Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

PetraCore posted:

Yeah that's the thing that kills me - they're married. They've definitely discussed it or know what's comfortable for the other person. It's not a fresh D&D group where you'd want to ban ic flirting bc boundaries.
That and everyone knows that Laura Bailey is naturally flirty and has the subconscious level of humor of a twelve-year-old boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

As much as I have my shipping preferences in CR, this is why I really liked in Dimension 20 that all the love interests were NPCs. At least that way, there's maybe a step back on the projection front for some people.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Crazy Ted posted:

That and everyone knows that Laura Bailey is naturally flirty and has the subconscious level of humor of a twelve-year-old boy.

She was probably also taking advantage of the fact that Travis has been open about not wanting his characters to ever be in relationships, and trolling him to an extent.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
You should never be too serious about anything, but particularly TWO things: being unserious, and shipping.

Oh no, serious just stopped looking like a word now.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Patrovsky posted:

As much as I have my shipping preferences in CR, this is why I really liked in Dimension 20 that all the love interests were NPCs. At least that way, there's maybe a step back on the projection front for some people.
Every time Griffin had to do a romance scene with one of his brothers in TAZ, it was both funny and horrifying, so NPCs don't necessarily save it.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

There’s some dueling brain worms going on where some people are incapable of separating the players from their characters and assume that they endorse everything their characters do, and others who have abstracted the characters so distantly from their players that they can’t comprehend real world factors and motivations informing certain actions and character traits.

Both camps would benefit greatly from logging the gently caress off.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have basically been a superfan of this show since I found out about when season 1 was still single digit episodes long. I'd describe myself as being a member of the fandom for exactly 0 of those days. I continue to feel like I've made the right call on that.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Speaking of boundaries I love how in the latest NT the version came that came out at the end is just as plausible as what it started with.

Can't wait for the next one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

Voltron fandom is one of the most toxic "communities" I know of and I've been in and out of fandom spaces since I was in middle school. And worse, it was such a big fandom that it ended up poisoning the well for a lot of other communities, leading to the spread of garbage like "sibling coded" or "you're a pedophile if your ship has an age gap of more than X years [number varies by person], no it doesn't matter if both of them are adults."

Not to derail too much, but this was absolutely correct. While there was a lot to complain about the politics and story elements in Voltron it seems the loudest would, without fail, pick exactly the wrong reasons to be upset and all of them relating to shipping. Same thing sort of happened with The Dragon Prince.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Not to derail too much, but this was absolutely correct. While there was a lot to complain about the politics and story elements in Voltron it seems the loudest would, without fail, pick exactly the wrong reasons to be upset and all of them relating to shipping. Same thing sort of happened with The Dragon Prince.

My exposure to the dragon prince fandom was mostly just the thread on this very forum; how did shipping even factor into fan grievance? Like, the relationships are pretty clear cut in that show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

My exposure to the dragon prince fandom was mostly just the thread on this very forum; how did shipping even factor into fan grievance? Like, the relationships are pretty clear cut in that show.

There it was apparently the show's creator leading some fans to think one of the characters was bisexual (and this was the weird part, he did it in Twitter DMs to the fans themselves and like who does that) and of course the character was never written as such. Both shows were super bad about representation from the top down.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

There it was apparently the show's creator leading some fans to think one of the characters was bisexual (and this was the weird part, he did it in Twitter DMs to the fans themselves and like who does that) and of course the character was never written as such. Both shows were super bad about representation from the top down.

Oh so it was an ehasz thing.

I thought it was pretty cool how there were two onscreen same sex kisses and it was neat that there was a deaf character who was treated like a normal member of the cast, but I'm not deaf so I can't really comment on the quality of representation there, and IIRC the LGBT rep veered into "bury your gays" territory at a steady clip.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Media tends to be getting better about having LGBT characters, even if it's mostly LGB it feels like, but that doesn't mean writers are great at using them yet. It's progress, but man, still kind of disappointing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm just glad that the absolute worst that people could find was "kind of a bit rubbish company practices. If you squint" about the whole thing.

Part of me is just glad that I can still be supportive whilst also ignoring the whole "deep fandom lore" again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

PetraCore posted:

Media tends to be getting better about having LGBT characters, even if it's mostly LGB it feels like, but that doesn't mean writers are great at using them yet. It's progress, but man, still kind of disappointing.

