Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, that was a really good read, thank you whoever you are!

The story about the envelope is so loving carny I'm torn between thinking it is utterly pathetic or absolutely loving hilarious. gently caress it, it's both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Thanks for sharing!

Can you tell us about your experiences with Bryce Remsburg, good or bad?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
IT'S ALL LEAKING

Quack's post-show email from King of Trios 2008, Night 3:

quote:

Today I watched the final night of the tourney. Some thoughts:

FIST vs. COLONY I liked the way this got going. The first 4 minutes (the shine stuff) was really, really good - some of my favorite stuff from the weekend, with everyone working their roles as perfectly as can be. This also had an advantage built in because most of our fans wanted to see the Colony win, and they hate FIST with a passion, so that adds to the dynamic. I liked the heat, Soldier Ant was effective throughout, and the heels looked good. The spot for the hot tag was good, but shortly after the tag to Worker, it got clunky here, and I'm not sure what happened. Before things got too bad, Fire and Akuma went into some hot poo poo, but things got sloppy again in the dive sequence. Some of the sloppiness hurt the momentum of the finish, but this one had the crowd with it 100%, and they seem to be very forgiving of babyfaces like the Colony. I thought Ron was in his full heel glory here.

LUCHADORES vs. QUACK/JORGE/STORM Jose, let's tuck those tube socks back into the boots. We can't afford to have our cool, young rookie sensation look nerdy. The opening shine had some really rocky parts - like the kind of stuff that should have been practiced at training dozens of times until it was perfect before we saw it on a show. Tony, I think at times you overestimate your strength, and when working as a base for a flyer, that can be dangerous. Just eat some steroids - I have some with my waffles every day. This had its really fun moments, if I do say so myself. You can tell Jorge and Javier weren't overly pleased chaining together, but the crowd ate it up anyway. They went almost 5 minutes by themselves, and it was one of those exchanges that obviously means one thing to fans, but something else to workers. Incognito has the sweetest gear. I just wanted to say that. I think we did a good job of not killing too many false finishes early in the night, and the reaction of the fans at the finish was really a great moment of shock.

JAPANESE vs. BLK OUT People raved about this match, and you can tell why. At least for Kingston and Joker, the Japanese were a perfect foil for them, and this was a true puroresu style match, so having this follow the pure lucha match gave each a distinct flavor. Ruckus felt like the odd man out to me. Our friends at ROH said this was the match that made Gabe see the potential in Kingston, and you could see how perfectly he fit into the dynamic of this style. Since ROH is aped puroresu at the end of the day... write your own joke here. Other than a really wacky Yoshi Tonic, this thing was on the money from start to finish.

INCOHELIOS vs. FAB THREE The crowd was already starting to tire out by the time this one got to the ring. Helios needs black wrestling sneaks in the worst way. The first four matches of the night were each unique in their style, but after three days of non-stop matches, the crowd was getting a little deflated. Hawke is really good in his new role. I thought the guys made the right choice here in not going crazy with false finishes.

TAG GAUNTLET There wasn't a whole lot to this, as the formula really dictated most of it, and only the Chivas were in for more than one turn, and that probably wasn't the smartest choice considering how it went. The Kartel stuff in the crowd was gratuitous, and for the part of the match that I did as a commentator (before leaving to deal with Frank Talent), this was my least favorite part. Then Marcus almost killing himself on a Dragonrana, there was the spitting, and this just turned into one of the lowlights of the gauntlet. When the goats where in, one of them got knocked out, and it went downhill. Shaky stuff abounds. The crowd gave up on this until Sara and Bobby hit the ring, and from this point on, it was all good. The Demolition stuff was great, to the point, and I wouldn't have changed it in hindsight. The middle of the gauntlet really dragged though, and in terms of running time, this year's was half as long as last year's. Incidentally, gents, the name of Demolition's finisher is not the "Demoliton Device," but the "Decapitation." For shame.

INCOHELIOS vs. BLK OUT You'd never know Helios just had his gall bladder out the way he was selling and bumping his rear end off here. A few times, the falsies were hurt by being broken up a second too soon, and it ruined the drama of the false finish (the Shadows Over Hell/SSP break up by Ruckus especially). Joker really brings the intensity. The finish brought good heat to set up the finals, and while it made Bryce a heel for the next hour, when he redeemed himself in the finals, all was right with the world.

