Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

your heart is a barren wasteland devoid of joy (no offence)
I don't agree that it's routine, but I do agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

homullus posted:

I hadn't seen it and have been also been playing video games longer than most of you have been alive. I am not convinced akimbo = dual wield is as widespread as you think, and akimbo = wearing two of something is a sad kind of confusion.

I think in your case, the astounding part is an adult is being a jerk to someone for their use of the word. The exact commonality is immaterial, you didn't seem to get the reference and were insulting about it.

Even if its rare in general, a cyberpunk game thread is exactly the place for lingo at the intersection between hongkong action films and video games. But its not a place for you to dismiss people as children or compare them to confederate icons for references you don't understand. That you've played games longer than most of us have been alive, but missed Blood, Action Quake, and The Opera is truly tragic. But your tragedy isn't justification to lash out.

Edit: I never played Blood :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sebmojo posted:

it's absolutely routine, and using it for an eyepatch made sense to me and your heart is a barren wasteland devoid of joy (no offence)

That page says it’s a reference to “akimbo”, but the akimbo page doesn’t have anything about dual anythings.

quote:

With a crook or bend; with the hand on the hip and elbow turned outward

You can certainly have just one arm akimbo, which would mean...what, in this brave new world?

Wheels within wheels.

(I took OP’s phrase to mean that the eyepatches were misaligned, originally.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Subjunctive posted:

That page says it’s a reference to “akimbo”, but the akimbo page doesn’t have anything about dual anythings.

You can certainly have just one arm akimbo, which would mean...what, in this brave new world?

Wheels within wheels.

(I took OP’s phrase to mean that the eyepatches were misaligned, originally.)

oh, sorry wrong reference - I meant to link this:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

piL posted:

compare them to confederate icons for references you don't understand

whoa now, let's not say things we don't mean. Maybe you haven't had statues pulled down in your area recently, but in places that happens, people start petitions to replace them with things that are better. It wasn't a "comparison to Confederate icons."

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Nope, still nonsense.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

homullus posted:

whoa now, let's not say things we don't mean. Maybe you haven't had statues pulled down in your area recently, but in places that happens, people start petitions to replace them with things that are better. It wasn't a "comparison to Confederate icons."

A lot of posturing. A lack of accepting responsibility. It can't be that your phrasing was ambiguous. You could just say thats not what I meant, but instead my 'misunderstanding' of your point is attributed to your baseless insinuation that my lived experience doesn't have this extra layer of depth in it that yours does. You appear so threatened and I don't understand or care much why. Its clear though that you do. But it doesn't help. Nobody thinks more highly of you for it.

So it was a nonsequitor reference to your lived experience and not a comparison to confederate icons that succeeded your dismissal of this person for their use of language, despite that use being fairly legitimate in context though not sufficiently referenced to save you from embarassment. Got it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

anyway im thinking something like this

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Statutory Ape posted:

Without the solid eye system that pirate is in deep poo poo.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

Never cross a pirate cyborg with a seeing eye parrot.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

El_Elegante posted:

maybe the bird can just wifi direct his eyesight into my brain

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Did anyone have a source for the talk of the flathead/spider drone getting cut?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

fennesz posted:

Did anyone have a source for the talk of the flathead/spider drone getting cut?

Honestly, I haven't seen a video or read an article that has him saying it directly, only quotes in videos like "Pavel said..." during the 5 hours that journos had with it.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Statutory Ape posted:

Needs a second parrot so he can be birds akimbo...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Friendly Fire posted:

Needs a second parrot so he can be birds akimbo...

OK, now I’m on board.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So anyway, yeah, holding two pistols at once is neat and might be something we can do in the game.

Bonus points if there's guns that fire things that aren't bullets, and double bonus points for showy reloads.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Subjunctive posted:

OK, now I’m on board.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

dragonshardz posted:

Bonus points if there's guns that fire things that aren't bullets, and double bonus points for showy reloads.

I'm going to refund this game if I can't reload akimbo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Gundlach's hawk akimbo

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

He needs to have some kind of smart ship he can remote pilot so he can akimbo boats.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Weekend at Rackham's starring Two Birds. :parrot::yarr::parrot:

marshmallow creep posted:

Honestly, I haven't seen a video or read an article that has him saying it directly, only quotes in videos like "Pavel said..." during the 5 hours that journos had with it.

Yeah, it was just a bullet summary someone made saying that it got removed as a gameplay style because it was too similar to another? But several of the early access people said they played through the mission with the X-eye dudes so :iiam:.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

ymgve posted:

have you never heard about using "akimbo" to refer to dual wielding weapons before? did you literally discover video games yesterday?