I'm far from the most aware of this kind of thing, but from my limited view the general knowledge about trans people as a whole had a later start than knowledge about lesbians, gays or bis. As in, I can't remember ever not knowing about the existence of lesbians, gays or bisexual people through cultural osmosis of some kind, be it comics, TV, books etc. even before I was sexually aware to any degree at all, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't aware that transgender people, asexuals etc. were a thing people identified as until my late teens or even early 20s. The collective term was initially LGB after all, and the rest only started getting added over time. I was initially going to say that the LGBs started pushing for recognition or rights decades before transexuals (or any of the other people cast in to that collective net of LGBTQ+), but on second thought they've presumably been trying to get some kind of equality with centuries or even millenia rather than decades (that failure to immediately know the breadth of their struggle being a good sign of just how limited my view is, I'd assume) while the other gender and sexuality issues are probably more recently recognized, so if lesbians, gays and bis are only making any kind of significant in-roads now, then it kind of makes sense that the rest would be a ways behind them.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 28, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

tsob posted:

I'm far from the most aware of this kind of thing, but from my limited view the general knowledge about trans people as a whole had a later start than knowledge about lesbians, gays or bis. As in, I can't remember ever not knowing about the existence of lesbians, gays or bisexual people through cultural osmosis of some kind, be it comics, TV, books etc. even before I was sexually aware to any degree at all, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't aware that transgender people, asexuals etc. were a thing people identified as until my late teens or even early 20s. The collective term was initially LGB after all, and the rest only started getting added over time. I was initially going to say that the LGBs started pushing for recognition or rights decades before transexuals (or any of the other people cast in to that collective net of LGBTQ+), but on second thought they've presumably been trying to get some kind of equality with centuries or even millenia rather than decades (that failure to immediately know the breadth of their struggle being a good sign of just how limited my view is, I'd assume) while the other gender and sexuality issues are probably more recently recognized, so if lesbians, gays and bis are only making any kind of significant in-roads now, then it kind of makes sense that the rest would be a ways behind them.
Yes, I agree with this. In my even more limited experience of works with positive trans representation, I've noticed transfeminine and nonbinary characters more than transmasculine characters, which is a bit weird! Still, headway is being made and hopefully in 20 years I'll feel like an old fossil about the ways things are now.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
You should watch the documentary “Disclosure” on Netflix, it just came out. It’s about the history of trans representation in media, specifically film and tv, and it’s fascinating and heartbreaking and so surprisingly hopeful that I was just in awe. I literally just finished watching it so I’m glad that I can recommend it already.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 28, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

the gently caress is sibling coded

honestly this area of the fandom reads like QAnon just on a different breed of madness

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
As a guideline, I try not to get too invested in what other people think about the relationships between fictional characters.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That and you're looking at real people who have real relationships with each other that don't have anything to do with their characters.

You mean, like movies or television? The main difference is that there's no costumes, prosthetic/extensive makeup, props, or sets.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

As a guideline, I try not to get too invested in what other people think about the relationships between fictional characters.

You mean, like movies or television? The main difference is that there's no costumes, prosthetic/extensive makeup, props, or sets.

There is a huge difference between actors playing off a script and actors improvising, especially when two of them are married outside of the context of the show. I personally am weirded out by ships of Jester and Fjord with anyone else, at least until Travis and Laura clearly indicate that they aren’t going to get together. Obviously campaign 1 played out differently and that was awesome, but they clearly entered this campaign thinking about having a character romance and I’m happy to respect that.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Silynt posted:

There is a huge difference between actors playing off a script and actors improvising, especially when two of them are married outside of the context of the show. I personally am weirded out by ships of Jester and Fjord with anyone else, at least until Travis and Laura clearly indicate that they aren’t going to get together. Obviously campaign 1 played out differently and that was awesome, but they clearly entered this campaign thinking about having a character romance and I’m happy to respect that.

They didnt though? Laura deliberately had jester have a crush on fjord, but nothing travis has said indicates he planned anything or intends anything

Half-related but travis cuts cakes like a psychopath according to lauras instagram
https://instagram.com/stories/laurabaileyvo/2341967850017033752?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=k7agfii5bnqf

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He always did have trouble removing parts of a whole.

Reverse math, if you will.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I should clarify. I have no problem separating the characters from the people playing them, and I admit I have my own preferences regarding who should end up with whom. Where it gets weird for me is when people analyze the body language of players who aren't always in character or insist on relationships regardless of whether the players would feel comfortable portraying it in an improvised, face-to-face setting.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
As a complete aside, my prediction for Tal's narrative telephone is going to be his original idea for Molly. Mollymauk Tealeaf telling the story of the Terrible Tinkerer of Tal'Dorei.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The first of Danis recaps in preparation for ep 100 is up

https://critrole.com/critical-recap-critical-role-campaign-2-so-far-e1-e26/

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm starting to feel like I might be in a minority in that I just don't give a poo poo what romantic pairing a story goes with in 99% of cases and I'm more invested in whether the pairing the story goes with is well written, interesting and/or entertaining or not. I don't even particularly mind if it's not well written, interesting or entertaining, since a lot of romance stuff in stories where it's not the focus isn't great, but if I was to have a concern about the romance aspect of a story it'd be "is this good", not "is this the pairing I want". Which isn't even a concern with Critical Role honestly, since the cast have such great chemistry and improv skills that I am 100% confident it'll be at least okay regardless of who ends up pairing with who.

