Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
how does all of this hold up against full metal jacket

I certainly wouldn't call the Vietnamese humanized in that movie but the Americans hardly look good in that flick

while we're on the subject, what did you think of the Ken burns Vietnam war doc. I'm an unapologetic Ken burns fan and although the tone of the doc was definitely exceptionalist as hell i thought it was just really really well edited and the Vietnamese interviews were uniformly spectacular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Aglet56 posted:

I certainly wouldn't call the Vietnamese humanized in that movie but the Americans hardly look good in that flick

while we're on the subject, what did you think of the Ken burns Vietnam war doc. I'm an unapologetic Ken burns fan and although the tone of the doc was definitely exceptionalist as hell i thought it was just really really well edited and the Vietnamese interviews were uniformly spectacular

I learned a lot but found it pretty exhausting, even consumed over the course of a couple of months; though a lot of that is inherent in the source material. Tonally it felt kind of like Burns having a midlife crisis and buying a motorcycle. I enjoyed last year's Country Music a lot more, that felt like a return to form for him.

Speaking of Burns, I saw a clip of him on CNN making a pretty unequivocal condemnation of Confederate generals as national figures and as human beings, which I thought was kind of odd coming from him, since The Civil War's stance on them was pretty... nuanced, sympathetic, balanced, humanizing, bad, whatever you want to call it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Speaking of Burns, I saw a clip of him on CNN making a pretty unequivocal condemnation of Confederate generals as national figures and as human beings, which I thought was kind of odd coming from him, since The Civil War's stance on them was pretty... nuanced, sympathetic, balanced, humanizing, bad, whatever you want to call it.

That was mostly Shelby Foote's influence and he's not around to speak kind words about traitorous generals in a whiskey-and-honey tinged voice anymore.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Also The Civil War was made what almost 30 years ago now so it's possible he may have changed.

After reading The Perfect War and Kill Everything That Moves, anything that doesn't fully admit the policy of genocide the US pursued in Vietnam isn't being a honest documentary. Christ even as "fair" as Ken Burns Vietnam was it still would constantly bring up Ho Chi Minh purging Landlords and it still stuck with the narrative that the war was a mistake prosecuted with the best intentions. Christ I couldn't even finish watching it it felt so disingenuous at parts.

Which yeah the problem with every American Vietnam war movie is the war it's something that happens to us and the Vietnamese are just there and probably not grateful for the freedom we bring. An echo that you see in Iraq war movies as well. Which The Hurt Locker outs a prime example, it's an "anti- war" movie just because it completely breaks the protagonist as a person and that's it. Even though the movie explicitly tells you, you have to be harsh and mean to the Iraqis because treating them with respect will get you killed. gently caress that movie, can't believe it was nominated for best picture

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Aglet56 posted:

It's been a while, but I remember thinking Full Metal Jacket was more of a critical response to the established media invented myth of the Vietnam war and its American combatants, then it was an attempt to contextualize them as war heroes rejected by a nation that couldn't understand their experience because it wasn't as black & white as WW2. System is bad, system broke men, men became beasts that learn to appreciate their animal nature. They're tragic, but in no way heroic.

I think that's why everyone talks about the first part being the "good" half; it's has a satisfying arc, black humor, and the characters are still recognizably "us". The second half is where it becomes a bummer, because the Americans are monstrous and the big arc there resolves with joker engaging in the ritualized coup de grace of a teenage girl that allows him to accept what he has been made into and be transformed into something fearless by it.

Ultimately though, it still has very little to do with the Vietnamese people and what was done to them; Kubrick was just an extremely pessimistic Silent Generation guy who didn't like any of us, so the tone is a lot different than stuff made by boomers exploring the conflict with a bias toward redemption. He's less charitable to us, but that doesn't mean he's more charitable to them, imo.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Aglet56 posted:

Vietnam: A Television History is the best american made documentary I have ever seen about the war, it is pretty expansive, 13 full hour episodes and has a ton of interviews with north vietnamese and viet kong

just a great viewing experience

it is so good, a right wing counter-documentary, Television's Vietnam: The Real Story, narrated by charlton heston was made as a rebuttal to the documentary

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

General Dog posted:

It’s a valid criticism, but at the same time it’s kind of cooked into any war movie with a focus on foot soldiers that the enemy will be something of a scary, faceless other.

Even starship troopers shows that their enemy is capable of feeling fear.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

a right wing counter-documentary, Television's Vietnam: The Real Story, narrated by charlton heston was made as a rebuttal to the documentary

How was that one?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

General Dog posted:

How was that one?

really not fair to the vietnamese people imo

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

Even starship troopers shows that their enemy is capable of feeling fear.