LUCHADORES vs. COLONY The crowd really wanted the ants to win this one, and the wind went out of their sails when the luchadores went over. Crowd was dead early, and the most they would give up was polite applause. Sadly, when they would rally behind the ants, there was nothing doing, and if anything, Incognito looked better than everyone else. Lince looked good putting heat on Worker Ant, which is not a role he's usually in. This contained the world's worst double-team, but I don't think it was Pantera's fault, even though it's clear from the sound of the audience that they blamed him. From that point on, the match was always flirting with disaster. The crowd just wanted it to end. The falsies were fine, but the crowd didn't give a poo poo. Fire Ant and Lince looked good together.

4-WAY ELIMINATION By this point, I think the fans had had all the wrestling they needed for the day (or weekend), but what can you do? You can't rush the finals on or the guys don't have time to put it together and they're still tired from the semi-final, tiring crowd that was hard to motivate. By this point in the show, I really felt like ring announcer Nick and the music guy were holding things up by not moving the show along as briskly as possible. The delays on entrances became excruciating by this point in the night. Attention all refs: Check the guys for foreign objects as rapidly as possible from now on. You don't need to check a guy's wrists if he doesn't have anything on them. Too much stalling and standing around in this one for my tastes, and I took a long break between discs to have lunch. Imagine how the fans felt. Vin will need new tights soon, since the shredded pair over the Equinox gear is starting to show wear. Reno and Martin were fine, but the crowd was past the point of no return here.

8-MAN TAG Did I mention the crowd was tired? This was fine, other than one spot where CAW appeared to have no clue what he was doing, and made it worse by just doing a random dropkick that made no sense whatsoever. Luckily, it ended quickly. I wanted this to break up the monotony of the shine-heat-climax format, but really, the crowd didn't need this match as much as the 6 guys in the main did.

FINALS Well, we made it. Crowd was so not into the early going of this match, but by the heat, BLK Out were effective enough in the jerk role that they got 'em going. I'm not sure where Ruckus was on March 2, but his body showed up for our show. Note to Sabian - please don't ever get hurt again. Incognito ruled it big time here. Lince brought his A Game all through the night, and if his performance and push here doesn't make him into a top babyface, I don't have any more tricks up my sleeve. I thought the last 60 seconds were electric, and considering how the heat went, having King tap out wasn't as bad as I thought watching from behind the big screen. After he became the big jerk of the match, the crowd saw him as "having it coming" anyway.

Man, I'm sick of Trios all over again.

MIKE

The full "Quack mails a dead rat to a fan" story. This was her blog post that Quack saw and got mad at following the fan flying to Hellertown for Young Lions Cup in 2008 and not minding kayfabe:

quote:

Monday, June 16, 2008 From Heaven to Hell in One Weekend

Current mood: pissed off

Oh my freaking God wear do I start!

So Last week, plans seemed to be coming together for Young Lions Cup. As anyone of by buddies in Pennsylvania can attest to, I was literally counting don the hours I was so excited!

Didn't get nay sleep Thursday night. It's always like that. When I know I have to get up early, I can never fall asleep. I look at the clock, it's like 4:10. My alarm is set for 4:30. I figure it's pointless, so I got up.

I'm on the 6:00 am bus to O'Hare. Get through security with no problem, have breakfast, sit around for a while and board the plane.

I land in Allentown, PA shortly after noon. My ride was a bit late cause he was setting up the show. I'm not complaining, I'm happy I made it out there at all.

He takes me to my hotel and drops me off, then heads back to the show. I unpack a few things, Lay down for a bit, watch a little TV, wash up, then walk down the street to an Applebee's.

I order a drink, the waitress cards me. She looks at my license. "Oh you're from Indiana. What brings you out here" yadda yadda

I tell her I'm there for the weekend to see a wrestling show, she's like "No kidding! I got another table over there, the guy said he's a wrestler".

I ask her which table it is, thinking if it's someone I'd seen, I'd get a picture.

Too late! She went over and told him I was here for wrestling too.

The guy approaches me, and asked what show I was there for.

I telling him about Young Lions Cup, where it was, that I had friends from Chicago wrestling, but they weren't coming in till the next day.

He asked who's running it. I tell him "Mike Quackenbush"

He all "oh, I know him, I wrestled him. We used to work together in

"Do you have his number?"

