Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Someone on the yospos discord is doing it rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

freeasinbeer posted:

Someone on the yospos discord is doing it rn

There's like 900 people doing it right now. Please be patient. We're working on it from the admin/mod team perspective and we can't share much yet, this is an extremely sensitive and difficult situation.

vvv lol

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 25, 2020

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

The perfect storm: 1000s of forums users frantically trying to archive everything all at once everywhere. GBS shitposting up a million percent. Long dormant forums posters awakening to get in on the action. If Lowtax's plummeting patreon revenue doesn't bankrupt him the bandwidth bill alone this month will.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just archive the sperginvirgin threads and we’ll be good to go.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
:lol: SA will finally have working archives

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Matt Zerella posted:

:lol: SA will finally have working archives

Holy poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone use osTicket? How is it? It's becoming clear that a volunteer org I do work with needs a ticketing system and we can't afford much.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No opinions about osTicket, but don't let anyone suggest Spiceworks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

No opinions about osTicket, but don't let anyone suggest Spiceworks.

Spiceworks is better than at least five other ticketing systems

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My God tech support for SAP loving sucks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I use Freshdesk for ticketing, there's no SSO tax and the free plan might cover your requirements.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Spiceworks is better than at least five other ticketing systems

Yeah, but it’s a non-profit, they aren’t going to be looking at enterprise software.

Thanks Ants posted:

I use Freshdesk for ticketing, there's no SSO tax and the free plan might cover your requirements.

We use Freshservice and are pretty happy with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

Yeah, but it’s a non-profit, they aren’t going to be looking at enterprise software.

We used the free version two jobs ago.

Last job didn’t have a ticketing system :(

Current one uses kaseya which is not very good

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I use osTicket and like it. It's not fancy like the ITSM cloud stuff out there, but for basic ticketing it is just fine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea Freshdesk had a free tier. Might look into that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone use osTicket? How is it? It's becoming clear that a volunteer org I do work with needs a ticketing system and we can't afford much.

I tried it. It was pretty good, yeah. I put it head to head against OTRS and it held up.
Honestly I'd probably prefer it to Solarwinds Web Help Desk at this point.

I mean osTicket is free for self hosted unsupported installs so it's worth giving it a shot if you have some time to throw at it.
But just expect to throw some time at it because it will inevitably break in new and interesting ways every time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

But just expect to throw some time at it because it will inevitably break in new and interesting ways every time.

Yeah, see, this is what I don't want to have to deal with.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah the last thing you want is something to blow up randomly when you have a fuckload of clients to deal with, you need something that's stable and as easy to manage once it's setup as possible.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

AlternateAccount posted:

Who logs the... logs...men?

Thanks Ants posted:

You need to log every single event on every single server...including the logging servers?

Alright which one of you jerks told my boss to buy a NAS to log the logs from logging the SAN... and the other SAN, and that third SAN?
Also, now I gotta figure out where to save the logs from the NAS that's logging the server that logs the 3 SANs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

S3, but get his signoff so that when he gets the $1k monthly bill from that bucket alone he's got nowhere to point his finger.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

where are you going to put the s3 logs, huh smart guy

azure blob storage

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

FYI if you have Palo Altos configured to use SAML authentication - https://security.paloaltonetworks.com/CVE-2020-2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Alright which one of you jerks told my boss to buy a NAS to log the logs from logging the SAN... and the other SAN, and that third SAN?
Also, now I gotta figure out where to save the logs from the NAS that's logging the server that logs the 3 SANs.

Watching this and the responses to this makes me remember the time I was responsible for tape backups and had to take the tapes every week or so to a large shed built expressly for keeping the tapes that was built something like 13ftx10ftx10ft and was almost filled back to front top to bottom with cases of backup tapes.

edit: The happiest day of my life was when my boss finally figured out that tape backups where more expensive than just having a bunch of jbod arrays and I was told to backup only a few random tape sets and then shred the rest.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 29, 2020

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
tapegang. We had a tape robot in 3 server rooms, every Friday one of 3 of us had to drive round and swap them all out based on a list the 3rd party who managed our backups would send us, that always had an error on it, so someone had to go back out and fix it again. There was like 60 tapes with labels stuck on them in a fire safe in each room

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My first real job in IT involved managing backups for like 400+ servers, before virtualization, using Symantec Netback and some ridiculous tape libraries. One tape got sent to our other datacenter every day, the others got grabbed by Iron Mountain. The backup window was so tight that if a job failed and was not fixed within like 30 minutes, it would cause a cascading failure and backups for the night wouldn't finish. You'd then get written up. We were supposed to be on-call for 1 month at a time, but we had turnover and even though I was pretty much just a kid, I was on-call for like 4 months straight. By the end the backups were all fixed and optimized, so it wasn't so much of a problem, but I didn't get a solid night's sleep for those 4 months.

