Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Angry Salami posted:

Or just imports are a bit more reliable now the station's been running for a few years and everyone's a bit more confident it's not going to explode or disappear.

That's got to be part of it, not exploding was a big part of B5's mission compared to the earlier stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Or they're drinking some weird, highly processed Nu-Caff that's sorta like coffee if you're still waking up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Angry Salami posted:

Or just imports are a bit more reliable now the station's been running for a few years and everyone's a bit more confident it's not going to explode or disappear.

:hmmyes:

This is a good explanation.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Polaron posted:

Or they're drinking some weird, highly processed Nu-Caff that's sorta like coffee if you're still waking up.

Zima brand coffee

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
With Big Zima gone coffee companies are able to ship actual beans to Babylon 5 freely.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Fresh from the hills of colombia, can anyone in space hear you scream for your cream?

Thanks to this thread im rewatching this with my wife, season 1 is rough but holy hell babylon squared is such a great episode.

And im really enjoying reading about y'all reactions so keep posting tia

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Fresh from the hills of colombia, can anyone in space hear you scream for your cream?

Thanks to this thread im rewatching this with my wife, season 1 is rough but holy hell babylon squared is such a great episode.

And im really enjoying reading about y'all reactions so keep posting tia

Glad you're enjoying it again! Don't forget to shut the gently caress up in here, and join us in the TVIV spoiled thread if you want to talk. :D

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i'm more interested in figuring out how Garibaldi managed to get all of the parts to a 1990s motorcycle shipped to him unassembled

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheAardvark posted:

i'm more interested in figuring out how Garibaldi managed to get all of the parts to a 1990s motorcycle shipped to him unassembled

Junkyard diving is a thing even today.

As to why Garibaldi was building it: that's entirely non-story related so I can tell you. The WB Network were running a competition to promote their evening roster in which the first prize was a Kawasaki Ninja. To enter required watching Babylon 5, Time Trax or Kung Fu: The Legend Continues to answer a question about the show, and so all three shows featured the bike as product placement. This wasn't too hard for Kung Fu or Time Trax as they were both set in the present day, but for B5 they needed to find an excuse and that was it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TheAardvark posted:

Lots of time on Space eBay.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
but then they made a big deal about how hard it was for him to get the ingredients for Bagna Cauda! shipping an entire bike up there must have been insanely expensive !!!!

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

TheAardvark posted:

but then they made a big deal about how hard it was for him to get the ingredients for Bagna Cauda! shipping an entire bike up there must have been insanely expensive !!!!

Not necessarily. I'm sure mass factors into it somewhat, but I would assume shipping some perishable foods would be more expensive, as you would want it shipped very quickly, or in an appropriately chilled state. A bike is just another load of machinery

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TheAardvark posted:

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Not necessarily. I'm sure mass factors into it somewhat, but I would assume shipping some perishable foods would be more expensive, as you would want it shipped very quickly, or in an appropriately chilled state. A bike is just another load of machinery

Yeah, it's explicitly getting the food before it spoils that's the issue.

If you've ever had anything shipped overseas - like some friends of mine from the UK to Australia - it apparently can get very hot in the containers.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He explicitly states that it's taken him years to get the bike parts together

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

We know it’s TV because if it was real life there would have been about four seasons of “wait... this part isn’t a KZ-458T/12 - it’s a KZ-485T/12!!!! :argh:” before it was put together.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
maybe that did happen but lennier space magiced away the problem

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah, it's explicitly getting the food before it spoils that's the issue.

Also quarantine for organic stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
S2ep09 - The Coming of Shadows

“The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between.”

Ooh, Centauri Prime! Our first look at an alien homeworld, I think? Oh, it’s just some curtains and a chair. The emperor seems like a wannabe reformer, but at the end of his life, how effective is that meant to be? Shake it up while you’re still able to, not because you’re reaching your twilight years, and only start to consider that maybe you weren’t perfect. Saying sorry is a good place to start though. Stealing all of G’Kar’s thunder was certainly worth that.

All the Centauri court machinations are very pre-revolutionary France, and feel very dated and unnecessary in this sci-fi future setting, but I can’t hate it. It’s like proto-GoT scheming and intrigue.

There’s a very uncomfortable and currently relevant read in the first scene between G’Kar and Sheridan, with Sheridan calling for Decorum. G’Kar is right that the Emperor is a symbol of all the oppression that his people faced at the hands of the Centauri, and his anger is certainly justified, even if the man visiting didn’t actually perpetrate any of that himself. The emperor sits at a position granted by the crimes of his family and the blood on their hands.

