Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation
Hit Mythic (90%) with less than 24h to go in the season with Sultai Vito, went 8-0 through diamond 2/1. Ashiok was really the glue it needed as its a great way to mill and get back vito after you inevitably dump every copy of him with your mire tritons. Deck is surprisingly solid against the azorious / bant bullshit.

code:
Companion
1 Yorion, Sky Nomad (IKO) 232

Deck
1 Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths (THB) 209
3 Necrotic Wound (GRN) 79
2 Yorion, Sky Nomad (IKO) 232
2 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath (THB) 229
2 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
2 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
2 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
1 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
3 Swamp (IKO) 268
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
1 Polukranos, Unchained (THB) 224
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
2 Glowspore Shaman (GRN) 173
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
3 Command the Dreadhorde (WAR) 82
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Mire Triton (THB) 105
3 Forest (IKO) 274
4 Healer of the Glade (M20) 176
2 Island (IKO) 265
3 Kitesail Freebooter (XLN) 110
3 Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose (M21) 127
2 Skull Prophet (IKO) 206
2 Ashiok, Sculptor of Fears (THB) 274
1 Return to Nature (THB) 197

Sideboard
2 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
2 Return to Nature (THB) 197
3 Scavenging Ooze (M21) 204
1 Kogla, the Titan Ape (IKO) 162
2 Massacre Girl (WAR) 99
2 Eliminate (M21) 97
2 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
Now that I get a whole day to run jank at mythic I'm going to try and make Azban Yorion a "thing" with the below. Any suggestions for sideboard or otherwise?:

code:
Companion

Deck
3 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
1 Forest (IKO) 274
1 Izoni, Thousand-Eyed (GRN) 180
3 Bastion of Remembrance (IKO) 73
2 Daxos, Blessed by the Sun (THB) 9
2 Swamp (IKO) 268
3 Overgrowth Elemental (M20) 187
2 Plains (IKO) 262
2 Charming Prince (ELD) 8
3 Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose (M21) 127
4 Cruel Celebrant (WAR) 188
2 Griffin Aerie (M21) 22
3 Serrated Scorpion (IKO) 99
3 Indulging Patrician (M21) 219
1 Planewide Celebration (WAR) 172
3 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
2 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
3 Indatha Triome (IKO) 248
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
2 Nethroi, Apex of Death (IKO) 197
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
2 Bolas's Citadel (WAR) 79
1 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
1 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
1 Temple of Plenty (THB) 248
2 Swamp (ELD) 261
2 Forest (M21) 273
3 Mythos of Nethroi (IKO) 97
4 Healer of the Glade (M20) 176
3 Fiend Artisan (IKO) 220

Sideboard
3 Scavenging Ooze (M21) 204
2 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
2 Heroic Intervention (M21) 188
2 Shatter the Sky (THB) 37
3 Necrotic Wound (GRN) 79
2 The Elderspell (WAR) 89

an cow fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
please stop killing poor pollywog symbiote, he's just a 1/3 :(

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ex post facho posted:

please stop killing poor pollywog symbiote, he's just a 1/3 :(

They're killing the hopes and dreams that he represents.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I've started a youtube channel where I'll be posting some drafts each week, unfortunately M21 is my first upload but check it out if you're interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlNIlXy9DQc

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Mono-U is indeed quite good atm and it's just like every other fast deck in that it's nearly brainless when the draws line up and one of the most difficult decks to play when they very much don't line up

The main difference compared to like mono-R and other all-out aggro decks is that it tricks you into feeling smart even when you just do the easiest poo poo, improving your self-confidence! Also, you care a lot more about pacing yourself vs dumping everything on the board and saying go. But it's still basically the same poo poo.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Mono-U is indeed quite good atm and it's just like every other fast deck in that it's nearly brainless when the draws line up and one of the most difficult decks to play when they very much don't line up

That’s a very good way of putting it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

fadam posted:

Being real for a sec: Mono u is a fine deck and seems well positioned against most of the best historic decks. I don’t think anyone in this thread has anything against the deck itself (although it is very obnoxious to play against imo, but the secret nobody wants to admit is that all of the best decks in every format are obnoxious to play against) it’s just that the discourse surrounding it while it was in standard was awful (some guy in this very thread unironically said talking poo poo about it is classism because it’s fairly cheap to build lol) and it’s funny to make fun of.

I also like to say Mono-iqU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sedisp posted:

I also like to say Mono-iqU

LOL

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Living the dream in draft : Double Vision + Experimental Overload + a full graveyard. Valuetown.

still went 1-3 in the end

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
For some reason unranked queue always makes me feel really good about myself. It's just an endless line of people playing a couple shrines or casting a couple cheap spells and then dying without ever revealing what their deck was even supposed to do.

Insurrectionist posted:

The main difference compared to like mono-R and other all-out aggro decks is that it tricks you into feeling smart even when you just do the easiest poo poo, improving your self-confidence! Also, you care a lot more about pacing yourself vs dumping everything on the board and saying go. But it's still basically the same poo poo.

