Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, I'm eager to upgrade my PC, but it's just a bad time between the RTX 30 series and the Zen 3 coming out as (at least rumored) big leaps forward.

Also everything is out of stock or price hiked because of the covid anyway.

Here's your nightmare scenario:
The covid second wave hits this fall in time with the release of the new hardware (Zen 3 and RTX30 with related mobos etc) and not only will prices be the same or higher but stock will continue to be largely nonexistent.
Alternatively the economy crashes and they delay the releases some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

shrike82 posted:

The 3-series is going to end up another transitional generation given how immature the RTX and DLSS implementations are. 3060 and 3070 aren’t going to run games with RTX effects at high settings and I suspect 3080 and 3090 buyers would have bought them regardless of their feature set.

Aside from the glorious days of the PS3/360 where everything was a port but extra detail for PC was not standard yet, there has never been a time when you could buy a low/midrange GPU and just slam everything to max in every game and get great performance.

With consoles also having some raytracing and the push for 4k on console (which really means any target resolution >1080p) we're going to see an explosion in both raytracing and upscaling support. I really can't find any angle from which I can agree with what you're saying here.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Any guesses as to how mobile laptop chips will fare for the 3000 series? So primary concern will be power consumption and nVidia limited all their high end mobile options to 150w tgp initially, before allowing manufacturers to raise it to 200w on the highest end 2080 model. The 2070 and 2060 super models are limited to 115w.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Aside from the glorious days of the PS3/360 where everything was a port but extra detail for PC was not standard yet, there has never been a time when you could buy a low/midrange GPU and just slam everything to max in every game and get great performance.

With consoles also having some raytracing and the push for 4k on console (which really means any target resolution >1080p) we're going to see an explosion in both raytracing and upscaling support. I really can't find any angle from which I can agree with what you're saying here.

What don't you agree with?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That the 3000 series is going to be "transitional" and not be pretty much the same as most GPU generations for the past 10 years. The implication that low/medium RT settings aren't quickly going to become like low/medium settings for everything else where you get 90% of the quality at a fraction of the performance cost. The consoles will have extremely budget RT, meaning developers are going to be forced to be judicious and efficient with its usage on console, which will translate well to PC. Over the next couple years, raytracing is going to become as common as every other widely adopted technology has. Same thing with upscaling. 4k is the new frontier, and you cannot meaningfully drive it without upscaling, meaning upscaling is going to become yet another universal constant across both PC and console.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Not sure you can treat RT/DLSS as normal GPU generational updates when we've seen big changes in implementation over the past year.
There's no reason to believe the specific hardware and launch driver implementation for the 3000 series is mature especially when the underlying tech is still young (just look at research around super-sampling).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

shrike82 posted:

Not sure you can treat RT/DLSS as normal GPU generational updates when we've seen big changes in implementation over the past year.
There's no reason to believe the specific hardware and launch driver implementation for the 3000 series is mature especially when the underlying tech is still young (just look at research around super-sampling).

Sure, but look at it this way: major titles are mostly developed for consoles first, PCs second. It's just how it is in a lot of cases. With consoles having a fixed and limited RT capability, and the 30-series presumably having considerably higher RT capability other than maybe at the 3060 level, they're not going to suddenly find themselves behind the power curve in the RT realm. DLSS 2.0 is, I'll grant you, an open question as to adoption, but as it's already working on the 20-series, there's no reason to believe that NVidia is in a hurry to drop DLSS 3.0 or whatever that'll require 40-series hardware, especially considering how well it seems to work right now.

The 20-series was very obviously priming the pump in terms of ray-tracing. Everyone assumed it would be a "short" generation because the performance gains were poor, the prices were high, and it was clearly a first-gen product in terms of RT. Yet the 2080 was released in Sep 2018, so if the 3080 drops sometime this fall, it'll have been ~24 months. It was ~28 months 1080 -> 2080, and ~24 months 980 -> 1080. So even the "obviously gonna be a short" generation...wasn't. And between the move to 7nm and everything else, there's a reasonable expectation that the 30-series will be notably more powerful over the 20-series than the 20-series is over the 10-series.

