Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Are you over 20? (Legit question here but don't answer, just a factor in the dynamic.) If'n you're buying this chair with your own money just tell him to gently caress off (by which I mean buy a new chair without telling him), if he worked hard to earn the money to buy the chair there already than you worked to buy the chair you want.

Obviously I don't know your situation or your parents, but I do have a cheap as hell Staples chair and its not functional as a full workday chair, you deserve better. If its not going to result in your homelessness maybe play up the 'they make better chairs these days' angle.

I've got parents on the far edge of the boomer cohort who 'back in my day' every now and then, but 'your day sucked' tends to work if I'm paying for something myself, but they're pretty easy going folks on the whole so I can't promise success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
So long as you don't throw the old chair away he should have no reason to complain, he might say the chair is "nice" but it's entirely within your rights to spend money on something you think is better than nice, let him use his nice chair himself. Good luck though, it can be hard enough dealing with irrational people even when they aren't your parents.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

You're both right. I'm going to go to Ikea and pick up a Markus on Friday (unless anyone has any other recommendations for "good enough for one summer" office chairs that I can get quickly).

God am I going to get an earful about it though. When I bought a new mattress to replace their 20-year old Sam's Club mattress that they had in my old room my dad told me: "The mattress was fine. Why do you always waste money on things just to insult me?"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Rosalind posted:

You're both right. I'm going to go to Ikea and pick up a Markus on Friday (unless anyone has any other recommendations for "good enough for one summer" office chairs that I can get quickly).

God am I going to get an earful about it though. When I bought a new mattress to replace their 20-year old Sam's Club mattress that they had in my old room my dad told me: "The mattress was fine. Why do you always waste money on things just to insult me?"

Wow, they seem to be a level beyond even my in-laws.

I mean, it'd be nice if stuff lasted forever, but not everything does. Sorry that they take that so personally, I know how much that sucks :(

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
"if the chair is so nice you sit in it all day, dickhead"

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
It was an "executive chair", doesn't that basically qualify it as not suitable for working. It's designed for sitting back, crossing your arms in front of you and letting the underlings to try to talk them out of the current mess.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I am 6'8 and 300 lbs. I think a little long in the torso. I am not working from home, and aside from that I would normally spend a few hours a day on my computer. I currently just have some basic chair that I got from Costco and I am just not comfortable for long periods of time in this, frankly I've sat in chair that were at my office and those were better. I did a little cursory research and saw that I am almost on the size chart for the Herman Miller Aeron size C. Are there any other chairs that I should be looking at? Ideally I would like to just buy a chair and be happy with it for years. I would like to have something that would last and not just make me miserable after a few hours.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

I am 6'8 and 300 lbs. I think a little long in the torso. I am not working from home, and aside from that I would normally spend a few hours a day on my computer. I currently just have some basic chair that I got from Costco and I am just not comfortable for long periods of time in this, frankly I've sat in chair that were at my office and those were better. I did a little cursory research and saw that I am almost on the size chart for the Herman Miller Aeron size C. Are there any other chairs that I should be looking at? Ideally I would like to just buy a chair and be happy with it for years. I would like to have something that would last and not just make me miserable after a few hours.

Hmm, that's a tough call. I'm 5'11" in an Aeron C and at the highest point it's only barely "too tall" for me. Though I'm in an Aeron C Classic; I think they may have opened up the range a bit on it for the remaster.

Do you have a Herman Miller dealer (or any other big office furniture name) near you that you could go try sitting in different chairs? Might give you a feel for what's out there.

Also, I guess - where does it hurt? Different chairs are better at supporting different sections of the legs/back better, although ideally anything in the Aeron-tier will be "good" at most everything and maybe stick out as "great" in one point.

Alternatively, the Aeron does come in a stool variant that I believe starts 2-3 inches above the top of the standard travel, and goes up from there.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Sorry, I guess I could have elaborated on what ailed me. I think that the seat of my current chair is too narrow and my butt/the back of my thighs get uncomfortable. I would also like some more adjustable back options so that I can adjust to my back. I am not sure if I would need extra height adjustment more so than the better chair structure. I currently have my chair adjusted lower to fit under my desk right now and I just regularly stretch my legs. I end up uncomfortable and squirm around into bad seating positions over time to relieve pressure on my butt/rear thighs.

My next project for this desk is adjustable/taller legs though since I just messed around with raising my chair and liked it. So I am not super concerned about the chair height because I think that I can get taller casters or figure something else out if needed to make the while chair feel higher. I will look to see if I have open stores around me though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sorry, I guess I could have elaborated on what ailed me. I think that the seat of my current chair is too narrow and my butt/the back of my thighs get uncomfortable. I would also like some more adjustable back options so that I can adjust to my back. I am not sure if I would need extra height adjustment more so than the better chair structure. I currently have my chair adjusted lower to fit under my desk right now and I just regularly stretch my legs. I end up uncomfortable and squirm around into bad seating positions over time to relieve pressure on my butt/rear thighs.