This sounds like exactly the deck for me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

For some reason unranked queue always makes me feel really good about myself. It's just an endless line of people playing a couple shrines or casting a couple cheap spells and then dying without ever revealing what their deck was even supposed to do.

Same that’s why I only my play pick up basketball against children and scrabble against ESL students.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fadam posted:

Same that’s why I only my play pick up basketball against children and scrabble against ESL students.

Some ten year old deked the poo poo out of me the last time I tried to play pick-up soccer. But he sucked at boxing.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
this deck is a weird twist on doom/danse (bad) since it's one of my favorite archetypes but pretty hilarious when opponents do the slow mouseover Sanctum of Shattered Heights like "wait how did discarding a land trigger a lightn--- ah gently caress". it takes fooooooreeeeevvveerrrrr to set up. could probably be improved.

doom of sanctums

2 Sanctum of Fruitful Harvest (M21) 203
2 Sanctum of Shattered Heights (M21) 157
2 Sanctum of All (M21) 225
2 Sanctum of Calm Waters (M21) 68
2 Sanctum of Tranquil Light (M21) 33

2 Elite Guardmage (WAR) 195
1 Dream Trawler (THB) 214
2 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44

2 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
2 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61

2 Absorb (RNA) 151
4 Shatter the Sky (THB) 37
3 Chromatic Lantern (GRN) 233
3 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187

2 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
2 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1

2 Plains (IKO) 262
2 Forest (ANA) 60
2 Mountain (M21) 270
2 Swamp (IKO) 268
2 Island (IKO) 263
1 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Temple of Abandon (THB) 244
2 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
2 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
1 Indatha Triome (IKO) 248
1 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
1 Savai Triome (IKO) 253
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251

Sideboard
2 Sanctum of Stone Fangs (M21) 120
3 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
2 Clear the Mind (RNA) 34
2 Soul-Guide Lantern (THB) 237
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
1 Discontinuity (M21) 48
1 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
1 Flood of Tears (M20) 59
1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 29, 2020

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah, when you play a t2 curious obsession it's really good at going underneath all of the ridiculously powerful decks and then just never letting them resolve their spells. When you don't have a t2 curious obsession you have to make serious decisions about what to let resolve and what you need to dea with. It's often really hard to figure out a game plan is where you can beat for enough damage before they just overwhelm you with more powerful plays.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How much would a 1/1 in a non-relevant tribe with flying, flash and draw on combat damage to a player cost? 1UU?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Insurrectionist posted:

Gruul and mono red actually are hard to get 100% out of judging by the plat and diamond grinders I see staying at a 50.5% winrate

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

fadam posted:

How much would a 1/1 in a non-relevant tribe with flying, flash and draw on combat damage to a player cost? 1UU?

I dunno they print such unreasonable cards at this point that if it was 1U or UU I wouldn't be surprised

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

PerniciousKnid posted:

Speaking of this, I ran into someone in Ranked Gold playing some kind of Red Artifact deck. Is this a thing??? I regret nothing more in life than killing them before they revealed what the hell their deck was

Edit: They were playing those artifact creatures with Adamant, and some Solemn Simulacrums

Edit 2: Oh was it a "Big Red" Ugin deck? Well gently caress them and gently caress Ugin

Funkdreamer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 29, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fadam posted:

Sea dasher octopus has two of those three on a 2/2 body for 1UU.

Of course the mutate is also relevant.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't think UUU would be crazy honestly.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Funkdreamer posted:

Speaking of this, I ran into someone in Ranked Gold playing some kind of Red Artifact deck. Is this a thing??? I regret nothing more in life than killing them before they revealed what the hell their deck was

Edit: They were playing those artifact creatures with Adamant, and some Solemn Simulacrums

Edit 2: Oh was it a "Big Red" Ugin deck? Well gently caress them and gently caress Ugin

Most of the artifact decks with red Ive seen are just aggro decks with the red for embercleave.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fadam posted:

Somberbrero posted:

I don't think UUU would be crazy honestly.

This makes the most sense to me. it sounds like a 3.5 CMC creature to me, UUU is close enough to that

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I think UU is fine for a 1/1 Flash/Flying/Draw on damage, but I'm probably a horrible person

Maybe give it "sacrifices itself when targeted" to appease the cavemen crowd

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hmmm what about a 1/1 with flash flying for U, but you can 3U to draw a card at instant speed???

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

Hmmm what about a 1/1 with flash flying for U, but you can 3U to draw a card at instant speed???

