Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Gripweed posted:

Doom sucks. Take it out of the game.

Wait till you see Disease. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Disease is the worst. On new playthroughs of FFXII I go straight for the remedy lore that cures it. There's only one place in the main story where disease is cast frequently against you but it's such a bastard.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Re: Ashe

I made her a foebreaker/white mage because she's a very angry lady at first who just wants to get revenge but somewhere along the way, she focuses more on supporting and saving her people rather than her rage. But now it's a little weird since she's basically a paladin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On my latest FFXII playthrough I ended up doing this job combo (using all 12 jobs because I just like to try to do that):
  • Vaan - Red Mage/Archer. Honestly kinda :shrug: but at least he gets the Burning Bow to boost Fire spells and Ardor.
  • Balthier - Shikari/Time Mage. Really good and useful. Heavy armor boosts dagger and ninja sword damage and his survivability as a physical tank, plus he has a ton of great debuffs and Haste. When it comes time to fight Yiazmat I'll probably job change him to Shikari/Bushi just for Black Robes + Yagyu Darkblade and then change him back afterwards. But Shikari/Time Mage rocks overall.
  • Fran - Black Mage/Machinist. Black Mage has no need for a second job at all and my "use all 12 jobs" thing meant Machinist had to go somewhere. At least it gave her an extra Swiftness lore and some bonus HP. Anyway she's insanely powerful because she's a Black Mage.
  • Basch - Monk/Foebreaker. Foebreaker is just there to get heavy armor and Genji Glove access on Monk. Basch as a Monk is really cool and he's a really strong and fun melee fighter. Plus I think it fits from a story/character perspective pretty well. I also really love Knight/Bushi on Basch for both story and "kicks a lot of rear end" reasons, but:
  • Ashe - Knight/Bushi. Last time I played through I had Ashe as my Black Mage, but drat it I love it when she gets to use a sword. And Knight/Bushi is an insanely good combo. Contrary to popular belief, she's actually one of the worst katana-users in the game, but it really doesn't matter and by the time it might make even the slightest difference she's using Excalibur + White Robes anyway.
  • Penelo - White Mage/Uhlan. In retrospect it might've been more helpful to have White Mage on someone who can use Steal naturally or with a Steal-granting second job, but eh. She's a spear paladin and that kind of rules. I really like Penelo with a spear in general for some reason. She seems like the kind of character who wouldn't want to just stay on the sidelines, so she grabs a long, sharp weapon and gets in there to help her friends.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm at the point where you got to the king's tomb to get the thing to prove Ashe is the princess, and I've only gotten like a third of each character's job license board filled in. So I don't imagine I'm gonna enough LP to double jobs on any of them by the time I beat the game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Eventually you'll max out both, don't worry. If you really want to farm LP you can always go in trial mode, that gives ridic returns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm at the point where you got to the king's tomb to get the thing to prove Ashe is the princess, and I've only gotten like a third of each character's job license board filled in. So I don't imagine I'm gonna enough LP to double jobs on any of them by the time I beat the game.

You will, believe it or not, or at least you'll come very close.

One thing to note is that a character's license boards can have shared licenses. For example, if you have like a Knight/Bushi and you get the HP +150 license on one board, it'll also unlock on the other, which means you can't double-dip but it also means that your second board takes fewer LP to fill out the more shared licenses there are.

But even if there aren't many shared licenses, you'll end up with enough LP. Depending on how many side hunts you do, you might even have more than enough.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ibblebibble posted:

Eventually you'll max out both, don't worry. If you really want to farm LP you can always go in trial mode, that gives ridic returns.

I've got ten hours of play time on this save file, do later enemies give more LP or is this game super long?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I've got ten hours of play time on this save file, do later enemies give more LP or is this game super long?

Kinda both. Bosses and hunt marks give lots of LP, especially later in the game, and also there's a pretty good amount of side content. After Raithwall's Tomb you're maybe a third of the way through the main story, but if you do hunts and go hunt down optional espers and do optional dungeons, that adds a lot of fun stuff to do.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Also keep an eye out for Golden Amulets or whatever that give more LP. I had those equipped pretty much constantly since getting them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Golden Amulets give the character double LP which is pretty nice.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The problem with Knight Bushi combo is that both Excalibur and Masamune are top tier weapons for melee characters so ideally you have them on different characters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

The problem with Knight Bushi combo is that both Excalibur and Masamune are top tier weapons for melee characters so ideally you have them on different characters.

Yeah, that's one reason why Knight/Black Mage is so powerful. Just equip them like a Black Mage for dungeon crawls/mob fights and like a Knight for bosses, and they get their robes to boost Excalibur, leaving Bushi free to be paired with something else. Shikari/Bushi is fairly popular in Knight/Black Mage parties but I think that is an extremely endgame-focused setup--neither job does much for the other for most of the game until at the endgame, when it lets Shikari have both Genji Gloves and Black Robes for Yagyu Darkblade, and then in other non-dark weakness situations, you just go full Genji gear and Masamune/Kumbha as a pure Bushi.