In terms of being "transitional," uh, sure, I guess. In the same way that every generation since the 9-series has been "transitional" on its way to 4k gaming, yeah, the xx60 part isn't gonna be able to do full-on RT the way the higher end parts will. Same way the 1060 couldn't do 4k and now the 2060 can't do high-fps 4k. Doesn't mean 4k gaming isn't A Thing.

Basically I don't get what you're trying to say, other than you don't think that full-scene ray-tracing is ready for prime time yet, which is true: it isn't. But there are plenty of things you can do short of that.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 30, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

We haven't seen any benchmarks contrasting RT performance between the 2 series and the 3 series. The only comparision we've seen so far is a general graphic benchmark boost of 20% for what looks to be a 3080 over a 2080 Ti. People then argued that DLSS2.0 would widen the gap even more although it's not clear how much of a boost a 3-series card would provide.

CP2077 isn't even going to be out when people decide if they're going to buy a 3-series. We haven't even seen RTX effects on the previews they've shown. Are there any marquee RT-enabled titles people are going to be able to benchmark?

I'm happily going to buy a 3-series Titan + A100 PCiE for a gaming + compute setup but I think it's odd people are hyping up the 3-series before we've seen any benchmarks, pricing, or RTX previews for big upcoming games.

Edit: I guess ultimately we're just spinning our wheels waiting for Nvidia to announce pricing and we see benchmarks. Consider all this an idle argument till then

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 30, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dumb, yes, but unusual? Every next thing is going to be the biggest thing ever.

The interesting thing to see will be how many people will be upset that CP2077 isn't the second coming. By all accounts Witcher 3 is very good so I trust that CDPR isn't making a bad videogame and that most people will be happy with it, but the sheer amount of hype around it is crazy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Let's all argue about how a game that isn't out yet will run on video cards that aren't out yet.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Let's all argue about how a game that isn't out yet will run on video cards that aren't out yet.

Is there really something better we should be doing while we're all locked up at home?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There are still a bunch of open research questions in super-sampling, I think?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

DrDork posted:

Is there really something better we should be doing while we're all locked up at home?

the people not posting are probably playing 30 year old games on 2080tis

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

By definition, drat near anything.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Yeah, but I can do that and poast, so here I am.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Cactus posted:

As a 970 owner waiting to upgrade... I feel this post in the depths of my bones.

I'm planning on making a new build based around a 3080 and upgrading to 1440p with all the bells and whistles, and coming from a 770 I'm pretty sure my head's going to explode

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lockback posted:

It's 2003 + HL2 + R300 vs Geforce FX in DX9 all over again minus source code leak

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Statutory Ape posted:

Excuse me Roller Coaster Tycoon is only 20 years old :colbert:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh hey it's that part of the thread cycle where I complain about geforce fx cards lying about DX9 support and running half life 2 like dogshit again :v: I'm still mad about that one

So naturally I went to ati after that and of course I went from that aforementioned nvidia "shader 2.0 support*" nonsense to having to fish for omega drivers. GPUs in the early 00s were the wild west.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Oh dear. The trailer for Crysis Remastered has leaked via the Microsoft Store.

According to the trailer, this is PC footage. It looks like a simple port to CryEngine 5, with nothing much else going on at all. The size of the game is 7GB (I think the current release is 6+GB) and release is the 23rd of July. Very disappointing and looks like a cash grab aimed at PS4 and Xbone to me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Riflen posted:

Oh dear. The trailer for Crysis Remastered has leaked via the Microsoft Store.

According to the trailer, this is PC footage. It looks like a simple port to CryEngine 5, with nothing much else going on at all. The size of the game is 7GB (I think the current release is 6+GB) and release is the 23rd of July. Very disappointing and looks like a cash grab aimed at PS4 and Xbone to me.