My next project for this desk is adjustable/taller legs though since I just messed around with raising my chair and liked it. So I am not super concerned about the chair height because I think that I can get taller casters or figure something else out if needed to make the while chair feel higher. I will look to see if I have open stores around me though.

Oh, gotcha. Maybe I fixated too hard on your height, then, my bad!

The Aeron C may very well work for you, then, since the seat pan does seem to be plenty wide. However, it flares up quite a bit around the edges, and when I borrowed my wife's chair I found this out the hard way - I thought I was going to LOVE this chair, and it turns out I don't much like it at all! (My fat rear end fits in the chair just fine; I just have a habit of kicking my legs to the side to go around my footrest when I'm not using it, and that causes them to get into fights with the seat frame)

The Embody has a nice wide seat pan, but I found I didn't like the upper-back support on it :( (I really like to lean back, though)

I think both the Celle and Mirra both have pretty traditional seatpans, so those might work too. I recall the Celle being pretty roomy when I had one at work for a period of time.

I ended up ordering a Cosm, but it's a strange chair - zero adjustments outside of the height. You REALLY have to know what you're getting into before you grab it, I think. The support seemed phenomenal all the way from the thighs up to the upper back, in ways that none of the other chairs in the store seemed to be able to compare to, but it's also a chair I know I'll have to change some of my habits to fit to, I think. (I'll know on July 31, I guess)

As for Steelcase, I think the Leap and Gesture are both plenty roomy and plenty adjustable, but I don't like the tilt mechanisms on them so :rip: me I guess. Of course, it's all about learning what you like and don't like, and this thread seems to love both those chairs something fierce, so I'm more than willing to accept that I'm just an odd duck.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So WFH meant me and the wife needed new chairs

I'm very happy with these for $250 each.

Very comfortable, great reclining. Optional headrest available.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I need a desk chair since I've been doing school from home, I spend a good 6-8 hours in that chair doing homework, go for a walk and then I play video games, write, or draw. I'm on the heftier side (380) and want to know what's a nice soft comfortable chair I can use for an extended period of time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

E: wrong thread

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Would anybody happen to have a recommendation for a chair suited for chronic back pain? I have spinal arthritis along with back spasms that randomly lock up my back and would like something to help with keeping me comfortable while sitting at a desk while trying to play games. Apologies if the question is kinda vague but I'm not sure what other info I could put in to help.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Go and try as many chairs as you can, maybe ask your doctor if they have recommendations. The Herman Miller Embody looks like an incredible chair but without knowing your budget it's hard to tell if it would be a good option.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Thanks Ants posted:

Go and try as many chairs as you can, maybe ask your doctor if they have recommendations. The Herman Miller Embody looks like an incredible chair but without knowing your budget it's hard to tell if it would be a good option.

Definitely this!

Also, I look a lot at warranty length these days too - I figure longer, more robust warranties generally indicate that the chair is designed to hold up under use rather than the cheaper plush chairs with the padding that flattens out after two years or so.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is it better to get a mesh chair with no padding, or what? I don't want whatever I buy to flatten out after a couple of years. Also where do you go to buy office chairs? Office Max? Lowes? Home Depot? I want to find something that won't suck and be comfy since this may be the only chair I buy for a long time.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Boba Pearl posted:

Is it better to get a mesh chair with no padding, or what? I don't want whatever I buy to flatten out after a couple of years. Also where do you go to buy office chairs? Office Max? Lowes? Home Depot? I want to find something that won't suck and be comfy since this may be the only chair I buy for a long time.

"it depends", unfortunately.

Lower-quality mesh chairs have the propensity to sag/be less supportive in the same way that lower-quality foam chairs can flatten.

As for where to go, if you are in a metro that happens to have a showroom for either Herman Miller, Steelcase, Humanscale, or any of the other business-focused brands, I'd suggest starting there first. (Though, be aware that pricing will be expensive. But! If you find something you like, then you can try and see if there are any deals on used versions of those chairs nearby/online).

I think I see Ikea chairs posted in this thread, and if not then you can take a look at OfficeDepot, Staples, etc. Maybe Costco or something. I'm not sure that Lowe's or Home Depot would have office chairs, but maybe?

