
and steam filters out review bombs now I think

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why and how did it impress you? I know very little about it.

Don't be a dick, come on! Why is this game bad? How is Beginner's Guide better? Use your words, please, otherwise you're just being rude for no reason.

e: ah, thanks for the explanation.

Icey is very good and Beginner's Guide is ok. If you like side scrolling beat em ups, you'll probably dig Icey. If that's not your jam, then you're going to bounce off it hard. Shrecknet just seems to prefer walking sims like Beginner's Guide and slower paced games in general. As the first game from an unknown Chinese indie dev studio and a budget release, it's fantastic.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

people were so god drat mad over Battletech, believe me. as a they/them the rage sustained me.

also Strix I feel like we've talked about this before but yes a thousand times to FF6 being one of the best snes games made (imo one of the best games ever made) FF10 being wonderful (to Zanarkand still makes me cry) and FF12 being a favorite. good opinions, yes.

Ghostlight posted:

It's functional. I spent my time on building factory stuff, but there's a small amount of decorative-only items there although no fireplace so imo no coziness.

What the gently caress.

on the bright side I'm glad my friend convinced me to play Rust. we're four people, and we've made a tenuous peace with a group of strange, commanding Russians from our Fortress of Neo Haag, and one of my friends just found a cozy fireplace.

I've appointed myself interior decorator/organizer/house parent by intimidation, and I'm having a lot of fun just tidying up the base while everyone else is screaming over discord because they're being eaten by bears while gathering scrap.

fun stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

speaking of games by fledgeling chinese developers, it's been a while since I've recommended MO: Astray

it's a good game

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Icey has Stefanie Joosten as the narrator though so that brings it up. :yayclod:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

There are other FFs. Most of them are interesting somehow, either because they were landmarks in the genre (7) or because they crashed and burned in fascinating ways (13).

I think 9 is an easy recommendation. Especially with the A.I. upscaling mod!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think 9 is an easy recommendation. Especially with the A.I. upscaling mod!

Someday I will play and finish FF9 but the furthest I ever got into it was also when I got one of the most hurtful emails I've ever gotten from my ex and I don't know when I'll be ready to untangle the association. I remember putting down the PSP to read the email and picking up the PSP and putting it back down and not knowing what to think.

ps don't play FF9 on a PSP it's not a good move.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

credburn posted:

I've been meaning to ask this for almost twenty years, but why do Counter-Strike people (I think I've seen this in other games? I don't generally play multiplayer) constantly switch between weapons whenever they're moving anywhere? It's not 100% of people, but goodness it feels like four out of five people do it. Rapid pistol-rifle-knife-pistol-rifle-knife as they run. Does this provide any benefit? Is it just the effects of having chugged eleven Rockstars?
i do (did?) this all the time in call of duty and it was 100% just having my brain running in a constant state of nervous excitement processing what i could see running around, processing what was pinging on the minimap, what that meant for the state of the game, where i could expect people to be coming from, how many points i needed for a streak, how important that streak was, what my team-mates are up to, who would need support, and how to take an objective, and flicking around weapons while 'idle' was a way to maintain and channel the leakage of that nervous mental energy into nervous physical energy in a way that didn't substantially affect my actual gameplay.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Am I wildly misremembering or didn't ATOM RPG end having some kind of chuddery connected to it.

Anyway, a game recommendation! Voxelgram is 3D Picross! Most, if not all of these types of games have been exclusive to the 3DS and/or Switch AFAIK. So far the difficulty has been pretty low, but there's a ton of puzzles + a random mode and the presentation is charming; each puzzle exists within a little diorama and as you complete them you get to fill out the scene with props.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any good time management games similar to Academagia or Golden Treasure: The Great Green

Or, uh, I guess an Elder Scrolls style game but more narrative based?

I just really like watching my dude(s) get stronger.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

LLSix posted:

Are there any good time management games similar to Academagia or Golden Treasure: The Great Green

Or, uh, I guess an Elder Scrolls style game but more narrative based?

I just really like watching my dude(s) get stronger.

Time management + people getting stronger + narrative sounds like Persona 4 Golden to me!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ymgve posted:

Try Subnautica next and discover your other phobias!

when I got to the area where the narrator says it's supposed to be terrifying I was all "whew, thank god for confined spaces where I can see lights in the distance"

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

credburn posted:

You run a bit faster with the knife. It was kinda a meme even.

But yeah years of twitchy gun gameplay from 1.6/Source/GO will do that to you. I haven't played any CS in years now (and now I'm too old to go back :corsair:) but I'm pretty sure I did this constantly, now that I think about it.

e: \/\/\/ okay now I really feel old

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 29, 2020

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Logan 5 posted:

You run a bit faster with the knife. It was kinda a meme even.

But yeah years of twitchy gun gameplay from 1.6/Source/GO will do that to you. I haven't played any CS in years now (and now I'm too old to go back :corsair:) but I'm pretty sure I did this constantly, now that I think about it.

https://youtu.be/TsQFYceNZS8

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ATOM RPG or Wasteland 2?
I never played Atom RPG, but Wasteland 2 is terrible, and you shouldn't play it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someday I will play and finish FF9 but the furthest I ever got into it was also when I got one of the most hurtful emails I've ever gotten from my ex and I don't know when I'll be ready to untangle the association. I remember putting down the PSP to read the email and picking up the PSP and putting it back down and not knowing what to think.

ps don't play FF9 on a PSP it's not a good move.
https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/home

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 29, 2020

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I ended up getting Fallen Order (along with Islanders thanks to this thread, and the Fell Seal and Gen Zero DLCs). I played as far as getting across the gap to the tower, then went back to try Oggdo Boggdo again, and I did worse than when I stumbled into him the first time while exploring. I'll come back at it after some sleep, but so far I'm enjoying it (not that there's been much 'it' yet). BD-1 is cool and I have a white poncho already, so the Jedi fashion show is off to a good start.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Couldn't find it on the page, does this mod improve FFIX's loading/game speed (or give me an option to change it beyond normal in game controls)? It always felt the most sluggish of the PSX games to me and I really don't last long before turning it off.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

beats for junkies posted:

I ended up getting Fallen Order (along with Islanders thanks to this thread, and the Fell Seal and Gen Zero DLCs). I played as far as getting across the gap to the tower, then went back to try Oggdo Boggdo again, and I did worse than when I stumbled into him the first time while exploring. I'll come back at it after some sleep, but so far I'm enjoying it (not that there's been much 'it' yet). BD-1 is cool and I have a white poncho already, so the Jedi fashion show is off to a good start.