Fun fact: I may actually be the first person to coin this term with relationship to videogames. I'm welcome to be wrong, but I think the first usage of this term with relation to videogames was in Action Quake 2.

EDIT: Nevermind, as someone pointed out, it's in Blood, which is earlier than AQ2 by a year.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 30, 2020

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Weekend at Rackham's starring Two Birds. :parrot::yarr::parrot:

Yeah, it was just a bullet summary someone made saying that it got removed as a gameplay style because it was too similar to another? But several of the early access people said they played through the mission with the X-eye dudes so :iiam:.

From what I understand the mission with the flathead is still there, you just don't get to use it afterwards.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/28/cyberpunk-2077-radiohead-tattoo/

Can we make this thread about Judy?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wait the character class whose main class feature was the cool robot spider-drone pet that we’ve known about for over a year is being changed and now you don’t get a robot spider-friend?

WHAT THE FUK

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/hhvpi8/most_interesting_qa_answers_megathread/

have some good poo poo.

i like this one.
You can injure/dismember enemies and then leave them alive and (presumably) disarmed instead of killing them.

it fits with the setting at least since alot of people are half bot anyway.

Reminds me of Metal Gear Rising where you chop a dudes arms and legs off and that's considered to be a non-lethal takedown.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Wait the character class whose main class feature was the cool robot spider-drone pet that we’ve known about for over a year is being changed and now you don’t get a robot spider-friend?

WHAT THE FUK

there are no classes lol

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah I'm pretty sure what they said was all the features are still there, just integrated into the netrunner.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
According to this summary, your flathead robot pal can no longer be a permanent companion. It’s a Reddit post of a translation of a German podcast. https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkg...tm_source=share

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow that sucks that was the plan for my entire first character.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Is something like a spider robot companion a thing that might typically be able to be modded into a game like this based on their last releases?

I've never played a game by these people and after Star Wars Galaxies I decided to not get hyped about basically any game ever again til it came out lol

itry
Aug 23, 2019

twig1919 posted:

I'm going to refund this game if I can't reload akimbo.

Really liked the character's looks/mannerism.

Edit:

Heh

quote:

In related news, something incredibly important was recently confirmed: as it turns out, you can pet the cat in Cyberpunk 2077. There has been no intel on dog-petting yet

itry fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 30, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

She leads a gang of former prostitutes who do protection for sex workers? Neat idea. Hope they do it (and a million other things) right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

doingitwrong posted:

According to this summary, your flathead robot pal can no longer be a permanent companion. It’s a Reddit post of a translation of a German podcast. https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkg...tm_source=share

not surprised. apparently tech class has been sidelined a bit as awell. apparently the flathead felt redundant because everything it could do, you could do, and you had to control it to do the stuff. so yeah.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’ve made the mistake of playing pet classes in games that weren’t optimized for it (or: me summoning more pets than the pathfinding can handle) so I respect designers who can recognize it’s a bad experience and cut it so I don’t have to sucker myself into playing it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Statutory Ape posted:

Is something like a spider robot companion a thing that might typically be able to be modded into a game like this based on their last releases?

I've never played a game by these people and after Star Wars Galaxies I decided to not get hyped about basically any game ever again til it came out lol

It would depend on how moddable the game is and how much of the spiderbot is actually coded into the game already. They're saying they cut it because of class/gameplay overlap, but a drone that can walk on any surface and that you were going to be able to remote into and control probably had about eight million different glitches and bugs associated with it. Cutting it is probably saving them a lot of work. Expecting a modder, or even a team of modders, to be able to get it to a playable state is a big ask.

Saw a tweet that is tangentially about her but really about tattoos in games more broadly

https://twitter.com/Wonder_Phoenix/status/1276244222924988416?s=20

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Skippy McPants posted:

She leads a gang of former prostitutes who do protection for sex workers? Neat idea. Hope they do it (and a million other things) right.

Nah, she doesn't run the gang, she is a member, though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I will align myself with the sex people and do all the cool sex stuff in this game

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I do worry about how they’ll handle some stuff, but one thing W3 showed was CDPR does understand how to portray underclasses sympathetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I guess my brain is broken because brain dance looked really cool to me but most people who got to play the game seemed not to like it. I get that it conjures up that interminable "enhance" scene from Blade Runner but it looks like a nice refinement of Witcher sense, and it seems perfectly fitting as a popular form of entertainment in this setting.