Me: "I don't know him, I'm just a fan"

I called one of my buddies who I knew was there setting up the show. Hand the phone to this guy, he goes on like hi and Quack are old buddies, gives his name and number, insisting that Quack will remember him.

Turns out, Quack never heard of him.

So I go back to my hotel room, change, and my ride gets there.

Get to the show. It was great to see everyone again.

The show rock, despite the absence of the Soul Touchaz.

After the show, my hero Anthony tells me, "a bunch of us are going out to eat you want to join us?" I say sure.

We meet at this place. I had a great time hanging with these wrestlers, All very nice guys other than the fact that I didn't know who half of them were, since they didn't have their mask on.

One guy tortured me all night making me guess.

I call Willie. "WILLIE!! WHAT'S UP! I'M HAVING A BLAST HERE, WHEN YOU GUY GETTING HERE TOMORROW!? Hey this guy wants to talk to you"

Other guy: "Hey Willie, this is *masked wrestler's identity protected*" HA now I know who he is!

So, I get dropped back off at the hotel and as I'm waiting for the elevator, who else is there but Quackenbuch and two other workers. By total coincidence, I picked the same hotel the wrestlers were staying at. We're neighbors for the weekend!

The next day Soul Touchaz rocked the show. Before the show: "Are you 'Hug Fairy'?" "yes" "I'm Wiggy" MESSAGE BOARD BUDDIES UNITE!!!

We on the message boards have been plotting for weeks to gang up on Vin Gerard and give him a big group hug.
For those who don't know, Vin Gerard is a very mean, anti social guy who hates everyone. Which is why we wrestling fans feel he needs a hug, like it or not.

She says she tried to hug him, but he actually kicked her.

We get the group together and make sure we got someone running a video camera to get this.

We've been told he's in the lobby, sitting by the windows, which is the far end of the lobby. We decide to go out to the lobby, discreetly split up and go in different directions so we'd be able to corner him and keep him from running.

A group of about seven of us, plus two guys with cameras, start heading towards the lobby. We're caught off guard by the fact that Vin was standing RIGHT IN THE DOORWAY! So we freaked, turned around and ran back in.

After a quick regroup, we head back out. We see him heading down the stairs. We chase the guy, downstairs, outside and around tot he side of the building, where we lost him. Dang it.

Then we see him peek out from behind a truck, and duck back behind it when he saw we were still there.

We wait fro him to come back into the lobby, we start to corner him and he grabs a trash can and starts swigging it at us. This is just freaking awesome!

Wiggy offered him money, asking if he'd whore himself out for a hug. He says for $50, he'll hug us. That better be one heck of a good hug.

Yes, I am aware of the fact that we wrestling fans are nuts!

After the show, Anthony tells me he got in trouble for bringing me to the restaurant the night before. Because I'm a fan. Apparently, Quack is one of those old school guys that's still living in the 80's and can't stand for a fan to see wrestlers out of character.

Anthony was chew out in front of everyone before the show and can to do like a thousand squats.

That news just ruined the whole weekend for me. If it weren't for Anthony, I wouldn't even be there this weekend. He helped me with travel arrangements, paid for my plane ticket, made sure I got picked up at the airport, had a ride to the show. This guy bent over backwards to help me out, expected nothing in return, and he gets punished for it! That's total B.S.

He didn't seem to care about this at all. But I'm really upset about it.

So later that night, I was sitting up in a wrestler's room who was two doors down from me. I'm telling him how horrible I feel for getting Anthony in trouble.. I might not have been so upset if he hadn't done so much to help me out in getting there this weekend.

So this guy just walked in on the end of it. It went something like "the pro wrestling world is in a bubble, fan's can't be allowed to penetrate the bubble"

Sunday, I did not even feel like going to the show. Anthony said if I didn't go, the squats were for nothing, plus my ride showed up before I had a chance to call and say "forget it"

I feel really sorry for the Colony, they put on a good show, but I just wasn't into it. I could not get out of there fast enough.
When I asked Jaz if he wanted a drink, his reply was "that's OK, don't wanna do squats". So not funny.

The guys bends over backwards to help me out. He should not be treated that way!

The next day I get to the airport, the flight's over sold. I'm getting bumped from the 12:20 to the 6:00 pm

OK, at least I get a free round trip ticket for it. Anthony says "great, that means you'll be back". I don't think so.