Respawn is good at making games with cool robot bros

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Something I've just discovered: If anyone got Griftlands on Epic, Klei will give you a Steam Key. I think that's a first? Here's how to do it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ATOM RPG or Wasteland 2?

You mean, which game should you avoid hardest?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I kickstarted Wasteland 2, I’m in exactly the audience for that game, and I thought it was awful. Full of character build traps, it looks like used toilet paper, and the UI is terrible. Avoid that crap.

E:I would rather play the Aidyn Chronicles on N64 than Wasteland 2. It’s that bad.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I finished Wasteland 2 and I'm kind of bad at finishing long RPGs so there was definitely something there for me, I think it's something one should try for themselves to see what they feel about it.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

ATOM RPG or Wasteland 2?

As above, the correct option here is 'neither.'

Wasteland has some moments but it's mechanics are atrocious, some of them are so bafflingly terrible that I assumed they were intentionally done wrong, as a joke.

ATOM RPG is better mechanically but the game has a huge problem with trash mobs (some areas have 30 or so rat enemies, which you have to kill one by one in a slow turn-based system), and also the devs suck pretty bad and you shouldn't support them financially.

Edit: Is there a reason to care about points at all if I don't use Steam as a social network and just use it to, you know, buy games?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 29, 2020

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wasteland 2 is basically an 80s CRPG. In that it's stuck with an 80s game design mentality of trap character building options, clunky UI and horrible balance. It also flat out punishes you for using certain NPCs in your party by the end of the game, which is a really lovely thing to do when you've invested in them. It's a horrible game.

ATOM is much better as an actual game, being basically old school Fallout, but the Russian developers have... Let's say controversial views and there's an offensive Jewish stereotype in the game.

So yeah, the correct option is neither.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That said, Atom RPG also has a number of trap options, such as the crafting skills. There's practically nothing worth using them for.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

ATOM RPG is better mechanically but the game has a huge problem with trash mobs (some areas have 30 or so rat enemies, which you have to kill one by one in a slow turn-based system), and also the devs suck pretty bad and you shouldn't support them financially.

That's just a homage to the starting cave of Fallout 1. You're obviously not knowledgeable about classic RPGs.

(I have never played ATOM and the starting cave of Fallout 1 sucks big time)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kanfy posted:

I finished Wasteland 2 and I'm kind of bad at finishing long RPGs so there was definitely something there for me, I think it's something one should try for themselves to see what they feel about it.
I also finished Wasteland 2. And wrote a goddamned guide for it. But as I kept playing RPGs, retro or otherwise, my opinion (never very favorable to begin with) kept lowering.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Did they ever fix the issue with needing to crouch jump for basically every jump?
I think there's an option you can set that makes crouchjumping automatic.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

LLSix posted:

Are there any good time management games similar to Academagia
If you know Chinese or don’t mind atrocious translation with some short battles:
Tale of Wuxia
Path of Wuxia (EA: Year 1 only) (Good fan translation)

Both are about raising a normal villager in martial academy/secluded sect for a number of years with in between mission to test out your character’s capabilities.

Mission mode are point-and-click advanture with battle and/or mini games. You can fail missions and there’s only like two or three game over.

First game’s school life end at year five, in which you will go out into full open world mission to stop the villain’s scheme.

Edit:
Scroll of Taiwu (Barebone fan translation)

This one will take me a while to describe.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 29, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I rarely post in this thread but wanted to pop in to say that the Outer Wilds is so good, I love it.
You should get it too if you don’t already have it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nyaa posted:

If you know Chinese or don’t mind atrocious translation with some short battles:
Tale of Wuxia
Path of Wuxia (EA: Year 1 only) (Good fan translation)

Both are about raising a normal villager in martial academy/secluded sect for a number of years with in between mission to test out your character’s capabilities.

Mission mode are point-and-click advanture with battle and/or mini games. You can fail missions and there’s only like two or three game over.

First game’s school life end at year five, in which you will go out into full open world mission to stop the villain’s scheme.

Edit:
Scroll of Taiwu (Barebone fan translation)

This one will take me a while to describe.

Thanks. Your recommendations are exactly what I am looking for. I would have bought those already if the translation was better :(

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

LLSix posted:

Thanks. Your recommendations are exactly what I am looking for. I would have bought those already if the translation was better :(

My favorite part of Tale of Wuxia's translation is that there's a recurring NPC who gives you the first bit of a poem and then challenges you to come up with the best final line. The translators basically just threw up their hands and gave up, because the poem and dialog options are all still in chinese but with an added [pick the third option] at the end, so you just click the one they tell you to without understanding anything and the guy gets really impressed at how good you are with poetry.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hell, I would be impressed with a guy who can just come up with awesome Chinese poetry without even speaking the language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So I was going through my queue and ran across this gem:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1304140/Each_Sale_I_Drink_a_Glass_of_Water__The_Game/

I have so many questions.