Really though I think there are always going to be sacrifices at endgame in a "use all 12 jobs" setup, though. In my case it's having a dedicated katana-wielder at endgame, but in other cases it's other things. The actual optimal party wouldn't use all 12 jobs.

All of this comes with the usual disclaimer that there is absolutely, 100% no reason to optimize to that level at all because the game was balanced for one job per character anyway. I always feel like I need to state that in case anyone new to FFXII thinks they have to overthink job setups. Optimizing job setups in FFXII is really only worth the effort if you find the process of optimizing to be fun in and of itself.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I think I have

Vaan: Shikari/Uhlan
I gave him a daggery type job to start because that felt right, then Uhlan was pretty much what was left on round 2 of jobs.

Balthier: Machinist/Bushi
I started off with a machinist for the guns because Han Solo but it turns out guns kinda suck? So I gave him a close range job.

Fran: Foebreaker/Red Battlemage
I had no idea what to do with Fran and this is how that turned out.

Basch: Knight/Monk
I gave him knight first because he's the knightiest of the bunch and followed up with Monk for more damage and HP. He now has all the HP and still manages to die somehow.

Ashe: Black Mage/Time Battlemage
I gave her Black Mage on round 1 because I was saving White Mage for Penelo and didn't want to double up. I chose Red Mage because I wanted to give her a ranged weapon for when the MP runs out because she had some wildly anaemic HP as a Black Mage, though adding Time didn't really help that either.

Penelo: Archer/White Mage
I gave her Archer to start to play off of Vaan's melee but we used a lot of potions on our outing and I had planned to reset and make her a White Mage but then the game took her away for several hours.

In conclusion I had no idea what I was doing, I'm pretty sure I made all the wrong choices but the game isn't hard enough to really punish me for it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nah that's perfectly good. Every character has a job that doesn't really need any help so whatever second job they have is sort of a bonus, and there's at least some bonus for everyone (heavy armor for Vaan's Shikari weapons, extra speed and HP for Basch from Monk, time magick on your Black Mage, more speed and HP for Penelo from Archer to go with White Mage, etc.).

You can always reset if you want to but really any job combo is fine and won't even really make the game much harder unless you do like 6 Machinists and that's it.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My setup (Currently at Balfonheim)

Vaan: Shikari/Time Mage -

Penelo: Black Mage/Machinist

Balthier: Uhlan/Monk

Fran: Archer/White Mage

Ashe: Bushi/Red Mage

Basch: Knight/Foebreaker

Mainly I use Ashe, Fran, and either Basch or Vaan. Every time I use Penelo or Balthier they get eaten alive. I definitely need to work on everyones Gambits but I never feel like the system gets to where I want it to so I have to keep doing some things (like casting Cura when my whole party is low) manually. I should also go reset some boards but the last thing I want to bother with is unlocking a gazillion little squares for forty-five minutes straight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think one thing about the way I put together jobs in FFXII is that I try not to think only about endgame. There are much better setups I could do than what I currently have for endgame, but they wouldn't be as good for the majority of the game.

Really my other big bias in party building is that I don't like light armor. I just don't think it has anything to recommend it in a game where characters can have two jobs. A Shikari, Bushi, Archer, or Monk will benefit noticeably from being able to boost Strength with heavy armor, and anyone who casts spells can get a huge boost in both MP and Magick Power from mystic armor. Light armor gives you more HP but that's very :shrug: to me. (That's most negotiable on Bushi, who also benefits from Magick Power and can do just fine with their built-in mystic armor, even if heavy would be a bit better.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 29, 2020

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I haven't bothered with light armor at all this time around. I'm at the top of the Pharos, having paused to abuse having Reddas around for as many hunts and Espers as I can.

I used every job, trying to keep then as appropriate to the characters as possible.

Ashe: Knight/Time Battlemage - When you meet her, she's fighting with a sword and shield, and she gets the time spells in Revenant Wings. This has been a great combination, especially since the Knight's white magic can be enhanced with Espers, and it basically turns her into a paladin. Sword and shield have been replaced by the Tournesol, though. :frogc00l: To me, that's her canonical weapon as I gave it to her in the original game.

Basch: Foebreaker/Bushi - Knight is the obvious job for Basch, but to me, he was a fallen Knight to start the game, and regained his honor. Now that I'm at the end and he's got the Kumbha with the Genji gear, he's a tanky murder machine.

Balthier: Machinist/Uhlan - Machnist is obvious, and the Uhlan gives him a bit of a dragoon flair that suits him. If I remember right, he used a spear in Revenant Wings anyway. Decent combination as it matures, though Balthier has fallen off to a support role.

Fran: Archer/Red Battlemage - Fran just is an Archer, and she starts with both black and white magic, so it fits. It's turned out to be a nice combination, too, even if Fran has fallen off a bit like Balthier, though she has the advantage of clutch healing.