Stupid.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

My first real job in IT involved managing backups for like 400+ servers, before virtualization, using Symantec Netback and some ridiculous tape libraries. One tape got sent to our other datacenter every day, the others got grabbed by Iron Mountain. The backup window was so tight that if a job failed and was not fixed within like 30 minutes, it would cause a cascading failure and backups for the night wouldn't finish. You'd then get written up. We were supposed to be on-call for 1 month at a time, but we had turnover and even though I was pretty much just a kid, I was on-call for like 4 months straight. By the end the backups were all fixed and optimized, so it wasn't so much of a problem, but I didn't get a solid night's sleep for those 4 months.

Stupid.

Hahaa holy poo poo. My first start in IT was Windows server sysadmin, hundreds of physical and virtual servers, and the WORST part of that was backups, thanks to Symantec netbackup. We had iron mountain for tapes too, that's hilarious. Back then we had an enormous (like, 3? cabinet size) tape robot that had a cylon-style barcode reader, and that thing I swore was going to come alive and destroy me I hated it so much.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

One of my motivating factors for getting in to IT was going on a tour of the universities super computing center while I was in high school.

One of the highlights was this massive tape silo that held MORE THAN A TERRABYTE of data in the mid-90's

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hahaa holy poo poo. My first start in IT was Windows server sysadmin, hundreds of physical and virtual servers, and the WORST part of that was backups, thanks to Symantec netbackup. We had iron mountain for tapes too, that's hilarious. Back then we had an enormous (like, 3? cabinet size) tape robot that had a cylon-style barcode reader, and that thing I swore was going to come alive and destroy me I hated it so much.

I have a scar on my left ring finger. Back when I was younger I too administered an enormous tape monster and I unwisely reached in to unjam a stick tape while it was still on. It accepted my offering of blood with pleasure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yuuuuuup. This all sounds very similar. And our loving robotic tape library would also always have a random arm broken, so you were running at reduced capacity. And back then they were really dumb with how they designed mail slots. Oh, you've got a job running and it needs another 8 hours, but it's blocking the arm that you need to drop off your mailer tape in the mail slot? Too bad, that's a write-up.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I have a scar on my left ring finger. Back when I was younger I too administered an enormous tape monster and I unwisely reached in to unjam a stick tape while it was still on. It accepted my offering of blood with pleasure.

Been there, didn't ever stick my hand in there ever again. Are tapes still a common backup system for things? My tape system got decommissioned sometime in 2013

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 29, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Out of office reply set on Friday, logged out of Outlook and Teams on my phone, time to completely ignore work for a week and a half. Spending it on the beach with the family.

Take your time, people.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah. And I bet the beach doesn't get cell service either, so you can't even be called in an "emergency". Oh, what a shame.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
My boss just replied to a 110% not urgent email while up in like Martha's Vineyard or one of those other JFK-level socialite rich people play places.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

a tape library is still in my purview for a few more years until statutes run out :smith:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
4 day weekend for Juneteenth :cheers:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our office is open July 3rd. We just got told that we have a COVID case in the office, but we're still bringing back 50% next week.

gently caress.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
The best day of my first IT job was when we could retire the tape backup. God drat I hated that thing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's good to get rid of things that require you to be standing in front of them to use properly

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The day I transitioned...from a company that did tape backups to one that didn’t, was night and day. Well, as much daylight as one can find when still dealing with Netbackup at the new place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I guess I'm the only one that likes tape. When you find something that can store that much data for the cost per GB (really cost per TB now) and can be safely stored offsite without cloud storage costs and without degrading as fast and unpredictably as hard drives, let me know. Especially in the age of ransomware, a completely air-gapped non-active backup copy of data is really appealing to me just from a CYA point of view.

Of course this is also with the caveat of Veeam. Tape backup (any backup, really) that isn't Veeam? gently caress that noise.

edit: that said we have helpdesk techs to do the annoying tape management bit so I don't get the full brunt of how annoying it is anymore :v: