Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I was having a look at decent games in the XCOM vein and I saw Fort Triumph https://store.steampowered.com/app/612570/Fort_Triumph/

Does anyone own it and can give me a Yay or Nay on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Xander77 was kind enough to gift me World's End Dawn, which I've spent a couple of hours playing today. It's a Harvest Moon-alike which is actually a pretty fun alternative to Stardew Valley. It doesn't have the polish of Stardew Valley, but it's got its own style. It feels closer to OG Harvest Moons in how it controls and there's a diverse cast of characters to meet up with. And you start off with a doggo, which instantly gives it a 10/10 in my book.

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 30, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm really enjoying Monster Train so far, I liked StS but was never able to come close to beating it and doing repeated runs got less and less fun for me so I just kinda drifted away from it. I haven't tried anything but the first two decks so far but I'm really loving protecting the heavy hitter demon cards behind the huge tanky guys with thorns that you get from the green deck. My best run came from getting the artifact from the start that randomly plays 4 summons on your second floor at the start of every battle. Normally monster size effects how many you can have out on a floor at a time but because of this artifact it always played 4 no matter what, so I buffed the poo poo out of those huge 50/50 beast cards and the huge tank dudes and purged anything from my deck that wasn't a big beefy boi. Eventually my middle floor was so stacked nothing could make it past it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj7a-p4psRA

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

I have an extra code for this if you want it. I can send it via email since you don't have PMs.

Ah wish I had seen this before but I took the plunge and bought it already! Thanks anyway

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

explosivo posted:

I'm really enjoying Monster Train so far, I liked StS but was never able to come close to beating it and doing repeated runs got less and less fun for me so I just kinda drifted away from it. I haven't tried anything but the first two decks so far but I'm really loving protecting the heavy hitter demon cards behind the huge tanky guys with thorns that you get from the green deck.
I, on the other hand, clicked very well with StS

Monster Train: genius evolution, or more of the same?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I need a "play randomly installed game" button on steam

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

With spinning wheel and music! customizable!

https://thewheelhaus.com/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Thanks, but it doesn't know what's currently installed.

Used "all games view in home, figure out how many per row, and your favorite online RNG. slightly more involved but entirely possible" instead and it pointed me to Six Ages

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

It's a different game, really. The only thing they have in common is that they're both permadeath deckbuilders.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shrecknet posted:

I, on the other hand, clicked very well with StS

:stare:

Monster Train takes the StS formula you know and (really) love, but does change up a lot so that it ends up feeling like a completely different game outside of the deck building aspect of it.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I know people don't like him but here is some relevant backlog content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_UAIkSX0E

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Culling my summer sale purchase and trying to decide between Space Haven and Rimworld. Are they two very different games?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ughhhh posted:

Culling my summer sale purchase and trying to decide between Space Haven and Rimworld. Are they two very different games?

They're very different games with I guess some similar concepts. In both games you're not directly controlling the people, you set up commands and they carry them out automatically. Rimworld is fantastic and has been through years of EA to be perfected, Space Haven is still very early on and is extremely light on content. If you're looking for a colony management thing I can't recommend Rimworld enough.

Edit: That said I think Space Haven will be a very good game and there is still fun to be had in there now but a lot of the systems are underdeveloped or not there at all and the combat/raiding in the game is real bad. I bought it and played for an hour or so before refunding, but will keep it on my wishlist because I want to revisit it maybe a year down the road.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ughhhh posted:

I have 300 hours in Rimworld, and I'm still excited for finding new stuff to do in it. The modding scene is VERY robust so you can make your game your own.

Space Haven meanwhile is still... honestly I haven't played it yet but I hear it's good with not yet enough stuff to do in it, and there's not much of a modding scene (yet?)