The 6:00 got delayed until 7:30, then 7:45, then 8:00

When I was told I was switching flights, they took my original boarding pass from me and gave me what I thought was a new one. But I don't know what it was. When I went to board. they told me what I had wasn't what I needed. Well, that's all they gave me. The guy says he'll print me a boarding pass.

Something seems to be wrong with the computer. At this point, everyone else is on the plane. He looks at the chart and sees they're open seats on this flight, tells me to just get on the plane. As they're shutting the door to the jet way I don't argue.

Get to Chicago around 10:00pm. Wait and wait and wait in the baggage claim area. I come to find out by suitcase was taken off the original flight when I got bumped, but apparently, my name was never technically on this flight, so my back never got loaded.

MY STUFF IS STILL IN ALLENTOWN, PENNSYLVANIAIIIII!

After filling out a bunch of paperwork, I barely made the last bus out to Indiana. Got home about an hour ago. Now I have no pajamas. Can't go to bed anyway cause my special cervical pillow, that I need for my fused neck, is in my suitcase. I am without my medication, which means I will more than likely be coughing up blood by morning, along with chunks of stomach lining

So there's my weekend, from having the time of my life to being completely miserable within one weekend.

Thank you Mike Quackenbush for turning me off of wrestling. Here in Chicago, when one helps another person out, they're praised, not punished. I'm so upset and frustrated right now, I'm not even sure I'm a fan anymore.

K.J.

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 26, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/LuchadorLD/status/1275879695540785152

https://i.imgur.com/0Mfl03a.gif :nms:

Mod Edit: More for my own reaction than anything else, I edited out the inline image to a link and added a :nms: tag, because unexpectedly seeing video of a wrestler having a seizure in the middle of the ring was not great.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 29, 2020

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Yikeseroo

Kittenmasque
Jun 24, 2020

MorrisBae posted:

Thanks for sharing!

Can you tell us about your experiences with Bryce Remsburg, good or bad?

I never saw him at the Wrestle Factory when I trained, I never rode with him, and we never shared a room. Outside of seeing him at weekend shows, the only interaction I ever had with him was after someone asked me to hold onto a box of audio equipment or merch coming home from a weekend show. He came by my place a few days later to pick it up and we small talked for a few minutes before he left. I had actually forgotten about him until I saw him in AEW. My impression was that he was tight with Quack but I think he'd be a perfect example of someone Quack would say disrespectful poo poo about behind their back despite their loyalty to him.

When it came to referees, there was a ref they had Dan who I thought was just as good-- and I know he even trained to become a pretty good wrestler himself. Super talented, smart, and great human being. I can't say enough nice things about him.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i dont even know if that lince spots the only time that has happened to him. The spot i thought i remembered was the time he dove outside and cracked his skull open & caused him to go blind in one eye

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Did you cross paths with Chuck Taylor at all? I know he was one of the trainers ther for a while, but that might of been when they were in Philly

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Troxartas posted:

Did you cross paths with Chuck Taylor at all? I know he was one of the trainers ther for a while, but that might of been when they were in Philly

I think hes the unnamed trainer who is in AEW

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
I have worked loosely on design work, charity and improv venues and misc stuff with Chuck Taylor, Bryce, Halladay and Jakob. They were all super great people to work with and for.

Amasis and Ophidian were also really great in helping me out with career advice, and while there are folks whose stories aren't mine to tell, I will say that Mike demanding unwavering loyalty from folks but his own loyalty to others turning on a dime over sometimes the pettiest of slights isn't that surprising.

I really hope the current new students from the roster land in other promotions, there is so much talent and charisma in that group.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

SirDippingSauce posted:

while there are folks whose stories aren't mine to tell, I will say that Mike demanding unwavering loyalty from folks but his own loyalty to others turning on a dime over sometimes the pettiest of slights isn't that surprising.

I've heard through the Philly grapevine that Ultramantis Black's relationship with Quack soured for this exact reason.

Was Orange Cassidy helping out at the school while you were there? Fire Ant is listed as one of the trainers.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
My only interactions with The Colony were when a friend and I were trying to negotiate with Chikara about doing some kind of joint cross-promtion of a charity panel a friend and I ran at various tri-state area nerd conventions. Never really went anywhere but they all seemed amenable. I never did ring training, just went to a lot of shows, did some one-off work design wise here and there, recorded some videos that never really went anywhere, etc.

Taylor and Jakob were always super nice behind the scenes.