My last chair was from Office Depot; it ran about $350 and lasted a good 5 years or so. The current one I'm looking at is a little over double that, but I'm expecting it'll last much more than 10 years.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Anyone have a recommendation for a mat for very deep/plush carpet? I've tried the thickest ones I could find at both costco and office depot and in both cases after a couple hours the mat had huge dents and the chair wouldn't roll anymore. I only weigh about 190 so it's really just the carpet. I've been considering even getting a sheet of MDF or something, though I doubt that would hold up and I'd have to cut around my desk in weird ways.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rescue Toaster posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a mat for very deep/plush carpet? I've tried the thickest ones I could find at both costco and office depot and in both cases after a couple hours the mat had huge dents and the chair wouldn't roll anymore. I only weigh about 190 so it's really just the carpet. I've been considering even getting a sheet of MDF or something, though I doubt that would hold up and I'd have to cut around my desk in weird ways.

I can't vouch for them personally, but they do make glass chair mats. It sounds like a crazy idea but the reviews are good. :shrug: https://www.amazon.ca/Lorell-Tempered-Glass-Chair-82833/dp/B07K95V7X2

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
That does seem crazy but it says it's ok for high pile carpet. I'll have to ponder if there's any case of me dropping something sharp on it since I would guess that could still be an issue.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

I feel you man. I can't imagine being 6'8". Being 6'6" is bad enough for finding cars and chairs to fit in comfortably. Let me know if you have luck finding something.

Does anyone know of a good quality chair for a tall person? I'm 6'6". I'd prefer it to be under $300. Plenty of cushion. I had one of those mesh chairs and they just weren't comfortable after any significant period of time.

I sat in a "Lay-Z-Boy Big and Tall" chair, and while it was better than the mesh I have now, I have heard it is not at all well built and will fall apart within a year or two. None of the chairs I tried at Office Max were good, because the head rest starts at my shoulders and isn't comfy at all.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 30, 2020

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Picked up an Ikea Markus today. It's leaps and bounds better than the "executive office chair" that my dad was insisting I use. Even if I only use it for the next 2-3 months while I'm staying here, it'll totally be worth it.

For those of you hoping for some sort of resolution with my dad--there was none. The moment I got the chair it went from being a "waste of money" to "oh how do you like it? I was thinking of replacing mine. Can I try it out?" No irony and no acknowledgement that just a week ago he was yelling at me and storming around the house for me even thinking about spending money on a new chair. Boomer dads!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The Markus is good for the money. Still, your dad sucks. Call him a noob

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I have a HÅG 04 Credo and I'd like to replace the bit that you twist to "tighten" it (so you don't lean back so far). I don't know what it's called though or how to Google it, it's this thing under the seat:

Anyone know what it's called and/or if it's easy to replace?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

I feel you man. I can't imagine being 6'8". Being 6'6" is bad enough for finding cars and chairs to fit in comfortably. Let me know if you have luck finding something.

Does anyone know of a good quality chair for a tall person? I'm 6'6". I'd prefer it to be under $300. Plenty of cushion. I had one of those mesh chairs and they just weren't comfortable after any significant period of time.

I sat in a "Lay-Z-Boy Big and Tall" chair, and while it was better than the mesh I have now, I have heard it is not at all well built and will fall apart within a year or two. None of the chairs I tried at Office Max were good, because the head rest starts at my shoulders and isn't comfy at all.

There are companies that make chairs for bigger than average people in height or weight, my first job the facilities guy and I actually went to a local commercial office furniture supply company to pick up two chairs for some new hires. They weren’t cheap but were built for someone well north of six feet and a thousand pounds. Sorry, I don’t have specific examples but there’s stuff out there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wasabi the J posted:

So WFH meant me and the wife needed new chairs

I'm very happy with these for $250 each.

Very comfortable, great reclining. Optional headrest available.

This looks awesome thanks for the rec. I've been looking around for a new chair but can't come close to being able to afford the Herman Miller, Steelcase, Humanscale etc that people keep recommending so this seems like a good compromise. I was looking at the Markus for a while too but as a traditionally goon-sized goon (~275lbs on a good day) the weight limit on these chairs is always a concern of mine, even though I'm not totally sure what exceeding that limit would do for a chair. I'm using a "Big and tall" style executive chair I bought from Amazon a few years ago that has served it's purpose, but any time I search for fat guy chairs on Amazon it's pretty much exclusively these huge poofy leather chairs and I'm not so much into that style of chair.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

explosivo posted:

This looks awesome thanks for the rec. I've been looking around for a new chair but can't come close to being able to afford the Herman Miller, Steelcase, Humanscale etc that people keep recommending so this seems like a good compromise. I was looking at the Markus for a while too but as a traditionally goon-sized goon (~275lbs on a good day) the weight limit on these chairs is always a concern of mine, even though I'm not totally sure what exceeding that limit would do for a chair. I'm using a "Big and tall" style executive chair I bought from Amazon a few years ago that has served it's purpose, but any time I search for fat guy chairs on Amazon it's pretty much exclusively these huge poofy leather chairs and I'm not so much into that style of chair.

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest.

I will say that I had a roommate once whose computer chair was always hosed up - tilting backwards and off to the side kinda thing. It didn't even seem to matter how new the chair was; he was pretty good at loving them up real fast.