Doogie's proclamation at the end was clearly bullshit.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I've been thinking about it and Heaven & Earth by Oliver Stone is the only US made Vietnam War film coming to mind that tells the story from a Vietnamese person's perspective. Doesn't mean it's the only one, but it's the only one I can think of that deals with the people of Vietnam in conflict with themselves and America. I haven't seen it since I was like twelve though, so don't ask me if the messaging is on point.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Laterite posted:

Doogie's proclamation at the end was clearly bullshit.

there's that great shot of a wounded bug warrior who's struggling and clearly terrified and ace just machineguns him

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i think war movies are just extremely hard to make in a way that isnt vaguely propagandistic no matter what you do which is why there arent that many of them coming out anymore. even if you structure the entire plot around humanising both sides like the mel gibson iwo jima movie ( or whatever i cant remember) then it can still fall into being weird troop worship

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmQAsyFE-Mc

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

General Dog posted:

It’s a valid criticism, but at the same time it’s kind of cooked into any war movie with a focus on foot soldiers that the enemy will be something of a scary, faceless other.

yeah but its especially jarring in the case of vietnam movies because the faceless mooks getting mowed down are the actual heroes.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hollywood is incapable of making a war film that isn't troop worship because they're so intertwined with the US military.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/hollywood-cia-washington-dc-films-fbi-24-intervening-close-relationship-a7918191.html

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

babypolis posted:

yeah but its especially jarring in the case of vietnam movies because the faceless mooks getting mowed down are the actual heroes.

Well everybody’s the hero of their own story, except maybe child molesters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The CSPAM appropriate Vietnam documentary is Hearts and Minds

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

I've been thinking about it and Heaven & Earth by Oliver Stone is the only US made Vietnam War film coming to mind that tells the story from a Vietnamese person's perspective. Doesn't mean it's the only one, but it's the only one I can think of that deals with the people of Vietnam in conflict with themselves and America. I haven't seen it since I was like twelve though, so don't ask me if the messaging is on point.

I'm also reading the hey Arnold thread in the sci fi forum so I'll direct you to the mr. hyunh episode in hey Arnold

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Aglet56 posted:

I'm also reading the hey Arnold thread in the sci fi forum so I'll direct you to the mr. hyunh episode in hey Arnold

I am haunted by the history and unknown fate of Stoop Kid.

Serf
May 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

its been a while since ive seen it but weirdly the mel gibson oorah vietnam movie devotes a bit of time to the vietnamese; doesn't actually go into why they're fighting but the enemy is at least humanized. probably because the book it's based on was jointly written by the us and nva commanders at the battle

if you're talking about "we were soldiers" i remember watching it back in the day and being struck by how much of the vietnamese side of things it showed and actually takes the time to set the war up by talking about how it was a french imperial holding before the revolution, which isn't something i've seen discussed in any other piece of vietnam war media

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

General Dog posted:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I'm enjoying Powerup Comics' new foray into Gamer Dilbert

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1277817738531164166?s=20

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1277822917141770240?s=20

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1277827612300230656?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

skooma512 posted:

Vietnam went communist and the SE Asia went on to destroy the world.

Nah, they got the westerners off their back finally, stayed communist and everything was fine. A westerner can show up there and despite everything we did, there really isn't too much revanchism and people will leave them alone.

The funny thing is that from the Vietnamese POV the Americans were an action-packed filler arc between the French and the Chinese.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Hollywood is incapable of making a war film that isn't troop worship because they're so intertwined with the US military.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/hollywood-cia-washington-dc-films-fbi-24-intervening-close-relationship-a7918191.html

Much as I hate J. J. Abrams, he did refuse US military aid for Super 8 to make the american military the villains.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Trufant said anti-war movies are impossible since the visual language of movies makes it look cool

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1278132604584288256

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

General Dog posted:

you underestimate the power of the dark side of the Force the human need to rationalize their actions

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Started watching Night Man today, it really sucks so much rear end, I love it

https://i.imgur.com/XUYBFip.mp4

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

Started watching Night Man today, it really sucks so much rear end, I love it

https://i.imgur.com/XUYBFip.mp4

And I assumed Always Sunny made it up wholecloth.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

for your further amusement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jPWGEoyJHY

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mysterious frankie posted:

I am haunted by the history and unknown fate of Stoop Kid.

