Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i liked elex a lot but i like lovely jank so ymmv. if you want a game that is dicey and weird and it feels the same way you would feel riding a bike that wobbles randomly and has a flat tire, then it's the game for you. relatedly, i recommend two worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’ve been playing Subnautica a lot and it kicks major rear end. I wish I would have bought it on PC though because I hate doing first person poo poo with a controller.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
HZD chat.

Obligatory gently caress Ted Faro.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

I’ve been playing Subnautica a lot and it kicks major rear end. I wish I would have bought it on PC though because I hate doing first person poo poo with a controller.

The VR UI is so bad that it kind of makes it unfun to play in VR which is really sad because a lot of that game is great and would own in VR.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

The VR UI is so bad that it kind of makes it unfun to play in VR which is really sad because a lot of that game is great and would own in VR.
i don’t like VR anyway :shobon: but yeah that’s an open goal missed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I got given a copy of Detroit by a friend and that game sure is about as subtle as a bag of bricks.

But on the other hand you can pet the dog Sumo so :shrug:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

i don’t like VR anyway :shobon: but yeah that’s an open goal missed

Messing with my headset has kept me sane this year. It is super hit and miss though. If something is bad the setup is so much work that it just doesn't make it worth it. The really good games like Tetris Effect and Beat Saber make it worth it though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

see I’ve heard beat Saber and tetris are great but i can’t justify like £500 to play a couple of games that honestly are the kind of thing you might play on your phone on the toilet

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

ChrisBTY posted:

Can anybody here think of any under the radar open world ARPGs that might scratch the itch of somebody who is feeling kinda burned on Dragon's Dogma being clearly very incomplete?

I'd recommend Xenoblade Chronicles X, but it is also very clearly incomplete. Fun while it lasts though!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I got given a copy of Detroit by a friend and that game sure is about as subtle as a bag of bricks.

But on the other hand you can pet the dog Sumo so :shrug:

if you like to laugh, its pretty funny. the main guy marcus is a bad main character because for david cage to tell the story hes trying to tell marcus cant die till late, so you dont really care about him because hes never in danger. the best part of the game, with connor and his human cop friend, is the best part because theyre both real actors and would regularly ad lib dialogue and mocap and cage hated it but everyone else loved it so it stayed in. the actors have said that a very large amount of their plotline was basically ad libs/trolling david on purpose because as written the story was bad and made no sense.

also at the end of the game you can cyberscrawl WE HAVE A DREAM on a wall during the robot uprising. david cage insists its not a game about racism, its a game about robots. its very funny

timestamped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFk9whh1xk&t=1462s

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

see I’ve heard beat Saber and tetris are great but i can’t justify like £500 to play a couple of games that honestly are the kind of thing you might play on your phone on the toilet

It's a lot more than that but I can't properly explain it. The good VR games are just flat out "you have to play it to get it" because the concepts tend to be pretty flat and dumb and hinge entirely on how cool and immersive the tech is. We got our headset as a gift, even experiencing it I don't think I'd buy one myself yet.

My personal favorite VR game is Elite Dangerous. Without VR it's a really ok space trucking sim. With VR it's HOLY poo poo I'M IN A SPACESHIP IN THE COCKPIT FLYING WITH SOME GIANT SUN OFF MY STARBOARD AS I NAVIGATE TO A STARBASE HOLY poo poo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i got into that android game until they introduced a 'magical gigantic black man' trope android. which i know is entirely in david cage's wheelhouse and he must have always loved, but it was still very irritating

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

if you like to laugh, its pretty funny. the main guy marcus is a bad main character because for david cage to tell the story hes trying to tell marcus cant die till late, so you dont really care about him because hes never in danger. the best part of the game, with connor and his human cop friend, is the best part because theyre both real actors and would regularly ad lib dialogue and mocap and cage hated it but everyone else loved it so it stayed in. the actors have said that a very large amount of their plotline was basically ad libs/trolling david on purpose because as written the story was bad and made no sense.