I wouldn't have guessed that he was *that* much heavier than I was, so I'm wondering if he was just sorta "falling" into the chair or something, instead of sitting down. I dunno. The similar chairs that I had from that era (and still have, actually!) just had the padding all flatten out over the years, to the point where it hurts my back now.

Most of the chair issues I've seen are some variation of:
* gas piston won't stay at the selected height anymore
* tilt limiter fails to fully engage anymore
* suspension material (mesh or foam) loses structural integrity over time

I did have one EXTREMELY budget-quality kitchen chair set that had only 4 points on the caster 'star'; due to the construction of the star, each lobe started twisting sideways because leaning back centered in-between two legs would put a lot of lateral stress on the caster, I guess. I've never seen an office chair (even a $50 Office Max version) fail in that manner.

I just had a thought - while I realize this thread tends to suggest expensive stuff, it's typically because it lasts practically forever. In 2013, my favorite chair in the office was a Steelcase 454 from around 1990; for some reason, the curve on the back of the chair matched my back really well, and I liked the tilt mechanism on it. So, you might want to check Google for "used office furniture [city] [state]" (or maybe "refurbished" instead of "used") and see if you get any hits; you might be able to get something good at a reasonable price there. I've seen Steelcase 454s on the internet for as low as $50, Leaps for $250, etc. I have no idea how much shipping would be, though, and like always I'd recommend trying to sit in one first to make sure you like it before you pull the trigger. (Although I realize that isn't always possible)

Zarin fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 1, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

explosivo posted:

It's impressive. The base is steel so it feels solid as hell.

The recline is adjustable, and my only issue is the tension isn't as light as I want it, but only just. Everything else is great.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

greazeball posted:

I have a HÅG 04 Credo and I'd like to replace the bit that you twist to "tighten" it (so you don't lean back so far). I don't know what it's called though or how to Google it, it's this thing under the seat:

Anyone know what it's called and/or if it's easy to replace?

I think it's called a "tensioner" or "tension adjustment" or something like that.

As for ease of replacing, that's something I wouldn't know the first thing about. Might be worth it to either call a local dealer or the company directly, ask for the Service department, and see what they have to say.

Sorry I'm not more help :(

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I ended up buying one of these, https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/330812/Serta-iComfort-i5000-Big-And-Tall/

It has a really cool feature, where the lumbar support deflates if you lean backwards, I've never had a chair with lumbar support before, I had been using an old low to the ground kind of lounge chair

Which is nice, because the lumbar support when I first started using it didn't make me uncomfortable, but the way it pushed on the small on my back was a bit of an adjustment. Still it's comfy and it works.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wasabi the J posted:

It's impressive. The base is steel so it feels solid as hell.

The recline is adjustable, and my only issue is the tension isn't as light as I want it, but only just. Everything else is great.

Just ordered, Newegg had it with the headrest for the same price as Amazon without it so I went with them instead. God I can't wait to roll this chair into the dumpster.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
My favorite chair ever is the Steelcase Uno but it costs $300+ dollars and it's apparently very niche. Is there any other chair like it (spring type recline that supports your back with increasing force as you lean back into it)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Steelcase Think is similar to that, as are a lot of the Humanscale chairs.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
As for anything with "increasing force as you lean back into it", I suspect anything with a tilt-tensioner would behave similarly, but I'm not entirely sure how that chair sits to positively confirm that or not.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Zarin posted:

As for anything with "increasing force as you lean back into it", I suspect anything with a tilt-tensioner would behave similarly, but I'm not entirely sure how that chair sits to positively confirm that or not.

Like a spring (Hookes law). No adjustable tension or lock it just passively matches the weight you lean back against it with

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Leap does that as well but I can't quite tell if it's the same as that chair.
The seat pan does move forward when you lean back which you might not like.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

~Coxy posted:

Leap does that as well but I can't quite tell if it's the same as that chair.
The seat pan does move forward when you lean back which you might not like.

I think that’s what I had at a job and I didn’t like it... Oh well

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I think that’s what I had at a job and I didn’t like it... Oh well

Yeah, I'm not so sure the leap did that, since the Leap back moves independently of the seat pan.

It looks like the seat pan and back of that Uno lean back together, at the same rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Edit: It looks like you can find refurbished ones for $199 if you're patient. A Google search showed me that Walmart, Newegg, and Amazon have all carried refurbished ones at some point in time.

This one looks to still be available, but the only color is Burgundy:
https://www.dailysteals.com/products/steelcase-uno-multipurpose-chair-mid-back

To be honest, given the nature of this thread, if you know for a FACT that this is your favorite chair of all-time . . . I'd say go for it haha.

Actual edit: I have no idea how good "daily steals dot com" is, btw