The only formal Chikara training stuff I attended was the PBP seminar earlier this year.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

KungFu Grip posted:

i dont even know if that lince spots the only time that has happened to him. The spot i thought i remembered was the time he dove outside and cracked his skull open & caused him to go blind in one eye

The botched SS senton is what caused the blindness

Kittenmasque
Jun 24, 2020

Troxartas posted:

Yes he was one of my instructors although he wasn't there every week. I really like him as a person and I'm glad he's finally made it to tv. He's been in the business since he was 14 so it's been a long time coming for him. Since yesterday I've actually gone into #SpeakingOut thread and read more of the allegations and while I'm not surprised at all at what I'm seeing-- I just want to say that I do not suspect him at all or anyone from the Colony of that type of behavior. I've shared a room with most of them and and they were pretty much always talking and thinking about the professional wrestling business. That said, I do believe the allegations; I did ride with other wrestlers who talked about trying to pick up girls on twitter and I did give rides regularly to someone who had a gf that even got my roommate's # from a show she attended as a fan before I moved there. A little creepy? After reading the allegations put forward--- yeah definitely. I believe the victims and I do have my suspicions but I can't charge anyone based on those circumstances alone.

I remember one of my first days of training Chuck Taylor was there and they were teaching us how to take a splash while laying the ground. You basically keep your arms straight by your sides and raise your upper and lower body a little to brace for the impact. He warned me it would be bad if I relaxed. So I'm braced on the ground and ready for him to splash me but for some reason it felt like so much time passed and nothing was happening. I thought to myself oh I guess they're not ready to start so I'll just relax for a moment until we begin-- and as soon as I stop bracing he loving splashes on top of me and yeah it took the wind out of my sails. It wasn't intentional or anything just poor timing on my part-- but after that I never made that mistake again. I was ALWAYS braced up whenever taking a splash from that point onward.

I think I won him over pretty quickly when they were showing us the 5 bumps. The other couple of beginner students who were there when I joined were not really in great shape and they only did the bare minimum before going back outside of the ring. I was hungry, dying to get in the ring my whole life, and began to practice bumping over and over-- especially the flat back bump. After about 5 minutes or so I asked if anyone else wanted to jump in and said I was sorry for hogging the ring. That made him laugh and I think he took a liking to me after that. Although when I was at the merch table at a show once he tried to set me up by standing next to me and saying how much of a hard rear end Drew Gulak was and trying to get me to agree with him. I would just smile and shake my head at him. I knew he was trying to test me and I was pretty sure they were good friends. Drew Gulak showed up about once a month and another student did warn me that he was the toughest trainer there. He was very tough but he was fair and didn't take liberties when he totally could have. What I am most proud of from from training at Chikara was knowing that I managed to impress him and earn his respect as a student-- the last few times I interacted with him at shows he was actually very kind and put me over on camera to another wrestler who had his mom recording us during intermission.

So yeah, I'm happy to see those guys doing well now.

Kittenmasque fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 27, 2020

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Kittenmasque posted:

So yeah, I'm happy to see those guys doing well now.

That's nice to hear, thanks.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MorrisBae posted:

Something amazing just happened

One of Quack's fabled post-show emails to the CHIKARA roster has leaked - from King of Trios 2009, Night 3

It's courtesy of Mitch Ryder, who quit immediately after because Quack trashed his new ring gear in the email

Mitch Ryder's reply to Quack:

I can't find this anywhere? Got links to where it's at?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/LuchadorLD/status/1276924345890353152?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sounds like Mike is the perfect guy for a full-time PC gig!

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
People defend Quack but then you read stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/LearyOutCrowd/status/1277319237032456193

https://twitter.com/LearyOutCrowd/status/1277321425087496192

DM Punk fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 28, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have the feeling that even on his best behavior Quack's social awareness score maxes out in the negatives.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

I wonder what cookies Quack buys on Goldbelly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That really was the last great Chikara storyline and it's bullshit how it ended so weirdly and without Leary being involved. He had a real Loki vibe going on where he went from loving with Juke Joint's head to realizing the need to turn anti-hero and join him against the bigger threat. Then they wrote him out for no real reason.