also at the end of the game you can cyberscrawl WE HAVE A DREAM on a wall during the robot uprising. david cage insists its not a game about racism, its a game about robots. its very funny

timestamped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLFk9whh1xk&t=1462s

Clancy Brown adlibbing explains why him and Connor have a fun relationship

Of all the so called auteurs in videogames the only good one is the Deadly Premonition guy. Kojima? Cage? Keep 'em. Swery65 though, good.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like Heavy Rain

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NienNunb posted:

I like Heavy Rain

lol

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Clancy Brown adlibbing explains why him and Connor have a fun relationship

Of all the so called auteurs in videogames the only good one is the Deadly Premonition guy. Kojima? Cage? Keep 'em. Swery65 though, good.

Hidetaka Miyazaki. I'd say Yoko Taro as well but I can see why people would disagree there. I've never played a Swery game :shrug:.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MDickie

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lumping Kojima in with David Cage is hosed

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hideo Kojima is a genius. He is criminally horny and he flew too close to the sun with Death Stranding tho

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Death Stranding was good as long as you live in an age where it's reasonably easy to get a good understanding of what that game is all about before you buy it, which we do.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Okay, here's the only other acceptable answer.

I'll be honest, I had no idea who Miyazaki is until I googled the name, those games are way more associated with the studio than one guy so he doesn't count.

And yes, I apologise to David Cage for comparing him to Hideo Kojima. You're right, that was bad of me.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I mean Miyazaki runs that studio and has been there for 16 years, you just haven't heard of him cuz he's not a weirdo, he just makes good games and stays quiet. It's also somewhat easy to confuse his name for Hayao Miyazaki, the studio Ghibli dude.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Okay, here's the only other acceptable answer.

I'll be honest, I had no idea who Miyazaki is until I googled the name, those games are way more associated with the studio than one guy so he doesn't count.

And yes, I apologise to David Cage for comparing him to Hideo Kojima. You're right, that was bad of me.

Clown, you are a clown!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/kerebrin/status/1275165881937559558

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Okay, I take it back, Dark Souls guy is an auteur

Thanks for correcting me Cavauro

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Gotts give props to my boy Masahiro Sakurai too

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

havent gamed in 8 days

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

havent gamed in 8 days

Rip

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CobiWann posted:

HZD chat.

Obligatory gently caress Ted Faro.

This should be stickied on every thread.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

I like Heavy Rain

Oh come on, I used to think you were cool!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LMFAO Miyazaki is really clearly talking about how he wants to be killed that way in a video game that he'd want to play, and Murahashi (a reporter, I assume?) is interpreting it as him saying he wants to be killed that way IRL, gently caress.

Edit: Eh actually maybe I'm reading in to it and they're on the same page, who knows.

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 29, 2020

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Brut posted:

LMFAO Miyazaki is really clearly talking about how he wants to be killed that way in a video game that he'd want to play, and Murahashi (a reporter, I assume?) is interpreting it as him saying he wants to be killed that way IRL, gently caress.

:(

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brut posted:

Edit: Eh actually maybe I'm reading in to it and they're on the same page, who knows.

no hidetaka miyazaki absolutely wants to get punched by a giant mushroom irl

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shard posted:

Oh come on, I used to think you were cool!

Just wait until you hear about my feelings on Bioshock Infinite

I like it!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NienNunb posted:

Just wait until you hear about my feelings on Bioshock Infinite

I like it!

Ban this sick filth

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Gameplay was good. Didnt like the Call of Duty style "you can hold two guns only" mechanics but it was good.

Story was bad.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Gameplay was good. Didnt like the Call of Duty style "you can hold two guns only" mechanics but it was good.

Story was bad.

An excellent summary, except the story was very bad and not just bad

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MGS2 is the best Metal Gear game 👉😜

No it's not Metal Gear Rising you weebs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

An excellent summary, except the story was very bad and not just bad