Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't think Silky's weird racist poo poo towards Plastique counts as "shifty" edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Eej posted:

Don't think Silky's weird racist poo poo towards Plastique counts as "shifty" edit

Remember when Michelle told Plastique to stop using that pesky Vietnamese accent and the editors left it in lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Akeria having no idea what immigrant Asian family dynamics are like and going in on Plastique as liar too

Man what a mess of a season

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Vanjie had no chance at winning but she made such great TV. I wish vanjie would get a TV show where she does science experiments. Or reads to kids.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

GrandmaParty posted:

Vanjie had no chance at winning but she made such great TV. I wish vanjie would get a TV show where she does science experiments. Or reads to kids.
I would 100% watch either of these

Can someone summarize the Alexis stolen valor/pretend bf drama?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Eej posted:

didn't realise that took up 12 hours of screentime in season 11, my bad

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

fadam posted:

What was the reaction to season 11 while it was airing? Idk htf Silky has made it this far lol

I couldn't stand her during season 11, and it remains the one season that I have not rewatched specifically because of her. She was so throughly unpleasant, and it was obvious to me that production was dragging her to the finale regardless of how she did, whether because it was for the drama, or because they've been wanting to crown a big girl for a while now.

I did feel for her at the finale though. She knew that the fans did not like her, and that she didn't stand a chance at winning, no matter how well she did. She looked completely dejected. Despite how much I disliked her during the season, I hope she is doing okay. I don't think I've seen anything about her since.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I think the main reason folks blame the editing re. Silky is one fact in particular: throughout the season, various shots of Silky having a sourpuss are shown. Silky wears glasses, and was not squinting because another contestant got a good critique. She was squinting because she can't see! The fact that production peppered in various shots of Silky squinting at certain times (to make it seem like she was sulking at Yvie's good critiques or whatever) is so drat unfair. She can't see! Other contestants have vouched for her!

Also, Silky's sloppy-rear end runways make me miss Eureka so much. Say what you will about her being annoying or her hair loaf or her being "carried" in S10...her runaways almost always FIT RIGHT.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Stroop There It Is posted:

Can someone summarize the Alexis stolen valor/pretend bf drama?

Not much to it to be honest. The maxi challenge was to film a military PSA type thing. Alexis made references to an ex-bf or something that was overseas at the time. She incorporated a call out to him in her PSA. Was he fake and made up? Who knows and who cares. The runway category was military/patriotic something. Alexis used the jacket of a marine dress uniform as part of her outfit.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I really hated Silky whilst the season aired and the fact she didn't even pick Yvie to lip-sync in the finale meant there wasn't even a satisfying end to her reign.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZKMwjoD2yc

Well that was strangely satisfying...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao at a video of Canada's Drag Race not being available in Canada

Luckily I didn't actually want to watch it when I saw the title lmfao

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

esperterra posted:

lmao at a video of Canada's Drag Race not being available in Canada

Luckily I didn't actually want to watch it when I saw the title lmfao

lol, same

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

OH gently caress IT STARTS IN THREE DAYS :derp:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The episode where she lip syncs with Nina and it sucks rear end and Ru is just like “meh” rocked my world lmao. I’m so stoked I have like 14 more seasons of thi to watch.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

GrandmaParty posted:

The fact that VH1 has not already built a mid-'00s style Flavor of Love show around Vanjie where she finds her drag queen soulmate is preposterous

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Speaking of Nina West...am I the only one who thought her fringe runway (episode 3) was one of the ugliest things ever worn on the show? The outfit itself combined with the flesh-tone color just looked so...ugh. Didn't she win that episode, even?

Other contenders for me are Pearl's Hello Kitty look, Pearl's snake runway, and Sharon's First Lady runway.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Speaking of Nina West...am I the only one who thought her fringe runway (episode 3) was one of the ugliest things ever worn on the show? The outfit itself combined with the flesh-tone color just looked so...ugh. Didn't she win that episode, even?

Other contenders for me are Pearl's Hello Kitty look, Pearl's snake runway, and Sharon's First Lady runway.
Derrick Berry's serial-killer-wall swimsuit from s8 was a standout for me. Actually all her looks from that challenge were ghastly but that one was just sad.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I guess everyone blocked Cracker's hairkini from memory. She was in the top for that while Mayhem was just safe, lol.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

I guess everyone blocked Cracker's hairkini from memory. She was in the top for that while Mayhem was just safe, lol.

I know that's a notorious "ugliest ever" runway, but for some reason, at the time, I didn't hate it? I suppose because a) I was impressed that it was made fully out of wigs, and b) I was too busy having heart eyes over Kameron's three looks. <3

I didn't hate Cracker's AS5 camo look, except for one thing. The titties looked bad, sure, but THAT COLLAR. I couldn't stop hollering every time she was on-screen during the deliberations. It just looks so...cheap! Nitpick on my end, but for some reason, it drove me insane.

