Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Buttons are allllll hosed up this season. Locking or unlocking a piece of gear ALWAYS registers a double press and it'll lock/unlock back to where it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Firebert posted:

Even on an SSD it takes forever and you still get the 5 second pauses in the same spots in the middle of strikes, I have no idea what is wrong with the client lol

it's the way the game's network infrastructure was designed and built, they went with the cheapest shittiest P2P systems possible, and so even on a PC with an NVME SSD going from a planet to space to another planet takes a horrendously long time

if you're running around doing pve stuff it's pretty easy to spend half or more of your 'game playing' time staring at loading screens

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Wheeee posted:

it's the way the game's network infrastructure was designed and built, they went with the cheapest shittiest P2P systems possible, and so even on a PC with an NVME SSD going from a planet to space to another planet takes a horrendously long time

if you're running around doing pve stuff it's pretty easy to spend half or more of your 'game playing' time staring at loading screens
One of the few reasons why I'd rather Bungie moved on to Destiny 3 than keep trying to bolt poo poo onto the current product.

I'm not saying they would fix this problem, I'm just saying they might fix this problem.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I originally thought I would despise raids because people made it sound like the encounters were just 10 minutes of straight of solving a rubik's cube blindfolded where a nerd whines at anyone who doesn't do everything perfectly on the first try, which I suppose is sometimes true depending on the group, but those nerds are a gratefully small minority of the players in overchill.

turns out raids are actually my favorite content in the game and an incredible feeling when you get them down, while a majority of the encounters have at least some margin for error that 1-2 players loving up doesn't necessarily doom you, or there's very simple jobs for some players to do while the more experienced players do the tougher parts, etc. they also have the best soundtracks and visuals in the game. raids are great.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I originally thought I would despise raids because people made it sound like the encounters were just 10 minutes of straight of solving a rubik's cube blindfolded where a nerd whines at anyone who doesn't do everything perfectly on the first try, which I suppose is sometimes true depending on the group, but those nerds are a gratefully small minority of the players in overchill.

turns out raids are actually my favorite content in the game and an incredible feeling when you get them down, while a majority of the encounters have at least some margin for error that 1-2 players loving up doesn't necessarily doom you, or there's very simple jobs for some players to do while the more experienced players do the tougher parts, etc. they also have the best soundtracks and visuals in the game. raids are great.

I think a big problem with Destiny raids is that the kind of people who play Destiny are not the kind of people who are good at explaining things.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

DaveKap posted:

One of the few reasons why I'd rather Bungie moved on to Destiny 3 than keep trying to bolt poo poo onto the current product.

I'm not saying they would fix this problem, I'm just saying they might fix this problem.

Having picked up and quit Destiny 2 multiple times over its run, the amount of time spent loading between screens has been a major contributing factor each time I quit, usually right after logging in and having to run to the tower to do some errands before I'm ready to begin altering my loadout before eventually going on to grind out my daily tasks.

I've played a lot more Overwatch than I otherwise would have, for example, simply because of how ridiculous slick and accessible getting into playing it is.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Legit Riven is amazing, it's so much fun to optimize your loadouts and team composition so you can burn her down in a single phase.

The other method (punishment for low team DPS) where you have to shoot eyes and call out symbols isn't bad either, I guess.

nice. :discourse:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Panderfringe posted:

I think a big problem with Destiny raids is that the kind of people who play Destiny are not the kind of people who are good at explaining things.

Yep. Doing raids with the SA discord is always chill and fun and they explain very, very well.

When I go to LFGs on my own the difference in communication is obvious. I don't care how many times we've done it , certain stuff needs to be talked about or else we're gonna have a bad time.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RBX posted:

When I go to LFGs on my own the difference in communication is obvious. I don't care how many times we've done it , certain stuff needs to be talked about or else we're gonna have a bad time.

and there’s always 1-2 loving guys who are like “well we do it this way. no, we can’t do it the way everyone else does. No, we don’t want to learn.”

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
some of you never beat halo on legendary and it's very noticable

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Halo is a fantastic shooter with great enemy AI and interesting weapons

Destiny is a grindy loot Number Go Up game with tacked on husk of a pve shell

(Destiny pvp is better tho)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
destiny pvp is maybe the single worst multiplayer shooter on the market so that’s a damning condemnation of halo’s multiplayer i guess

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Yes, because it wasn't fun, by even Halo fans' admission.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

abraham linksys posted:

destiny pvp is maybe the single worst multiplayer shooter on the market so that’s a damning condemnation of halo’s multiplayer i guess

Sorry, *Console destiny pvp

I feel bad PC Boys don't get access to the REAL endgame :smith: Hopefully they fix the cheats for y'all someday

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
has nothing to do with cheats, it’s just a horribly balanced game with terrible maps and a rotation that gets updated like once a year, terrible matchmaking, server problems that pretty much guarantee it’s impossible to play with a six stack because at least one player will inevitably drop during connection after waiting 3 minutes for everyone to load in, etc.

if i could snap my fingers and get rid of pvp in destiny i’d do it in a heartbeat. at least they’d get out of the incredibly loving stupid balance hell they’ve found themselves in where they have to balance everything across two completely different modes because they refuse to have guns that work even slightly differently between pve and pvp

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

abraham linksys posted:

has nothing to do with cheats, it’s just a horribly balanced game with terrible maps and a rotation that gets updated like once a year, terrible matchmaking, server problems that pretty much guarantee it’s impossible to play with a six stack because at least one player will inevitably drop during connection after waiting 3 minutes for everyone to load in, etc.

if i could snap my fingers and get rid of pvp in destiny i’d do it in a heartbeat. at least they’d get out of the incredibly loving stupid balance hell they’ve found themselves in where they have to balance everything across two completely different modes because they refuse to have guns that work even slightly differently between pve and pvp

lol what is this?

