Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I've been playing fighting games again after a few months of playing other stuff so I decided to make a new thread here, since the Games thread spends most of its time not talking about fighting games and is generally unreadable. Here's some games that I play and what I think their level of entry is.

Guilty Gear - Hard. If you're a beginner and you face someone who knows what they're doing it can seem like you die immediately with no recourse. Definitely takes a while to get used to, but Xrd is a very fun game with unique characters.

Under Night - Intermediate. My favorite game. Easier to learn than Guilty Gear since there's less wacky air movement and setups, but pressure strings can be very long so if you're not good at blocking you might get frustrated. The GRD system is very fun and rewarding, that along with Shield keeps defense engaging, so you don't really care that you're blocking a lot once you understand the system.

Granblue Fantasy Versus - Easy. Very straightforward game. With the exception of a few characters movement is very standard and focuses on moving slowly/spacing correctly so that you can poke/whiff punish.

King of Fighters XIV - Intermediate. I love King of Fighters but I'm not very good at it. Still, XIV is definitely easier than some other KoF games I've played. Massive cast of characters and 3 man teams can be a little overwhelming to learn. Also it still costs like 60 dollars plus 20 dollars of dlc characters? What the gently caress?

Fightcade games - Varies. You can still play a bunch of retro games on fightcade, and for free! Always lots of people playing in certain lobbies and the chat gets certifiably insane. There's a new client coming out at some point.

Smash - I don't play this, but I know someone will bring it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

tekken 7 - bad. i have 1300 hours in this game on steam and i'm the guy who reviews it and says, this game is bad.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Street Figjter V, OP?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

How’s the Samurai Showdown game that came out last year?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

herculon posted:

How’s the Samurai Showdown game that came out last year?

They just added a For Honor crossover character

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Shame it went with season passes and $6 characters, but I guess that’s the only way fighting games make money

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I enjoy fighting games but at a level below the people who actually play fighting games which means I'm too stupid or lazy to learn the actual mechanics and I'm probably no fun to fight against for a skilled player.

KOF98 was one of my favorite IZIs though. That game was cool as hell.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I haven't had the drive lately to actually try and get good at a FG beyond scrambling to practice for a few of the lastest IZIs, but I do really want to at least try again some time in the future with Soul Cal 6, UNICLR and KOFXIV. I'll be the guy to bring up smash and say that my first taste of rollback netplay (outside of fightcade games) that was recently added to melee makes it hard to want to go back to any delay based game any time soon though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i had a weird couple months (wonder why lol!) but im finally moved into a place i wont be leaving for a while and finally have time to get back into FGs. i picked up granblue recently and its rly fun, still havent tried every character yet but ive liked zeta and zooey the most.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i'm too dense in the head to be good at fighters but i like playing em. might pick up that samsho collection they announced yesterday, those games kick rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that collection of games is cool but ive heard iffy things about the actual port itself. but hey it was free on the Epic Games Store.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

How are the ports on that neogeo arcade stick pro? I keep wanting to buy it, but keep talking myself out of it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

herculon posted:

How are the ports on that neogeo arcade stick pro? I keep wanting to buy it, but keep talking myself out of it.

not good. every official neogeo licensed mini console (and there are a lot, they've been licensing them out since like 2010) range from awful to bad. i guess the stick is at the bad end of the spectrum.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lethal league ftw

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I haven't played a fg for real in like year but if I close my eyes I still sometimes hear distorted Chinese kof commentary coming out of one speaker

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Lethal league ftw

yeah this. i just got this recently too and have barely played it

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i love super turbo

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

king of fighters 98 tournament was really fun. i’m horrible king of fighters 13 tho, skill ceiling seems pretty high

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Once Fightcade 3 comes out we can finally have an MKII IZI.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

king of fighters 98 tournament was really fun. i’m horrible king of fighters 13 tho, skill ceiling seems pretty high

I have XIII installed too if you want to try playing sometime. I don't know any HD combos anyway.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

i love super turbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRC9VLnClLk&t=5544s

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Just want to mention that all the games mentioned in the OP with the exception of Granblue Versus are heavily discounted on steam right now. You can get Guilty Gear Rev 2 with all the dlc characters for 80% off. Highly recommended.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite is a delectable 10 bucks as well.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite is a delectable 10 bucks as well.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Contemplating the future of Injustice. Perhaps there's enough injustice in the world already.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

[Billy Madison yelling from the back of the classroom:] No I will not "PLAY KILLER INSTINCT" with you!

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I like Blazblue Cross Tag Battle and think it is a good transition game for someone like me, who had only ever played Smash, into more traditional 2D fighters.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Caithness posted:

I like Blazblue Cross Tag Battle and think it is a good transition game for someone like me, who had only ever played Smash, into more traditional 2D fighters.

Whenever I hear people talk about "competitive" smash all that poo poo sounds way harder than what you have to do in 2D fighters, but I guess I'm biased.

King of Fighters might be my new favorite game now that I kind of understand how it works in the neutral side of things. Had some games with dinosaurjerk and Evil Eagle this week. On sale! Buy it!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Kongming posted:

Whenever I hear people talk about "competitive" smash all that poo poo sounds way harder than what you have to do in 2D fighters, but I guess I'm biased.

King of Fighters might be my new favorite game now that I kind of understand how it works in the neutral side of things. Had some games with dinosaurjerk and Evil Eagle this week. On sale! Buy it!

i short hop way too much

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Yeah I had that problem for a while too which is understandable since it's such a novel feature of KoF. Honestly, the best advice I ever got from someone about neutral is to backdash. Backdash a lot. Not so much that you corner yourself, but giving up space isn't as huge a deal in KoF as it is in say Street Fighter since you also have a fast forward dash.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Kongming posted:

Yeah I had that problem for a while too which is understandable since it's such a novel feature of KoF. Honestly, the best advice I ever got from someone about neutral is to backdash. Backdash a lot. Not so much that you corner yourself, but giving up space isn't as huge a deal in KoF as it is in say Street Fighter since you also have a fast forward dash.

i definitely dont dash enough in general in any game that has it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I wanna try new fighters but my time with 3s was literally 99% eating poo poo and i felt like i needed at least 5 solid months of nothing but grinding to ecen stand a chance agaibst mediocre players. Maybe the next game i try will hook me...

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the reason i decided to move over to more modern fgs is because i gave up on playing my favourites online (kof98 and 3rd strike) because you only meet savants that have been playing non-stop for 22 years

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Most games I can’t play against pubbies since the loading screens and lobby parts are too long and the games are too hard for me to tell what is happening but Super Turbo... I could lose against godlike players in Super Turbo for hours and still have a great time. Not entirely sure why that game in particular but it’s my jam, ladies and germs.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I can also handle Smash if I’m in the right frame of mind I guess.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

the reason i decided to move over to more modern fgs is because i gave up on playing my favourites online (kof98 and 3rd strike) because you only meet savants that have been playing non-stop for 22 years

you gotta stay away from the dangerous flags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

dangerdoom volvo posted:

you gotta stay away from the dangerous flags

lol