That said, I did think Guilmore/Vax was more entertaining than Keylith/Vax in campaign one, just because Matt and Liam tended to bounce well off each other and have some fun interactions, but then, if they had become a couple, Liam would probably have ramped up the melodrama of that relationship instead of his interactions with Marisha, where I probably enjoyed Guilmore/Vax specifically because they were mostly just having fun rather than trying for any real depth in their relationship.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

tsob posted:

I'm starting to feel like I might be in a minority in that I just don't give a poo poo what romantic pairing a story goes with in 99% of cases and I'm more invested in whether the pairing the story goes with is well written, interesting and/or entertaining or not. I don't even particularly mind if it's not well written, interesting or entertaining, since a lot of romance stuff in stories where it's not the focus isn't great, but if I was to have a concern about the romance aspect of a story it'd be "is this good", not "is this the pairing I want". Which isn't even a concern with Critical Role honestly, since the cast have such great chemistry and improv skills that I am 100% confident it'll be at least okay regardless of who ends up pairing with who.

That said, I did think Guilmore/Vax was more entertaining than Keylith/Vax in campaign one, just because Matt and Liam tended to bounce well off each other and have some fun interactions, but then, if they had become a couple, Liam would probably have ramped up the melodrama of that relationship instead of his interactions with Marisha, where I probably enjoyed Guilmore/Vax specifically because they were mostly just having fun rather than trying for any real depth in their relationship.

This is kinda why I like Shadowgast as a concept, since Essek fits into Liam’s penchant for melodrama perfectly. However, there are people who would cry bloody murder if that ship doesn’t materialize and I will never understand that.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lucas Archer posted:

As a complete aside, my prediction for Tal's narrative telephone is going to be his original idea for Molly. Mollymauk Tealeaf telling the story of the Terrible Tinkerer of Tal'Dorei.

My prediction: Percy describing the creation of his guns. Using as many steampunk-sounding words as possible to confuse everyone

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
So basically, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm thinking that Matt really needs to do one as the Black Powder Merchant from Campaign One.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm thinking that Matt really needs to do one as the Black Powder Merchant from Campaign One.

Hearing everyone trying to talk like Victor would be absolutely amazing. Marisha did a pretty funny impersonation before, but I would love to hear everyone else try.

\/\/ Aside from the time that Sam was legit angry and frustrated, Narrative Telephone has been pretty great. One of the best parts about it is watching the cast reactions to realizing how off the mark they are to the previous tellers story. I do feel pretty bad for Ashley though, even though her segments are amazing.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 30, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

So it sounds like I need to listen to Narrative Telephone.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The Repo Man posted:

Hearing everyone trying to talk like Victor would be absolutely amazing. Marisha did a pretty funny impersonation before, but I would love to hear everyone else try.

\/\/ Aside from the time that Sam was legit angry and frustrated, Narrative Telephone has been pretty great. One of the best parts about it is watching the cast reactions to realizing how off the mark they are to the previous tellers story. I do feel pretty bad for Ashley though, even though her segments are amazing.

They’ve all managed to have at least one good and one terrible attempt (maybe excepting Ashley). It’s interesting to see how visual most of them are, especially as I’m very auditory myself and remember things I hear more easily than things I read.

Sam’s wife making a cameo appearance was amazing in one of the episodes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Narsham posted:

They’ve all managed to have at least one good and one terrible attempt (maybe excepting Ashley). It’s interesting to see how visual most of them are, especially as I’m very auditory myself and remember things I hear more easily than things I read.

Sam’s wife making a cameo appearance was amazing in one of the episodes.

And who can forget the Mind Palace.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

The Repo Man posted:

Trying to work out which one you mean about Sam, liams story?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Trying to work out which one you mean about Sam, liams story?

In Pike's story, the cast point out how pissed Sam was at the end of his telling of the story. You can kind of hear it in his voice too. Sam was exhausted and their producer reminded him that he said he would do his recording that night.

I'm pretty sure it's the only time Sam has ever shown any annoyance on any CR show that I can recall.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Look at his face when he finished his story. He was so done with that poo poo and just wanted to go to bed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Repo Man posted:

In Pike's story, the cast point out how pissed Sam was at the end of his telling of the story. You can kind of hear it in his voice too. Sam was exhausted and their producer reminded him that he said he would do his recording that night.

I'm pretty sure it's the only time Sam has ever shown any annoyance on any CR show that I can recall.
Yeah IIRC Sam said it was about 10:30 PM after working all day and having a difficult night with the kids and them Max texted him, "Hey so are you going to do your part of Narrative Telephone today like you said you would?"

But the hilarious thing about that was that he managed to almost bring the story back down to its original two minutes in length.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

If some people havent seen it, some people have made a searchable database of CR transcripts
https://twitter.com/sil/status/1277987761212076032?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Level 12 hitpoints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvcrm4RIc_o