Rimworld is hands down the better value for your money.

e: Oh man yeah Space Haven is on Alpha 9, which is to say it's super early access. I'd keep an eye on it if I were you and buy it a lot later. By contrast Rimworld is on 1.1 and fully feature complete.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 29, 2020

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks, will go with rimworld. Let's see what hell I can impose on my poor digital colonists.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You should not stand for anything less than mandatory weed every morning. Lungs are replaceable which is important because the Rimworld weed smoke is incredibly damaging, for some reason e.g. game balance.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

You should not stand for anything less than mandatory weed every morning.
:hmmyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thinking about getting either Treachery in Beatdown City or Friends of Ringo Ishikawa, tough decision

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's not the exact same thing, but they just released a new shelf you can add to your library's home page 'Play Next' that will crunch numbers and recommend you games from your library.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh boy, here we go. After making me wait a few days (which tbf, middle of a sale, I get it, I don't need the money *right now*) Steam support spat back a boilerplate "uh, we don't give refunds after 2 weeks yadda yadda" response which isn't gonna cut it when Ubisoft has basically stolen my copy of AC3.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ghostlight posted:

It's not the exact same thing, but they just released a new shelf you can add to your library's home page 'Play Next' that will crunch numbers and recommend you games from your library.

'Play Next' tends to recommend things that are already popular. It's going to feel very safe.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Shrecknet posted:

This rules

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I have an actual Steam client question. How the hell do you get more than one friend in to voice chat? Each time I tried to conference someone in, a new chat window opened and cut off voice chat with the other person.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ghostlight posted:

Play next keeps recommending me games I own and have already beaten. The top two recommendations are Skyrim and Civ V, both games I have hundreds of hours in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have an actual Steam client question. How the hell do you get more than one friend in to voice chat? Each time I tried to conference someone in, a new chat window opened and cut off voice chat with the other person.

Use discord.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Helith posted:

I rarely post in this thread but wanted to pop in to say that the Outer Wilds is so good, I love it.
You should get it too if you don’t already have it.

I wanted to play it but it turns out it terrifies me to my core. I got as far as landing on the dark-rear end moon and looking around in darkness triggers the danger sense of my brain and keeps it on, its extremely unpleasant. I'd be open to actual suggestions and to how I can get over this fear. I'd like to be able to play this and Subnautica, they both look like fun, but I just can't handle them :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

opinion post time as I sort through my gift train haul - I'm playing things for 5-15 minutes and judging them:

Six Ages: it's King of Dragon Pass but new and different! ... unfortunately it's still not my type of game? Like, it just hasn't gelled with me. I respect it but it's getting uninstalled.

Rabi-Ribi: the most anime metroidvania ever. I'm down for playing more, as I savequit just as I found the hammer.

Space Haven: yep that's an early access game. I'm really looking forward to it! ... but it goes into the waiting for update folder.

Harvest: Massive Encounter: "i'm an RTS" no you're not, you're a cool tower defense with resource collection. Yeah I want more.

Neo ATLAS 1469: It feels like edutainment but it's certainly not educational, but drat if I'm not enjoying it. It's half visual novel as you get to know your stylized portugese admirals, and half extremely light trading sim with a neat mechanic where you send ships out to explore the world... and you decide if their reports are accurate or not. If you want North America to be a series of islands, that's up to you. I find this one extremely soothing? Partly because there's a touch of hidden object game too as you scroll around the world looking for stuff. Also, yes, I'm a sucker for foreigners not quite getting Western History right.

Barotrauma: Too fiddly for me, but I like the atmosphere. I'll watch an LP of this I think.

Perimeter: ah right it wants to run in 800x600 and needs a patch from a Russian website to work and I'm not up for that yet.

Forget Me Not: Click click click. Yep it's an idle/clicker but I like the weird off-putting aesthetic as I grow kidneys.

Undead Horde: interesting twist on the twin-stick-shooter from 10tons, where you lead around skeletons and raise new ones from your defeated enemies.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I wanted to play it but it turns out it terrifies me to my core. I got as far as landing on the dark-rear end moon and looking around in darkness triggers the danger sense of my brain and keeps it on, its extremely unpleasant. I'd be open to actual suggestions and to how I can get over this fear. I'd like to be able to play this and Subnautica, they both look like fun, but I just can't handle them :(

I found it helpful going through the cycles and avoiding the one planet for quite some time.