Seems like a playable but not overpowered or obnoxious card, you should apply to the next Designer search, I could definitely see WotC printing something like this.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
A 1/1 UU with flash that has "When this enters the field, you may counter target spell or activated ability that targets you or a permanent you control."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Look just give me a 1/1 flying hexproof for U so that I can actually use Mutate without fear of losing my ludicrous board sweeping mutant.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fadam posted:

What's the rarity?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Somberbrero posted:

But what if it also had two relevant tribes to it?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

GrandpaPants posted:

Look just give me a 1/1 flying hexproof for U so that I can actually use Mutate without fear of losing my ludicrous board sweeping mutant.

Look just give me a 3/3 haste hexproof indestructible for RRR so I can make control players fuming mad

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Look just give me a 3/3 haste hexproof indestructible for RRR so I can make control players fuming mad

If you want to make Control players mad just play Gruul lol.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
klothys + soul-guide

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

One of these days I will have the wc to do this in Historic

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
apropos of nothing, white sucks so much haha. Anything it wants to do is done better than other colors. Might as well just remove it entirely I think

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
*mutates a cubwarden into ur face*

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

:actually:

I just googled a couple Gruul lists and I had enough WC to build one of them! Now to go get owned! :v:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So I think I may have stumbled on something fun and not ugin ramp! Definitely not tier 1, but maybe could be tier 2? I'm still polishing it, but I feel like there's some synergy with Malefic Scythe and Demonic Embrace, basically making any creature at the very least +4/+2. I have Cat Oven in there because putting a scythe on a cat every time you sacrifice it is pretty funny.

I'm using Seasoned Hallowblade as my main enchantment/equipment carrier because its very difficult to deal with. I had a game against mono-red where I was attacking with a Hallowblade with a Shadowspear, making him a 4/2 trample lifelink, except my opponent had a Tibalt. So I was swinging with a 4/2 indestructible at Tibalt so I could gain life, and he had 6 1/1s but no Cavalcade. This one creature was chewing through devil tokens, that first strike amass guy, just all his 1/1s had to jump in front to protect his Tibalt. After killing about 8 creatures, he finally let Tibalt die, but by then he was too far behind on board. I had another game where I was keeping a Rotting Regisaur from attacking because I got a Demonic Embrace on my Hallowblade making him a 6/2 mostly-indestructible.

As far as other creatures to suit up with Malefic Scythe, Demonic Embrace, and Shadowspear, I have Alseid of Life's Bounty, because it can protect my other creatures, and if it has the Scythe, it even charges it up while protecting! I also have Silversmote Ghouls, because I have a few different sources of lifelink, so its not uncommon to gain 3 life and bring them back repeatedly. Cauldron Familiar is a great creature to give the scythe to, especially with witch's oven. Finally, I have 2 Castle Ardenvale and 2 Dawn of Hope for late-game token making against decks with a lot of removal.

I'm also running 3 maindeck Lurrus and 1 Sorin for more lifelink, and 2 Archfiend's Vessel because he has lifelink so he's a good equipment holder, and he's also occasionally a 5/5.

This deck is pretty good against aggro, Seasoned Hallowblade is amazing. Its great to trade basically any card in your hand for one of their creatures or removal spells, the lifelink slows them down, and I can eventually go wider AND taller. I'm having trouble vs the bant and sultai decks though. They have LOTS of exile removal, and like most decks, I insta-lose to a resolved Ugin. To fix that I have 3 Agonizing Remorse and 2 Necromentia in the sideboard. I also have 3 Gods Willing to help protect against some of that exile removal, and 3 Murderous Rider. I think he should be main deck, but I don't know what to cut. I have 2 more slots in my sideboard so I just stuck 2 stonecoil serpent but that's probably not right.

Anybody try anything like this? Have any suggestions for the deck? Should I be using Hushbringer or Eidolon of Obstruction? I feel like this is kind of like those All That Glitters decks, but that feels a little too all-in. I like that if I lose my creature, I can just throw my equipments and enchantment on another one and keep hitting.

Also all the numbers are weird and I have too many 3-ofs

Yes I know this is just worse rakdos sac.

I'm also wondering if the deck would be better with lurrus as the companion, and cutting the Silversmotes and the Embraces and Sorin and replacing them with Kaya's Ghostform and burglar rats or something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Funkdreamer posted:

Yeah this took a round off me at diamond actually. Adamant artifact guy to draw, Solemn Simalcrum for ramp and draw on death, Irencrag Feat to ramp directly into Chandra or Ugin, and that Porphoros spell as creature or PW removal or generating an enormous hasted token to kill.

I played an Eldraine big red deck that did something similar but also had the 7 mana adamant nuke for hilarious swing turns and also Stonecoil Serpent as a mana dump for enormous Teferi immune attacker. Might be fun to try that deck again with Ugin back.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I've been playing unranked since I reached gold and it's actually fun. Makes me wish there was an unranked historic queue, now that I bought a half price pack of Domino's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I've been playing unranked since I reached gold and it's actually fun. Makes me wish there was an unranked historic queue, now that I bought a half price pack of Domino's.

There is! Just click play and select your Historic deck. It'll have the ! but ignore it and it'll let you play anyway.