PhiPhi's roast (standup?) look wasn't technically a runway, but good LORD, that was a cringe-y, racist mess.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i just kept getting distracted because cracker's runway was made out of the same butch snuggie we had lying around the house for years

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Okay, I know this is an older video, but we were talking about Silky earlier and this came up in my YouTube feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoRQzTSiy00

I knew her way of doing makeup was odd! The Sharpie was suspect for sure, but that foundation, drat!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Derrick hasn't posted a single planned runway look online. I lowkey think he didn't even prepare anything, rofl

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aja's first run on the show is a giant mess of looks because I think she used to just post on Insta?

Also finally started on Season 1, the last season and it's insane how much of a turd Shannel is!! Like, Akashia is literally proto-Tyra except minus any talent whatsoever but Shannel is just like making GBS threads on people for not knowing who Oprah is or not agreeing she is literally a God

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Shannel's annoying, but entertaining. Couldn't stand her the first time I watched. Second time, though, I did sympathize with her because the judges really didn't appreciate anything she did.

She's responsible for 3 of the funniest moments in the season too. That ridiculous costume for the Oprah challenge, the lipstick story, and Miss Mandarin (thpthpthpthpthpthp).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

broke first watch: shannel's so full of herself
woke rewatch: shannel should have won that challenge

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The most insane part of Aja's arc is that she appears on AS3 and everyone's like wow you look so much better when all she did was start painting like Valentina

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Born a riot, still a riot

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is she still being a 247 mess in the socials?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

I could never fully get on board with Nina in general. I think she got a LOT of leeway just because she's such a drag legend in the Columbus scene. She certainly seems nice, but did she ever bring a great look? Not really. Was she particularly funny? Not really.

Pan Dulce posted:

Okay, I know this is an older video, but we were talking about Silky earlier and this came up in my YouTube feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoRQzTSiy00

I knew her way of doing makeup was odd! The Sharpie was suspect for sure, but that foundation, drat!

Oh lord, I completely forgot about the sharpies!!!

Eej posted:

The most insane part of Aja's arc is that she appears on AS3 and everyone's like wow you look so much better when all she did was start painting like Valentina

She is very open about getting plastic surgery between her seasons.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Another quick Q, anyone know which episode Get Her Jade comes from? Watching S5 again specifically to catch it but I missed it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Another quick Q, anyone know which episode Get Her Jade comes from? Watching S5 again specifically to catch it but I missed it.

Does it happen in Untucked I wonder? If not that, then I think it happens during the backrolls argument.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
since it was the 3 of them (jade coco alyssa) in untucked alone because they were safe, my guess is it would be untucked of whatever episode had 9 girls left in it, and looking that up it's snatch game, so s5e5 untucked

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I could never fully get on board with Nina in general. I think she got a LOT of leeway just because she's such a drag legend in the Columbus scene. She certainly seems nice, but did she ever bring a great look? Not really. Was she particularly funny? Not really.

She did a trans flag look once to piss off Ru which was good

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I agree that Nina had hit or miss moments over the season, but I've always struggled with the idea of her drag just being bad- I thought she brought excellent camp for most of her run! The problem was that it wasn't high fashion camp, just camp, and the judges have never had an appreciation for that.

And the one week she did bring extremely high fashion camp she was safe and didn't get any props for it! Which was so frustrating. I mean come on:

Also I will never understand the judges hating on her opera singer look. It is some excellent parody.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Nihonniboku posted:

Just off the top of my head, Nina's little shop Seymour look was super campy and fun, her facekini look was great, and her Salem burning witch look was also a campy fun one. And the trans flag one was nice to see on the show. She's definitely not glamour or fashion in her style and her looks aren't the main event but I thought those were all good ones.

She was very good and funny in the magic show. I think in general she's also got great talking heads, and her interactions with the other queens were funny and light-hearted, she's easy to like.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A God drat Ghost posted:

Just off the top of my head, Nina's little shop Seymour look was super campy and fun, her facekini look was great, and her Salem burning witch look was also a campy fun one. And the trans flag one was nice to see on the show. She's definitely not glamour or fashion in her style and her looks aren't the main event but I thought those were all good ones.

She was very good and funny in the magic show. I think in general she's also got great talking heads, and her interactions with the other queens were funny and light-hearted, she's easy to like.

Yeah, perhaps I was too harsh. I don't dislike her. And like I said yesterday, I haven't rewatched season 11 because of how toxic Silky was, so maybe I was just overlooking and forgetting some of what Nina did.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Justice for Nina!

(but put Shuga on All-Stars first)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Justice for Nina!

(but put Shuga on All-Stars first)

Wait, she was season 11 too!? Maybe I do owe the season a rewatch after all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I miss drag shows so much. Dances of Vice's Pride latex/fetish party was postponed and Bushwig was canceled this year, obviously. Some of the performances I saw last year really blew me away. Online drag shows are cool but god drat, you do not get the same energy.