Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

SirSamVimes posted:

Lignification is insanely powerful early game except against enemies who will just pelt you from out of your rooted range. You get a ton of health and armour and your minimal EV doesn't matter when everything basically bounces off you.

Fun fact, you also get a hefty bonus unarmed damage in treeform because smashing someone with a branch is a lot more damaging than punching them.

Oh so I wasn't hitting with my sword when I was all yakked up? For sure, it looked like I was riposting with my sword's brand while in treeform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ligmafication

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Oh so I wasn't hitting with my sword when I was all yakked up? For sure, it looked like I was riposting with my sword's brand while in treeform

You can still use weapons in treeform, the branch attack is only if you unequip and you only want to take advantage of it if you've already invested in unarmed or if it's early enough that your weapon skill is low and an un-skilled branch attack outweighs the weapon.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
For any noobs reading this: if you see Menakare or whatever his name is quaff a Lignification potion and watch him try and torment a tree pointlessly while you whack him.

I think you can do this with Grinder as well but I cannot recall.

Also, Sophia can be hit with a wand of paralysis super easily and murderized.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

FulsomFrank posted:

For any noobs reading this: if you see Menakare or whatever his name is quaff a Lignification potion and watch him try and torment a tree pointlessly while you whack him.

I think you can do this with Grinder as well but I cannot recall.

Also, Sophia can be hit with a wand of paralysis super easily and murderized.

Wand of Paralysis works really really well on Nessus also, who is otherwise kind of deadly to mid-level players.

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies

Haifisch posted:

Your morgue page has a chart that keeps track. Gooncrawl is kept track of here. You can get to your mainline crawl morgue by clicking on your player name in the chat box. Other branches may or may not have a sever-run morgue, depending on which server you play on.

Holy crap I never knew I could click myself in chat, this is great, thank you! It seems to track both CBRO and CAO together which makes me feel extra accomplished.

6.66 win % hail satan.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
sometimes when Lair has a super nasty entrance that you're unprepared for, the best plan is to shrug and do Orc first.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Superterranean posted:

sometimes when Lair has a super nasty entrance that you're unprepared for, the best plan is to shrug and do Orc first.

There was a pack of death yaks on my last run. It seemed excessive but unsure if it's crazy bad or not.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I used to do orc first to see if the final level was an easy one but now you can get stone giants and warlords on orc 1 so it's a bit riskier.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I can appreciate trying to make the magic schools different, but removing throw flame along with turning it's baby version into fox fire just makes baby fire elementalist feel super super clunky.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Superterranean posted:

Trying to do Ork before Lair is way more likely to get you killed than simply diving past an abnormally hard Lair:1

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Gorelab posted:

I can appreciate trying to make the magic schools different, but removing throw flame along with turning it's baby version into fox fire just makes baby fire elementalist feel super super clunky.

I really like foxfire personally, it’s a neat differentiation!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Orc before lair is fine if you're a formicid, being immune to paralyze and the ability to dig killholes makes it pretty much impossible to die outside of warlords and the rare ogre/giant floor.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, memory, but were you unable to pick things up off the floor while flying back in the day? Also, levitating existed?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes. Floating and flying were different and you needed controlled flight to pick things up or go down stairs.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Ranged_Combat

This is telling me if I want to do slings as a main weapon, that I should focus dex, right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yes, but also wow .14 was a while ago. I don't think anything's changed in regards to cranking dex for slings, but just be aware.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Strength weighting is definitely gone for melee weapons, I think it's gone for ranged weapons too. Dex increases accuracy, strength increases damage.
edit: all that stuff about stat-related attack delay is gone too, the only difference with ranged delay is that throwing has a minimum delay of 0.7 and crossbows have a minimum delay of 1.0. Otherwise it's melee-like, 0.1 reduction every 2 skill levels down to min(floor(base delay/2), 0.7) for bows & slings or the above minimums for throwing and crossbows.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 28, 2020

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I'm starting to believe Frozen Ramparts is beyond overpowered for Formicid. Unaware enemies will flat out not walk into ice walls. This is a huge buff for infinite digging and allows for unprecedented escape, better than the old one-turn Wu Jian wall jumping. Absolute bombshell of a spell with even a little bit of stealth.