Yeah, the matchmaking sucks right now, but they rotate some gametypes every week, added new maps recently (at least new to me, i've only been playing since like November), and the "six stack" is rarely a problem. The biggest issue on that end is dillfucks dropping out after losing one round, or more often, completing whatever bounty they were working on.

It's not nearly the best PvP around, but your characterization is ill-informed and gross.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I just wish they took away my ability to sprint in game and made everyone use the same load out with zero perks. Like what the gently caress is bungie even doing? It's like they're not even trying to enter into the competitive mlg world.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mazerunner posted:

I beat all of them on legendary :brainworms:

It had much better enemy design and music than the D2 campaigns/nightfalls, fun vehicles, and it was still a painful slog

Red bars one shotting you is dumb and tedious and bad, not a tough challenge. It’s the laziest possible way of doing so, just like every other aspect of GM nightfalls.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

:agreed: all I care about is pve so pvp's existence, the limitations it imposes on the rest of the game, and the frequent insistence that you play it for access to a lot of weapons is just a net drag on the game

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am reading people posts here and is like we are all talking about different games. A single game cant possible satisfice everyone tastes.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sorry, *Console destiny pvp

I feel bad PC Boys don't get access to the REAL endgame :smith: Hopefully they fix the cheats for y'all someday

It’s kinda sad that the best way to play Trials on PC without worrying about cheaters is on Stadia.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

PVP is literally the only reason this game hasn't ended up like Division or Anthem.

e: I know Division has pvp, but it sucks.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 29, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

tacit posted:

yeah the recent Tommy's Matchbook catalyst quest was a perfect example of this.

Warframe devs would be like "oh we made a mistake that left players at a disadvantage ? Here have the completed catalyst on us. Those that already completed the quest ? Here have some golf balls for that effort you had put in"

Instead we get the quest reset except with a lower kill count, no matter how close or far we were from finishing it.

The recent powerfuls bug was the closest they came to the warframe grind experience in that short timeframe where they patched the AFK farming out but still allowed extra powerfuls. Speed running nightmares for both the resource and the engrams resulted in an actual feeling of progression from optimising the grind - and to me at least it was legit fun times (although still not quite like a warframe 35 second T3 capture).

But now we are back to the "play it your way" of doing the exact same activities each week while relying on RNG for the drop you need to progress. I really do hope they learn from this happy accident, but we all know they wont.

I cannot give enough praise to Digital Extremes. Coptering was a bug and expoit, it takes serious balls to rebuild your entire gameplay because players enjoyed the exploit so much. "You like it? Knock your little hearts out for flying and parkour"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

PVP is literally the only reason this game hasn't ended up like Division or Anthem.

e: I know Division has pvp, but it sucks.

No, the gun mechanics and art direction are.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
So wait, what is up with the Tommy’s Matchbook catalyst quest? Because Banshee has a quest to give it to me even though I’ve already finished the quest and completed the catalyst and I didn’t pick it up because I heard it was a bug that will restart your progress.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Pirate Jet posted:

So wait, what is up with the Tommy’s Matchbook catalyst quest? Because Banshee has a quest to give it to me even though I’ve already finished the quest and completed the catalyst and I didn’t pick it up because I heard it was a bug that will restart your progress.

I picked it up and dropped it. My catalyst is fine.

I think it only affects those who hadn’t completed it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Panderfringe posted:

All I can say for sure is that the experience of raiding is almost exclusively dictated by the quality of your raid leader and your crew. Good raid leaders that keep thing light and keep things focused and on track so you have a good time and you’re in and out in two hours are worth their weight in loving gold. The worst part of raiding with goons, without question, is that goons who really enjoy being read leaders seem to just like listening to themselves talk and absolutely delight in explaining and overexplaining and re-explaining every single mechanic of the fight whenever somebody makes a very obvious mistake, instead of just saying “hey what’s the problem? Do you need help? You got a question? Anyone wanna swap jobs with new guy?”