Not much of an upgrade, but it's still an incredible looking game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I've always maintained before that any potential Crysis remaster literally only needs reworking to work with multiple cores, and that's pretty much what we're getting here. It's insanely ahead of its time.

13 years old... jesus christ

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

Not much of an upgrade, but it's still an incredible looking game.

Proper gamepad support means I'm in, gently caress it. Any graphical increases are a bonus. I booted up Crysis on my current computer and it still looks stupid good, some raytracing and drat it's gonna look incredible.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

shrike82 posted:

CP2077 isn't even going to be out when people decide if they're going to buy a 3-series. We haven't even seen RTX effects on the previews they've shown. Are there any marquee RT-enabled titles people are going to be able to benchmark?

Thinking it will be Sept again? Looks like historically they were towards around April but it looked like they were positioning for this year.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Carecat posted:

Thinking it will be Sept again? Looks like historically they were towards around April but it looked like they were positioning for this year.

For the 30-series release? Well, April has come and gone, obviously, but there are a bunch of signs suggesting sometime this fall. Month/date TBD, just like prices.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Initial rumors were late Q3 (so, Sept) but I would put money on actual availability to be more like November-December.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

Is there a better title than Control to see DLSS 2.0 implemented well? The texture LODs with DLSS enabled seemed bad enough to make it tempting to turn off RT + DLSS, so I wouldn't need to get right up to the directional signs to read them. (2080 TI, 1440p, everything cranked...) My hope is that's an implementation issue (maybe LOD distance tied to screen %/visibility at the pre-DLSS rendering resolution?) instead of an actual DLSS 2.0 issue.

Still loved the game, but the level of "DLSS 2.0 is the best thing since sliced bread" in this thread makes me wonder if we played the same game. (Don't get me wrong, it's very good tech and I'd like to see it more widely adopted, but I don't think it's as far beyond the other reconstruction tech out there as others seem to.)

Ephemerous fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 30, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ephemerous posted:

, but I don't think it's as far beyond the other reconstruction tech out there as others seem to.

get this information to nvidia and amd stat

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of dlss nvidia apparently leaked a press release confirming it for death stranding

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/death-stranding-pc-support-dlss-2-0-tech/

horizon zero dawn is on the same engine so it's a safe-ish bet it will have it as well

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ephemerous posted:

Is there a better title than Control to see DLSS 2.0 implemented well? The texture LODs with DLSS enabled seemed bad enough to make it tempting to turn off RT + DLSS, so I wouldn't need to get right up to the directional signs to read them. (2080 TI, 1440p, everything cranked...) My hope is that's an implementation issue (maybe LOD distance tied to screen %/visibility at the pre-DLSS rendering resolution?) instead of an actual DLSS 2.0 issue.

Still loved the game, but the level of "DLSS 2.0 is the best thing since sliced bread" in this thread makes me wonder if we played the same game. (Don't get me wrong, it's very good tech and I'd like to see it more widely adopted, but I don't think it's as far beyond the other reconstruction tech out there as others seem to.)

Mechwarrior 5 uses DLSS, though it's not terribly intensive so the DLSS effect is a little muted. It looks great with DLSS though, I wouldn't know it was on.

Even with a 2080S Minecraft is pretty bad without DLSS though pretty good with it on and no real impact.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wolfenstein Youngblood is a crap game with great RTX and DLSS 2.0 implementation. I’ve shown my friends what both can do with some dicking around with settings on there.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wolfenstein Youngblood is a crap game with great RTX and DLSS 2.0 implementation. I’ve shown my friends what both can do with some dicking around with settings on there.