For reference, outrunning a black mamba with original Wu Jumping:

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 29, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

I'm starting to believe Frozen Ramparts is beyond overpowered for Formicid. Unaware enemies will flat out not walk into ice walls. This is a huge buff for infinite digging and allows for unprecedented escape, better than the old one-turn Wu Jian wall jumping. Absolute bombshell of a spell with even a little bit of stealth.

For reference, outrunning a black mamba with original Wu Jumping:

Man, didn't realise there were still ASCII players out there...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
More like Wu Jiump Clan.

Also, wow, PuTTY. Literally haven't seen anyone use that in 15 years, nostalgia high five.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've tried tiles and I can't understand it as quickly. There's too much visual noise for me. It would be slightly better if I could play with tiles as I'd get a bit more information, but I just can't do it.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Same but I’m also elitist about it :)

Really glad they added (polearm, poisoned, burning) descriptors and have died to not meticulously checking for flame (which is not tracked for you in console, you have to xv or pore through combat spam for the absence of messages about being engulfed)

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've gradually converted from ascii to tiles, but I still do most of my crawling on the Android ascii port for convenience.

Playing my first proper Gnoll ever, what a nice change of pace to be able to consider using virtually any gear or spell you find.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Perhaps a god...I'm brainstorming here...Parellas? Pakelli? I feel like I'm onto something :v:

PAKELLAS THE INVENTIVE APPROVES OF YOUR CURIOSITY

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

Man, didn't realise there were still ASCII players out there...

its the only way i`ve ever played. 0.3 didn`t have tiles and I never cared to switch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Does gooncrawl have an ASCII version? Because if not, Gooncrawl is the only potentially solid reason I can think of to move to tiles.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Does gooncrawl have an ASCII version? Because if not, Gooncrawl is the only potentially solid reason I can think of to move to tiles.
I'm not sure where the most recent offline builds are linked, but it's available through SSH on crawl.kelbi.org
e: keys are linked from the servers list: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 1, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Trunk changes: spellcast hunger is no longer. And with it, chunk eating is also gone.. except for Ghouls! Somehow a tedium mechanic manages to survive the culling.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Sage Grimm posted:

Trunk changes: spellcast hunger is no longer. And with it, chunk eating is also gone.. except for Ghouls! Somehow a tedium mechanic manages to survive the culling.

not sure how i feel about this

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Okay, contemplate this: Berserk is now the highest hunger cost skill (600) in the game that's intended to be spammable. If you're with Trog, there's another 200-400 food cost on top of that.

Other abilities that are higher:
Elyvilon's Divine Vigour (900)
Lugonu Corrupt (500-1000)
Lugonu Banish Self (500-1000)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Should probably just take hunger and food out of the game entirely at this point

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sage Grimm posted:

So does this mean you survive exclusively on rations? Like baldspot said, they might as well cut hunger out entirely at this point.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

hunger has never been a good mechanic but has now been made significantly worse due to the fact that i'm forced to pay attention to it instead of auto-butchering my way through the game and ending up with a stack of 400 rations by the time i ever enter a branch where things aren't edible

welcome to the era of Gozag, I guess

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm pretty ambivalent because hunger has definitely needed a rework, just probably not like this.

It is funny that Spriggans and Gozag both had "can't eat chunks" as a significant part of their balance and that's just completely out the window now. Can't wait for them to remove Gozag completely because he's too powerful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How on Earth did they manage to make the hunger mechanic worse by having less of it? How?

What is wrong with you, Trunk?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Cardiovorax posted:

How on Earth did they manage to make the hunger mechanic worse by having less of it? How?

Crawl devs uhhh, find a way.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Pressing e when you see a yellow text in the corner of your eye is infinitely better than repeating (c)hop (a)ll 196 times per game. Not having to press e at all would be even better.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

In other news, you can now experimentally play as a boulder beetle dude (rip centaurs) and pick a background that begins shafted to D:5:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/comments/hmafex/new_palentonga_species_and_delver_background/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Pressing e when you see a yellow text in the corner of your eye is infinitely better than repeating (c)hop (a)ll 196 times per game. Not having to press e at all would be even better.
The cool kids have their rc files set to autobutcher and also autoeat chunks.

quote:

auto_butcher=hungry
auto_eat_chunks = true