I’ve heard the Kah’Ri (thanks subtitles!) mentioned a few times before, and I assume it’s the Narn govt? Ruling Council? So G’Kar approached them with the plan ‘imma go stab the emperor, it definitely won’t have any repercussions.’ And the Narn government were all “Yes, solid plan, G’quanspeed.”? Hilarious line in the scene after where G’kar is complaining about the Emperor having ‘the indecency to start dying on his own’.

SINCLAIR! interesting he’s keeping his ear to the ground with his rangers. That’s a wrinkle I wouldn’t have predicted, I assumed the series was basically done with him. His warning to watch the shadows felt very Doctor Who. :P Nice to see he sent Delenn a message too, but it’s curious this seems to be the first time she’s heard from him since his departure.

Vir pleading with Londo not to destroy the colony had major Guillermo/Nandor energy. Vir acting as Londo’s conscience is rather compelling. Watching Londo himself know he’s falling brings home how self-aware he is. We’ve seen before that Mollari is all too cognisant of his status and suffers no illusions about his failings. Here is no different. He knows exactly who is is, and what he’s doing. He gives the impression he even feels bad about it when he fails to meet Vir’s eye.

Londo’s dream (vision?) is a terrifying glimpse into a possible(?) future. Didn’t Londo mention last season that he and G’kar will both die with their hands around each other’s throats? Nicely prophetic, and with the way TV works, I feel like we’ll probably see this come to pass in some way or another.

Utterly gripping throughout, and special praise must go to Katsulas as MVP for the sheer amount of work he puts on the screen. G’kar’s anger is extremely valid, and his howling as he attempts to make people understand exactly what is happening, because it’s all happened before, and once again people are just standing by silently.

Glad the emperor got to meet a Vorlon as he wanted. :gbsmith:
“How will it all end?”
“In fire.”

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 30, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The subtitles were wrong, it's Kha'ri

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The_Doctor posted:

“How will this end?”
“In fire.”

Possibly my favorite episode of S2, contender for my favorite episode of the series, an easily my 2nd favorite line of dialogue. Beaten only by "Understanding is a three-edged sword"

Oh, third place also goes to this episode btw:

"He said: Continue. Take my people back to the stars."
*moments later*
"What did he say REALLY?"
"He said that we are both damned."

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 29, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The subtitles were wrong, it's Kha'ri

:argh: Well, not Carrie as my ears heard in the first season. G’Kar’s more of a Miranda anyway.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

Junkyard diving is a thing even today.

As to why Garibaldi was building it: that's entirely non-story related so I can tell you. The WB Network were running a competition to promote their evening roster in which the first prize was a Kawasaki Ninja. To enter required watching Babylon 5, Time Trax or Kung Fu: The Legend Continues to answer a question about the show, and so all three shows featured the bike as product placement. This wasn't too hard for Kung Fu or Time Trax as they were both set in the present day, but for B5 they needed to find an excuse and that was it.

That's hilarious, I had no idea

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The_Doctor posted:

“The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between.”

“How will this all end?”
“In fire.”

Buckle up Doc.

And so it begins.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

gently caress, was trying to quote myself and ended up editing my post to nothing. :cripes:

This is what I wanted to add as a post thought:

I realised suddenly this must be a vision. In it, Londo sees one of the alien ships flying overhead, and he’s not actually seen one before now. He’s talked to Morden, and the thing happens. He never sees the means of how those things occur. Ergo, this is information coming to him from the future. :stare:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Uhh. We need a mod to restore that posts previous version. It was an exceptionally good reaction spot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve re-posted my notes, but I edited a lot more once I’d pasted them into the text box.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Uhh. We need a mod to restore that posts previous version. It was an exceptionally good reaction spot.

If they can do, that would be amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The_Doctor posted:

If they can do, that would be amazing.

your faith in radium is touching

(no, sorry)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sebmojo posted:

your faith in radium is touching

(no, sorry)

Ah shame, alright, thanks. I’ll re-edit my notes version tomorrow morning then. Sorry guys :/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikusR posted:

Also quarantine for organic stuff.