Anyway, I'm wondering if they're ever going to put this year's Cibernetico show on Chikaratopia in light of all the poo poo going on. They played it in increments on Saturday mornings with the claim that it was going to go up in full as an on-demand thing later. I just want to watch it for the sake of closure.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I wonder if Quack will go back on his OCD meds after all this.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ophidian's done with the business
https://twitter.com/OphidianCobra/status/1277447598136311808

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

whatever happened to Ultramantis Black?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

the escape goat posted:

whatever happened to Ultramantis Black?

Still wrestles occasionally (had a Yuletide Deathmatch with Nick Gage at an Orange Cassidy GCW show last year), owns a small promotion called the Lehigh Valley Athletics Council, seems to just wrestle recreationally and for a chance to hang out with his friends.

Had a moderately successful career in hardcore punk with first The Ultimate Warriors then members of Pissed Jeans. https://ultramantisblack.bandcamp.com/

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Lamuella posted:

Still wrestles occasionally (had a Yuletide Deathmatch with Nick Gage at an Orange Cassidy GCW show last year), owns a small promotion called the Lehigh Valley Athletics Council, seems to just wrestle recreationally and for a chance to hang out with his friends.

Had a moderately successful career in hardcore punk with first The Ultimate Warriors then members of Pissed Jeans. https://ultramantisblack.bandcamp.com/

it's rad that he's still popping up for fun and that he's not a weirdo chud.

hopped over to his website last week to look at the old merch and immediately preordered the shirt on the top because HELL YEAH. absolute sucker for cats, antifascism, and wrestler stuff that isn't hideously designed (or has their name in massive letters in case they do happen to be wretched because I learned my lesson on that long ago.)

http://ultramantis.firstpress.net/order/merch.html

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 29, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

It's such a great record. I wish he could get back together with Mr Zero & do a followup record that comes out on a format slightly less dead than tape.

Doesn't he also have a vegan store or restaurant in the Lehigh Valley?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

the escape goat posted:

it's rad that he's still popping up for fun and that he's not a weirdo chud.

hopped over to his website last week to look at the old merch and immediately preordered the shirt on the top because HELL YEAH. absolute sucker for cats, antifascism, and wrestler stuff that isn't hideously designed (or has their name in massive letters in case they do happen to be wretched because I learned my lesson on that long ago.)

http://ultramantis.firstpress.net/order/merch.html

drat, I'd have definitely grabbed one of those but they're sold out already.

Shame about Ophidian, he was always one of my Chikara faves. Good that he's working on getting better and taking the time to figure things out though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It's such a great record. I wish he could get back together with Mr Zero & do a followup record that comes out on a format slightly less dead than tape.

I believe he's a librarian, although I guess he might have a variety of concerns goin'

Also concur that his album is good

Somewhat related: Coward Tony sign Hallowicked

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 29, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ultramantis Black as the power behind The Librarians. Please and thank you.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Ultramantis Black as the power behind The Librarians. Please and thank you.

Wish he could still wrestle regularly. Them conjuring up a protector and getting UMB would rule.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure if he still does, but I think he and one of the guys from Pissed Jeans ran a mid-century furniture shop and had very good deals.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

I'm not sure if he still does, but I think he and one of the guys from Pissed Jeans ran a mid-century furniture shop and had very good deals.

Man, Mantis gets around

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wish he could still wrestle regularly. Them conjuring up a protector and getting UMB would rule.

Am I remembering right that he had a knee injury that sidelined him for the better part of a season?

UMB would be an amazing talking head for a stable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Dude has clearly lived a super interesting life.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nystral posted:

Am I remembering right that he had a knee injury that sidelined him for the better part of a season?

UMB would be an amazing talking head for a stable.

It effectively ended his career (that and Quack being a turd made flesh, apparently). He still wrestles very occasionally but I think it's very much a hobby now.

Agreed he'd be a great stable leader, I knew he wouldn't be the Exalted One but man alive it would have been fun. UMB was one of those guys whose ability as a performer was such that they really couldn't keep him rudo forever, the crowd loved him. I was very happy for him when he got the Grand Championship, weird circumstances aside; the promo he cut on the 1st show afterwards is pretty inspiring.

One of the things I'll miss about Chikara is UMB doing commentary, especially if Bryce, Kingston or Sweeney were his partner.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 29, 2020

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I still miss Sweeney :<

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

I still miss Sweeney :<

So say we all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
how long until one of the Ants sets up a family-friendly comedy lucha promotion with an all-caps romanized Japanese name, that very definitely isn't CHIKARA and where quack is banned from going within 200 feet of any venues they run