Stoop Kid is a spectre that haunting Europe.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Tear down the Columbus statue in Chicago and put up a statue of Friedkin.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has an episode where the incel son of an ambassador tries to make his outdated android the only functional one left so he can pretend it's his girlfriend, only for it to betray him to the authorities and tell him it doesn't love him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading a Tom Clancy novel because I love swimming in absolute trash and I wanted to share a snippet of what's supposed to be a winning Presidential campaign:

quote:

[Michael] Lawrence could be ruthless, blind, and stubborn. But if nothing else, he had a vision for the country that was bold and intelligent and was just starting to work. For a year prior to announcing his candidacy, Florida Governor Lawrence had met with industry leaders and asked if, in exchange for considerable tax breaks and deferments, they would buy into the privatization of NASA with the government managing all launches and facilities, the companies assuming most costs for personnel and R&D. In effect, Lawrence was proposing to boost the space agency's budget nearly threefold without going through Congress. Moreover, government expenses on space would be cut by two billion dollars, money that Lawrence earmarked for crime fighting and education. He also suggested that one-third of the new blue-collar workforce for NASA be culled from welfare, making for an annual savings of half-a-billion dollars.

US industry agreed to the plan, and Lawrence's campaign advertisements reminded Americans of the lost glory of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo days, of blue-collar and white-collar workers laboring side-by-side for a common goal, of high employment and low inflation. He tied them all together, and hammered voters with views of existing spinoffs-personal computers and calculators, communications satellites and cellular phones, Teflon and portable video cameras and video games-and with visions of anticipated spinoffs-medicines to cure cancer and AIDS, space-based generators to convert solar energy into electricity to reduce costs and reliance on foreign oil, and even weather control. During the campaign, every time his opponent argued that the money would be better spent on Earth, Lawrence countered that Earth had become a sinkhole, swallowing up jobs and tax dollars, and that his plan would put an end to that... and also end foreign inoads into technological advances that were stealing American jobs.

Lawrence won handily, and as soon as he was elected he met with those same business leaders and the new heads of NASA to get some tangible results, fast, while they worked on getting the space station into orbit before the end of his first term. Leading the abandoned Russian space station Nevsky, they put medical researchers and engineers in space, and within eighteen months Press Secretary Adrian Crow's spin machine was touting the developments: most startling of all were images of a young medic, paralyzed below the waist in Desert Storm, playing zero-gravity basketball with an astronaut. The President had cured the lame, and it was an image people would never forget.

He never actually says what party he's from, though it's heavily implied that he's a Democrat (which is itself this clever trick that Tom Clancy pulls where all the "good" Presidents are Democrats, even if they always have the politics of a conservative)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

gradenko_2000 posted:

(which is itself this clever trick that Tom Clancy pulls where all the "good" Presidents are Democrats, even if they always have the politics of a conservative)

Clancy's far from the only one who does that. It's a favorite tactic of the NeoLiberal consensus to portray fictional Democrats pursuing hyper-conservative policies in order to move the Overton Window ever further right. A rather prominent recent example was the Netflix House of Cards adaption which, before the whole thing with Spacey being a pedophile rapist derailed it, was all about a Democrat who pursued such "sensible" and "moderate" positions as abolishing Medicare.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

see also all of the west wing

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

So I'm about 45 issues into my Cerebus read and it's a great comic so far. The extended political drama arc about a cynical barbarian aardvark clawing his way into the prime minister position of a city state that started in High Society did not sound like it would work, especially since the comics preceding it worked so well explicitly because they were satires of fantasy novels and comic book trope that only ran 1-5 issues, but it's great.

There's no obvious misogyny yet and though the one main female character operating in the comic is a selfish manipulative bastard she's also a career politician and all of them are presented this way, so... you know. Jaka seems poorly rendered so far; she's heartbroken because she's so in love with Cerebus and sees that he could be better but it makes no sense, given that, at this point, they met once prior while he was drugged. I'm sort of thinking her appearances are not literal and are more like his subconscious telling him he's moving further away from the life he needs in pursuit of the things he wants, given we only see her with him when he's alone and brooding.

At worst so far Sim comes off as your basic scifi\fantasy writer who doesn't seem particularly interested in writing about women. Even knowing the veer he's going to make further down the line, I have a feeling I'm still gonna end up taken off guard.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He doesn't lose it for like 100 issues. There's even a proto woke author comment guy who scolds the poo poo out of cerebus about issue 110.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Reading that Tom Clancy quote makes me feel like the monkey that asks why