Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Natalie Fartman posted:

Gosh I just love it when my boss and coworkers remind me and also customers they are only wearing PPE because of me.

I mean we could be wearing it because we have a very public facing job but nah, it's the sicko who won't come back to work unless people use masks and gloves

I know they mean well, it's just very frustrating and makes me feel like an inconvenience.

Fuckers should be thankful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

palates are not universal, e.g. curries made for english consumption are not necessarily the ones you would find in india

authenticity isn't bad but isn't necessarily top priority in a dining experience

British curries are a British thing, that don’t exist the same in any *motherland* country, and as I understand it mostly aren’t even based on the food in India, more Pakistan / Nepal.

India being a huge place, has different ethnic dishes in different areas, and most of the people working in Indian restaurants aren’t from an area with food vaguely similar to the food the restaurant serves.

There are (almost always) vegetarian Indian restaurants that often cater to Indian people, have very different food, but are equally nice. Just might not be what you’re after.

With Chinese restaurants, same thing kindof, but the vast majority of Chinese migrants historically and most existing restaurants are Cantonese / Hong Kongers, so the food is very different from other regions of China as well as being Britished up.

In Birmingham there are quite a few Chinese restaurants with mainland Chinese (mostly Szechuan hot pot style) food, catering mostly to recent migrants from mainland China, and the food is fantastically different, scary hot, no translations. No idea how westernised it may be.

p.s. Imo it’s not difficult or offensive to identify Chinese students, speaking mandarin to each other in Chinatown in Birmingham as being Chinese. I work with two Chinese guys also, maybe this makes it easier.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

wooger posted:

British curries are a British thing, that don’t exist the same in any *motherland* country, and as I understand it mostly aren’t even based on the food in India, more Pakistan / Nepal.

I think you meant Bangladesh, iirc that's where most Indian restaurant proprietors were from back in the 70s or so. Nepalese cuisine is its own separate thing. That said bear in mind the whole Pakistan/Bangladesh/India boundary is only a few decades old and traditionally there was a culinary continuum over the area; north Indian food tends to be more sauce-y, meat-based and features flatbread rather than rice, much like neighbouring areas (and much like British Indian food); southern Indian food is rather different and less common over here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

Yeah I would NOT assume that the slop I get from the Golden Sun on a Friday night bears any resemblance whatsoever to any food an actual Chinese person might eat in China.

For what it's worth my wife went to China on an academic trip some years ago and she absolutely hated Chinese Chinese food :shrug: very oily apparently?

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Moved to North Yorkshire 6 months ago from the US.. where's the good Mexican food at?

Edit: or even just tomatillos!

StyleFresh fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 29, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

StyleFresh posted:

Moved to North Yorkshire 6 months ago from the US.. where's the good Mexican food at?

back over the Atlantic

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
All this curry talk made me crave for some Tayyabs and/or Needos.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

For what it's worth my wife went to China on an academic trip some years ago and she absolutely hated Chinese Chinese food :shrug: very oily apparently?

again it would depend which region she went to, china is loving massive so it would be like going to france and saying you dislike 'european' food

https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-food/eight-cuisine.htm

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Can't afford a curry tonight you swines

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol if you like food

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gon' have one of these tonight. I'm sure its very authentic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm doing a roast dinner because my sister paid for all the food and as soon as i suggested it she couldn't think of anything else she wanted

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I made roast yesterday and ate the chicken breast leftovers as an omelette filling for breakfast. Gonna have noodle soup from the stock I made from the carcass. A whole chicken is such a versatile thing, I love it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

StyleFresh posted:

hello welcome, please enjoy the incredible flavour highs and spice combinations of Mexican food in Britain

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

kecske posted:

hello welcome, please enjoy the incredible flavour highs and spice combinations of Mexican food in Britain

:negative:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

~*ExTra MiLd*~

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

The blandest thing on the menu please

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Wahaca is pretty tasty but they might only be in London

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

kecske posted:

old el paso is also sold in the us

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

Wahaca is pretty tasty but they might only be in London

they gently caress over their workers badly or did until it went public

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jose posted:

old el paso is also sold in the us

It is, but the flavours are different and slightly less terrible. 'Extra mild fried chicken fajitas' or w/e aren't so much a thing.

Edit: and yeah, good Mexican food doesn't really exist here because we're a bit short of Mexicans, sorry. Best learn to cook your own.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

StyleFresh posted:

Edit: or even just tomatillos!

I've moved here from the US almost 13 years ago and I still haven't found any decent Mexican food

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I like to think I'm a bit of a dab hand with the old Mexican cooking. Sometimes I even add a touch of smoked paprika to "spice things up"!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nova69 posted:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

we don't have good mexican food. i've had some enjoyable mexican themed meals over here but as a country we're just bad at the cuisine it seems

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
there is always tripe

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I went to a Mexican chain place once (Chiquitos maybe?) and it was so, so loving bad. It's not even like Mexican is that difficult to do decently, I don't know why everywhere fucks it up so badly

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Nova69 posted:

Thank you, Jam-ess

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

freelop posted:

Apparently Chinese takeaways had to invent their own curries when they started in the UK because people weren't sure what the food was.

I can totally believe that because where I am there are still people who don't trust it

is that what the generic chinese curry sauce is from?

fridge corn posted:

I've moved here from the US almost 13 years ago and I still haven't found any decent Mexican food

i really like las Iguanas though it's probably nothing like real mexican food which ive probably never had.

the best food i've ever had was in america. it was a spanish restaurant in Orlando and i loving loved the tapas steak. it was like these little thin cuts of steak which were perfect.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 29, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

kecske posted:

I've heard people call them say them with the J like in juice here too

Captain Splendid posted:

Thank you, Jam-ess

Just want to let ya know I get this reference :parrot:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The only way to get decent Mexican here is to make it yourself. I’ve taught myself to make a pretty decent version of Taco al Pastor now using pork shoulder, and you can order cans of Tomatillos and packs of proper Mexican chillies off Amazon. I’m currently working on making some Birria for my next taco project - which is apparently the trendy thing in US taco stands right now

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

hemale in pain posted:

i really like las Iguanas though it's probably nothing like real mexican food which ive probably never had.

las iguanas is mostly a huge mishmash of mostly south American food tho? There might be a few Mexican dishes on the menu but 'm not sure. Had a few meals there but mostly only go there when Malibu is doing free pina colada day :v:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

feedmegin posted:

It is, but the flavours are different and slightly less terrible. 'Extra mild fried chicken fajitas' or w/e aren't so much a thing.

Edit: and yeah, good Mexican food doesn't really exist here because we're a bit short of Mexicans, sorry. Best learn to cook your own.

there's lots of Central American people living in Liverpool but of course most do not own or run any authentic Mexican restaurants lol

I really like "Tortilla" and Mission Burrito but I've simply only ever had burritos from them and nothing else so I can't really judge.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Thanks y'alls, RIP old el paso. We tried Las Iguanas when we first got here but it didn't hit the spot. There's another latin-themed restaurant in town but their burritos were plain. We'll try the canned tomatillo/peppers thing on Amazon because I've been craving chile verde! Lupe's Cantina in Leeds looks like a classic Mexican spot so might drive down to give it a shot sometime. Haven't tried Wahaca in London yet but next time I'm down that way I'll check it out!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

browse the cookbook online imo to get, uh, a flavour

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Tortilla was good for a chain restaurant (citation needed) and reliable to have a burrito. The tacos were okay, too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

why the gently caress did i eat all of that cheese i am in so much pain

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Bobby Deluxe posted:

eat all of that cheese

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Weaknessdisgustsmememe.jpeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Because you have a calcium deficiency.