Penelo: White Mage/Monk - Seemed to fit her character, and holy poo poo, it's turned out to be a powerhouse. The Monk's speed boosts and health compliment the healer role perfectly, and she can even add great damage. At this point in the game, she never leaves the party even as I'm rotating everyone else out to level them.

Vaan: Shikari/Black Mage - Shikari was an obvious fit for Vaan at the start, and Black Mage is there because his quickenings remind me of black magic. It also gives him robes for the Yagyu Darkblade boost, when that's helpful. With element: weak gambits he just murders trash before anyone else gets a chance, and against a boss with a weakness that I have a staff to boost, such as the most recent example of Fafnir, he's a champ.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I never played Zodiac Age how do the 2 jobs work? Does it just mash together the 2 license boards

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I never played Zodiac Age how do the 2 jobs work? Does it just mash together the 2 license boards

You just get 2 boards that you can switch between. You only get 1 pool of license points though.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You switch between the two boards. And I think they just automatically give you overlapping licenses on one if you bought it on the other

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, you just have two boards, and shared licenses you only need to unlock once. You can switch which board you're viewing by pressing a button but they're both "active" at the same time if that makes sense. It works pretty smoothly.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

It also lets you jump around a bit. What you unlock on one board may be in a completely different part of the other board, opening more up to you.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zodiac age sounds like I would really like it

Maybe when I can travel on a plane again and need to play something on my switch in 2021, I’m playing too much ff14

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really sucks that changing your character's job doesn't change their outfit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The original version of FFXII didn't have jobs at all so they never had a reason to make other costumes

Unfortunately, because boy I wish I could change some of those outfits

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

The original version of FFXII didn't have jobs at all so they never had a reason to make other costumes

Let Basch wear his second outfit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't understand Penelo's wings

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I like how l'Cie missions appear to be the thematic opposite of monkey paw wishes. Dajh's mission was apparently to capture the Pulse l'Cie and all he did was grab his dad's legs and "meh, close enough v:v:v" *zap*.If the rules are that relaxed, it kinda makes you wonder how anybody manages to fail.

Edit: Also jesus christ, Brynhildr car really caught me off guard.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 30, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I like how l'Cie missions appear to be the thematic opposite of monkey paw wishes. Dajh's mission was apparently to capture the Pulse l'Cie and all he did was grab his dad's legs and "meh, close enough v:v:v" *zap*.If the rules are that relaxed, it kinda makes you wonder how anybody manages to fail.

You'll see a lot more later and they're purposefully cruel and impossible because They're how the Fal'Cie ensured the death of all humans on Pulse

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Harrow posted:

Every Vaan outfit would be just as skimpy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

Ashe should have an awesome Red Mage hat at the very least.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 30, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And balthier should display the cat ear hood when he's wearing it. :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Ashe should have an awesome Red Mage hat at the very least.

Agents are GO! posted:

And balthier should display the cat ear hood when he's wearing it. :colbert:

:hmmyes:

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Luceo posted:

Penelo: White Mage/Monk - Seemed to fit her character, and holy poo poo, it's turned out to be a powerhouse. The Monk's speed boosts and health compliment the healer role perfectly, and she can even add great damage. At this point in the game, she never leaves the party even as I'm rotating everyone else out to level them.

This is the most broken combo. I had the same on Penelo and I don't think she ever left the party - one of those license boards gives her the ability to recover MP whenever she's damaged, that combo'd with her being a close-range fighter and the accessory that halves MP cost made her an absolute healing goddess who would be ripping and tearing when not firing off Curagas.

FFXV chat - I finally got around to installing the base game and holy poo poo, there's a lot of DLC. Is there any that's recommended for a first-time playthrough?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all the episodes fill in some blanks when people leave your party. so if youre enjoying the game when a party member leaves then consider buying theirs and playing it. prompto's is probably the most important

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Am I supposed to do something when I do a Quickening?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

The idea is you chain Quickenings together. If you chain enough of certain types, you do bigger, more damaging move. Generally you need every character to at least have the level 1 Quickening unlocked

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gripweed posted:

Yes. You want to use the mist charges to "chain" together as many quickening attacks as possible before time runs out. The more you chain together, the better the final attack at the end will be. It's been years since I played, but:

Your characters all have up to 3 mist charges they can unlock through the record board. Each character will have a level 1 quickening attack that uses 1 charge, a level 2 that uses 2, and a level 3 that uses 3. Every time an attack starts, you get a random set of quickening options for each character, or a 'mist charge' option. If you randomly roll a level 2 quickening for a character but they only have 1 mist charge left, you can't use it. "Mist charge" will restore mist charges. If you don't get anything you can use, you can "reroll" for a new set of options, but that takes a second or two. There is a total time limit for your quickening chain, so you have to be quick in picking your options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

all the episodes fill in some blanks when people leave your party. so if youre enjoying the game when a party member leaves then consider buying theirs and playing it. prompto's is probably the most important

Do not do this with Ignis. It features end game story content and an alternate game ending, so save that for post game.