Also that was during the blockade.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
S2E8 A Race Through Dark Places
Cool a scene on Mars

Oh God are Sheridan and Delenn going to bang

Wow that guy leering at Delenn lol

I hate the thing they always do when someone is talking on a video chat, where they turn away from the screen. I realize it's for us to see the emotions but it's super noticable when it happens every time.

gently caress, forced impregnation.

drat it don't try and endear me to Dr. Franklin, show

I love batteries of psychics.

I feel like the Talia long plot is moving at a snail's pace.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alright, updated my original post with some extra bits, but I can’t remember some of the points I wrote. :sigh:

I’m honestly almost tempted to watch the ep again...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Since a few people are coming up on the latter part of season 2, it's worth mentioning that episodes 16 and 17 were originally intended to air in the opposite order. It's fine to watch them either way, but there is something that works slightly better if you take the intended order.

After season 2, every episode aired in the intended order.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
S2E9 - The Coming of Shadows
Hell yes Centauri homeworld. Whoa the emperor doesn't have hair, and also he seems pretty cool. Not as expected.

It's weird to remember that the Narn were apparently a peaceful society before the Centauri invasion.

I don't know if that really tracks with any of the Narn we have met from a behavioral standpoint. I guess they might just be fiercely xenophobic, which wouldn't result in war if you were on your own planet.

The Emperor is interested in Vorlons. Interesting.

no G'Kar don't do it :ohdear:

Sheridan joined the military before the war.

We haven't seen Na'Toth in ages. Her actress switched didn't it? I really liked the last one.

Psychics can link across light years? I guess this would actually fit - Humans didn't get hyperspace technology until aliens showed up.
I could see a link between hyperspace and telepathy that could be used to explain why we suddenly have human telepaths in the future.

Also no Kosh for ages.

Oh gently caress! The Emperor just collapsing. Oh please don't force them to believe Dr. Franklin.

Vir standing up for righteousness again.

GIANT FLAME HAND! Flashes of future Emperor Londo and future badass G'Kar killing eachother!

poo poo, he actually got Morden alerted? Here come the shadows again.

Welp so much for all the people trying to do things.

Ah god I hate dramatic irony scenes like this one between G'Kar and Londo. G'Kar embraces peace but LOL we all know that they're about to be at war anyway.

They address Garibaldi's second, Zac, by name finally.

drat they got an exit scene out of O'Hare.

Lol Sinclairagorn's Rangers

God I feel bad for G'Kar again.

Well played, Sheridan.

I am pretty surprised that the Centauri are just accepting of the fact that they just took a colony by an impossible show of force.
Wouldn't there be a lot of people in the court (Refa especially) who would be wondering what Londo had gotten them in bed with?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I'm sure I've said it already, but Katsulas and Jurasik are the best things about the whole show.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TheAardvark posted:

S2E9 - The Coming of Shadows

I am pretty surprised that the Centauri are just accepting of the fact that they just took a colony by an impossible show of force.
Wouldn't there be a lot of people in the court (Refa especially) who would be wondering what Londo had gotten them in bed with?

You may have noticed that most of the Centauri have a somewhat inflated opinion of themselves and their society, particularly vis a vis their superiority over the Narn

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheAardvark posted:

The real explanation for stuff like that is always so the story can continue, but to me even the episodes seen so far support this. They put on a sophisticated air and the costumes and stuff give off strong Napoleonic France energy, but to me the Centauri ruling folks we see seem way more violence-focused and feudal in a Roman empire sort of way where like, other Centauri see Londo pull that off, it's not "how the gently caress did he do that," it's "clearly the Molari family is extremely prosperous, maybe this guy could be emperor some day", like, we conquered the Narn, ergo the Narn are dogshit compared to us.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Groke posted:

I'm sure I've said it already, but Katsulas and Jurasik are the best things about the whole show.

I think Furlan is usually underrated. She gets saddled with a lot of exposition and a lot less opportunity for emotional outbursts, but does a fascinating job. But we should save this discussion for when the blind watchers have finished S5 and are ready to revisit their impressions for the last time.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Narsham posted:

I think Furlan is usually underrated. She gets saddled with a lot of exposition and a lot less opportunity for emotional outbursts, but does a fascinating job. But we should save this discussion for when the blind watchers have finished S5 and are ready to revisit their impressions for the last time.

I absolutely adore Furlan's voice and delivery. I have a TV crush on her based on voice alone.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Delenn could be played completely straight and arch, but she’s got a really good twinkle in her eye, and a sly smile.