Can confirm this. Also the game has a demo on Steam.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Trying to figure out what’s crashing a project laptop. It’s got a Core2 quad CPU and a Quadro FX3700. Latest clean install of windows, latest Nvidia driver from Oct. 2016. When I watch YouTube inside the chrome based edge browser the GPU load goes to 25-50% for a 1080p video. GPU Temps are like 50C. Sometimes it will just be fine but sometimes the whole screen will black out while audio is still playing and then it will come back and the video will still be playing. However if it does it a 2nd time the screen never comes back from black but the audio keeps going. Makes me think it’s a graphics driver crash. Just not sure if it’s bum hardware or the latest browser/YouTube not playing well with the older driver.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Honestly, nVidia will probably launch the 30-series cards in EXTREMELY limited quantity (probably to the point where they'll make the reviewers *give their cards back*) in September just to claim they did it, but unless you get extremely lucky and beat out a retail-scouring bot that can clear out a store's stock before your brain can send the impulse to click your mouse on the "Buy Now" button, "we" probably won't be getting our hands on the cards in bulk until closer to Christmas.

The cards supposedly aren't even entering production until August. It's gonna be a skin-of-their-teeth release.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Honestly, nVidia will probably launch the 30-series cards in EXTREMELY limited quantity (probably to the point where they'll make the reviewers *give their cards back*) in September just to claim they did it, but unless you get extremely lucky and beat out a retail-scouring bot that can clear out a store's stock before your brain can send the impulse to click your mouse on the "Buy Now" button, "we" probably won't be getting our hands on the cards in bulk until closer to Christmas.

The cards supposedly aren't even entering production until August. It's gonna be a skin-of-their-teeth release.

I hope you're wrong because I'm hoping for a 3070 around the Cyberpunk 2077 release :negative:

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Trying to figure out what’s crashing a project laptop. It’s got a Core2 quad CPU and a Quadro FX3700. Latest clean install of windows, latest Nvidia driver from Oct. 2016. When I watch YouTube inside the chrome based edge browser the GPU load goes to 25-50% for a 1080p video. GPU Temps are like 50C. Sometimes it will just be fine but sometimes the whole screen will black out while audio is still playing and then it will come back and the video will still be playing. However if it does it a 2nd time the screen never comes back from black but the audio keeps going. Makes me think it’s a graphics driver crash. Just not sure if it’s bum hardware or the latest browser/YouTube not playing well with the older driver.

Try another browser. I have similar things happen on the Edge browser and I'm using Intel integrated graphics.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

pik_d posted:

I hope you're wrong because I'm hoping for a 3070 around the Cyberpunk 2077 release :negative:

Yeah I'm hoping to go 1080 to 3080 which should be 50%~ faster but I'm not touching a founders edition and have to brace for the fact it will cost 25% more than the 1080 did. Ti isn't even on the menu based off how insanely expensive the 2080Ti was.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riflen posted:

Can confirm this. Also the game has a demo on Steam.

Does the demo have all the NVidia stuff? That was all post-release updates and companies rarely update demos.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Carecat posted:

Yeah I'm hoping to go 1080 to 3080 which should be 50%~ faster but I'm not touching a founders edition and have to brace for the fact it will cost 25% more than the 1080 did. Ti isn't even on the menu based off how insanely expensive the 2080Ti was.

For me personally I hope the power draw isn't much higher. I'm planning on upgrading 1080ti to 3080ti/3090 (whichever is available on release) but wondering about power requirements. I know the 2080ti already draws around 50w more, which is kinda making me jittery about the prospect of needing a new PSU as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'd check for any physical damage first, then depending on how comfortable you are with it, you can try re-flashing your card's BIOS with NVFlash. I've seen a few cases where certain features stop working or cards have instability & either flashing a new BIOS or re-flashing the existing one sometimes fixes the problem.

So, no physical damage, so I decided to flash the BIOS. I of course didn't have a copy, so I found a stock FE BIOS online and flashed it.

You're a legend my friend, I am back 144hz HDR on my displayport. I don't know why I didn't think of this, but I'm sure glad you did!