There is so much simply chill and beautiful stuff in it which may make it easier over time to deal with the more scary poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Bill_Thorpe_LNR/status/1277270231313002502

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Look Sir Droids posted:

I haven't used it in a long time, but my buddies and I would use the chat room of our steam community group and start voice chat from there rather than the 1-on-1 chat windows. Steam's had about 4 or 5 major updates since then so I'm not sure if it still works the same way.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

fallen order's combat is generally looser/sloppier and a lot more forgiving, plus there are difficulty options

also you have telekinetic superpowers, of which there is a noticeable dearth in sekiro

Sonel posted:

I would say fallen order is more on the Sekiro side, it has a specific idea in mind for taking out enemies generally and you get force powers upgrades so you can switch things up somewhat. You can get some new outfits for the main character, light saber crystals to change the blade color, skins for your robot buddy and various parts of the light saber to customize into different styles but they are just cosmetic. You use the same light saber that will get a couple upgrades, it's not like dark souls where you have different kind of swords, spears, a big club etc. I also found Fallen order to be okay, and $30 is a fair price for it if you're a fan of star wars.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Fallen order has difficulty settings so it never requires you to master anything like Sekiro if you just want to screw around with light sabers in a fun great looking game
A bit late, but thanks for the feedback and impressions--I held off this time, but left it on my wishlist for the future when I don't already have a handful of new games that I haven't played yet.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

well, it's something

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's rough, these things are never logical and I feel for you :glomp:
The main thing to know is that Outer Wilds is about puzzles and exploration, it's not a game where you fight. You don't have a weapon and there isn't anything that is waiting to attack you in the dark. You do die a lot because you are in a time loop and you get reset but your deaths are environmental, you run out of air, you take too much fall damage, you fall into a black hole and float in space until your air runs out, the sun goes supernova etc (I don't know if that makes it better or worse for you!). Your character treats this as another puzzle, why am I in a time loop, what's going on here? your deaths are a mechanic and part of the puzzle.

I haven't come across too many dark areas in the parts of the game I've played so far, that moon is dark and there's a water planet where the sea is murky, you have a flashlight, you could also turn your gamma down so that it's physically brighter for you on your screen maybe.

I don't know whether any of this helps you, but I did want to try and maybe other goons who have played it could add on to it for you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

while outer wilds is indisputably great and I recommend it to almost everyone, there's no getting over the fact that almost every planet exploits some fear which may be hard to get over for some

Giant's deep: Thalassophobia
Brittle hollow: Acrophobia
Ember twin: Claustrophobia
Dark bramble: jesus christ why

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

while outer wilds is indisputably great and I recommend it to almost everyone, there's no getting over the fact that almost every planet exploits some fear which may be hard to get over for some

Giant's deep: Thalassophobia
Brittle hollow: Acrophobia
Ember twin: Claustrophobia
Dark bramble: jesus christ why

I also found it pretty unsettling to stand on the surface of Ember Twin, with the gigantic sun passing overhead right there goddamn

There's also the generally present threat of making a mistake that sends you drifting away into space without enough fuel to get back to a planet, floating helplessly as you slowly run out of air.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
We all could use some fresh therapy material in these trying times. Come back from the quarantine with a new phobia or two.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I was never able to complete Untitled Goose Game due to anatidaephobia

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Triarii posted:

I also found it pretty unsettling to stand on the surface of Ember Twin, with the gigantic sun passing overhead right there goddamn

There's also the generally present threat of making a mistake that sends you drifting away into space without enough fuel to get back to a planet, floating helplessly as you slowly run out of air.

If you go and talk to Gabbro a second time on his island on the water planet he teaches you to meditate which is basically a reset button for your loop, you wake up back in the village without having to wait to die. Really handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

e: Vlad belongs on a fresh page.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 30, 2020