It’s about respecting people’s time, something Destiny is already super bad at.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I love the overly long raid instructions because they just make things more confusing. My raid team was banging their heads against the Gauntlet until someone suggested a much simpler way to do it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Haha I always thought people saying they enjoy the PvP were joking, I suppose it's serviceable but still, kinda surprised by that one. Warframe also had a subpar pvp but atleast that game doesn't strong arm me into playing it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 29, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Different strokes and all, but I just cannot fathom why anyone would play this game's PvE for the sake of this game's PvE, rather than a necessary evil to get the gear & materials for PvP

There are dedicated PvE games with good PvE!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
As somebody who is generally bad at PVP in other games I do enjoy how D2 seems to do everything it can to help you feel like a good shot via 'headshot' zones that cover the entire upper chest at a distance, melee homing in like a guided missile, and supers that are generally a few free kills unless your timing is bad. I still hate it though because every single score-based mode just takes so god drat long. 150 points, 50 kills, whatever, matches just last too drat long.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I enjoy the Crucible and have the trophies to show for it, but let’s not go too far — the way PvP is done up in this game is pretty shonky.

The netcode and tick rate is not up to par, resulting in a lot of late kills and trades. And the game has absolutely absurd amounts of aim assist, and multiple perks/mods to increase that to an even higher level.

It’s fun but I don’t think it should be taken altogether too seriously, and neither should folks be denigrated for wanting to play the game modes they enjoy more instead.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Different strokes and all, but I just cannot fathom why anyone would play this game's PvE for the sake of this game's PvE, rather than a necessary evil to get the gear & materials for PvP

There are dedicated PvE games with good PvE!
I would also say the same about PVP.

Why in the world would you play a PVP game where other people can just have better poo poo then because they got lucky/spent more time grinding or you need to do incredibly fiddly stuff to make your character work the way you want it to. I'd rather just play a PVP game where the devs actually made curated, balanced guns rather then throwing a million permutations in hoping balance works out on a cosmic scale.

It's not to say I don't have fun with PVP in Destiny, but it's often a means to an end, and is not something I boot up because I want to play multiplayer FPS.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I was away all weekend on birthday barbecues ....
Game bad?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sample_text posted:

I was away all weekend on birthday barbecues ....
Game bad?

Game bad. Play Titanfall 2 instead.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Different strokes and all, but I just cannot fathom why anyone would play this game for the sake of it, rather than a necessary evil

There are dedicated games with good play!

FTFY

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dragonshardz posted:

Game bad. Play Titanfall 2 instead.

FTFY

I just picked up TF2 for cheap, and it’s really loving fun. The level design isn’t as tight as say, Doom, but overall: highly recommend.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

was wondering why this campaign is so hard, like super intense dying in one or two hits and having to carefully clear the missions and strike, and then realized that apparently i'm like 50 light levels too low and am supposed to be grinding engrams to pad it out

Fly Molo posted:

I just picked up TF2 for cheap, and it’s really loving fun. The level design isn’t as tight as say, Doom, but overall: highly recommend.

Picking Destiny 2 up again for the first time in ages after having recently played a ton of Apex and some Titanfall 2 is like god drat guardians are slow and what is this being unable to reload while sprinting poo poo, and also dying a lot to the floaty physics

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheeee posted:

Picking Destiny 2 up again for the first time in ages after having recently played a ton of Apex and some Titanfall 2 is like god drat guardians are slow and what is this being unable to reload while sprinting poo poo, and also dying a lot to the floaty physics

I’m just really enjoying sci-fi gunplay that has vehicles as an integral part of the gameplay. It’s really satisfying stomping across lines of panicking enemy soldiers, or hitting an enemy mech with a missile and seeing it blow the gently caress up.

What I’m saying is, D2 needs Big Team Battle, with tanks and gunships and stuff. FFS there’s vehicle sections in the campaign, strikes, and patrols, but it’s yet another chunk of the game where they invented like 3 vehicles then abandoned the concept and never implemented or developed it further.

I want to jump in a tank and do wheelies on a space god’s face

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Wheeee posted:

and also dying a lot to the floaty physics
I know you mean player mobility/movement but it's so lazy that they give every boss-type enemy a stomp attack which, coupled with their lovely physics engine, is often just instant death for having the audacity of being within a few meters of the boss. Hate it.

Fly Molo posted:

I’m just really enjoying sci-fi gunplay that has vehicles as an integral part of the gameplay. It’s really satisfying stomping across lines of panicking enemy soldiers, or hitting an enemy mech with a missile and seeing it blow the gently caress up.

What I’m saying is, D2 needs Big Team Battle, with tanks and gunships and stuff. FFS there’s vehicle sections in the campaign, strikes, and patrols, but it’s yet another chunk of the game where they invented like 3 vehicles then abandoned the concept and never implemented or developed it further.

Aren't they super limited on the number of models that can exist at any given time due to console (and/or engine) restrictions? It's why Altar of Sorrow on the moon has enemies sprinting toward a point, because they need a forcing function to despawn enemies or they'd need to throttle down the spawn rate. This may just be an unsubstantiated rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Fly Molo posted:

It's also really satisfying to play a sci-fi shooter that doesn't assume it's the only game a player ever plays, and has a nicely curated selection of weapons that never got out of style, and game modes that generally feel balanced and fun even if you're getting absolutely poo poo on.

I can't count the number of Attrition matches I've played in Titanfall 2 that were fun the entire time...and still rewarded me for playing the game.